Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
EDIT: Oops, accidentally double posted instead of editing my previous post.

MadBimber posted:

Part of the trouble with OGSE's difficulty is that it messes with stashes. If you turn on random stashes, you can find an exo-suit and tunder in the cordon. Even with normal stashes, starting around Yantar you can find artifacts that give you basically 100% bullet protection with only a couple of them. OGSE tries to balance this by throwing out obscenely powerful mutants, but they all fall to miniguns and easy to feed rockets. Stalker has always had a hard time with balancing late game and early game.

Aha. Sounds like the solution is to play with random stashes turned off, and play with my modified mutant health values, where dogs, wild boars etc are only slightly tougher than they were in the original game. I've also reduced the health of some other the rarer, later mutants back down to more normal levels, but if I find that I'm getting getting super weapons and armour then I might put them back to their original OGSE values.

Horns posted:

It's the game. Stuttering in STALKER - especially CoP due to the larger, open-ended nature of the maps - is something you need to learn to live with. A stutter or hitch signifies you're coming in range of AI coming online, and is only compounded when you start getting into mods that heavily alter NPC behavior.

Definitely use this optimized .dll file if you aren't already. Stutter will always be there to some degree, but it helps a lot: https://mega.co.nz/#!BQQAiDYD!RCrx8MXF3xCCsFilC92m1fk3FercXCHhJx2SHmPwVes

"The file you are trying to download is no longer available."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

your evil twin posted:

Here you go (put both in bin folder): http://www.sendspace.com/file/c2bxjh

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

your evil twin posted:

Weird, it was working when I posted. Checked an hour ago and it was down, now it's back up again. Mega just being Mega, I guess.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a readme for MISERY? Haven't played Stalker in years and am trying to do a MISERY run-through, and I have no idea what some of this stuff is, either COP or MISERY I can't remember. Like I have a chicken leg icon on the right side, which I assume is indicating I'm hungry? I think that's a fairly accurate assumption, but the bigger problem is I keep losing health and I have no idea why? Like I bandaged myself up after getting shot and I can't see my health drop visibly while awake, but if I sleep or wait for a mission I lose large chunks of HP with no other indication of whats going on. What?

Apparently it's a feature http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery/forum/thread/loosing-health :what:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 6, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just a shot in the dark, you don't think you're irradiated right? Usually there'd be an icon for that, and even minor radiation poisoning can slowly gnaw at your health. I'm not sure if the new edition of Misery replaces the icon with a more transparent screen effect or anything though.

e: haha what the christ? That's the silliest thing ever.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
DDraig if you're looking for more music for your mod I made a playlist of a bunch of Balkan War music videos a while back,it's here if you want it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Avocados posted:

Just a shot in the dark, you don't think you're irradiated right? Usually there'd be an icon for that, and even minor radiation poisoning can slowly gnaw at your health. I'm not sure if the new edition of Misery replaces the icon with a more transparent screen effect or anything though.

e: haha what the christ? That's the silliest thing ever.

It just goes to show how hosed they made the mod when a setting of 0 doesn't mean 0 because of other changes they've made.

Alundaio's debug tools contains a God mode function. In Misery, you can still be killed by bullets if you have that on because the damages are set so drat high.]

e: I finally decided to give Clear Sky a proper go... out of the three, it's probably my diamond in the rough. The faction war thing is interesting, but badly broken without some sort of mod. I'm using OGSM which I'm trying to translate into readable English as the GSC forum translation is literally a machine translation with no formatting or god knows what else.

Just got past the Dark Valley and have been robbed.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 6, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

nexus6 posted:

I'm playing SGM 2.1, when do I get an objective to go to one of the new (old) areas (dark valley, military warehouses)? I've finished the main storyline and I'm in freeplay now, not much to do besides kill hundreds of zombies.

IIRC one of the guys in the Scientists' bunker will give you the Red Forest quest. RF has to be done before any of the other add-on areas or they'll all become bugged. It can also bug so that the quest is never offered, have fun with that.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So in Autumn Aurora 2 I found a stash with 1200 7.62x51 AP bullets. With the FAL you get from defending the rookie base from Mercs, I am now oneshotting everything from a chest shot. :stare:

It's ridiculous how much more effective this gun is than the AN94, which was taking like 10 AP bullets to the chest to kill soldiers, and like 20 to kill the Mercs.

e: FAL with the scope it comes with and a Saiga filled with slugs up close. Smoking dudes with one shot every time. :clint:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 7, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's a bit of a coincidence. I just got a Saiga in OGSM CS aswell, and it also smokes dudes. Got to the red forest. Took down the ambush, and then took down the other ambush. Managed to grab a prototype exo from one of the stiffs. Then went with the group of loners to go to the anomaly place... there was a pseudogiant and several rusty zombies (rhey explode when you kill them)

Took all them down... now I have to get to the space bubble and there's two loving electro-chimeras guarding it. No medkits, no bandages.. and I've got one grenade. Might try to lure the chimeras one at a time back to the group of loners to help me take them down. I've got a few SEVA suits I can sell for the mad money, too. I had a vintorez but I burned through all the ammo for that killing the Zombies in yantar while protecting Lefty and his crew.

I think Cold's happy to see me

Oh for gently caress's sake... got Freedom to help me take down the military at the warehouses.

Transmitted the message... now there's a loving Burer waiting for me somewhere :smith:

I love the Vintorez.

e: In one of those happy moments you can only get in stalker... found the Burer. Couldn't take him out with my shotgun. Decided to check out a nearby stash... what's in it? A loving RPG.

Walked across the bridge, having avoided the burer... saw him on the far side. Aimed my rocket at him, fired and blew him the gently caress up. Block that, rear end in a top hat. The chimera is still wandering around, though, so gently caress that.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 7, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fSLbKSHgDo

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So this is what Dr. Kleiner was doing before Half Life 2. :haw:

e: I found another 1000 AP bullets for my FAL. I don't think i need to find another weapon for the entire game.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 7, 2014

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Vorenus posted:

IIRC one of the guys in the Scientists' bunker will give you the Red Forest quest. RF has to be done before any of the other add-on areas or they'll all become bugged. It can also bug so that the quest is never offered, have fun with that.

Godammit, I think mine's bugged.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Here's an article about Lost Alpha, with a little bit more information about the state of the game and its future. One of the devs mentioned elsewhere that its still their intention to release all content they've promised, but what comes out on April 26th will have some disabled (for the time being) content.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Welp

Some dude decided to turn SoC into a racing game

Sort of

http://ap-pro.ru/forum/79-10263-1

https://disk.yandex.ru/public/?hash=AK7lV9z4V/ibUFjOuYE9RSZw8gUO85/SPGBPCuHfFTE%3D

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Of all the engines they could have used, it was... XRay?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You'd be amazed some of the poo poo you can do with it. The dude did say he did it while he was bored and ill, though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've always wanted to play these games, I've tried SoC and CoP but I always get frustrated by how slow and uneventful the start is, I know Clear Sky isn't considered as good as the other STALKER games but does it do anything about atrocious early-game pacing? I put several hours in to each game and never progressed beyond picking up a few spare bullets here and there and shooting at dogs, underequipped bandits, and maybe a Snork or two if I'm lucky. I want to just start at the point where I'm finding more than one type of gun and exploring actually-dangerous areas and fighting challenging or fun enemies.

Bonus points if I can ignore the dialog and character interaction and just crawl around collecting loot and fighting for my life. Is there a mod for one of the three games that turns it in to more of a free-form exploration and survival game and strips out all of the story elements?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 10, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's just my two cents, but I find Clear Sky to be the most eventful of the three games. A lot of work has been done on it. I'm currently playing through the "Old Story" mod which is an attempt to be the RMA of Clear Sky. Like SoC, a lot of content was planned for Clear Sky, which was originally titled "Anarchy Cell" or something similar. But a lot of it was cut. So now some modders have gone in and tried to recreate the old Clear Sky, so you get changes like the 'Renegades' being in the Red Forest, bandits being in the swamps and Clear Sky taking over the swamps from various mutants etc.

There's a few cool new events like a crazed sniper in the church who is... odd, and the Burnt Farmstead in the swamps is controlled by Poltergeists which only appear at night etc.

Plus the faction wars are generally really, really fun.

If you just want to fight with very little story elements, then Faction Commander for Clear Sky might be the best bet

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Faction_Commander;99535
http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Faction_Commander;100398

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'll check out Faction Commander, it sounds pretty cool. I love the gunplay and the world exploration and the tense atmosphere of these games, I just can't get over the early-game (this is a problem I have with several games :() Thanks!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One nice feature about Faction Commander is that you can completely switch off the story and just go around killing stalkers, capturing territory, and fighting in anomaly fields or with mutants rampaging around.

It sort of turns Clear Sky into a giant game of Battlefield. It's pretty drat amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkfR9Lx96xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYfrenzKksM

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
Is this your homework Larry?

Ddraig posted:

You'd be amazed some of the poo poo you can do with it. The dude did say he did it while he was bored and ill, though.

The x-ray engine is ridiculously versatile. Some of the poo poo Russian modders do with it amazes the hell out of me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, they really did a huge favour by having some elements they did, even if it can be a pain in the rear end to work with at times. Plus before they went under they pretty much released all of the development assets from SoC for free on a fairly popular russian tracker as a sort of failsafe. There's vast quantities of old content that modders can work with out there if they know where to look.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I found an AWP and a merc exoskeleton in stashes 5 minutes apart :csgo:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just played OGSE again because I was in the mood and it was already installed

The only really awful design decisions are the laser accurate infinite range autoturrets and the permanent chimeras. I ended up keeping the RPG 6-shooter thing this time around just because in the endgame you can't cross the street without 2 chimeras attacking you. I managed to catch the edge of an emission on my way out of red forest and get zombiefied accidentally so I just walked past all of the monolith in pripyat without firing a shot and joined c-consciousness :effort:

might take faction commander for a spin next

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Ddraig posted:

If you just want to fight with very little story elements, then Faction Commander for Clear Sky might be the best bet

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Faction_Commander;99535
http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Faction_Commander;100398

Could a kind goon please mirror this on another file host, say Mediafire or Mega? I'm having trouble downloading from Filefront. Thanks!

EDIT: Does Faction Commander add new guns into the game?

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Damegane posted:

Could a kind goon please mirror this on another file host, say Mediafire or Mega? I'm having trouble downloading from Filefront. Thanks!

I don't know if you need both, so I just stuck both of them into an archive and uploaded that:

https://www.mediafire.com/?vs0rpva11dav1p3

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I don't know if you need both, so I just stuck both of them into an archive and uploaded that:

https://www.mediafire.com/?vs0rpva11dav1p3

Yeah I needed both. Thank you very much, kind goon sir.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Is CS Complete still the best Clear Sky mod out there? I'm looking for something to use a base for a weapon mod.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
To all you OGSE completionists out there, could I get a hint on where to find the docs that Fox needs to take to Sidorovich?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Monolith. posted:

To all you OGSE completionists out there, could I get a hint on where to find the docs that Fox needs to take to Sidorovich?

They're out behind the fence by the shitter. They're not really hidden at all, so as long as you're looking on the outside of the fence you should find it. Enjoy your new Saiga

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Anyone get this mod to work? I managed to get through the Russian installer somehow but it still didn't work.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/shoker-weapon-mod/downloads/shoker-weapn-mod-v21-11-april-2014

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Monolith. posted:

Anyone get this mod to work? I managed to get through the Russian installer somehow but it still didn't work.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/shoker-weapon-mod/downloads/shoker-weapn-mod-v21-11-april-2014

I had this problem but then I decided to uninstall and then reinstall CoP and it worked. Now to just figure out how to disable the obnoxious giant hitmarkers that distract me when I'm shooting someone. :argh:

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
In SoC, why can't I run it in anything other than a 4:3 resolution?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For those wanting to play Clear Sky, I've made this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Faction%20Commander%20OGSM.7z

A combination of Faction Commander and OGSM Clear Sky

Has a few extra elements from SGM etc.

The included XrGame.dll contains the X-Ray extensions which includes things like first person death, body collision and such. Optional, but recommended.

Also, be sure to check out fc_options.ltx in the configs folder - it has many options you can tweak!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Whoa, I guess reinstalling did fix Shoker. Holy crap does this mod run like a dream and look amazing.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Time to read Zinn posted:

In SoC, why can't I run it in anything other than a 4:3 resolution?

That's bizarre, you should be able to select the resolution on the video menu, and it should include all the widescreen resolutions. (Be sure that you are looking at the basic options rather than the advanced options.)

Ddraig posted:

For those wanting to play Clear Sky, I've made this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Faction%20Commander%20OGSM.7z

A combination of Faction Commander and OGSM Clear Sky

Has a few extra elements from SGM etc.

The included XrGame.dll contains the X-Ray extensions which includes things like first person death, body collision and such. Optional, but recommended.

Also, be sure to check out fc_options.ltx in the configs folder - it has many options you can tweak!

It is fantastic timing that I get back into STALKER again and people are releasing all kinds of great stuff. Am I right in thinking that OGSE for SOC was based on OGSM which was a CS mod?

Does anyone have any idea when the next version of OGSE is due? I know they've been working on it for ages, but I gathered that they were pretty close to a new version.

I do let's plays over on the LP subforum. Previously someone did let's plays of the STALKER franchise, but they played through SOC completely vanilla, they played CS using the Complete mod in order to try and fix bugs but ended up with it being the most hilariously buggy experience imaginable, such as levels where no enemies or friends appeared and stuff. (In fact that bugs meant they couldn't even finish the game and had to post someone else's video of the final level and ending.) I'm getting awful tempted to do let's plays of the STALKER franchise, but using a bunch of mods like OGSE and OGSM and so-on. Be a few months till my current LPs are finished though, hopefully the new version of OGSE will be out by then.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSM was originally a clear sky mod, I guess. The SoC version was based on AMK and OGSE was an expansion to it that turned into a fully fledged mod.

I've included a few elements of SGM and OGSE. Mainly the eclipse weather effect, dynamic huds and what have you. I'm going to see if I can add in horror time and the dynamic news since clear sky is probably the only game that justifies all the poo poo talking.

OGSM is probably the most fun, stable clear sky mod I've used.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

your evil twin posted:

That's bizarre, you should be able to select the resolution on the video menu, and it should include all the widescreen resolutions. (Be sure that you are looking at the basic options rather than the advanced options.)

It is fantastic timing that I get back into STALKER again and people are releasing all kinds of great stuff. Am I right in thinking that OGSE for SOC was based on OGSM which was a CS mod?

Does anyone have any idea when the next version of OGSE is due? I know they've been working on it for ages, but I gathered that they were pretty close to a new version.

I do let's plays over on the LP subforum. Previously someone did let's plays of the STALKER franchise, but they played through SOC completely vanilla, they played CS using the Complete mod in order to try and fix bugs but ended up with it being the most hilariously buggy experience imaginable, such as levels where no enemies or friends appeared and stuff. (In fact that bugs meant they couldn't even finish the game and had to post someone else's video of the final level and ending.) I'm getting awful tempted to do let's plays of the STALKER franchise, but using a bunch of mods like OGSE and OGSM and so-on. Be a few months till my current LPs are finished though, hopefully the new version of OGSE will be out by then.

I'm calling the Lost Alpha LP for myself. If anybody wants to fight about it, we'll fight at dawn. You lose if you get hit by a dog and warp into the sky :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Ddraig posted:

OGSM was originally a clear sky mod, I guess. The SoC version was based on AMK and OGSE was an expansion to it that turned into a fully fledged mod.

I've included a few elements of SGM and OGSE. Mainly the eclipse weather effect, dynamic huds and what have you. I'm going to see if I can add in horror time and the dynamic news since clear sky is probably the only game that justifies all the poo poo talking.

OGSM is probably the most fun, stable clear sky mod I've used.

It seems that in general while Clear Sky is a super buggy game all the mods that I've played that were made for it are not. It's very strange.