Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Etrips posted:

Whoa didn't realize that! I will definitely get AIO checked out. How do I go abouts saving our phone number? Do I have to pay the ETF > sign up for AIO > ???

Edit: Also since we both have iPhone 4s', we need to get a microsim?

Word on Howard forums is that gophone (prepaid AT&T) is coming out with new plan offerings soon. Might be worth sticking it out for a month to see if that is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'd be happy if it matched Aio's plans. Would love to be able to cancel service without a reconnect fee.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What are some good phones for olds starting on their first smart phones? Android, Aio prepaid for the service probably, they're probably not going to be to happy spending more than 200 on the phone itself, LTE would be nice of course but whatever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Moto G or a Windows Phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

What are some good phones for olds starting on their first smart phones? Android, Aio prepaid for the service probably, they're probably not going to be to happy spending more than 200 on the phone itself, LTE would be nice of course but whatever.

Moto G or Moto X if you want Android.

iPhone otherwise.

Actually, if they're elderly, just save yourself the trouble if something pops up and go with an iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
iPhone is too much money and I'd like to keep them on Android because I'm much more familiar with that and future tablet / computer options are also much likelier to be affordable.

Moto G looks pretty good. KitKat is available for it now, right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

iPhone is too much money and I'd like to keep them on Android because I'm much more familiar with that and future tablet / computer options are also much likelier to be affordable.

Moto G looks pretty good. KitKat is available for it now, right?

The Moto G is on 4.4.2 already, yes.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'd like to keep them on Android because I'm much more familiar with that

Your kinda missing the point though, I went through the same thought process and got my folks a couple of galaxy s2's for their first when they had come out.

Needless to say I had to help them switch to iPhones later, your familiarity with android has nothing to do with it. Old people always gravitate to iPhones no matter what, they are much easier to use.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Your kinda missing the point though, I went through the same thought process and got my folks a couple of galaxy s2's for their first when they had come out.

Needless to say I had to help them switch to iPhones later, your familiarity with android has nothing to do with it. Old people always gravitate to iPhones no matter what, they are much easier to use.

I'm kind of in agreement here. Pick up a couple iPhones on swappa perhaps? Old people and iPhones are a good match. Just ask my mother.

In other news today: T-Mo announced the $40 "Simple starter" plan with Unlimited Talk/Text, 500mb pretty decent, similar to the $35 plan with AIO but you'll have full speed data on Tmo

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 9, 2014

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Moto G or a Windows Phone.

I can second this. Windows phone has some great value in "this is great for basic functionality". The lumia 520 series is a killer deal for under a hundred bucks.

Alternatively yes, old iPhones will be a good idea too.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm seriously thinking of getting the folks a Windows Phone and just leaving about four giant icons on the screen (phone, contacts, camera, and SMS). The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is knowing how annoyed they will be having to charge it every night instead of once a week.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If they're not on it constantly (and turn off double-tap to wake too), they could probably eke out three days worth like my parents' 520s do. You can also pin individual contacts to the start screen to act as a sort of speed dial if they're into that.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Uthor posted:

I'm seriously thinking of getting the folks a Windows Phone and just leaving about four giant icons on the screen (phone, contacts, camera, and SMS). The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is knowing how annoyed they will be having to charge it every night instead of once a week.

Can always leave battery saver on 100% of the time. Disables background apps, but it does help battery a lot. That, or turn off data and just have them use wifi if they aren't big users of data and want to use it like a normal phone.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I kinda want to break them on the wheel of non-Apple orced together poo poo ware before I move to the other side of the world / country again as well. A decision I will most likely regret~~~

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I kinda want to break them on the wheel of non-Apple orced together poo poo ware before I move to the other side of the world / country again as well. A decision I will most likely regret~~~

The nice thing about an iPhone for old folks is everyone's got one and they all work the same. There are no special snowflake Galaxies and X/Gs and Z1/Z2s and Aces and Huaweis and Blinkfeeders and Touchingwizzers and and and you get my point. Besides they can just pop into the Apple store at their mall if they have a problem and get it sorted.

After convincing my parents to get iPhones they don't call me anymore with "such and such on my phone doesn't work".

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Sheep-Goats posted:

My mom is on an 8.1 windows Nokia phone and had a wonderful adjustment from dumb phone, and this is a woman who carried a brick phone until 2001.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

My mom is on an 8.1 windows Nokia phone and had a wonderful adjustment from dumb phone, and this is a woman who carried a brick phone until 2001.

Do you mean 2011? Because I think we all carried bricks until 2001.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

Could be a Zack Morris brick phone instead of the smaller candy bar phones that were pretty common by 2001

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Stick100 posted:

No the literal brick phone that African warlords used to commit war crimes with. The kind that the Navy used as kinetic weapons until reliable sources of tungsten were found. The kind of phone that no thug anywhere would think to steal because even the homeless guys had phones that fit into pockets. The thing was huge, had an 8" fixed rubber antennae, 15 physical buttons, 10 number memory and could be used as a substitute heat source should you be trapped in a snow storm. She still has it somewhere too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just activated my AIO account and am able to send/receive SMS almost immediately (took less than 2 minutes). I still don't have data though after about 10 minutes. Is it common for SMS/voice and data to activate at different times?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Saint Fu posted:

I just activated my AIO account and am able to send/receive SMS almost immediately (took less than 2 minutes). I still don't have data though after about 10 minutes. Is it common for SMS/voice and data to activate at different times?

I had that problem too. I hopped on a chat with them and they walked me through the settings to get it all fixed in about 5-10 minutes.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

iPhone or Android?

Try restarting your device, making a phone call, make sure wifi is off, etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Saint Fu posted:

It may be an APN thing, their support is very good and will walk you through it and tell you you're awesome and you made their day.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks everyone, it was an APN issue. Took about 60 minutes in the chat because she was slow on all of the responses, but otherwise super helpful.

e: in case anyone with a Nexus 4 who brings their own device has the same problem, here are the settings:

1. Tap Settings > Mobile Networks (or Mobile Data) > Access Point Names > New APN (may have to tap Menu button to see this option).
2. Enter the following APN info:
Name: Internet
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
Note: on the above APN type be sure to enter it exactly as it is listed...don't include any spaces!
3. Tap Save for the new APN.
4. Go back one screen to the APN list and tap the dot to enable this APN.
5.Reboot the device. Test data and MMS.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2014

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It's important to note that APN settings are going to be the same no matter what model phone you have. It's just that if you're bringing your own phone; you'll need to enter them yourself.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Fu posted:

Thanks everyone, it was an APN issue. Took about 60 minutes in the chat because she was slow on all of the responses, but otherwise super helpful.

e: in case anyone with a Nexus 4 has the same problem, here are the settings:

1. Tap Settings > Mobile Networks (or Mobile Data) > Access Point Names > New APN (may have to tap Menu button to see this option).
2. Enter the following APN info:
Name: Internet
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
Note: on the above APN type be sure to enter it exactly as it is listed...don't include any spaces!
3. Tap Save for the new APN.
4. Go back one screen to the APN list and tap the dot to enable this APN.
5.Reboot the device. Test data and MMS.

Great post you're my hero gay for pay etc

(Seriously though thanks)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I just got my AIO sim card in. Do I need to port my phone number and setup my account with them first before canceling my AT&T account?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Etrips posted:

So I just got my AIO sim card in. Do I need to port my phone number and setup my account with them first before canceling my AT&T account?

Don't cancel your account with ATT until after your number is ported.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I tried to log onto Tmo after the port to AIO was complete and my Tmo account is no longer available. Does this mean my service (and autopay) is cancelled? Guess I could actually pick up the phone and call someone...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

I tried to log onto Tmo after the port to AIO was complete and my Tmo account is no longer available. Does this mean my service (and autopay) is cancelled? Guess I could actually pick up the phone and call someone...

Yes, once the number is removed from the old account, the old account ceases to be as you can't have an account without a number.

EDIT: Speaking of number porting...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2014/04/09/why-you-shouldnt-get-too-attached-to-your-phone-number/

Looks like it MIGHT become impossible. :v: Luckily, if you go to Google Voice, you should be fine.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 10, 2014

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Don't cancel your account with ATT until after your number is ported.

My number is ported once I put in my new sim card, go through the porting process, and can proceed to make calls with it correct? I just want to make sure I don't fubar something.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think so but I'd wait until data and MMS and everything was working just to be sure.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think so but I'd wait until data and MMS and everything was working just to be sure.

Awesome got everything squared away with. So glad I'm done with AT&T and their outrageous prices. So with that being said, does anyone have a recommendation on how to text messages from a computer and has a chat UI window in a browser? Used to use AIM to be able to do this, but apparently it only works on some networks.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Etrips posted:

Awesome got everything squared away with. So glad I'm done with AT&T and their outrageous prices. So with that being said, does anyone have a recommendation on how to text messages from a computer and has a chat UI window in a browser? Used to use AIM to be able to do this, but apparently it only works on some networks.

Might text or airdroid for SMS, or consider using a chat client such as Facebook messenger or WeChat.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

SB35 posted:

Might text or airdroid for SMS, or consider using a chat client such as Facebook messenger or WeChat.

Seconding Mighty Text.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PurpleJesus posted:

Seconding Mighty Text.

Don't have an android. Guess facebook chat it is.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Etrips posted:

Don't have an android. Guess facebook chat it is.

Well if you have a mac the clear choice is iMessage, otherwise yeah, you probably need to move to an IM client.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My elderly father just surprised us and flew in from Greece yesterday. He may be here for a while and I'm thinking I should get him a cheap phone. He doesn't text or use data. Something with big numbers would be nice but I think he could manage a standard keypad. What's a good enough cheap phone/plan for a guy that probably won't use a ton of minutes and MAYBE make an international call? Feel free to respond without the international calling as we may just work around that issue.

Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TraderStav posted:

My elderly father just surprised us and flew in from Greece yesterday. He may be here for a while and I'm thinking I should get him a cheap phone. He doesn't text or use data. Something with big numbers would be nice but I think he could manage a standard keypad. What's a good enough cheap phone/plan for a guy that probably won't use a ton of minutes and MAYBE make an international call? Feel free to respond without the international calling as we may just work around that issue.

Thanks!

The folks use a $30 TMobile prepaid plan (replaced by a $35 unlimited calling, unlimited text, no data plan) with a flip phone.

For international, they use Rebtel. You give them the international number you want to call, they give you a local number to dial, they handle all the VOIP stuff, you pay a few cents per minute. Works with land lines and cell phones, can call whoever, have to do some set up online to use. My mom calls Poland with her cell phone every other day from work.

Good luck finding a dumb phone with a big screen. They don't really exist. You can find ones with big buttons, but are super basic (little more than a land line with a cell antenna). TMobile has a $50 that works and is cheap, nothing to be excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm ready to pick up two AIO Nano sims for my wife and I. When ordering, it asks if I want a new number or to port mine. I do want to transfer mine, but not until later in the month. Can I put new number and then when I activate it transfer or does it have to be done up front? Just want to make sure I get the steps correct and not have my existing service shut off prematurely or burn cash unnecessarily by selecting an irreversible option.

Thanks!

• Locked thread