Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I don't expect anyone else to have this problem but Ackerman seriously looks like Commander Vimes to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Okay so Levi could only have this Secret Police guy's surname because he taught him how to survive on the mean streets, fine. But even if that were so I'd have to conclude that that guy is the brother or is otherwise related to Mikasa's father. And as someone mentioned before, Mikasa's family being in any way related to the grand conspiracy would make it seem like that home invasion, murder and abduction had an ulterior motive beyond simple sex slave trafficking, even if the goons didn't know it.

On an unrelated note, I simply have to post this panel from the latest chapter.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Er, why?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm not sure who else does this, since I'm fairly certain that a large number of manga-readers ended up watching the anime too, but as someone who's only read the manga, I tend to imagine my own voice cast for the cast. In my mind, somehow, Levi always sounded like Dante Basco-- the guy who played Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I dunno, something about the guy always struck me as sounding kind of gravelly yet higher-pitched.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not sure who else does this, since I'm fairly certain that a large number of manga-readers ended up watching the anime too, but as someone who's only read the manga, I tend to imagine my own voice cast for the cast. In my mind, somehow, Levi always sounded like Dante Basco-- the guy who played Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I dunno, something about the guy always struck me as sounding kind of gravelly yet higher-pitched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMXuqLLljU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I've just been wondering since someone dropped a reference to this around 80 pages ago, but what's the manga/anime where some guy actually ends up being Issac Newton or something?

Since I want to read it if it's not terrible.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Chucat posted:

I've just been wondering since someone dropped a reference to this around 80 pages ago, but what's the manga/anime where some guy actually ends up being Issac Newton or something?

Since I want to read it if it's not terrible.

I think the series you're looking for is Escaflowne. It's well worth watching.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And as someone mentioned before, Mikasa's family being in any way related to the grand conspiracy would make it seem like that home invasion, murder and abduction had an ulterior motive beyond simple sex slave trafficking, even if the goons didn't know it.

I dunno, if I remember correctly one of the guys who kidnapped Mikasa was yelling at his partner about how Mikasa's mom was the one they really wanted.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Uh... thanks?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

I dunno, if I remember correctly one of the guys who kidnapped Mikasa was yelling at his partner about how Mikasa's mom was the one they really wanted.

The conspirators use proxy soldiers to do their dirty work. That could be part of the ploy. Captain Ackerman needed his brother/son/cousin/whatever eliminated for whatever reason, so he hires goons to kill him, and kidnap his family so nobody involved would suspect anything other than human trafficking.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 10, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Thanks for that, buddy.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~
Captain Ackerman looks just like Clint Eastwood.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Darth Windu is complaining in the anime thread about how the show is SO PREDICTABLE. He specifically claims that one of the things he predicted is that Eren can absorb the powers of other Titan Shifters, and that this is backed up by his reading of manga spoilers. Where is he getting this from? I'm behind on the manga, but I've read Eren's entry on the AoT wiki and it doesn't say anything about power absorption. Darth Windu doesn't have PMs, so I can't ask him himself, and I don't want to bring a manga spoiler discussion into the anime thread.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Darth_Windu.txt

Just ignore him.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

no but you see nothing in the spoiler summary says he is wrong therefore he is right because that is how being a condescending know it all works

The way Eren beat Annie in the anime was weird and I understand how you could get that impression, but he is jumping to conclusions and grasping at straws to prove them right.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Darth_Windu.txt

Just ignore him.

Dude hurts my brain. I like how his reply to the big reveal after the credits was "big whoop."

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

One of the highlights of Attack on Titan is the fact it is so unpredictable. Nobody can honestly predict the twist and turns of the story. The foreshadowing is there but without any context. Maybe people can see that Reiner is a titan-shifter but saying that the story is predictable sounds like showboating nonsense.

Though maybe Eren getting captured every arc is predictable at this point. Eren (so far) doesn't have the ability to absorb other titan-shifter powers. His powerset is much more powerful. Domination / Mind Control. The irony of his powerset being the embodiment of the human spirit who's greatest desire is his freedom can take away others freedom and choice.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 10, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Though maybe Eren getting captured every arc is predictable at this point. Eren (so far) doesn't have the ability to absorb other titan-shifter powers. His powerset is much more powerful. Domination / Mind Control.

This reminded me of something from the last chapter that's been bothering me. The plans to capture and talk to the real king seems to kind of ignore the suspicion they have that mind control powers are what wiped out the outside world from the collective memory of humanity. I got to wonder if they have any plans to try to avoid this during their capture/interrogation. Erwin says that if he gets a good enough answer he'll back off, but what if he's order to back off through mind control?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Okay so Levi could only have this Secret Police guy's surname because he taught him how to survive on the mean streets, fine. But even if that were so I'd have to conclude that that guy is the brother or is otherwise related to Mikasa's father. And as someone mentioned before, Mikasa's family being in any way related to the grand conspiracy would make it seem like that home invasion, murder and abduction had an ulterior motive beyond simple sex slave trafficking, even if the goons didn't know it.

Now we know the truth! Clearly, Isayama has a drool fetish.

Red Suit posted:

I've been trying to work Curious George in, but the thread always moves past him before I get to post it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

To be fair, it gave me a chance to notice that Eren could still bite his lip and break free pretty easily.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Is that new OAV out?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

To be fair, it gave me a chance to notice that Eren could still bite his lip and break free pretty easily.

Didn't Eren hide a shitton of little blades all over his person (in shoes, under tongue) just so he can Hulk out if he needs to?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Didn't Eren hide a shitton of little blades all over his person (in shoes, under tongue) just so he can Hulk out if he needs to?

They found them all. Though he can probably still manipulate.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
What he should've done is just swallowed a bunch of razorblades, then he'd be constantly injured while he digested them.

Though him just Preacher-ing his captors to go gently caress themselves would be more satisfying.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

What he should've done is just swallowed a bunch of razorblades, then he'd be constantly injured while he digested them.

Though him just Preacher-ing his captors to go gently caress themselves would be more satisfying.

Despite his regenerative abilities, that would probably still be a bad idea

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I had the same idea when I saw the bits.

Honestly, Eren needs to bide his time. Hulking out now, won't do any good in the long run. Let this anti human squad get them closer to the king. Then hulk out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arkitektbmw posted:

I had the same idea when I saw the bits.

Honestly, Eren needs to bide his time. Hulking out now, won't do any good in the long run. Let this anti human squad get them closer to the king. Then hulk out.

Then crush the king, then...

uh

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Unless the secret police have shifters or soldiers as skilled with 3DMG as Levi, they are hosed if Eren can transform.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
that Spoof on Titan guy has been doing some side comics http://grrrbk.tumblr.com/tagged/hounori

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Or he could bite the metal bar as hard as he can, and smash some teeth. That would classify as "Self-mutilation".

Now that I'm thinking about it, all of Eren's superpowers are ironic. He hates titans, but can turn into one. He desires freedom, but can take away the freedom of others. His titan's apperance is the personification of his rage. If Annie is any indication there are some broad powersets for Titan-Shifters, so I wonder what other powers he could have if we're following the theme of each his powers being ironic in some way to his character.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 10, 2014

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jackard posted:

that Spoof on Titan guy has been doing some side comics http://grrrbk.tumblr.com/tagged/hounori

Honestly I've been enjoying these spoof comics far more than I ever enjoyed Attack on Titan. It feels like the artist has no idea where he's going with the story or it's going to end with some bullshit "and everyone was secretly related and the titans!"

At least these ones are hilarious and don't have people with melting faces.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Honestly I've been enjoying these spoof comics far more than I ever enjoyed Attack on Titan. It feels like the artist has no idea where he's going with the story or it's going to end with some bullshit "and everyone was secretly related and the titans!"

Titans are mutants born of incest, the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The author said he was going for an extremely bleak ending where most everyone, if not all of them die. But he's since changed his mind on that ever since it got so popular.

Honestly I'd rather he stuck to his guns rather than let popularity influence him, which is why I enjoy AOT still but don't really consider it in my best of the best anymore, I don't think.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly, I'm kinda glad he reconsidered. I'd much rather have an actual ending over "everyone died, the end"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think the original ending clashes with the tone of the series. The world is cynical and cruel, but there is still hope. Otherwise none of the story would be taking place right now. Having the ending inspired by "The Mist" where everyone dies for nothing would be a pretty unfortunate statement to it's audience.

That and from what I can tell most japanese entertainment have ambiguous endings as it is.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think the original ending clashes with the tone of the series. The world is cynical and cruel, but there is still hope. Otherwise none of the story would be taking place right now. Having the ending inspired by "The Mist" where everyone dies for nothing would be a pretty unfortunate statement to it's audience.

That and from what I can tell most japanese entertainment have ambiguous endings as it is.

Not really. It'd actually fit more since a lot of the vibe I'm getting is that no matter what you do it'll just repeat itself in Dark Souls style. The walls are rotting but there's hints that people have been there for thousands of years...but no one can remember past 100 years? Sounds like it just keeps repeating, and having everyone die by the end to usher in the next reboot wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The walls are rotting? They've been there for thousands of years? Where did you get that from?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is a beautiful and cruel world. You don't need to kill everyone to deliver the point home, in fact it is even better if your characters keep on living in that same world.

Making up poo poo as you go along is a terrible way to tell a story, yes. But having the foundations in place and reconsidering how you'll resolve the story is better than sticking to your guns no matter what, because it shows flexibility of thinking. Whenever this topic comes up I like to bring up the series finales of Dexter and Breaking Bad. The former was planned seasons in advance while the latter kept changing as the writers asked for the input of other staff members.

In case you did not know, Dexter has been absolute garbage for years and only got worse the closer it got to the end, while Breaking Bad's final episode had 10 million viewers.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

they have that mind control powers are what wiped out the outside world from the collective memory of humanity.

Is this clearly stated? I haven't reread the chapter but I'm remembering it as a more generic "suppressed the memory" which I interpret in a 1984-esque "memory-hole / who controls the past controls the future" way rather than straight mind control.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Is this clearly stated? I haven't reread the chapter but I'm remembering it as a more generic "suppressed the memory" which I interpret in a 1984-esque "memory-hole / who controls the past controls the future" way rather than straight mind control.

Christa's sister/teacher person would wipe her memory after every visit. Erwin's dad also suspected that they did something like that and Erwin said that they most likely did after learning of Eren's new power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Christa's sister/teacher person would wipe her memory after every visit. Erwin's dad also suspected that they did something like that and Erwin said that they most likely did after learning of Eren's new power.

Re-read it, you're right. He doesn't specifically mention mind control but he does state that memory holing the documentation would still leave oral history untouched.