Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anals of History posted:

If he's on the Elliott plan, I can't imagine he'll remain the host for more than a couple more years. It'll be interesting to see if they start putting in other guys for practice reps or tryouts.

Reali sounds, by all accounts, like a legitimately good guy and I'm glad he's moving up and getting paid. That said, social media correspondence sounds like an utter load of poo poo. No one's turning on the TV at 7AM to find out what's happening on Twitter.

I wouldn't read into the title much. It seems pretty obvious they're "trying him out" to be Elliott's replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
WHAT. Sharpe is gone? So sad!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

WHAT. Sharpe is gone? So sad!

Did he do something cool I somehow missed that everyone loves him for now? Because that dude is loving horrible on TV. He is literally bad at talking.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

Did he do something cool I somehow missed that everyone loves him for now? Because that dude is loving horrible on TV. He is literally bad at talking.

I nearly lost my mind the one day when I mistakenly watched the CBS pregame show and saw that he made his picks by putting on those dumb gloves with the team logo on the palms and flashing the logo at the camera.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Digger Phelps is retiring, he's kind of a crank but ultimately endearing if you've watched college basketball for a long enough time

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

swizz posted:

Digger Phelps is retiring, he's kind of a crank but ultimately endearing if you've watched college basketball for a long enough time

Please don't take Bill Raftery with you, Digger, because he's the only thing stopping us from the Gottliebpocalypse.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

swizz posted:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-01-10/bill-walton-on-digger-phelps-the-devil-ucla-arizona-game-notre-dame-coach

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you want to hear lovely play by play, turn on ESPN and listen to John Buccigross. Holy gently caress he is awful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Anals of History posted:

If he's on the Elliott plan, I can't imagine he'll remain the host for more than a couple more years. It'll be interesting to see if they start putting in other guys for practice reps or tryouts.

Reali sounds, by all accounts, like a legitimately good guy and I'm glad he's moving up and getting paid. That said, social media correspondence sounds like an utter load of poo poo. No one's turning on the TV at 7AM to find out what's happening on Twitter.
Are the people who watch those kinds of shows even ON social media? I think the median age of those shows are around 55.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

If you want to hear lovely play by play, turn on ESPN and listen to John Buccigross. Holy gently caress he is awful.

So bad you could say what Chad Kroeger is to Nickelback, John Buccigross is to hockey commentary.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Also to hockey twitter. He's the worst.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are the people who watch those kinds of shows even ON social media? I think the median age of those shows are around 55.

I'd say no, or they've already seen the thing somewhere else. Right now, those shows (typically firmly in the housewife/mom demographic) are desperately searching for relevance because all of the formerly go-to features are presented better/easier online. Why wait for a cooking segment when every recipe ever is available online, with YouTube videos to match? So, much like CNN, these morning shows are grasping for relevance by rebranding segments to televise what people have already seen on their tablet or phone. It's sad, in a sense.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

So bad you could say what Chad Kroeger is to Nickelback, John Buccigross is to hockey commentary.

Agreed, the other members of Nickelback are really great mussicians, and that one guy is holding them back.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

erezaka posted:

Agreed, the other members of Nickelback are really great mussicians, and that one guy is holding them back.

No, see, it works because every notable hockey commentator is horrible.

I would say that Don Cherry is clearly the Chad Kroeger, though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

No you misunderstand. I don't watch an Pre-game shows. I hate them all. But the highlight of seeing some random clip that gets uploaded/highlighted by the internet was Sharpe's completely incoherent blabbering that barely passed as English. It was hilarious.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't understand how Sterling Sharpe is so good at taking football and Shannon is so awful. Especially since Shannon is a legendary trash talker.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just remember finding him rather unbearable for the duration he was on because he was kind of a Ravens honk.

As a Browns fan, it was really not worth watching a lot of weeks because of that. It'd always be him and Cowher grab assing the whole time about their rivalry. It didn't help that it felt like the AFC North had a representative for every team with the exception of the Browns. (Boomer with the Bengals, Cowher with the Steelers, and Sharpe with the Ravens).

Great player, Hall of Famer, etc. But I'm kind of glad he's not around.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed CBS went away from the one pre game show that had Deion Sanders, Jerry Glanville, and Mike Ditka. I always felt that crew was quite good, and always felt Nantz served as a better host, than an anchor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

and always felt Nantz served as a better host, than an anchor.

Yeah Nantz always sounds like he's commentating a goddamn funeral when he's doing PBP. He wouldn't be bad as a show host though.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

swizz posted:

I'm not sad to see him retiring, but at least his idiocy was basically corny stuff like always picking against UNC and goofy colored highlighters. He never sunk to the Billy Packer "angry about everything to do with basketball" level that I saw.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
FOX will have Joe Buck and Greg Norman call the 2015 U.S. Open.

Edit: Also, ESPN will have Bob Ley, Mike Tirico, and Lynsey Hipgrave as host for their coverage of the 2014 World Cup.

psyer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 15, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Joe Buck's voice is too fuckin loud and barky to call golf while simultaneously having no enthusiasm for sports, this will be amazing.

THAT'S A LONG DRIVE FROM DUSTIN JOHNSON.

A GAIN OF 300 YARDS.

AND DUSTIN JOHNSON HAS A BIRDIE OPPORTUNITY. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I hope they give that cartoon NFL robot a visor and a 5-iron and show him every 5 minutes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I hope they give that cartoon NFL robot a visor and a 5-iron and show him every 5 minutes

Ok yeah I'd legit love this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Joe Buck's voice is too fuckin loud and barky to call golf while simultaneously having no enthusiasm for sports, this will be amazing.

THAT'S A LONG DRIVE FROM DUSTIN JOHNSON.

A GAIN OF 300 YARDS.

AND DUSTIN JOHNSON HAS A BIRDIE OPPORTUNITY. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.
BUBBA WATSON JUST LEFT A DIVOT ON THE 17TH GREEN. THIS IS A DISGUSTING ACT. I AM SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE THAT.

DJExile posted:

Ok yeah I'd legit love this.
And they use the standard FOX NFL/other sports music for their golf coverage.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crazy Ted posted:

And they use the standard FOX NFL/other sports music for their golf coverage.

Only if they use the slow tempo "injury break" music 100% of the time because it's golf.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Only if they use the slow tempo "injury break" music 100% of the time because it's golf.
No. I want the full-tempo poo poo.

HELLO AMERICA. YOU ARE WATCHING GOLF. GET READY FOR SOME loving GOLF.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Point conceded. You're right. HOOT AND HOLLER IT'S THE US OPEN

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ARE YOU READY TO GOLF

ARE YOU READY TO GOLF

IS IT TIME YET FOR GOLF

YOUR rear end IT IS

GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF MOTHERFUCKER

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the whole gently caress YEAH FOX IN YOUR FACE thing sort of works since the US Open is now pretty traditionally at brutal courses. I'd love to instead see it at the Waste Management Open.

For those that don't follow golf, it's an early-season tournament in Arizona where nobody gives a gently caress, golfers high-five fans walking to their ball, most of the gallery are drunk/insane frat boys, golfers throw souvenirs into the crowd, it's great.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"Let's send it to Goose on 16"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There should be some sort of event at Scottsdale 16 with a timer, target circles, and crowd noise

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Badfinger posted:

Point conceded. You're right. HOOT AND HOLLER IT'S THE US OPEN

Injury music reserved for double bogeys or worse.

And injuries, of course.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Way better than having Joe Buck provide any kind of commentary for anything sports-related.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can someone explain why I can't get the Cbus-Pitt NHL game?

I have NBCSN. I don't live in either market.

What the gently caress?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What are you getting instead?

Are you sure that you aren't on the very edge of one of the markets? I run into that problem with the Blues.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

What are you getting instead?

Are you sure that you aren't on the very edge of one of the markets? I run into that problem with the Blues.

I live in the Akron-Canton region of Northeast Ohio.

I read some place that the game was supposedly on FSNOhio, but all they're showing is a Women's Softball game.

Cleveland-Akron-Canton-Youngstown is stuck in some weird Hockey "No Man's Land" I guess?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah if you get the other playoff games on NBCSN it's probably your local Fox Sports that's screwing things up. I guess in my case at least I get Royals games instead of women's softball, although I have gotten both re-runs of Royals games and then whatever bullshit they regularly schedule after those broadcasts are over instead of switching to the game which is pretty maddening.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's FSN. I live in Toledo and this happens every once in a while.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can someone explain why I can't get the Cbus-Pitt NHL game?

I have NBCSN. I don't live in either market.

What the gently caress?

It's not the same as watching it on TV, but if you have an approved cable provider you can stream the games at https://www.nbcsports.com/liveextra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Yeah it's FSN. I live in Toledo and this happens every once in a while.

It's kind of confusing.

I mean Columbus games should be in the Cleveland, Dayton, Akron, Canton, and Cincy markets. (I'll argue that Toledo is likely more Red Wings country, and the Penguins should be for Youngstown due to proximity).

If I can recall, while at a hotel in the Columbus area, I could receive both Reds, and Tribe games at the same time.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3310263/NHL_TV_Markets.jpg

I mean according to this map, I could be on the border line to get both Penguins AND Jackets games. If that's the case allow me to get them or show me the game on NBCSN at least!

e: Apparently we live in Penguins country according to a coverage thing I entered in at NHL.com, yet we do not receive Root Sports in any capacity.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 20, 2014