Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good news:

quote:

Speaking at an upfront news conference today, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf said that The Americans will be renewed for a third season, saying "I expect we'll have a formal Season 3 order announcement soon".

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...bytheNumbers%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

The Americans definitely seems like a prestige series to FX, so an early renewal isn't surprising. Hopefully ratings stay decent.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 10, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You look like a spy in an old movie :haw:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Nice perm wig, Phil

"Virtual space?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Somebody help me here since I've actually gotten a bit lost: What's new Russian guy's obsession with Nina? He took an interest in her, she rejected him, he found out about her relationship with Stan and both its political and emotional connections, so he's using her as collateral with Stan. Is he doing the polygraph for Mother Russia, just to be a dick, or both/neither?

JohnSherman posted:

The Americans definitely seems like a prestige series to FX, so an early renewal isn't surprising. Hopefully ratings stay decent.

I wish they wouldn't announce new seasons until the previous season ends and/or it's obvious the series is going to continue. I know that may not be how it works in the industry, but the last couple episodes of last season would've been more intense had we not been sure one or both of the main characters were going to survive.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Aww yeah PDP-10 :flashfap:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm loving this super-dated 80's explanation of how the Internet works.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I'm geeking out so hard right now about ARPAnet and this guy trying to explain networking/ packet switching in 1980s terminology, and are they in 1981 or 1982? TCP/IP became the standard in 1982

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

That was some serious '82 technoevangelism right there

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

to defeat a lie detector just pucker up that butthole

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

PUCKER UP BUTTERCUP

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
At first I thought this girl was too naive to last, now I have to wonder if there's a point when she realizes how much of a pawn she is and strikes back, and elizabeth has to kill her.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

INTELLIVISION ACTION :frogsiren:

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
I was told to clip a big toenail too short so it hurts and keep pressure on it, then when they ask the loaded question drop the pressure. But that was in the '80s.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Recursive posted:

I was told to clip a big toenail too short so it hurts and keep pressure on it, then when they ask the loaded question drop the pressure. But that was in the '80s.

Why did you need to lie on a polygraph? :psyduck:

e: Ball-skewering deadbeat wig is getting some more screen time. :neckbeard:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 10, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Philip stuffed what remains of that man into the janitorial cart didn't he?

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Shouldn't have come back for his wallet

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

"I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS OH GOD HOW DID I GET HERE" - Philip

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DAT rear end :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wait, Nina's banging Oleg now? Dang.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

howe_sam posted:

Wait, Nina's banging Oleg now? Dang.

Gotta hedge your bets, man.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Nina is a cockroach, an incredibly sexy cockroach that will survive everything that happens over the course of this show. Calling it now

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DarklyDreaming posted:

Nina is a cockroach
Yeah she is :heysexy: oh not a euphemism

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

JohnSherman posted:

Why did you need to lie on a polygraph? :psyduck:

He was a friend of my dad who was a photographer during the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I met him a couple of months later, and that bit stuck with me.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
The Americans S2: Squeeze your anus

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
I hope Charles Duluth is in more episodes. Christopher Hitchens, Soviet spy, always makes me giggle.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whose house was the kid going into? the Beemans?

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Show continues to be remarkably consistent and somewhat underwatched. I've really enjoyed how much they've managed to keep the same cast of characters developmentally interesting, while keeping the cast as generally tight as it's always been. I've also, remarkably, enjoyed the stuff going on with Paige and Henry this season too, so hopefully that keeps up and arrives somewhere.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's picked up for a third season. Hopefully the interim between seasons, if this one continues to maintain its fairly consistent high critical acclaim, draws more of an audience, because I think this season's been ace so far -- an improvement on the already excellent first season. I just hope it keeps up the juggle it has going and doesn't drop the balls.

Also:

quote:

Philip : The painters want to know if you prefer eggshell or ivory for the walls.
Elizabeth: What's the difference?
Philip: The color?

For some reason that drew a big laugh out of me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zVxTeflon posted:

No, another family in the neighborhood who set out on a car trip, who have Intellivision.

That being said, I'm wondering if the family's going to get a computer now (for Philip and Elizabeth to brush up on their use), just to have a precious scene where Henry gets all emo that he didn't get a game console.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 10, 2014

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

The neighbours he was spying on earlier in the episode. They were leaving on a trip.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Love this show a lot but this episode didn't do it for me. Found the internet explanation to be boring tbh.

I really liked the part where he goes "I'll have what he's having" in the bar though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Good news indeed. It seems FX want something to continue on once Justified finishes up, which is great.

This was a fun episode, quite a few threads being followed in this one, I'm wondering how the Russians will connect to the ARPANET, install a sneaky line to a different office inside the university or splice a wire somewhere down the line.

Edit: VVV I'm hoping it is just a one off mini-series, it was made as that, keep it as that.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 10, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drunkill posted:

Good news indeed. It seems FX want something to continue on once Justified finishes up, which is great.

I think "Fargo" is the basket they're planning on putting the "Justified" eggs into.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, I'm wondering if the family's going to get a computer now (for Philip and Elizabeth to brush up on their use), just to have a precious scene where Henry gets all emo that he didn't get a game console.

THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Me, 1981. :mad:

They have a computer or terminal in their travel agency. The prop is a Commodore PET. Maybe it's just a terminal for some travel agent network or some such.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The look on Phil when he stared into the soul of the student who came for his wallet was some of the most haunting poo poo I've seen on TV.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
How is Squeeze Your Anus not the thread title yet

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This episode made me really like Oleg.

And I've always liked the kids, but I find it quite hilarious that Henry has an entire subplot this season that is literally just 'he really wants a console'. I'm guessing it'll tie into the technology plot threads somehow though. Or maybe they're laying the groundwork for a Wargames-style plot in season 4.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Junkenstein posted:

Or maybe they're laying the groundwork for a Wargames-style plot in season 4.

GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FAULKEN

"SQUEEZE YOUR ANUS". A STRANGE GAME. THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY.

HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Gonz posted:

GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FAULKEN

"SQUEEZE YOUR ANUS". A STRANGE GAME. THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY.

HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

code:
how about a nice game of Watch a Guy Take a Dump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Finally saw the episode and it was really weird. Why the needlessly long, tortuous and generally bad explanation of the early internet? And lots of other weird things like the conversation about paint, Henry's rear window subplot and videogames obsession, Philipp singing some dadrock song to him, the "squeeze your anus" moment, the new handler dressed up like a spy in an old movie and Philip pointing it out.. it all just made the show way sillier, a very different tone from the usual

• Locked thread