Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

...they were put on a list that is read to the player at the beginning of the game?How on earth is Killer Croc an "assassin"?

Well yeah, what other justification you need aside of 'Batman is hunted because a bounty is put on him', and why croc can't be an assassin?

quote:

What does Anarky have to do with anything?

He's a consequence of the power vacuum on Gotham.

quote:

Arkham City framing device does a way better job of explaining the presence and motivations of its different villains, with the possible exception of Azrael.

Really? I honestly felt AC's like someone just crammed famous enemies on the plot just because. Black Mask is a glorified cameo, Bane is an AWFUL take on the character, the Joker's hogging the spotlight as usual, Strange was wasted, the whole thing with Clayface was a little contrived...

AO's story while a little symplistic and by the numbers was more streamlined and with few logic jumps needed to made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

AO is probably one of the worst games I've ever played and aside from the billion technical issues, the story is hamfisted dogshit.

AA & AC are wonderful.

If AO is one of the worst games you've ever played, I envy you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Really? I honestly felt AC's like someone just crammed famous enemies on the plot just because. Black Mask is a glorified cameo, Bane is an AWFUL take on the character, the Joker's hogging the spotlight as usual, Strange was wasted, the whole thing with Clayface was a little contrived...

AO's story while a little symplistic and by the numbers was more streamlined and with few logic jumps needed to made sense.

Read the darn plot explanation post, I spent hours on addressing this stuff. It's not that AC needed "logic jumps", it just requires paying attention and thinking through the different elements. AO is a mess of plotholes that punishes thinking about its content, themes or the motivations of its characters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

How on earth is Killer Croc an "assassin"?
He'll kill people for money?

quote:

If it was just "X is insane" it would be a dumb cop-out, but in AC each character's insanity provides the motivations for their actions. Freeze is specifically obsessed with finding a cure for/protecting his wife. His actions all make sense when understood through that lens. Batman is only actually able to reason with Freeze once he's returned to his wife.

quote:

Why does Mr. Freeze destroy the only thing that could keep Batman healthy enough to save his wife?
Freeze is crazy. Joker has his wife. He believes the best way to get her back is to let Batman die and do what Joker wants.
That isn't what happens though.

Batman returns with the formula from Ra's. Freeze locks up one vial of the cure and destroys the other, and then asks Batman to go save Nora in exchange for the cure. Batman tells him to gently caress off, they fight, then they find Harley took the cure. Freeze gives Batman some upgrades, and says that they both deserve revenge on The Joker.

It's a bunch of characters irrationally fighting instead of talking (which I'm okay with, especially given how cool the fight is). I don't think it's a plot hole, but I don't think your version was correct either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He'll kill people for money?
Well, we've got the sniper assassin, the drug cartel assassin, the mercenary assassin, the martial artist assassin, the big mercenary assassin with other motives, the explosives expert assassin, the inexplicable joke character used to justify a plot device, and... Remember, Joker chose these characters. Why use Croc? "X is insane" is the justification for a lot more of the plot of AO than AC, simply because most of it is the Joker doing things that make no sense. I'm still not clear on why the hit was called out in the first place- Joker didn't really care about Batman at first, so why set up the elaborate hitmen/bombs combo and taunt him with it? If it was the bombs alone and he was just planning to set them off, I would understand.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That isn't what happens though.
Batman returns with the formula from Ra's. Freeze locks up one vial of the cure and destroys the other, and then asks Batman to go save Nora in exchange for the cure. Batman tells him to gently caress off, they fight, then they find Harley took the cure. Freeze gives Batman some upgrades, and says that they both deserve revenge on The Joker.
It's a bunch of characters irrationally fighting instead of talking (which I'm okay with, especially given how cool the fight is). I don't think it's a plot hole, but I don't think your version was correct either.

I'm sorry if my exact response was incorrect, I was working from my own memory and questions provided by, iirc, hobgoblin's criticisms. That said, his demand that Batman go save Nora makes sense from his perspective- either Batman dies and Joker will hopefully give Nora back, or Nora is rescued and the cure stops mattering. Freeze starts helping batman because he has no other way to get his wife back- the Joker betrayed him.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, we've got the sniper assassin, the drug cartel assassin, the mercenary assassin, the martial artist assassin, the big mercenary assassin with other motives, the explosives expert assassin, the inexplicable joke character used to justify a plot device, and...
That video is never not funny.

Croc was also hired to break into Blackgate, and is responsible for a lot of the damage you see there in the tutorial. Black Mask / The Joker used Croc because he needed a super strong guy.

quote:

That said, his demand that Batman go save Nora makes sense from his perspective
It does, and Freeze isn't really acting any more irrationally than Batman at that point (Batman being a dick is an obvious running thing in the game).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
While we're all laughing at Croc for being a dumb guy that hits people with rocks, let's remember that Batman dies in Arkham City from being crushed by a rock (if Catwoman doesn't save him).

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRHW5n99K0

Discendo Vox posted:

What does Anarky have to do with anything?

Anarky fits into Arkham Origins by building off of the corrupt cops of Batman's earlier years.

A better counterargument would have been "What does Alberto Falcone contribute to the game, considering he disappears and is never mentioned, nor is his father shown to be sending people to retrieve him after his disappearance".

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 8, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Anarky fits into Arkham Origins by building off of the corrupt cops of Batman's earlier years.

A better counterargument would have been "What does Alberto Falcone contribute to the game, considering he disappears and is never mentioned, nor is his father shown to be sending people to retrieve him after his disappearance".

No, the better counter would be the audio logs telling us exactly what we knew. Shocking that Loeb was corrupt right? It coulda been nice to have a plot twist in there. The only one remotely plot twisty was that Bullock was originally spying on Gordon for Loeb, but then said "gently caress that noise"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think what was happening there was that when Batman meets Freeze earlier in the game Batman basically tortures him for information. (Removing his little cooling pod and pushing around a weak and frail man) Once Freeze had the cure he probably figured he could do the same thing, so he breaks one vial of the cure so he can feel a bit of power over Batman again. It backfires horribly, but Freeze had revenge on the mind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

bunnyofdoom posted:

The only one remotely plot twisty was that Bullock was originally spying on Gordon for Loeb, but then said "gently caress that noise"

I think that's Bullock's backstory in the comics, actually.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alberto Falcone is the Gotham Knight :tinfoil:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think that's Bullock's backstory in the comics, actually.

Oh, it was during the Silver Age. However, most who play the games are more familiar with his from BTAS, (especially since they got his VA back), where that wasn't his backstory.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

redbackground posted:

Alberto Falcone is the Gotham Knight :tinfoil:

I'm hoping it's Joe Chill because that would be pretty rad.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Who are the couple that Batman freaks out about in Origins, I think it's the last Case File?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Excels posted:

Who are the couple that Batman freaks out about in Origins, I think it's the last Case File?

I think the who is irrelevant. They're nobodies. It's where the murder takes place (Crime Alley, site of the Wayne murders) that matters.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
He says stuff like "I knew them," and gets all distraught over the radio, I was curious if they were close friends of his or something. But I guess it was just a reference to his dead parents.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Excels posted:

He says stuff like "I knew them," and gets all distraught over the radio, I was curious if they were close friends of his or something. But I guess it was just a reference to his dead parents.

They were his socialite friends. AKA his occasional alibi/drinking buddy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Who wants Cold, Cold Heart footage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLCRMbHe5w

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Arkham Knight really needs to get more variety for the voices of their random goons. Cartoon Brooklyn accent goon, Other Cartoon Brooklyn accent but also kind of dumb goon, generic exasperated goon, and gravelly voiced goon are getting old.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I dunno, man, I like beating the poo poo out of Bender seven times in a single ten-man encounter.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Well golly gee do I hate that new Batsuit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Okay, so if Freeze is working with another crime boss, like that video said, it looks like the Cold, Cold Heart DLC is picking up where the Penguin story left off.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It at least looks like it has more variety than Harley's Revenge at the very least.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Sounds like LaMarche is back, which is great. The only person Freeze will ally with would be Penguin. But thinking about it, even if Freeze isn't an assasin so wouldn't really fit in with the main story, at least then they could have said Mistuh J for the DLC. Mind you, whatever way they worked Joker in would have had someone howling.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hopefully it is penguin. I am kind of butt hurt that when I was playing the game, Penguin pretty much just says peace out and is never heard from again.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Arkham Knight really needs to get more variety for the voices of their random goons. Cartoon Brooklyn accent goon, Other Cartoon Brooklyn accent but also kind of dumb goon, generic exasperated goon, and gravelly voiced goon are getting old.

I genuinely like that all of the games have similar sounding goons. It's like Batman is beating the everloving poo poo out of the same dozen guys over and over for his entire career.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Cheap Vodka posted:

I genuinely like that all of the games have similar sounding goons. It's like Batman is beating the everloving poo poo out of the same dozen guys over and over for his entire career.

"I'm not a bad guy!I just make bad choices!" over and over and over and over

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cheap Vodka posted:

The picture of Dorian Goon. John DiMaggio is found dead in his apartment, beaten into a tattered mess- a portrait of himself, smiling and wearing a clown mask, torn and discarded on the floor beside him.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
It sounds like Freeze refers to someone named Boyle at one point, who's that likely to be?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I imagine his opposite. Mr. Freeze, meet... Ms. Boyle. :black101:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It refers to Ferris Boyle, the other villain of Heart of Ice from BTAS. Fun fact, Mark Hamill voiced him, and that's why he's the Joker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

IIRC, Boyle was the person who initially betrayed freeze and led to his own condition in botht he comics and the animated series.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

IIRC, Boyle was the person who initially betrayed freeze and led to his own condition in botht he comics and the animated series.

For some reason, I always think of Daggett, but that was Clayface. Sometimes, I wish at least one of the villains could have a happy ending :smith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

For some reason, I always think of Daggett, but that was Clayface. Sometimes, I wish at least one of the villains could have a happy ending :smith:

The Riddler kinda did in his first appearance.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I personally love the new batsuit. It looked silly from behind (which, arguably is how we'll see it most of the time) but framed up it looks badass.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I personally love the new batsuit. It looked silly from behind (which, arguably is how we'll see it most of the time) but framed up it looks badass.

Until you see the feet, and he looks like Mega-man and it doesn't really lend it self to back flips and acrobatics.

e: Actually, its quite funny if you view all the games in chronological order, and suits, abilities, and gadgets all appear to be lost or forgotten between games.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 10, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Trickjaw posted:

Until you see the feet, and he looks like Mega-man and it doesn't really lend it self to back flips and acrobatics.

e: Actually, its quite funny if you view all the games in chronological order, and suits, abilities, and gadgets all appear to be lost or forgotten between games.

Yeah, saw the boots in the gameplay footage and they were clompy as hell. Didn't overly bother me, I just imagine they utilise stealth ice crampons so he can sneak on slippery surfaces.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

If Boyle is the guy I think he is, don't see how Wayne would let him be humanitarian of the year, which has to be the tie up. But then, Cobblepot wouldn't get that either. Saw some guy shaking hands in the video, but didn't recognise him. Maybe Quincey Sharp :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It is a little bulky for my taste, I kept thinking how heavy it must be whenever he would glide anywhere in the video.

The video makes the DLC look fairly sizable but I have a feeling that there isn't much more to it than what we've already seen and it is going to be pretty short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Ohhhhh, So that's the suit that you could find by accessing the console.

• Locked thread