Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!

pissboy posted:

Has anyone camped out at Shackleford Banks? I'm looking to go in early May. I plan on putting in our kayaks at the boat launch in Beaufort, NC, paddling over to Shackleford Banks as the tide is going out, hiking around the island for the rest of the day and the next day, and paddling back as the tide is coming in. I see that there are water tours and taxis out to the island, but hopefully they aren't too busy or annoying while school is still in session. I'll have to pack in all my water, but since we're paddling out, it shouldn't be too annoying. It looks like as long as I can find a place to park for a few days, and leave a float plan with the park I should be good to go. Any recommendations for staking my tent (http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent) in sand with windy conditions? I have some snow stakes and it was recommended that I tie my lines off to the middle of them and bury them, but since weight is not really an issue this time, I could bring something larger/heavier.

I might have been better off if I didn't bury my question in a wall of text. :)

I plan on camping on an island which will have 9-25MPH winds. Any recommendations for staking my tent (http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent) in sand with windy conditions? I have some snow stakes and it was recommended that I tie my lines off to the middle of them and bury them, but since weight is not really an issue this time, I could bring something larger/heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

pissboy posted:

I might have been better off if I didn't bury my question in a wall of text. :)

I plan on camping on an island which will have 9-25MPH winds. Any recommendations for staking my tent (http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent) in sand with windy conditions? I have some snow stakes and it was recommended that I tie my lines off to the middle of them and bury them, but since weight is not really an issue this time, I could bring something larger/heavier.

I wouldn't be too concerned since that's a freestanding tent already, just put some weight in the tent (your pack, a rock, etc.) so it doesn't blow away. That said, I carry two MSR Groundhog stakes for my tarp's ridgeline tie-outs, and have yet to find anything they won't stay in. They're a little heavy, but work awesome. Maybe put a rock or fallen branch on top of the stake to keep it from popping out if you're still worried about sandy soil not keeping it in.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend some snowshoes? My one trip has tipped me over the edge and I need to go more often..

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
What kind of terrain? Lots of steeps or rolling trails/flats?

I really like my Atlas 1230s for mixed use:
http://www.rei.com/product/860377/atlas-1230-snowshoes

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I've been backpacking once or twice in my life but that was a while ago and I have no gear at all.

My wife and I want to start hiking and backpacking now. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap bag for a 5'0" 100lbs female? I would be carrying the bulk of the stuff, we just need a pack for her to carry her food etc.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

What kind of terrain? Lots of steeps or rolling trails/flats?

I really like my Atlas 1230s for mixed use:
http://www.rei.com/product/860377/atlas-1230-snowshoes

Mix of steep off the beaten path and rolling trails.

I want snowshoes that will let me climb like a mountain goat and run through the snowy woods like Sasquatch - bonus points for cheap and lightweight.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 8, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

GreyPowerVan posted:

Okay, I've been backpacking once or twice in my life but that was a while ago and I have no gear at all.

My wife and I want to start hiking and backpacking now. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap bag for a 5'0" 100lbs female? I would be carrying the bulk of the stuff, we just need a pack for her to carry her food etc.

By bag I assume you mean backpack (judging from the rest of your post)? Best advice would probably go to a place like REI that has a large selection and have her try stuff on. At 5'0 it could be tough to find one with a short enough torso but having a large selection to work with helps.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Levitate posted:

By bag I assume you mean backpack (judging from the rest of your post)? Best advice would probably go to a place like REI that has a large selection and have her try stuff on. At 5'0 it could be tough to find one with a short enough torso but having a large selection to work with helps.

Yeah backpack, sorry. I don't think we even have any stores within 100mi being in the middle of bumfuck, Alabama. We'll figure something out when we both get out of college for the semester.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

What's the difference between a national park and a national forest? Also, how do they determine whether an area is at wildfire risk? I'm coming from Australia which is over-zealous about bushfires; in my area there's a total fire ban ($10,000 fine, one year in prison) between November and March.

Also, I should mention that I'm not going to be hiking but rather on a motorcycle. A dual sport, so I'll be able to go along rough trails etc. to places where I wouldn't be able to in a car - but is that legal? I'm assuming not, in a national park, but I don't know about a national forest or state forest or whatever. It would be a road-licensed vehicle if that makes a difference.

Yosemite can be very crowded with the tourbuses and folks from SF/LA trying to drive their Prius like a Lamborghini because they are in a hurry - so maybe that's why I don't see that many dual sport riders there for some reason. I did see a few down in Kings Canyon though last year, as it's a much less popular park.

For some reason I see more folks on dual sports with camping gear along Big Sur Highway 1 and then again up in Oregon between Crater Lake and Bend off of hwy 97. There are a zillion bike trails around there so I think it's more popular up there.

I know there are a lot of all terrain trails by Lake Tahoe but they seem to be overwhelmed with flat brim hatted X-games motocross douchelords that leave trash everywhere along with jeep enthusiasts, rather than motorcyle trail campers.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

We arrive in Moab May 1! :dance:

And we are preparing for below freezing temperatures too, even if the ground were to be completely frozen or snowy or hot, we wouldn't care, because we're :canada: and camp in those conditions all the time anyway. We're not bringing any cots., sadly.
Utah spring can be unpredictable, but it will be around 80 this week in Moab, FYI.

edit: that's around 26 degrees for you moon unit users.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 8, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anyone got any Wisconsin camping (not necessarily backpacking) spots they could recommend? Im in Chicago so something within 3 hours or so would be ideal. I'm also looking to go early May when the weather is still cool.

I've got a buddy who I'm trying to convince to go on an actual backpacking trip this summer out west and I think he just needs to get his feet wet before seriously considering it. I figure we could do a car camping weekend with some hiking added in. After hiking out west I'm really bored with things around the Midwest but it lends itself to car camping at the very least.

I prefer secluded spots versus clustered parking lot style campgrounds. After backpacking it's really hard to imagine being 10 feet from another group. I have a spot I like in the UP of Michigan on the sturgeon river but that's a 7 hour drive and too long for a quick weekend.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I recently moved to Chicago so I've been looking as well. Here's what I've come up with:
Knobstone Trail in southern IN
Manistee River Trail loop in western MI
Starved Rock state park near Ottawa, IL (might not be the best for camping but the landscape looks neat)
Then there is Red River Gorge in KY and the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness in the UP, both of which are ~7 hour drives.

I've only ever been to Red River Gorge, but it was fantastic. I'd be interested in any other options as well, preferably something with a little elevation gain.

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Verman posted:

Anyone got any Wisconsin camping (not necessarily backpacking) spots they could recommend? Im in Chicago so something within 3 hours or so would be ideal. I'm also looking to go early May when the weather is still cool.

I've got a buddy who I'm trying to convince to go on an actual backpacking trip this summer out west and I think he just needs to get his feet wet before seriously considering it. I figure we could do a car camping weekend with some hiking added in. After hiking out west I'm really bored with things around the Midwest but it lends itself to car camping at the very least.

I prefer secluded spots versus clustered parking lot style campgrounds. After backpacking it's really hard to imagine being 10 feet from another group. I have a spot I like in the UP of Michigan on the sturgeon river but that's a 7 hour drive and too long for a quick weekend.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

I've been to Kettle Moraine State Forest, it was nice. We spent a night at a backpack shelter that we reserved in advance, we just threw our tent up next to it instead of sleeping in the shelter because it was ~75 degrees out. It's on the Ice Age Trail. There's car camping available too. I'm in Green Bay, the only other places I know of are further north so hopefully someone else knows of a spot or two.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kmn/camping.html for the north unit
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kms/camping.html for the south unit

edit: it looks like it's within 2.5 hours from Chicago.

Ralphus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I grew up in west Michigan so I'm very familiar with manastee national forest as it was only an hour or so from my hometown. I will look into that a little further.

Kettle Morraine might be what we're looking for. I was looking at that prior to asking so based on what I found and some thumbs up in here I might try to make that happen.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Has anyone been out in Kananaskis/Canmore area recently? How are the scrambling routes looking snow wise?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should do the porcupine mountains, you can do a nice 38 mile loop in 4-5 days. 17 miles are right along the lake.

Manistee river trail is nice over night. Go up the mrt and come back on the north country trail.

If you haven't done pictured rocks get after it. You can do point to point and they pick you up and drive you back. So beautiful.

Brown county Indiana is really cool for mountain biking so maybe you could back pack there also.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Verman posted:

Kettle Morraine might be what we're looking for. I was looking at that prior to asking so based on what I found and some thumbs up in here I might try to make that happen.

Kettle Morraine is pretty good, and definitely one of your closer options.
Buckhorn State Park in Necedah Wisconsin is my favorite state park for camping because the "cart-in campsites" are significantly more secluded than the car camping areas in most state parks.
The Porcupines are nice too, but that's getting to be a really long drive.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for all the input. I feel like we might end up in kettle moraine or possibly buckhorn. The UP is out of reach for a quick weekend trip at 7 hours from Chicago.

Unfortunately my friend is a PM for a huge construction company so his time off is fairly limited and we're trying to save his days off for a week-long in Colorado or PNW later this year. He's eager to backpack but was originally put off by the sticker shock of his first trip to REI. Considering I have a ton of extra gear he would essentially only need to purchase a decent sleeping bag. NO EXCUSES DAMMIT!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Verman posted:

Unfortunately my friend is a PM for a huge construction company so his time off is fairly limited and we're trying to save his days off for a week-long in Colorado or PNW later this year!

My wife feels his pain. It is a great and terrible industry. I basically take all my vacation by myself.

Definitely find someone to do pictured rocks with though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone in the Southeast I recommend hiking in Roan Mountain State Park in Tennessee. I went with some friends in 2012. It's not a hard hike at all and is really beautiful.

The view.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Ropes4u posted:

Mix of steep off the beaten path and rolling trails.

I want snowshoes that will let me climb like a mountain goat and run through the snowy woods like Sasquatch - bonus points for cheap and lightweight.

MSR lightning assents would be my recommendation for step terrain.

Edit: some photos from a trip the other week.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 10, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

yes

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I'm looking for some recommendations for hikes in Colorado. I'll be attending a conference at the Snowmass Base Village Conference center form June 22-27. During the week, I'll have the afternoons free from 12:30-4:00, and won't have transportation. I was hoping for a few recommendations for hikes that could be reached on foot from the base village, and completed in about 3-4 hours, preferably something that will get me some elevation gain for acclimatizing.

After the conference is over, I was planning on renting a car on Friday and driving somewhere for a longer hike on Saturday. Then driving to Denver after the hike, and flying out on Sunday or Monday. I was hoping people had a recommendation for a good 14er to start with that would be generally between Snowmass and Denver, not too long (=<12 miles), and a trail with a fair amount of traffic (at the request of my wife since I'll be solo). I was planning on crashing in the car at whatever trailhead on Friday night, so an early start isn't a problem.

Also, what can I expect in terms of snow, weather, etc the last weekend in June? What kind of gear do I need to bring?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Edit: some photos from a trip the other week.

Awesome trip and resend action :)

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

EPICAC posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations for hikes in Colorado. I'll be attending a conference at the Snowmass Base Village Conference center form June 22-27. During the week, I'll have the afternoons free from 12:30-4:00, and won't have transportation. I was hoping for a few recommendations for hikes that could be reached on foot from the base village, and completed in about 3-4 hours, preferably something that will get me some elevation gain for acclimatizing.

After the conference is over, I was planning on renting a car on Friday and driving somewhere for a longer hike on Saturday. Then driving to Denver after the hike, and flying out on Sunday or Monday. I was hoping people had a recommendation for a good 14er to start with that would be generally between Snowmass and Denver, not too long (=<12 miles), and a trail with a fair amount of traffic (at the request of my wife since I'll be solo). I was planning on crashing in the car at whatever trailhead on Friday night, so an early start isn't a problem.

Also, what can I expect in terms of snow, weather, etc the last weekend in June? What kind of gear do I need to bring?
Mt. Bierstadt is relatively close to Denver and is a pretty easy day hike with a good amount of foot traffic. In June you can have any kind of weather on a 14er, it will probably be windy and a little cold, lots of UV, possible rain or snow. Bring enough water for the whole trip, don't expect to be able to fill up along the trail. Plus, you may see mountain goats there!

Or Pike's Peak if you want the :lol: easy 14er.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Defiant Sally posted:

Has anyone been out in Kananaskis/Canmore area recently? How are the scrambling routes looking snow wise?

I haven't been out at all, too busy with school and preparing to head stateside in just over 2 weeks. But these are my go-to sources for trying to find out conditions this time of year:

Club Tread Message Boards (This one is Alberta)

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=36

Calgary Outdoor Club (people post photos in the calendar of past hikes)

http://www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com/

I also recommend checking these guys out, they post a lot of important and interesting things:

https://www.facebook.com/KCPublicSafety?fref=ts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Verman, there's also Devils Lake by Madison. Check out the crane foundation that's nearby if you go.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Discomancer posted:

Mt. Bierstadt is relatively close to Denver and is a pretty easy day hike with a good amount of foot traffic. In June you can have any kind of weather on a 14er, it will probably be windy and a little cold, lots of UV, possible rain or snow. Bring enough water for the whole trip, don't expect to be able to fill up along the trail. Plus, you may see mountain goats there!

Or Pike's Peak if you want the :lol: easy 14er.

Thanks, I'll look into Bierstadt. How are Grays and Torreys when combined? Depending on what day I fly out, I might try for two hikes.

Waters not an issue. I'm paranoid about running out, and have been carrying about twice what I need all winter. I assume snow conditions can be quite variable from year to year depending on the snowfall. Any suggestions for resources for trail conditions etc? Will I need to brink along my crampons/microspikes/ice axe? (Packing more stuff isn't an issue since my employer will be paying for any baggage fees).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I wouldn't say either Gray's or Torrey's is particularly difficult. The only hard part about combining them is dealing with the number of people on the trail.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Try the east slope of Pike's peak, it's exactly marathon distance round trip and as grueling as it is beautiful. It's also the only mountain I've climbed with the surreal experience of seeing all the tourists from Texas who are having difficultly climbing back into their Suburbans because of the altitude at the top.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mt Evans would be cool to do. Head out from echo lake. Neat view of Denver and the sprawl.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Elbert is the highest and the easiest, in my opinion.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

GreyPowerVan posted:

cheap, small bag

Rio Grande 45L.

About $50 after shipping, you can get it in black, OD, Tan, various camos, and bright orange.

I did some hiking the other week too!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

45L is solidly midsize.

Look for something around 30L, maybe a Boreas?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Speleothing posted:

45L is solidly midsize.

Food + water + sleeping bag + clothes + first aid + survival gear, could totally become 45L if she has some clothes and enough food for a long trip.

You could likely swing a 30L, I went on an overnight in good weather with a 32L patagonia bag I got for free from Appnexus. Tied my sleeping pad to the back but otherwise it was enough.

If she is really only carrying food and you are a boyfriend/packmule then you might as well go nuts and get her a Flash 19 or something, at least it will get used outside of your once a month backpacking trips.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I'm attempting to squat on the mountains of Tasmania, and went for a hike in hopes of adding a summit to my belt but unfortunately strayed from the path, got lost and frightened and went home. But here are some photos.

There apparently used to be a bridge here, but has long since been washed away

warm up squat, i was drat proud of this one :allears:

In order to get to the track you have to cross the rivulet, it was an omen of things to come

Mount cummings / chasm falls junction (4 hour return my rear end)

Less proud of this squat, i would later come back to this waterfall after my failed climb to try and fill my water bottle with the sweet nectar of falls-water in my naked splendour. but ended up slipping, hurting myself and drinking from the stagnant pool at the bottom as my punishment.

It was at this point I decided I had strayed from the path of the 'day walk' trail and precariously made my way back. I survived a bumble-bee attack, and my walking stick broke.

nice view though.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

what are some good multi-day hikes in the BC/Canadian west coast area that are comparable to the West Coast Trail? Looking to do something with my buddies in August but due to some coordination issues we can't do the WCT. Something with great views but is a fairly challenging 3-7 day hike. thanks

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Keldoclock posted:

Food + water + sleeping bag + clothes + first aid + survival gear, could totally become 45L if she has some clothes and enough food for a long trip.

You could likely swing a 30L, I went on an overnight in good weather with a 32L patagonia bag I got for free from Appnexus. Tied my sleeping pad to the back but otherwise it was enough.

If she is really only carrying food and you are a boyfriend/packmule then you might as well go nuts and get her a Flash 19 or something, at least it will get used outside of your once a month backpacking trips.

I can get all my winter camping & avvy gear into a 38L, for a 2-night ski trip in a quinzhee. With the pad strapped to the outside, but that's pretty typical for most people..
I'm 6'2", so an averaged-size girl with no tent and summerweight clothes and bag can probably fit a weeklong into a 30 or 35. Particularly if you aren't carrying extra crap.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Half Dome cable permit lottery results come out today. Mine was unsuccessful. Hopefully the friends I am going with have better luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can anyone recommend some easy day hikes near Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Taos? I'll be exploring that area in a few days, would love to find an easy hike with great views to take some scenic landscape photos. I'd be by myself and not much in the way of equipment.