Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ferguson saves them a shitload of money long term because his initial contract would no doubt be a lot less than the known quantities we've discussed (assuming he gets reasonable ratings). But he's also the biggest gamble out of all the candidates. I can't think of anyone that has less name recognition. His show is pretty much a cult favorite at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The clear answer is Louis C.K., he's already been trained by David Lynch for the job and everything!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Has NPH actually expressed interest in a late night gig? If I remember correctly, he wasn't too jazzed about the workload for HIMYM, so I can't see him being interested in doing a show 5 days a week for most of the year.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

JohnSherman posted:

Has NPH actually expressed interest in a late night gig? If I remember correctly, he wasn't too jazzed about the workload for HIMYM, so I can't see him being interested in doing a show 5 days a week for most of the year.

He probably wouldn't see his kids too much either. I'd be interested in seeing Craig try out for this.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
So apparently Chelsea Handler is really wanting the show now....

http://www.thewrap.com/cbs-david-letterman-chelsea-handler-late-show

quote:

CBS contacted Handler to discuss the potential of hosting a syndicated show in the wake of her announcing this week that she's leaving E! when her contract expires at the end of the year. But Handler has told CBS that she isn't interested in that option. As a result, CBS then expressed interest in considering Handler for Craig Ferguson's 12:30 a.m. slot.

She will be meeting with CBS Corp.'s chairman and CEO Les Moonves in the next few weeks to continue the discussions of joining CBS's late-night lineup, the individual said. But, Letterman's retirement announcement on Thursday has changed the landscape for her. Handler now has her eye on Letterman's “Late Show” spot instead.

This poorly worded article makes it sound like CBS was considering Handler for Craig's job even before Dave's retirement announcement.....unless they were actually referring to what would happen if Craig did not renew after this year.

Chand0X fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 6, 2014

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mister Kingdom posted:

I loved it when Henry Mancini wrote The Viewer Mail Theme. Dave wasn't too thrilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogst_L1PI1I

I don't know why there's a Donahaue clip on this video.
Holy crap, that's Lenny Pickett from SNL! I didn't know he ever sat in with the band.

Speaking of big bands, I have a tape of his Big Band Show from 2001. I should upload that whole thing sometime soon, it was awesome. They had a total of 50 players including Paul and the band, crammed in every corner of the stage, complete with a couple of harp players stuffed behind Dave at the desk. The played all night, it was a good time.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 9, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Did anybody see Craig last night? Did he mention anything about Dave?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Chand0X posted:

This poorly worded article makes it sound like CBS was considering Handler for Craig's job even before Dave's retirement announcement.....unless they were actually referring to what would happen if Craig did not renew after this year.

Wow, if Handler's people think leaking that poo poo is going to get her that job she's going to end up hosting Sunday nights at Yuk Yuk's.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus, I can't stop laughing at Kumail Nanjiani's segment on Conan.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Vader posted:

Did anybody see Craig last night? Did he mention anything about Dave?

I only watched up to the first guest, but he kind of beat around the bush in a joking manner. He may not be allowed to say anything about it given his contract.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CBS just announced Colbert's getting 11:35.

Welcome to network tv, bitch

e: A 5-year deal it is.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The obvious question is whether he'll play it straight or keep up the cable news schtick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vertical Lime posted:

CBS just announced Colbert's getting 11:35.

Welcome to network tv, bitch

e: A 5-year deal it is.
Well that's gonna be interesting! The press release doesn't say anything about him continuing to play his character, though.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
And Comedy Central's programmers has collectively poo poo their pants.

Would it be safe to presume that Colbert's Late Show will still be produced by Worldwide Pants?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, he won't stay in character, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting, and would turn off a lot of the prime late show audience (old people).

I am curious if he'll continue to pronounce his name with the silent 't'. I've said it Col-bear for so long it would be wear to talk about Stephen Col-Bert.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm hoping that the story re: Craig's payout if he's passed over is true because I support rewarding Craig.

Colbert and Craig, this is going to be awesome.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope Colbert makes a habit of Tolkein throwdowns a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDzFFT1xNHM

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wow, that was fast. I think it's likely that Colbert has been the heir apparent in Letterman's mind for some time. There are so many great candidates, for him to jump on one this fast makes it look like there wasn't much debate. Now prepare for months of poo poo-flinging (somewhat justifiably) at CBS and/or Letterman for hiring another white guy for late night.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The fact that Craig didn't get it annoys me greatly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilMoFo posted:

The fact that Craig didn't get it annoys me greatly.

Didn't Craig say he did not want it?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Craig say he did not want it?

Yeah, he's always said he'd step down when Dave left, but I'm hoping he'll stick around in his little corner of late night, dancing with fake horses and trading barbs with his robot sidekick in perpetuity.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I wonder if Worldwide Pants will produce, CBS, or will Colbert make his own company?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/david-letterman-retirement-net-craig-ferguson-8m-12m-article-1.1746070

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I wonder if Worldwide Pants will produce, CBS, or will Colbert make his own company?

No way Colbert gets any ownership. CBS had no leverage when dealing with Letterman. They have all the leverage now. After his first contract is up? If he's really successful, maybe, but not now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So #CancelColbert worked, huh. :D

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Megazver posted:

So #CancelColbert worked, huh. :D

I'm wondering how the character will play this. Maybe they'll kill him off on the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm wondering how the character will play this. Maybe they'll kill him off on the show.
Pecked to death by eagles.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The best idea I heard was "Stephen has always been trapped in a snowglobe owned by Glenn Beck."

Glenn Beck would be totally game for this, too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'm hoping we get 30 minutes of a toned down Colbert character (even bringing over a lot of his segments like the Word and Tip of the Hat/Wag of the Finger), 1 "interesting" interview, 1 entertainment interview, and a musical guest.

But more likely he just winds up a normal host :(

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

quote:

Mauled by a bear. :colbert:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

I am curious if he'll continue to pronounce his name with the silent 't'. I've said it Col-bear for so long it would be wear to talk about Stephen Col-Bert.

That's not part of his schtick, that's just how you pronounce it.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I believe prior to the character, he pronounced it as "col-bert"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Will they keep the name "The Late Show"?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Juttman posted:

Yeah, his sister goes by Col-bert Busch. I'm betting that he keeps the pronunciation the same, as that's what he goes by publicly now too.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is what I bet the name is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Juttman posted:

That's not the correct pronunciation though, is it? There was a street in the neighborhood I grew up in as a kid called Colbert Street and nobody in the area called it Col-bert. It was always Col-bear. I'd been hearing it pronounced like that for years before Stephen's show even premiered.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

It's always been Col-bear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFlSNzanPXM

The joke was Report being pronounced with a silent "t" too.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's not the correct pronunciation though, is it? There was a street in the neighborhood I grew up in as a kid called Colbert Street and nobody in the area called it Col-bert. It was always Col-bear. I'd been hearing it pronounced like that for years before Stephen's show even premiered.

Surname pronunciation's kind of a subjective thing, especially in this country. I'm sure you could find plenty of Colberts who pronounce it both ways.

That said, it would be silly and confusing to switch it now. And I think I remember him saying he goes by the silent 't' pronunciation in one of his "out of character" media interviews.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 10, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kmzh posted:

It's always been Col-bear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFlSNzanPXM

The joke was Report being pronounced with a silent "t" too.

As I said, his sister goes by Col-bert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDnZs5Sem4

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The character is gone

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/stephen-colbert-i-wont-be-695132

quote:

The comedian says that he will not do his faux conservative character on "The Late Show."

The surprise announcement that Stephen Colbert will take David Letterman’s late night chair sometime in 2015 left open the exact format of the new program and whether he will do his mock conservative character or be himself.

Now Colbert has provided the answer in a statement released through his publicist: "I won't be doing the new show in character, so we'll all get to find out how much of him was me. I'm looking forward to it.... "

More to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Then his sister pronounces it differently. *shrug* Stephen Colbert's last name has been pronounced Col-bear in every appearance I can remember from The Daily Show to even earlier.