Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The CBS/Turner March Madness relationship is a godsend. By far the best thing going on in sports broadcasting right now.

Well, it will be once they fire Doug Gottlieb into the sun. Other than that, it's nearly flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

The CBS/Turner March Madness relationship is a godsend. By far the best thing going on in sports broadcasting right now.

Well, it will be once they fire Doug Gottlieb into the sun. Other than that, it's nearly flawless.

And bring Gus back. If Raftery can work the tournament as a Fox hire so should Gus. :colbert:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

He's such a miserable turd. He's also one of the biggest "they get a FREE EDUCATION, isn't that ENOUGH?!" apologists. Apparently it wasn't for you, Mr. Credit Card Theft.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Apparently it wasn't for you, Mr. Credit Card Theft.

Hahaha what was this? I must have missed it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Hahaha what was this? I must have missed it.

He got thrown out of Notre Dame for stealing his roommate's credit card.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
ESPN has announced their commentators for the 2014 World Cup.

It will be Ian Darke, Adrian Healey, Derek Rae, Fernando Palomo, Jon Champion and Daniel Mann.

Taylor Twellman will be the co-commentator for USA games with Ian Darke.

Steve McManaman will be the co-commentator for England games with Ian Darke.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/03/espn-play-by-play-commentators-for-2014-fifa-world-cup/

So ESPN has confirmed Ian Darke, Adrian Healey, Derek Rae, Fernando Palomo, Jon Champion, Daniel Mann, Taylor Twellman, Steve McManaman, Michael Ballack, Santiago Solari, Alexis Lalas, Gilberto Silva, Rudd van Nistelrooy, and Bob Ley.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else digging the TNT/TBS/CBS integration for March Madness?

Save for the whole "Jim Nantz is our lead announcer" thing, it feels like they have a good thing going on.

Always felt the Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith studio team made the NBA Playoffs quite fun to watch.

I wish those guys would cover the NBA Finals over ESPN.

The TNT NBA Countdown show is the best thing on TV for sports. You don't even have to watch the NBA to enjoy that show. Bob Costas winning best host over Ernie is a travesty.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Bob Costas winning best host over Ernie is a travesty.
Which segment was submitted to the academy to vote on for Bob's body of work... the commentary about how black people are unnecessarily uppity or the eradicate all guns clip?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He got thrown out of Notre Dame for stealing his roommate's credit card.

That's fantastic. I'd never heard that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Robnoxious posted:

Which segment was submitted to the academy to vote on for Bob's body of work... the commentary about how black people are unnecessarily uppity or the eradicate all guns clip?

The one where he talks about how great Jason Whitlock is, the academy loves them some Jason Whitlock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ozzie Guillen will be working on Baseball Tonight this season....I give him 2 months

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10666814/ozzie-guillen-eric-wedge-dallas-braden-join-baseball-tonight-crew

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:lol: someone gave a microphone to ozzie guillen

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
FOX has decided to not renew Brian Billick's contract.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/brian-billick-out-at-fox.html

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm guessing Jay and Dan's podcast has been axed at this point, considering FS1's dire ratings. Funny thing is, the podcast was probably more popular than anything being broadcast on the network. They never disclosed any details regarding their hiatus, which was announced back in January.

As a Devils fan I can see why people might not like Doc for reasons already stated. Then again he's a TV announcer, so I don't really expect all that much from him in terms of play by play lingo or phrasing, but he could tone down on the DRIIIIIIVE. Still better than Cangialosi sitting next to a Resch who is slowly losing the plot.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Not sure if this will go anywhere, but would anyone like to discuss horse race broadcasting? I've had TVG for a while now and also have memories going back to Jim McKay's "just retire already" years at the Derby (not quite as bad as the last couple Dick Clark's NYE's but still a bit cringeworthy), and the first Breeders Cup when NBC thought it would be a grand idea to bring in the comedian who did the Dorf character to do a skit between races. :wtc:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Moktaro posted:

Not sure if this will go anywhere, but would anyone like to discuss horse race broadcasting? I've had TVG for a while now and also have memories going back to Jim McKay's "just retire already" years at the Derby (not quite as bad as the last couple Dick Clark's NYE's but still a bit cringeworthy), and the first Breeders Cup when NBC thought it would be a grand idea to bring in the comedian who did the Dorf character to do a skit between races. :wtc:

I think with McKay he built up quite a bit of good will, probably why he kept the gig you're referring to. His coverage of the 1972 Olympics was amazingly good considering the time he was in, and how he handled it.

I happen to think what he and Roone Arledge did for sports broadcasting is truly amazing in building an "Empire" over at ABC.

I'm not as familiar with his horse racing background, but as a Sportscaster he is truly up there.

To anyone here, I'd highly HBO's "Jim McKay: My World in My Words" if it ever airs again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone make a new horse racing thread that's just one poster endlessly and incomprehensibly posting to himself. That was secretly a top-10 SAS thread.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

R.D. Mangles posted:

Someone make a new horse racing thread that's just one poster endlessly and incomprehensibly posting to himself. That was secretly a top-10 SAS thread.

That was probably my favorite SA thread of all time, besides "mommy blowjobs" which really isn't likely to ever be topped.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think I goldmined it. I was so mad when someone else posted in it. I should have probated them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think I goldmined it. I was so mad when someone else posted in it. I should have probated them.

You did

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

We were talking about if Gus still does soccer the other day. Well

Awful Announcing ‏@awfulannouncing
Gus Johnson returns to soccer April 1st for Manchester United-Bayern Munich Champions League QF. Will work alongside Eric Wynalda.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bayern is going to shithouse Man U and Gus will call it a "major upset" because Man U is the only soccer team he's heard of before taking this job.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Benne posted:

Bayern is going to shithouse Man U and Gus will call it a "major upset" because Man U is the only soccer team he's heard of before taking this job.

Can we please stop talking about Gus Johnson like he's a literal idiot who doesn't know how broadcasting works, rather than the network-selected commentator they keep running out who's the wrong choice because trial-by-fire is really dumb?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This is going to come out as a big deal in the tv world. Some think he can replace Costas one day

Richard Sandomir ‏@RichSandomir
Josh Elliott leaving GMA for variety of assignments at NBC Sports

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Josh Elliott is twice the man that Bob Costas is.

No, like literally twice the man Josh is really big.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Josh Elliott is twice the man that Bob Costas is.

No, like literally twice the man Josh is really big.
This reminds me of an old Marvin Barnes story:

Bob Costas (who got his start in sports calling Spirits of St. Louis games in the ABA) was late for a game and thought he would be fired. Barnes told him, "That's okay. You can come work for me. I've always wanted to have a tiny white guy as my Chauffeur."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

This is going to come out as a big deal in the tv world. Some think he can replace Costas one day

Richard Sandomir ‏@RichSandomir
Josh Elliott leaving GMA for variety of assignments at NBC Sports

I'm assuming that's precisely why they're signing him. Also, I wonder if this means they're getting in the sports clipshow game finally.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Crossposting this from the NFL N/V thread

Quest For Glory II posted:

It sounds like CBS' replacement for Dan Dierdorf is former Chiefs QB Trent Green, who has some booth experience from a brief stint at FOX. There's no indication that Gumbel is going to stop calling football, so I'm guessing Gumbel/Green is your new #3 team.

Also a reminder that NFL on CBS' studio show fired Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe and replaced them with Tony Gonzalez and Bart Scott.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As someone who watches Chiefs preseason games Trent Green is real bad. Like, confused, concussed, makes no sense bad.

So a slight upgrade probably.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That's a bummer. I've always liked Greg Gumbel but he's been saddled with Dierdorf's useless rear end for so many years people haven't had a real opportunity to appreciate him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did Shannon Sharpe truly get fired or is this a cruel April Fools joke?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Did Shannon Sharpe truly get fired or is this a cruel April Fools joke?

He and Marino are gone. Replaced by Scott and Gonzalez.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

As someone who watches Chiefs preseason games Trent Green is real bad. Like, confused, concussed, makes no sense bad.

So a slight upgrade probably.

This sounds like Bernie Kosar during Browns preseason games.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'd love a full season of his commentary against the Browns, but I don't think his liver could handle it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shannon Sharpe narrating highlights was secretly one of the only redeeming things about the CBS broadcast other than Shannon Sharpe forced to repeatedly say the words "Billy Volek."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nah, he's better than Bernie, or more coherent rather. He's probably fine really, just not exciting at all and gets caught up looking at or trying to explain the wrong thing constantly. Which a lot of color guys do so whatever.

He will start a story or something sometimes and then just stop talking without finishing it, I guess I haven't paid enough attention to notice if he's getting better at that as he's getting used to talking on TV or if he still does it. He was painfully awkward when he first started and he's definitely better than he was.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 2, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah Bernie always sounds slurred, but drat it, he is really one of the best at reading what is happening and how teams should react to defenses.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So Tony Reali is joining Good Morning America as a contributor on top of staying as Around the Horn host. Given the fact he's probably replacing Josh Elliott I think he'll do fine there.

e: Not that it really matters, but also Around the Horn's main studios will also be moving to the same building where GMA's and Olbermann's studios are.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 10, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
CBC has just announced that it will no longer bid for professional sports rights. Looks like Canadian goons are stuck with Rogers, CTV and TSN now.

E: More news.

quote:

@awfulannouncing: Piers Morgan just tweeted he’ll be a part of Fox’s FA Cup semifinal coverage. You’ve been warned.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Benne fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

So Tony Reali is joining Good Morning America as a contributor on top of staying as Around the Horn host. Given the fact he's probably replacing Josh Elliott I think he'll do fine there.

e: Not that it really matters, but also Around the Horn's main studios will also be moving to the same building where GMA's and Olbermann's studios are.

If he's on the Elliott plan, I can't imagine he'll remain the host for more than a couple more years. It'll be interesting to see if they start putting in other guys for practice reps or tryouts.

Reali sounds, by all accounts, like a legitimately good guy and I'm glad he's moving up and getting paid. That said, social media correspondence sounds like an utter load of poo poo. No one's turning on the TV at 7AM to find out what's happening on Twitter.