Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

WindyMan posted:

Yes, ChampCar still exists. In his head. That is the only place it currently exists. Mark Plourde's head.

This is even more amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So ChumpCar's website shows a race at Belle Isle the same weekend as the IndyCar double-header, but the Detroit GP website's weekend schedule has zero mention of ChumpCar...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mark Plourde entered his first Indycar race at the age of 13.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

So ChumpCar's website shows a race at Belle Isle the same weekend as the IndyCar double-header, but the Detroit GP website's weekend schedule has zero mention of ChumpCar...
You might be looking at an old schedule or something, ChumpCar doesn't have a race that weekend that I see. Although I would totally support that, thats like when they used to do demolition derbys/figure 8 before sprint car races at local dirt tracks.

http://www.chumpcar.com/downloads/2014ChumpCarSchedule.pdf

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Perhaps Condren's delusions of grandeur have finally gotten the better of him?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

You might be looking at an old schedule or something, ChumpCar doesn't have a race that weekend that I see. Although I would totally support that, thats like when they used to do demolition derbys/figure 8 before sprint car races at local dirt tracks.

http://www.chumpcar.com/downloads/2014ChumpCarSchedule.pdf

Bahahah I was referring to Champ Car not realizing that there's an actual Chump Car :doh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Chump Car is better in every way, too.

e- it's no LeMons, though

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Chump Car does have the better name.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

LeMons and ChumpCar are both awesome in their own ways.

If you see any current information about the Champ Car World Series, it's the aforementioned self-run fanfic being organized by a very delusional man in Las Vegas. It doesn't exist.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Mark Plourde is the Lars and the Real Girl of racing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Okay, I've been in this thread long enough not knowing so I need an answer at this point:

Who the gently caress is Mark Plourde

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

kidcoelacanth posted:

Okay, I've been in this thread long enough not knowing so I need an answer at this point:

http://www.champcar-ws.com/mark_plourde

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

kidcoelacanth posted:

Probably should be a case study for the next edition of the DSM IV.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

kidcoelacanth posted:

http://www.popoffvalve.com/2011/1/3/1911942/the-greatest-open-wheel-racer-the-world-has-never-seen

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VikingSkull posted:

ChumpCar is at least real racing, rather than parade floats. But it's run by a nutter. World Racing League is where the action will be in 2014.

Also, you Plourde-groupies really shouldn't dignify his delusions with attention or page views. He's obviously pretty sick.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 11, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

ChumpCar is at least real racing, rather than parade floats.
ChumpCar would be cooler if it wasnt just a bunch of 325i's spending thousands in cheater parts, being run by people who actually take themselves seriously, despite trying to pretend really really hard that they dont. Thats been my experience with the series anyway.

Lemons is definitely more of a clusterfuck but thats the charm to me.

But really if you're gonna build a car up from scratch, you might as well build it to Chump rules. Unless you have something really, really awesome/stupid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Good, even when you're talking about them it's weird when strangers on the internet past pics of people you know.

Those loving glasses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Practice 1 just started, and it sounds like they might've actually given their streaming server more than a 56k modem to work with!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
First practice is starting now! Timing & Scoring is active

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fastest in this session last year was Hinch at a 1:09.8, but were a tick cooler this year than last.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Fastest in this session last year was Hinch at a 1:09.8, but were a tick cooler this year than last.

Fastest so far this session is Newgarden (1:10.0648) who just brought out the Red flag after putting his car into the tire barrier before Turn 8

Edit: Practice 1 complete, Hinch finishes in P1 at 1:09.8110

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 11, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

ChumpCar would be cooler if it wasnt just a bunch of 325i's spending thousands in cheater parts, being run by people who actually take themselves seriously, despite trying to pretend really really hard that they dont. Thats been my experience with the series anyway.

Lemons is definitely more of a clusterfuck but thats the charm to me.

But really if you're gonna build a car up from scratch, you might as well build it to Chump rules. Unless you have something really, really awesome/stupid.

Chump has two different types of people racing in it, IME. You have the "I'm going to take a piece of poo poo car racing" folks, and the "I want to go endurance racing but I don't have a trust fund" folks. Most of the latter will use an E30 because why wouldn't you? They make very very good cheap race cars. We normally race a Golf GTI which I adore driving but my best result came in an E30 at the VIR 24 hour race last year (we came second out 106).

As for spending thousands on cheaty bits, dude, this is motorsport. Everyone cheats, at every level. If you aren't then you're not trying hard enough.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Can I get an updated twin turbo for my new honda?!?

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Practice 2 is green. Not sure why I'm still stuck in the office but I'll listen to this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RHR was fastest last year in P2 at 1:09.424.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

Can I get an updated twin turbo for my new Honda?!?

Only if you add that anti-lag thingy they put into the cars when it idles

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Only if you add that anti-lag thingy they put into the cars when it idles

Won't sound any different either way.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sipag leads P2 with a 1:09.148. No super teams in the top 4.

Looks like were a few tenths faster than last year, where Dario put up a 1:07.239 for pole... we could get down into the 1:06's this year in qual trim, but I don't think we will get to the 1:06.886 track record (Bourdais, 06) I was hoping to see fall.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

devmd01 posted:

Can I get an updated twin turbo for my new honda?!?

I too dream of freshly cut grass.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Pagenaud posted another visor cam video, and it's incredible. The video also shows him practicing a standing start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6mJm63Svw

Uncle Jam posted:

I too dream of freshly cut grass.

Pretty sure the only freshly cut grass in all of the east side of the state is at Comerica Park

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Missed most of both practice sessions because I decamped to the fan expo for some time wrestling a Caddy and a Star Mazda through LB on iracing sims. Currently getting lit up with booze in the C300 suite and patiently waiting for IMSA qualifying.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Missed most of both practice sessions because I decamped to the fan expo for some time wrestling a Caddy and a Star Mazda through LB on iracing sims. Currently getting lit up with booze in the C300 suite and patiently waiting for IMSA qualifying.

I just got done running LB laps in the IndyCar and I really suck. I can barely put together a single lap without putting it into the wall.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've got an extra Sat GA and Paddock Pass for tomorrow if anyone wants em for free ninteynine. PM me, I'll be at the track at 10am tomorrow.

E: taken!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 12, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
While you iRacing people are downloading your latest dll patch or whatever you do when not racing Mark Plourde, those of us with Xbox Ones have been discovering that Long Beach is actually really well rendered in Forza.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'll take accurate physics with quality wheel support over eye candy any day of the week.

e- also full updates take like a minute, how long do patches take on the XBONE?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

VikingSkull posted:

I'll take accurate physics .

Oh, I thought you were talking about iracing there for a sec.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
In comparison to Forza? Absolutely.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Just a gentle reminder that no one should buy the 'bone, especially for a single game. There is a massive hate thread in Games and most of the hateration is justified.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I bought one 3 months ago, have yet to play it, and do not have any regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Microsoft is raffling off a 'Bone and Forza 5 in the expo area. That's about the only way I'd end up owning either.

Anyway, Indychat! Hawksworth looked pretty good in practice, wouldn't be surprised to see him qualify well today.

• Locked thread