Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Griff Lee posted:

Lucy, Queen of the Dumb Idiots <3

What a beauty. :3:

Tiger would say "hi" but he's busy making music

or sleeping stylishly.

I've actually been separated from him since breaking up with my ex and the neighbourhood stray has already been claimed. Gonna have to find a new synth moggy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Musician's Lounge › Synthesizers MkII: Toxoplasmosis Edition

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
No keyboardcats here.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
FYI I'm sampling out my RS 7000 and one of the pad patches is called Autism. Everyone should have an RS 7000 just so they can try out Autism

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Eh, I'll wait for the software update so I can get Asperger's too

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

Eh, I'll wait for the software update so I can get Asperger's too

Yamaha had an entire line of synths based on that concept, it's the DX series.

Radiapathy posted:

No keyboardcats here.

I need more of this.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Radiapathy posted:

No keyboardcats here.

DCO Dirt Dog

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yamaha had an entire line of synths based on that concept, it's the DX series.

So I got drunk the other night and it seems I've promised this guy to be a test-participant in his new FM-synthesis class. :ohdear:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

He looks like a silly fun dog.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sjoewe posted:

So I got drunk the other night and it seems I've promised this guy to be a test-participant in his new FM-synthesis class. :ohdear:

FM really ain't that bad. You'll see.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Oh man that dog looks way more shortsighted than that:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

FYI I'm sampling out my RS 7000 and one of the pad patches is called Autism. Everyone should have an RS 7000 just so they can try out Autism

Hey, I got one of those. Bank and patch number? I'm tired of trying to get it via vaccines.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Patch #96 in the Synth & Bass Lead 2 bank. I took a picture of it last night but sent it to someone via Snapchat :/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Patch #96 in the Synth & Bass Lead 2 bank. I took a picture of it last night but sent it to someone via Snapchat :/

Here I thought Snapchat was just for dick pics!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stop reading my mind :psyduck:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

net work error posted:

Here I thought Snapchat was just for dick pics!

Pretty sure someone got disappointed when they got a pic of a Yamaha LCD instead of a cock shot.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

She's more interested in VST's than analog.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
She's got good taste

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I would vote for this pug.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I tried talking my wife into recreating your pug's pose near my rack but apparently that wasn't happening and now I'm sleeping on the sofa.

Also this:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Ahahahahahha oh my god

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I would vote for this pug.

You should have chosen the name 'Wafflepug'.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
But the Wafflehound was a real dog

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu3Sm_FWwhI

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There are subtle hints, but if I heard that recording without knowing, I'd be hard-pressed to tell that it was synthesized.

What's the little one used for the trombone solo?

Edit: On second listen, it's not so subtle. Still sounds fantastic though.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 9, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Protip: the word "analogue" does not mean "generates sounds through non-digital means" but actually relates to the synthesizer's ability to create sounds that are strikingly simliar or the "analogue" to instruments they are trying to imitate

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know, it sounds amazing in it's own right and it's incredibly well played, but I can't help thinking that these kind of electronic bands are the main reason a lot of people still dislike synth music. I mean, I never really got the reason why you'd want synths to sound like 'real' instruments, when they can be so much more.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What interests me is the uncanny valley of synth sounds - think Yamaha VL-series, physical modeling DSP poo poo. It sounds like a regular instrument, and then bends into itself and does something; that's kick-rear end.

(in the right hands, of course)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Laserjet 4P posted:

(in the right hands, of course)

Unfortunately that's hard to find, a lot of what's out there is awful jazz fusion with bad soprano sax patches.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

I don't know, it sounds amazing in it's own right and it's incredibly well played, but I can't help thinking that these kind of electronic bands are the main reason a lot of people still dislike synth music. I mean, I never really got the reason why you'd want synths to sound like 'real' instruments, when they can be so much more.
I know what you mean, and I think there's more to it than just the technology used.

As much as I can appreciate the technical performance in that video, I would put it in the same class as like Mannheim Steamroller, who are quite talented musicians who make music which is as far from anything I would ever voluntarily listen to as I can imagine.

But then there's the purely synthesized classical soundtrack that Wendy Carlos did for Clockwork Orange, which I could listen to all day- but then you've also got the "Hooked on Classics" stuff from the 70s and 80s and all of that was pure garbage. Thing is, I can't really put my finger on what makes the difference.

And also this:

Startyde posted:

a lot of what's out there is awful jazz fusion with bad soprano sax patches.

So there are plenty of examples of artists who used synthesizers to simulate "real" instruments or to play traditional music. And then you have Dawn of MIDI who almost do the opposite; they use traditional instruments to simulate computer music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOAb0qjYnAs

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 9, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Arturia Beatsteps have come out already, has anyone had a chance to play with or use one yet? They're so well priced I kind of want one even though I don't need it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

net work error posted:

The Arturia Beatsteps have come out already, has anyone had a chance to play with or use one yet? They're so well priced I kind of want one even though I don't need it.
If those are the same encoders and pads from the MiniLab -and I think that's fairly likely- then that thing isn't worth considering, really. Because those were garbage.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's Arturia tat. Wait a few months: there'll be a better alternatives on the way, and this one will be getting blown out at pennies on the pound.

Much like those Korg nano-thingies (and now the Volcas: man that tide sure did swept past fast), their peak value point is reached on the second hand market.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

So, I had put the whole "softsynths that sound like Virus hypersaw" thing to rest until late Saturday night, when I logged into my SoundCloud to find I had gotten like 1700 listens in that one day. Sunday the same thing. Turned out someone on Reddit had found my KVR thread and posted about it. My listens are back down to virtually nothing again, but I did add a few more synths to the playlist as a result, although I really am seriously done with this particular endeavor, fingers crossed:

The playlist now includes 2 hardware synths and 10 softsynths:

HW: Virus, Blofeld
SW: Alchemy, Diva, DUNE, LuSH-101, Massive, MUX, Spire, Sylenth1, Z3TA+, Zebra2

I re-recorded the Diva example with a higher voice count (had to switch into muti-proc mode) and tried to get it closer to the Virus, but simply wasn't able to make it as bright/fizzy as the Virus. (It's a great synth! I just wasn't able to reproduce that specific sound using only one OSC and the voicing parameters.)

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider/sets/supersaw-comparison

Guys on Reddit really hated the Massive patch. I dunno what to say; I actually know Massive better than any of the other synths I used (other than the Virus itself) and I just couldn't get it any closer to the Virus sound than that. :shrug:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Ugh okay okay I'm caving, I really want a TB-3 ;A; The only specific analog retro synth I'd ever really want is a 303 so it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So the E-mu Morpheus sounds interesting. Is it $150 interesting though? How many Wavestations is it worth?

Edit: I currently have 0 romplers, and this one caught my ear.