Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Safety inspections in Illinois? Hahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Hey, doesn't matter that the parking lot is literally empty or that there is a spot a mere 3 feet to the left, I'm so important I'm parking my shitbox cavalier right here cause I need a new exhaust tip NOW

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's up there with two parking jobs I saw within 10 seconds of each other at Costco. Was trying not to get mowed down with the kid, so no photos... but the first was someone parking their Panther-car perpendicular across at least three parking spaces, instead of just pulling in.

The second was someone who parked their Expedition between two occupied handicapped spaces, and was just sitting in it idling. :wtf:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Driving on the NJ Turnpike this past weekend, I witnessed not one, but two people pass someone in the far left lane by driving on the left shoulder. First one was some guy in a pickup who absolutely had to go 95 miles per hour and didn't want to wait for the person in the left lane to get over. The second one, I was in the car that got passed. We were in the far left EZ Pass lane about a football field away from the toll booths. Minivan on our right starts trying to merge into us without looking, my brother hits the horn hard, which angers minivan dude, who slams on his brakes, gets in behind us, then passes us on the left shoulder and cuts us off to get in front of us.

As you can tell, he got really far ahead.

Also spotted, a million people driving while looking at their cell phones. I thought Northern Virginia was bad every time I drove up to visit my parents, but apparently its a free for all above the Mason Dixon line.

The entire experience makes me want to buy my brother a dash cam as he deals with actual crazy driving on his commute everyday.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

El Jebus posted:

I was pulled over with out a front plate in Oregon (and a license with my old address, and I was pulled over just as I parked in my driveway) and the cop wrote me a ticket but said if I fixed them he would suggest it be thrown out on the court date. So naturally I fixed them. Now I keep the front plate in the passenger area and if they ask I just tell them the mounting bracket broke and I haven't bought a new one yet. Not sure how long that is going to work considering the condition of the back plate gets worse and worse and the front plate looks like it has never been on.

Put the pristine plate on the back & keep the rear plate in the car.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Some old fart passed me in a school zone during school hours while kids were at school because I was doing the posted limit for those conditions. He then proceeded to haul rear end through the rest of the zone, roll through a stop sign, and almost run over someone that was out for a walk. I assume he has realized he will be dead soon and is making the most of his remaining time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

You need the one with the stickers on the back though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kastein posted:

Congratulations, your turning radius is 6 feet worse than that of a 25 foot long, 6 wheel drive, half century old military truck. Jesus christ.

As for front plates, you'll get bagged in a hurry for not having one if they don't like the look of you/your ride or it's drunk-o-clock around here, but otherwise, no one will ever care. Basically it's a reason to pull people over if they want to for other not-legally-allowed reasons.

Oh, and you'll fail safety inspection without one, too.

My wife's Focus is 40'. A u-turn is not a viable maneuver. drat you handling package. :argh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I used to think the Celica had a lovely turning radius for such a small car (33ft and some change, IIRC) but apparently it's pretty drat good comparatively.

The 855 does have the turning radius of a bus, it kinda sucks sometimes.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

I need to buy a goddamn dash cam. On the way to work this morning I had a guy who couldn't decide which lane he wanted so he used 1/4 of one and 3/4 of the other, until I honked him to move so I could get past, an Odyssey pull across with no indicator and no blind spot check, while on her phone, and a biker going about 130 in an 80 cut across in front of me at the very last moment when the truck in front of him had to brake. Another cm or two and he would have ended up in my windscreen. Then just when I think it's over, a loving taxi driver tries it on.

Pull up at a four way on a hill and traffic is banked up, so I hang back to let some cross traffic go through, as you do. Everyone sees traffic is moving, so I check left and right and everyone is giving me the go ahead. Taxi decides he needs to get across RIGHT NOW, goes up the left of the car waiting to cross from the left hand side, pulls out in front of me, and stops to check down the hill to see if anyones coming. Never mind looking right...at all...even when I'm right against his door staring at him. He then sees it's clear and goes across. Not once did he bother to look right. Everyone was giving the 'What the gently caress are you doing?' face the entire time.

I loving hate taxi drivers. So many of them drive like utter cunts and pull up wherever they like, because hey, they're dropping people off. Nevermind it's peak traffic. I've even gone toe to toe with one before. He pulled out in front of me, with less than half a car length left, no indicator. I honked loudly and threw my hands up. He took that to mean stop, get out of his car, and walk up to my door. I hit the hazards, and jumped out, something I wouldn't normally do but I was having a lovely day and fuelled by testosterone and adrenaline, this prick was the one that broke the camels back. He starts getting in my face and yelling at me asking me 'What's your loving problem arsehole?!'. This made me lose my collective and the words 'Do you have loving eyes in your head mate, or are they just loving painted on?!' just sort of came out. He continues to yell at me, telling me I was speeding [nope], he had plenty of room [no you didn't] and he had right of way [:psyduck:].

I pulled out my phone and proceeded to take a photo of him, and his cab. As soon as I did that he took off, jumped in and sped off around a corner, cutting off another car coming the other way. I made a complaint that night, and found out from the operator that two other people behind me had already called to complain about the incident, and that he was going to 'get a stern talking to, to put it lightly'. The cops even turned up the next afternoon to take a statement, since apparently it wasn't the first time the cab number had been reported for dangerous driving.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Cyclists who run stop signs and stop lights. gently caress YOU! :argh: I almost hit two of them today. One in a residential area, the other at a cross walk on a rode with a speed limit of loving FIFTY.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bovril Delight posted:

My wife's Focus is 40'. A u-turn is not a viable maneuver. drat you handling package. :argh:

my volvo 940's 32' turning circle means I can park on either side of the street, facing either direction, and never have to make a 3-point turn :smug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had a little Nissan Pulsar like that. 2 lane road with parking on either side, and I U turn from parked into the opposite driving lane without getting close to parked cars on the other side.

Now I have a Suburban :smith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

or just put the plate on the front christ

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

my volvo 940's 32' turning circle means I can park on either side of the street, facing either direction, and never have to make a 3-point turn :smug:

Apparently my car has a 35.4' turning circle.

And reviews praise it for its "tight turning radius". :psyduck:

I do a lot of 3 point turns during delivery, even on our fairly wide residential streets. :sigh:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

other internet forums posted:

Make/model wheelbase turning radius
99 Jeep Cherokee 101" 17.9'
09 Ford Escape 103" 18.3'
00 Chevy Suburba 130" 21.7'
05 Chevy Cavalier 104" 17.8'
10 Ford Edge 110" 18.8'
01 Hummer 130" 26.5'
97 Geo Metro 93" 15.7'
05 GMC Envoy 113" 18.2'
05 Jeep Liberty 104" 17.9'
08 Toyota FJ 106" 20.9'
05 Toyota 4runner 110" 18.7'

I love that I can almost pull a u-turn on a two lane residential street. If I drive down to a stop sign at a cross street, I can almost always u-turn there without a problem. The tight turning radius is probably what I love most about my XJ. My DSM needs a 4 lane highway to u-turn.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dear motorcyclists,

I do not ride a bike. I do, however, appreciate them for what they are. I also understand that they can accelerate and come to a stop much more quickly than the 3,000 lb lump of metal I'm piloting. I also know that riders are offered near zero protection were any collision with another vehicle were to occur. Therefore, when I share the road with someone on a bike, I always take great pains to keep my distance, double and triple check my blind spot if I am changing lanes, and just do the best I can to prevent your brains from being splattered across the road due in part to your choice of vehicle.

With all that in mind - you loving idiots who ride the rear end of every car in front of you, lane split when it's not even remotely legal in this state, swerve from lane to lane like a drunken sailor (do motorcycles even have turn signals? I wouldn't loving know) in rush hour traffic...listen, if I run you over and sever your spinal cord or shatter your legs like a dropped glass, that poo poo's on you. I did my part.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Contrary to popular belief motorcycles don't actually have shorter stopping distance than a car. While a car may weigh ten times more than a motorcycle, it also has a lot more ground contact.

Which only underlines what you're saying. Don't tailgate, regardless of what you're driving.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Congratulations, your turning radius is 6 feet worse than that of a 25 foot long, 6 wheel drive, half century old military truck. Jesus christ.

As for front plates, you'll get bagged in a hurry for not having one if they don't like the look of you/your ride or it's drunk-o-clock around here, but otherwise, no one will ever care. Basically it's a reason to pull people over if they want to for other not-legally-allowed reasons.

Oh, and you'll fail safety inspection without one, too.

I think that's diameter, not radius. Either way it's still pretty loving big, but it is a crew-cab pickup.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In my area, it's more like this:

Dear motorcyclists,

I'm glad you've purchased a vehicle that makes you feel really cool. It's not going to be really cool when you're driving twice the speed limit, wearing no more safety gear than a helmet, and something goes wrong. Nobody is impressed that you're suicidal. Also, if you're going to go twice the speed limit, the shoulder and/or median is not a valid lane to be driving in.

Thanks,
Tha Chodesweller

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

H1KE posted:

Crazy taxi driver...

I was driving through the city late one night (like, 2:00am late), no other traffic on the road, and a taxi in the next lane tried to merge into my lane without looking, nearly hitting me in the process. I honked to let him know he was about to merge into me and he swerved away before speeding up to follow me and screaming at me through his window for a couple of blocks before turning onto another road :iiam:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I once had a taxi cross a double yellow to pass me on a 2/2 lane road when I overtook him on the right because he was going slow. Dudes are crazy, but if I drove in traffic for a living I would probably go crazy too.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Pham Nuwen posted:

or just put the plate on the front christ

I was going to say - what kind of place do you live with no front plates? Do you need room at the front of your car for a horse?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Vindolanda posted:

I was going to say - what kind of place do you live with no front plates? Do you need room at the front of your car for a horse?

No front plates in Florida. No inspections either.

You can pretty much do whatever the gently caress you want with your car down there.

edit: I found a map, there are more than I thought.

Ror fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 10, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cops can still pester you about no front plate in Illinois, I don't know what the laws say about it because I've never been bothered enough to look it up but I've talked with people (always dudes who modify their cars and are targets for grumpy cops already) who got told to install one. They give you two plates when you register your car, too.

I'm an idiot that can't tell Illinois and Indiana apart.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

The Midniter posted:

Dear motorcyclists,

I do not ride a bike. I do, however, appreciate them for what they are. I also understand that they can accelerate and come to a stop much more quickly than the 3,000 lb lump of metal I'm piloting. I also know that riders are offered near zero protection were any collision with another vehicle were to occur. Therefore, when I share the road with someone on a bike, I always take great pains to keep my distance, double and triple check my blind spot if I am changing lanes, and just do the best I can to prevent your brains from being splattered across the road due in part to your choice of vehicle.

With all that in mind - you loving idiots who ride the rear end of every car in front of you, lane split when it's not even remotely legal in this state, swerve from lane to lane like a drunken sailor (do motorcycles even have turn signals? I wouldn't loving know) in rush hour traffic...listen, if I run you over and sever your spinal cord or shatter your legs like a dropped glass, that poo poo's on you. I did my part.
As a motorcyclist I agree with you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Been running without a front plate in San Diego for over a year with 0 problems (even going through DUI checkpoints) and no one gives a poo poo.

However West Hollywood is notorious for their parking enforcement and has given me 2 front plate tickets while parked. (:10bux: each lmao)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

At my dealer I see maybe 5% of the cars with a front plate.

It's the law but they look lovely and you have to put holes in your bumper. The rule in SoCal seems to be, if you don't drive a tooner car or look poor the cops will never bother you AKA there's no real reason for them to think up a reason to pull you over and give you poo poo (I've pretty much confirmed this theory by going on a few ride alongs).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They give out front plate tickets at lax. I found that out dropping off a friend in his car.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Meter maids in Denver will give a ticket for no front plate. Other than that, I've not heard of anyone being hassled except for the one time I was riding in a friend's Evo X, and cop pulled up next to us at a stop light. When it turned green, he flicked on the lights and pulled us over for a missing front plate. Turns out the cop couldn't see it because the front plate was mounted at an offset. That ended up being a nice waste of 20 minutes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Good reminders that police aren't there for your protection/useful in any degree.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

Dudes are crazy, but if I drove in traffic for a living I would probably go crazy too.

I don't consider myself terribly crazy, and I've been driving for a living for far longer than I'd like to admit.

If anything, I'm the guy in the middle lane doing the speed limit (maybe 5 over), or just going with traffic, signaling to change lanes, and only screaming out my window when some dickbrain decides his F-350 can occupy the same space as my compact car at the same time.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Don't drive without a front plate in rural Texas or you'll find every bored cop in the county.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
http://youtu.be/tiQxXgyutA0

Sorry, quickfuck edited then posted on mobile, there are two more in the related videos. I don't know the guy, it was my commute home and he wouldn't leave me alone for quite awhile before I remembered to plug the dash cam back in. He would speed away for a mile, slow back down, and gently caress with me again. I ended up calling the police when it was safe, but they don't give a poo poo

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tonight on the way home, the center lane was stopped and the left lane was moving slowly, the dumb jerk in front of me decided to stop and hold up all left lane traffic so she could honk at someone in the middle lane to get her attention and flip her off. I guess she didn't like the way she merged a half mile back or some poo poo. Joke was on her though, the center lane chick never looked over, and given there was now at least 1/8 mile of empty road in the left lane I felt obliged to lay on my horn.

Unquenched road rage is the worst road rage, I had to chuckle a little.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Stuck behind moron that slowed down at a school zone but then went 5mph under the 30mph limit for about 5 miles afterwards, even though the speed limit outside the school zone is 40mph. Get off the road if you aren't going to go with the flow of traffic during rush hour.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Chinatown posted:

Good reminders that police aren't there for your protection/useful in any degree.

On this note, my friend made a really smart comment the other day, "You ever notice how when you see police your immediate first thoughts aren't, 'Hey, a police officer! I feel safe!' it's more like, 'Oh poo poo, okay, what am I doing wrong right now?' Speaks volumes about them serving a purpose. We don't even feel "safe" when we see them, just stupid nervous; which isn't their purpose."

I kinda did one of these after that :aaaaa:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's exactly the reaction the police want, they're trained to dominate because it makes their job safer. Plus the job naturally attracts people with those tendencies.

lovely situation because I know there's Andy Griffith stereotype friendly officers out there just trying to make the world better but you never get to hear about them.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

GramCracker posted:

On this note, my friend made a really smart comment the other day, "You ever notice how when you see police your immediate first thoughts aren't, 'Hey, a police officer! I feel safe!' it's more like, 'Oh poo poo, okay, what am I doing wrong right now?' Speaks volumes about them serving a purpose. We don't even feel "safe" when we see them, just stupid nervous; which isn't their purpose."
It means that there are too many dumb laws on the books.

Tieing that back into the front plate thing, I've been driving in san diego without one for about 5 years, my dad had a car without one for about 10 years. In all of that time, I've never been bothered and my dad was only bothered about it once.

He was driving down a main road with me in the passenger seat, definitely going the speed limit since there were usually cops on that road. A motorcycle cop was approaching from a side street and stopped at the white line while looking both ways like he should have done. Then suddenly when we were about 20 feet away, the cop just blasted out into the main road only to notice us and jam his brakes on. Only the fact that we swerved halfway into the other lane kept him from being run over. He pulled us over and got all pissy about everything he could think of, but the only thing he was able to stick was the front license plate missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 24, 2019