Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PatMarshall posted:

Looks great! My latest effort was really weird looking, I'm having a lot of trouble with shaping high hydration dough, then keeping the shape together when loading my dutch oven and scoring. It just seems to spread out like a pancake when I remove it from the banneton.

The big gaps are from letting the bread rise too much, and if it's spreading out on you, you might not be kneading it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks! I'm new to this, so I'm relying pretty heavily on books, whose times obviously won't correspond to my room temperature, starter, flour, etc. Hopefully the more baking I do, the better feel I'll get for the process. I should have trusted my instincts, it felt underworked and overproofed, but I wanted to follow the instructions in Tartine.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
What was your mixing method?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Stretch and fold in the bowl every half hour for 3.5 hours. Sometimes it works beautifully, sometimes, not. I think next time I'll turn onto my board and work it properly rather than trying to work it in the bowl.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I read somewhere that after roughly combining your ingredients for your dough you should let it sit and hydrate before kneading.

Is this accurate?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

le capitan posted:

I read somewhere that after roughly combining your ingredients for your dough you should let it sit and hydrate before kneading.

Is this accurate?

It can help. It's usually before the addition of yeast and salt, I think, and is called autolyse.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I find autolysis particularly helpful when making a drier dough, or one with heartier flours (rye, buckwheat, etc). It never hurts, though.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Made some white bread from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day. I think the milk was too hot for the yeast; the dough didn't rise overnight so I resuscitated it with a tbsp of instant yeast then put them back into loaf pan to rise for 2 hours. Look and smell okay, though a little bit dense.

Think I'll re-attempt the tangzhong bread here
http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/03/japanese-style-bacon-and-cheese-bread.html

jomiel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 8, 2014

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Like a ten-year-old excitedly showing his parents every single crayon-drawing they made, I'm just going to post my continued bread efforts here.

Seeds on the outside weren't burnt at all, so that was delicious.
I was worried the water-soaked raisins in the bread would mess up hydration levels, but it totally didn't!
Or well, it probably did, but I'm too much of a beginner to tell.

I thought i got a crumb shot too, but turns out i didn't, and now i ate it all. :(

Question though. Right now i let the bread rise for about two hours, and then folded in the raisins.
The original recipe doesn't ask for a second knead though, and i was worried i might mess things up by kneading the raisins in, so i just did a few quick & dirty raisin layers.
Can i mess things up by really kneading it a second time to mix in extra yummy stuff?

*edit* I also bought a bread knife.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You're more likely to screw up hydration in a bread by not soaking the raisins first.
They tend to suck the moisture out of the dough if you don't soak them first.

I always just add the raisins in with the rest of the ingredients at the beginning of mixing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

shelper posted:

Like a ten-year-old excitedly showing his parents every single crayon-drawing they made, I'm just going to post my continued bread efforts here.
Send me a slice so I can stick it on the fridge door :v:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
My wife is tired of the mess I leave in the kitchen to make bread and wants a bread machine.
Yes/no and if yes, what should I know about if ?
My parents had one some time ago and the bread was a dense flavourless dense as gently caress lump of crap...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Spatule posted:

My wife is tired of the mess I leave in the kitchen to make bread and wants a bread machine.
My parents had one some time ago and the bread was a dense flavourless dense as gently caress lump of crap...
I have one with only preset programs and no matter what ingredients you throw in it, it produces bricks with the texture of a fatty sponge.

Just, you know, clean up after yourself.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
I want to make the same bread as the last one I made (coupla posts up) , only now I want to shape them into lots of little buns instead of one big bread.

Do I need to alter the recipe in any way? I can't imagine the ingredients or kneading will change, but right now it does 45 minutes in a 205c oven. Logic dictates that since the heat doesn't need to penetrate as deep, it doesn't need to bake for quite as long? Or quite as warm?

Is there a rule of thumb for something like this?

shelper fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 10, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I received the Tartine Bread book for my bday! I'll have stuff to bake, wish I had more time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spatule posted:

No. A bread machine got me into baking bread by hand because it didn't deliver the quality I wanted and expected from home-made bread. It made basically a slightly better fresh version of a supermarket bread; fast rise, little flavour.

Vokbain
Jul 14, 2003

This is my first time to this thread, but I've picked up a ton of recipes for different things from you guys that I can't wait to try out!

I want to share my recipe now for a simple rear end bread that I make at least once a week.

Damned if I know where it came from, but I've memorized how it by now.

Ingredients:
5 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white all purpose flour
4 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
3 cups warm water
2 tbsp butter

Mix the flours, yeast, salt, and water together. Make sure the water is closer to hot rather than warm.
Mix for about 8 minutes in a stand mixer on slightly below medium until it's kind of sticky. Coat in oil (maybe a tbsp), then let sit for an hour and a half till it rises in a warm place with a towel overtop the bowl.

After that time, punch out all the air (like, hit the dough to smack out all the CO2 from the yeast causing the dough to rise), cut into two loaves, and put into your loaf pans. Melt the butter in the microwave (or use an egg or whatever), brush over both loaves, and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.

The butter gives it a crunchy crust, but if you don't want that, skip that step!

Vokbain fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 12, 2014

Vokbain
Jul 14, 2003

And here's a picture of my (mostly eaten) bread!

Sorry I forgot to attach it earlier!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I keep forgetting to take pictures of the bread I've been making. This was made with my sourdough starter - I meant to make more of loaf that would work for sandwiches, but ended up with a baguette-shaped one :)

dedian fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 12, 2014

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Pretty standard loaf. 3 cups of unbleached white bread flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of instant yeast, 1 tbsp Himalayan pink salt, and a cup and a half of water. Single rise, 40 minutes at 350. I kinda sorted accidentally dropped it on the pizza stone so that's why it's flat on one side. Easy come easy go v:v:v

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks to you guys I've gotten all excited about baking.

My first attempt at a no-knead bread:

Some issues included that it wasn't cooked all the way through, I think my oven's a bit cool so I'll turn the heat up a bit more. It wasn't as fluffy as I'd like either, and I'm not sure if that's due to the undercooking or if I should let it sit on the counter a bit longer before shoving it in the oven.

Also, cornflour =/= cornmeal, but it does work really well as a non-stick surface.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Made some Tangzhong milk bread with raisins and walnuts.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
RECIPE! RECIPE! RECIPE!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Spatule posted:

I had a bread machine. If your kitchen temperature is too cold or too hot, the bread will suck. The timer doesn't care how high the dough rises when it decides to bake. I only had a month window in the spring and fall that it would work right. Then again, I lived in a place without heating or air conditioning.

After trying to use the bread machine for years, I read this thread. I no longer have a bread machine.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Rurutia posted:

RECIPE! RECIPE! RECIPE!

:) http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/03/japanese-style-bacon-and-cheese-bread.html

The dough was super interesting: it was sticky and underdeveloped before I kneaded in the butter. Kneading in the butter was a tad crazy, I used a scraper to kind of pull everything together. But after kneading in the butter the dough turned shinier and softer. After the first rise, though, was where the dough was super resilient, fluffy, and dreamy to work with. I put in my raisins and walnuts, then just divided up the dough and put them into pans for second rise before baking.

We're eating it today so I'll post crumb shots later!

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
KA Crunchy seed braid. Flax, poppy, sesame, and sunflower. I pulverized pecans and mixed them in with seed in the dough as well.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/crunchy-seed-braid-recipe

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Made some pizza halving this recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/the-easiest-pizza-youll-ever-make-recipe

Happy with the results, need to adjust something to get just a touch more spring and slower browning of the cheese. Would also like to season the dough a bit more without a prefab product (which I omitted.) Suggestions?

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Might as well go for the posting trifecta block. My first sourdough:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Wow these all look super good :)

How is the sourdough process of feeding? I want to try it but with my laziness I will probably kill the starter 5 times before I make something that will work.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

It's really easy with an all rye starter. I just add a few spoonfuls of rye and water to the starter after baking each weekend. If I don't bake, I throw away a couple spoonfuls before adding rye and water. I keep it in a mason jar in the fridge (unsealed!) until I want to bake, then take it out a few hours before use to wake it up. Basically, give it a smell every once and a while, if it smells like nail polish remover, time to feed.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Awesome looking sourdough basmati!

My starter is developing pretty well, going to bake another couple loaves for family Easter this weekend. It's exciting to see that this thing is still alive (and is also probably why I have like a pound of starter in the fridge that's been unused).

Starter can be stored for a long time in the fridge, and longer in the freezer - killing it is probably pretty hard unless something infects it. After 4-5 days you'd want to feed it if you needed to use it, but you can easily keep it weeks up to a month or so without feeding, and 6+ months in the freezer (convert to a firm starter for freezing - interesting thread here: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/20438/storing-sourdough-starter-short-amp-long-term). I haven't had need to revive old starter yet though, so who knows :D

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Thanks! It was super delicious. I was pretty taken aback at the first taste and was probably grinning like an idiot. Thedifference is absolutely amazing, and I even consider this a "starter starter." Simply equal whole wheat flour and water to start, and it lived on the counter for two weeks. Added 1/4 cup flour every 2-3 days, and didn't always have to add water. I want to make it bigger and dial up the tang just right, so I'm moving it into a larger ceramic crock when I feed it today.

I'm going to start another with some kind of fruit and compare/contrast to see what I really like.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I kicked off my sourdough starter with rye and buttermilk; it makes for some deliciously tangy bread. I've never heard of using fruit before; do you puree it, or just throw some in?

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Some people feed their starter fruit juice like pineapple or orange I believe. Mine lives on a diet of water and flour and is tangy enough but I find the most robust, tangy flavour comes when I feed it less often. Feeding every 12 hours leads to a "fresher" taste whereas feeding every few days or once a week results in a much more sour loaf.

The only thing is I think your starter needs to be strong to live a long time without being fed. When I first started I would forget my starter on the counter and it would basically die but now I have one that's almost a year old and I can leave it for over a week. Usually what happens is a layer of hooch forms on the top and any residue on the edges of the container turns black and smells disgusting (like B.O and feet and stale laundry) but the starter itself stays pure cream coloured and the flavour is much stronger. It's interesting because you can actually see a "line" around the edge of the container where the bad bacteria can't cross. I don't know if this is because of the hooch barrier or because the good bacteria are so strong now that they just kill everything else.

What I do to get the starter out is I use a wet napkin to wipe away all the nasty gross stuff, then pour off the hooch being careful not to pour out the starter, put half the starter into a new container and throw away half (I put it in a new container so the old one can be washed), then feed it and leave it alone again.

I have no idea how safe this is because the bad bacteria smell just...vile. Utterly vile. But it's also interesting because my attitude about bacteria has changed so much now, it freaks me out far less. When I first started feeding my sourdough I was totally grossed out by it, I hated the smell and frankly felt weird about making bread with it. Now I love the smell of a good stanky sourdough starter and like the bread to be super sour whereas before I really preferred just a subtle tang.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Doctor posted:

Some people feed their starter fruit juice like pineapple or orange I believe. Mine lives on a diet of water and flour and is tangy enough but I find the most robust, tangy flavour comes when I feed it less often. Feeding every 12 hours leads to a "fresher" taste whereas feeding every few days or once a week results in a much more sour loaf.

The only thing is I think your starter needs to be strong to live a long time without being fed. When I first started I would forget my starter on the counter and it would basically die but now I have one that's almost a year old and I can leave it for over a week. Usually what happens is a layer of hooch forms on the top and any residue on the edges of the container turns black and smells disgusting (like B.O and feet and stale laundry) but the starter itself stays pure cream coloured and the flavour is much stronger. It's interesting because you can actually see a "line" around the edge of the container where the bad bacteria can't cross. I don't know if this is because of the hooch barrier or because the good bacteria are so strong now that they just kill everything else.

What I do to get the starter out is I use a wet napkin to wipe away all the nasty gross stuff, then pour off the hooch being careful not to pour out the starter, put half the starter into a new container and throw away half (I put it in a new container so the old one can be washed), then feed it and leave it alone again.

I have no idea how safe this is because the bad bacteria smell just...vile. Utterly vile. But it's also interesting because my attitude about bacteria has changed so much now, it freaks me out far less. When I first started feeding my sourdough I was totally grossed out by it, I hated the smell and frankly felt weird about making bread with it. Now I love the smell of a good stanky sourdough starter and like the bread to be super sour whereas before I really preferred just a subtle tang.

I like a subtle tang which is why I can't be arsed with sourdough. I just got tired of feeding frequently, changing containers, etc, and tossing out so much when one feeds frequently felt inexcusably wasteful. Leaving it be resulted in a weaker starter with too much tang.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Easter sourdough - won't know how they taste until tomorrow I guess. Still need more work on how to slash loaves; at least I've learned to let them proof enough to not explode at the sides anymore.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When you make shapes like the one on the left do you use a mold and/or how do you do it?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Tried again:

Better results this time, thanks again for the advice! I think I'm getting a better feel for when the bread is properly proofed.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

When you make shapes like the one on the left do you use a mold and/or how do you do it?

You certainly could, but these weren't. I meant for both loaves to look like the one on the right. I shaped the one on the right first and that came out OK, the one on the left just got a little long, and I slashed it to fit that shape. I split the primary ferment in two, patted/stretched each piece into about an 8" square or so (for reference this was for two 1.25lb loaves), and then folded the closest corners into the center, and gently rolled away from me. I pulled the loaf back towards me to increase the surface tension, and sealed the loaf on the far side with the edges of my hands down into the counter, while also pulling towards me, almost underneath (if that makes sense). The second loaf (the one on the left) just wasn't as taught as I wanted at first, so after shaping it got a little long. I'm definitely still learning the best way to shape loaves :). These two loaves were just proved on a corn-meal covered baking sheet for about 2.5 hrs, and baked on the same pan. I don't have baskets or whatever, so the loaves do spread out a bit while proving, but oven spring helps there.

When you're doing your initial kneading, practice your shaping - try out different shaping techniques as you knead, may as well use the time kneading to do so, before working with the risen dough. Definitely look up demo videos on loaf shaping on youtube and practice! Make a batch and split it up into 3-4oz pieces, and just shape them in all sorts of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

I like a subtle tang which is why I can't be arsed with sourdough. I just got tired of feeding frequently, changing containers, etc, and tossing out so much when one feeds frequently felt inexcusably wasteful. Leaving it be resulted in a weaker starter with too much tang.

I would never be able to maintain it on the counter forever, I put it in the fridge most of the time where it can be left without any care for a long time, and only really take it out and wake it up when I want to make bread. I'll usually leave it out for a few weeks at a time just to develop the flavour. Also it definitely gets weaker the longer it's left without feeding but you could resolve that by a period of more frequent feeding before making the bread.