Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Love it when Boris brings the rock. Stoked for the album/tour! Here's another old rocker they've got, one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbLxyIAMx0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Edit: double post

ethan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 9, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

Really kickass metal fest got announced in Tampa. It's called Southern Darkness Fest and it's on August 23rd. Lineup so far's leaning towards filthy sludge/Southern Lord bands.

Here's who's been announced so far:

Pelican
Black Tusk
Bongripper
All Pigs Must Die
Lord Mantis
Mouth of the Architect
Phobia
Yautja
Zoroaster
ASG
A Storm of Light
Junius
Weekend Nachos
Jungbluth
Everything Went Black
Strong Intention
Coke Bust
Sannheit

As well, there's a ton of great local Florida bands like Maruta, Centuries, Set and Setting, and Traitor Crucifix playing. If you live in the South, you need to go to this. There's still more bands to get added to the bill, but considering they just added Bongripper today, I feel like the rest of them are going to be crazy.

That is an insanely good lineup. But Florida in the summer.....

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
While top 10 lists are generally poo poo, OC Weekly's Top 10 Stoner Metal Bands list really dropped the ball.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Any such list that doesn't have Sleep in the number one spot is wrong, but yeah that one is pretty bad. Black Sabbath are (were) a great band and obviously their influence has been massive but I'd hesitate to call them metal and in any case the genre has kinda moved on since Master of Reality. Saint Vitus and arguably Orange Goblin don't really belong and I've never heard of Cannabis Corpse before but from the video in the article I wouldn't really put them there either. Also missing out High on Fire and Cathedral is unforgivable. Trying to come up with my own list now, I can think of lots of bands but ranking them would be tricky;

Darthemed posted:

top 10 lists are generally poo poo

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah, Cannabis Corpse are just weed-themed death metal rather than actual stoner metal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Any such list that doesn't have Sleep in the number one spot is wrong, but yeah that one is pretty bad. Black Sabbath are (were) a great band and obviously their influence has been massive but I'd hesitate to call them metal and in any case the genre has kinda moved on since Master of Reality. Saint Vitus and arguably Orange Goblin don't really belong and I've never heard of Cannabis Corpse before but from the video in the article I wouldn't really put them there either. Also missing out High on Fire and Cathedral is unforgivable. Trying to come up with my own list now, I can think of lots of bands but ranking them would be tricky;
Please tell me you meant to say "stoner metal," because the idea that Black Sabbath is not a metal band by today's standards is ludicrous and weirdly prevalent.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Orange Goblin would count if they still sounded like they did on Frequencies from Planet Ten and Time Travelling blues, now they’re just a somewhat decent but run of the mill heavy metal band.

I wish they still sounded like they used to.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Henchman of Santa posted:

Please tell me you meant to say "stoner metal," because the idea that Black Sabbath is not a metal band by today's standards is ludicrous and weirdly prevalent.
Yeah, sorry. Doom metal I'd say for sure, but when I think of stoner metal I think of something else. It's Sabbath influenced but Sabbath are not it. This kind of subgenre discussion is nearly as bad as top ten lists, isn't it?

e: Also when I say Black Sabbath I really mean Black Sabbath up to and including Mob Rules. I'm not sure I've even heard their later stuff.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 10, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just in case a full length, triple LP of early material, and a collaboration with The Body wasn't enough for you, Thou are streaming a new EP recorded during the Heathen sessions here: https://soundcloud.com/roboticempire/sets/thou-the-sacrifice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nomapple posted:

Just in case a full length, triple LP of early material, and a collaboration with The Body wasn't enough for you, Thou are streaming a new EP recorded during the Heathen sessions here: https://soundcloud.com/roboticempire/sets/thou-the-sacrifice

Aghghghghghg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Eyehategod just announced a tour with Ringworm and Enabler. It's gonna be hateful.

quote:

5/28/2014 Masquerade - Atlanta, GA

5/29/2014 Drunk Horse - Fayetteville, NC

5/30/2014 Chop Shop - Charlotte NC

5/31/2014 611 - Frederick, MD

6/01/2014 Underground Arts - Philadelphia, PA

6/02/2014 Rex Theater - Pittsburgh, PA

6/03/2014 Strange Matter - Richmond, VA

6/04/2014 American Legion Post 80 - Binghamton, NY

6/05/2014 Brighton Music Hall - Boston, MA

6/06/2014 Even Flow - Long Island, NY

6/07/2014 Europa - Brooklyn, NY

6/08/2014 Basement Transmissions - Erie, PA

6/09/2014 Bug Jar - Rochester, NY

6/10/2014 Loving Touch - Detroit, MI

6/11/2014 Now That’s Class - Cleveland, OH

6/12/2014 Birdy’s - Indianapolis, IN

6/13/2014 Cobra Lounge - Chicago, IL

6/14/2014 Pyramid Scheme - Grand Rapids, MI

6/15/2014 TBA - Appleton, WI

6/16/2014 TBA - TBA

6/17/2014 Diamond Pub - Louisville, KY

6/18/2014 Fubar - St. Louis, MO

6/19/2014 Hi Tone - Memphis, TN

6/20/2014 Southport - New Orleans, LA

6/21/2014 Dollhouse - Savannah, GA

6/22/2014 Orpheum - Tampa, FL
The only other time I've been to the Loving Touch was for a high school graduation party. Some old guy nobody knew sang "Out of Africa" on the karaoke machine.

I know nothing about Enabler but apparently Andy Hurley from Fall Out Boy plays drums for them. lol

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Enabler is the best part of that tour

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Really kickass metal fest got announced in Tampa. It's called Southern Darkness Fest and it's on August 23rd. Lineup so far's leaning towards filthy sludge/Southern Lord bands.

Pelican
Black Tusk
Bongripper
All Pigs Must Die
Lord Mantis
Mouth of the Architect
Phobia
Yautja
Zoroaster
ASG
A Storm of Light
Junius
Weekend Nachos
Jungbluth
Everything Went Black
Strong Intention
Coke Bust
Sannheit

As well, there's a ton of great local Florida bands like Maruta, Centuries, Set and Setting, and Traitor Crucifix playing. If you live in the South, you need to go to this. There's still more bands to get added to the bill, but considering they just added Bongripper today, I feel like the rest of them are going to be crazy.

Yessssssssss. This is going to be amazing and I'm going to drag my ska-playing friends to this and crush their tiny, ska-playing minds. gently caress yes gonna see Bongripper :2bong: :black101:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

I guess this is what I'll be listening to until June then. Also I want to see them do Flood live in its entirety again.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Saw Corrections House live tonight and loving hell it was amazing. Mike seems totally unhinged, and Scott Kelly was awesome as always. Mike had a go at someone at the front for using their phone through one of the quiet songs, and Scott chucked water over people who were pissing him off. At the end of the set they were kicking the monitors off stage and poo poo whilst howling into the microphones. The live saxophonist was brilliant as well, it was really cool to see how he loops and distorts it all. I really wouldn't miss out on seeing them if you get the chance. I absolutely lost it during Dirt Poor & Mentally Ill, and Serve or Survive.

(If you have no idea who Corrections House are you should rectify that because the album is amazing and they share members with EHG/Neurosis and Nachtmystium (I think), amongst others). Seriously though, their live show. Wow.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

nomapple posted:

Saw Corrections House live tonight and loving hell it was amazing. Mike seems totally unhinged, and Scott Kelly was awesome as always. Mike had a go at someone at the front for using their phone through one of the quiet songs, and Scott chucked water over people who were pissing him off. At the end of the set they were kicking the monitors off stage and poo poo whilst howling into the microphones. The live saxophonist was brilliant as well, it was really cool to see how he loops and distorts it all. I really wouldn't miss out on seeing them if you get the chance. I absolutely lost it during Dirt Poor & Mentally Ill, and Serve or Survive.

(If you have no idea who Corrections House are you should rectify that because the album is amazing and they share members with EHG/Neurosis and Nachtmystium (I think), amongst others). Seriously though, their live show. Wow.

That saxophonist's Bruce Lamont. The music he's made with Yakuza's really impressive in it's own right. It's like if Angelo Badalamenti did doom metal.

Also, Sanford Parker's not actually in Nachtmystium anymore.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 13, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was looking for something to flatten my new Godflesh tour poster, then noticed this gaudy gold frame I've had sitting around unused. It's the exact size, wham-bam-instant fine art.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Stoneburner - Life Drawing came out and it's great (I wish I could find a link to Caged Bird, but the album is on Spotify so i assume it's on other streaming services)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLxtyNmrjJk

Lots of great stuff today; I'm just now working through it all.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

Robophile posted:

Anyone else run across this Bog Oak demo? Female-fronted doom with a bit of a sludgey edge. I'm digging it so far.

http://www.cvltnation.com/sickest-doom-bandyou-will-hear-this-week-bog-oak/

This is pretty rad, thanks for the link.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

Pelican
Black Tusk
Bongripper
All Pigs Must Die
Lord Mantis
Mouth of the Architect
Phobia
Yautja
Zoroaster
ASG
A Storm of Light
Junius
Weekend Nachos
Jungbluth
Everything Went Black
Strong Intention
Coke Bust
Sannheit

:stare: Jesus christ I might have to loving roadtrip out there, god drat what a lineup. I only discovered ASG a year or two (I think because of this forum) and I thought Blood Drive loving owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UwWCkh0pI

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

ChickenArise posted:

Stoneburner - Life Drawing came out and it's great (I wish I could find a link to Caged Bird, but the album is on Spotify so i assume it's on other streaming services)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLxtyNmrjJk

Lots of great stuff today; I'm just now working through it all.

This really reminds me of old Neurosis. It makes sense that they're on their label now.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Friends Are Evil posted:

This really reminds me of old Neurosis. It makes sense that they're on their label now.

And the bass player is Scott Kelly's kid.

edit: he's a good dude, too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

DEAR RICHARD posted:

And the bass player is Scott Kelly's kid.

edit: he's a good dude, too.

I actually didn't know that. That makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Friends Are Evil posted:

I actually didn't know that. That makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

He doesn't really advertise that/rely on that, which is pretty cool.

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
Hey dummies, Floor's new album is streaming: http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/stream-floors-new-album-oblation-exclusively-terrorizer/

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
http://emptybottle.com/show/4191764

High on Fire with Bongripper Sunday June 1st. Empty Bottle, Chicago.

Guess I'm seeing Bongripper again.

Never been to the bottle, hows parking? Should I just take a cab?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
New Mastodon track "High Road" - http://www.stereogum.com/1676208/mastodon-high-road/mp3s/

Not sure how long this will last, they've been getting taken down pretty quickly. I like it, but I also liked The Hunter a lot.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Anyone listening to Dopelord, specifically Black Arts, Riff Worship & Weed Cult? I'm digging it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Polegrinder posted:

New Mastodon track "High Road" - http://www.stereogum.com/1676208/mastodon-high-road/mp3s/

Not sure how long this will last, they've been getting taken down pretty quickly. I like it, but I also liked The Hunter a lot.

That bit rate's really bad. I've never really noticed that on a stream before now.

Still, I'm into it. Really into it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oliver Reed posted:

Anyone listening to Dopelord, specifically Black Arts, Riff Worship & Weed Cult? I'm digging it.

Haha at first I thought this was, like, a bunch of EPs that I had missed or something. Thanks for the heads up, I really enjoyed Magick Rights so I'll be sure to check these out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

That bit rate's really bad. I've never really noticed that on a stream before now.

It's a radio rip so yeah, the quality's awful.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
Here's some punk-influenced sludge: Stone Titan - Peace, Love and Get the gently caress Out of My Face
http://safetymeeting.bandcamp.com/album/peace-love-and-get-the-gently caress-out-of-my-face

The overall aesthetic's a little goofy, but it rips pretty hard anyway.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

drat, that was fast they already took it down. I felt like I was in the minority in enjoying the hell out of The Hunter, but I also loved Baroness' Yellow & Green so I'm probably crazy. :v:

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

This is so good. I hope they abandon Torche and stick with this!

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Awesome Welles posted:

drat, that was fast they already took it down. I felt like I was in the minority in enjoying the hell out of The Hunter, but I also loved Baroness' Yellow & Green so I'm probably crazy. :v:

They now have a high quality version streaming on their website, mastodonrocks.com/highroad

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

What 2014 releases have you guys been listening to?

For me, Mammoth Storm's Rite of Ascension (which is freely available*) and Conan - Blood Eagle.

*http://mammothstorm.bandcamp.com/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oliver Reed posted:

What 2014 releases have you guys been listening to?

The Body - I Shall Die Here is my Doom AOTY so far. poo poo is unbelievably heavy.

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

Polegrinder posted:

You can listen to it here now: http://www.mastodonrocks.com/highroad

I love it. Even more excited than I was before for this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Firecube posted:

You can listen to it here now: http://www.mastodonrocks.com/highroad

I love it. Even more excited than I was before for this album.

I wasn't into it when I heard the leak, but listening to this a couple of times has turned me around. It's a pretty basic structure, but love that main riff, and the vocals are killer.