Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pureauthor posted:

Apparently not.

:negative:

Stoner Sunshine's theme will never come to pass will it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ahaha come on it is SRW. Glacial changes! Maybe in 2018 we will have that feature.

Right now I just hope stupid poo poo like trans am doesn't overwrite my music.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had just time this morning to play two missions. ECS on the FMP units is not what I expected, it's a one time seishin buff at the beginning of the stage. Also there are still two Japans.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
More BGMs incoming:

Macross F units' theme: The Target

00 Gundam units' theme: Final Mission ~ Quantum Burst

Code Geass units' theme: World End

FUMOFUUUUUUUUUU!

Gurren Lagann units' other theme: Pierce the Heavens With Your XXX!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 11, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yay, my favorite Geass and GL songs are finally in.

Digging the World's End remix.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!
Its going to be SO hard not to make ALL MY SUPERS use Pierce the Heavens with Your XXX.

So 2ch people who beat the game say

>Nu Gundam under repairs it will use Unicorn Gundam tech for next game
>Char is still neutral
>Kamille, Emma, Fa, Banagher head to Shangri-La for repairs to their units.
>Shin Mazinger plot isn't finished
>TTGL final battle ends incomplete with invaders stopping the battle between Anti-Spiral and TTGL, also a looming Menace of an Emperor(?)
>FMP plot is finished, EVOL Finished
>ELS appear in the epilogue invading worlds
Overall thoughts
>Space module 77 was hinted
>Hostile Aliens from Jupiter
>The Game seems rushed but it's better than Hakai-Hen and animations are great.Maximum break needs improvement, Tri system must return for next game.

Eternal Volfogg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 10, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Brunom1 posted:

This is a pretty good remix. I hesitate to call it one, because it sounds really close to the actual song.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Eternal Volfogg posted:

Its going to be SO hard not to make ALL MY SUPERS use Pierce the Heavens with Your XXX.

>Nu Gundam under repairs it will use Unicorn Gundam tech for next game

I really hope this won't be an excuse to turn it into the ugly as sin Nu Gundam Ver Ka.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

:negative:

Stoner Sunshine's theme will never come to pass will it.

Just set it to Max Break theme. Always maximum break with stoner sunshine.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Son Ryo posted:

I really hope this won't be an excuse to turn it into the ugly as sin Nu Gundam Ver Ka.

Maybe it'll be an excuse to include the Hi-nu?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Stop hotlinking pics from /m/ you guys the moment the thread 404's they're gone. :cripes:

Also I hope it's an excuse for Hi-Nu myself. Also I guess the EVA story stops at Asuka getting slamjammed inside Unit-03

Haha I missed >TTGL final battle ends incomplete with invaders stopping the battle between Anti-Spiral and TTGL, also a looming Menace of an Emperor(?)

:black101:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 10, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

For those Japanese Illiterate, how do I not gently caress up stage 4?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Kitfox88 posted:

Haha I missed >TTGL final battle ends incomplete with invaders stopping the battle between Anti-Spiral and TTGL, also a looming Menace of an Emperor(?)

:black101:

Holy poo poo, the crossover I've been longing for :allears: Gonna have to import Z3 sooner rather than later I guess!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TheManSeries posted:

Just survive and defend for a few turns until reinforcements come.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

More BGMs incoming:

Code Geass units' theme: World End

FUMOFUUUUUUUUUU!

Gurren Lagann units' other theme: Pierce the Heavens With Your XXX!

All of these sound really drat good, especially the Gurren Lagann one and World End. Music's a big reason why I love this series and this game definitely hasn't disappointed me yet on that count.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hahaha. Hahahahaha. Someone just got Chirico's Ace Bonus: Abnormal Survivor now kicks in at 30% HP

Ah man this makes him much more usable normally, it's not even funny.

kag3man3
Jan 25, 2004

TheManSeries posted:

Also don't counter attack at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Combo/Tag system honestly does a lot to make the gameplay more fun since you have valid reasons to think about your attack order and such.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Combo/Tag system honestly does a lot to make the gameplay more fun since you have valid reasons to think about your attack order and such.

Can you/someone go into detail about that stuff for us feeble non-japanese readers? Worst part about new systems is that I have no idea what to do for weeks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So this is how Z3.1 handles Celestial Being: The Movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Can you/someone go into detail about that stuff for us feeble non-japanese readers? Worst part about new systems is that I have no idea what to do for weeks.

The combo system is fairly simple: Kill enemies and you build a combo which increases your damage and post-battle rewards. However any action you take without killing an enemy (including just moving units) lowers your combo by 1 instead.

Tag Tension is fairly straightfoward:
Killing enemies (and I believe leveling up) builds up a Tag Tension meter. You can spend this meter in five ways:

Activate Continuous Movement (no longer a skill)
Increase your PP for your next kill
Increase your Z-Chip gain for your next kill.
Restore your SP.
Activate a Maximum Break. (Increased damage, both pilots can attack at the same range, ignores barriers, uses the entire tension gauge.)

So the ideal way to do stages is to plan out long combo chains and then hit a boss character with either a Maximum Break or a Bonus PP/Bonus Z-Chip for maximum prizes.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Cool, thanks. Are the Tag and Combo systems for the whole team or for individual units?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Eternal Volfogg posted:

>Kamille, Emma, Fa, Banagher head to Shangri-La for repairs to their units.

You better not be loving with me here Banpresto.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

KoB posted:

Cool, thanks. Are the Tag and Combo systems for the whole team or for individual units?
Combo bonus applies to everyone. Each partner pair has their own tag meter.

It's pretty fun. You can basically chain entire maps down with continuous attack though for better or for worse, but you pretty much need a very powerful ALL attack to do it since assist attacks aren't always the best (although some pilots have really great assist attacks, like Luca from Macross F who actually uses his banshees for his).

Although to be honest I'm hardly touching seishins right now in the game with the new SP system. I can't be bothered to use the tag system to restore SP and I keep forgetting you regen 5 sp a turn now. Enemies just don't seem to have very good stats so far but I'm still pretty early.

Maximum break basically allows you to ignore all the limitations with assist attacks. The sub unit can use every single move in a maximum break, and they all act as Post movement abilities as well (so difficult to position attacks can be freely used). In addition you can have them assist with their own ALL attack to your ALL attack.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 10, 2014

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I love how much more dynamic the game feels now, although its still like stage 3 only. Its still great though that I have way more to think about now than which unit is above 120 Will and whats the nearest thing it can kill to trigger continuous action.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

This is the single greatest film that could ever exist and the world is a worse place for it not.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

AradoBalanga posted:

This is making that awesome Quantum Burst remix even better.

BlitzBlast posted:

You better not be loving with me here Banpresto.

Marida/Puru interactions in Z3-2?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So is Hibiki's gimmick just saying constant engrish catch phrases?

Not my match!
Feel good!
Nice one!
Well done!
Cloud 9!

etc he kind of never stops

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

In all fairness, Crowe and Esther did the same thing.
"Just one chance!"
"One shot kill!"
Stuff like that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Okay, this sounds interesting. Can you explain why you put units into tag teams to begin with? I've never really liked tag team mechanics in SRPGs but I guess I'm going to have to in this game. Can you move one tag team and choose to have both units attack independently, like having two separate units in one icon, or all at once like a normal assist?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

In all fairness, Crowe and Esther did the same thing.
"Just one chance!"
"One shot kill!"
Stuff like that.
Crowe and Esther had the justifiable excuse of being Britannian (Crowe's from Chicago, and I think Esther is from the Midwestern United States, IIRC). Hibiki...doesn't exactly have that same excuse.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Policenaut posted:

Okay, this sounds interesting. Can you explain why you put units into tag teams to begin with? I've never really liked tag team mechanics in SRPGs but I guess I'm going to have to in this game. Can you move one tag team and choose to have both units attack independently, like having two separate units in one icon, or all at once like a normal assist?

Because you put units in teams or you deploy half the characters you normally could.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Because you put units in teams or you deploy half the characters you normally could.

Oh, so putting units in teams lets you go beyond the deployment limit? Okay that sounds useful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

It's basically a partner system. You get two slots per deploy and there is absolutely no reason not to partner people up. You can choose to have both units attack the same target, both units attack separate targets, or just one unit attack (usually with an ALL attack.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Policenaut posted:

It's just like the partner system from Z1. You can switch who the leader is at any time on the map. You can't split the pairing in the field like in OGs as you come partnered from the deployment screen.

Every unit in the game has an attack marked as "ASSI" (for assist obviously). Whenever you attack a unit, the sub unit will always use its assist attack as long as it's within range (post movement doesn't matter, they always use the assist attack unless you're maximum breaking).

As far as attacking, they took the same system from Z1 but tweaked it a bit. Both units can attack the leader or split their attacks between two enemy units in the same pair. Unlike Z1 though you're still locked to using the assist attack with the partner. If you use an ALL attack, your partner does nothing unless you are maximum breaking and then they can lob in their own ALL attack (they might be able to use a different single target attack, haven't tried).

Honestly the mechanics are very simple. If you played Z1, it should all be very similar except now you have a new menu option for spending your tag options. Maximum break is pretty similar to OGs2 but less of a hassle to use.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Policenaut posted:

Oh, so putting units in teams lets you go beyond the deployment limit? Okay that sounds useful.

Not quite. Have you played any Squad based SRWs before?

The games are designed around each unit being a group of mechs. In this game's case the leader mech and the backup attacker.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

All of this sounds pretty exciting. I've never actually played an SRW with a squad system before so this is all new and confusing to me, but the way you're all explaining it makes it sound good. Okay, I think I'm down with this. Thanks!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rascyc posted:

Maximum break is pretty similar to OGs2 but less of a hassle to use.

Pretty similar might be a stretch. Maximum Breaks were a huge restrictive pain in the rear end to use in OGs2nd and were basically big fancy support attacks that were reserved for blowing up big nasty bosses. This game encourages you to fliff out maximum breaks to kill anything and everything that's just a little too tough for you to bowl over normally. Being able to double up on ALLs and have your partner use post-movement and range restricted attacks freely is pretty ridiculous.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The combo system is fairly simple: Kill enemies and you build a combo which increases your damage and post-battle rewards. However any action you take without killing an enemy (including just moving units) lowers your combo by 1 instead.

Tag Tension is fairly straightfoward:
Killing enemies (and I believe leveling up) builds up a Tag Tension meter. You can spend this meter in five ways:

Activate Continuous Movement (no longer a skill)
Increase your PP for your next kill
Increase your Z-Chip gain for your next kill.
Restore your SP.
Activate a Maximum Break. (Increased damage, both pilots can attack at the same range, ignores barriers, uses the entire tension gauge.)

So the ideal way to do stages is to plan out long combo chains and then hit a boss character with either a Maximum Break or a Bonus PP/Bonus Z-Chip for maximum prizes.

Sweet baby Jesus. I was kinda bummed when you said continuous action was no longer a skill. Only to realize you can basically act forever so long as you keep killing things.

New favourite SRW. Hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanos posted:

Pretty similar might be a stretch. Maximum Breaks were a huge restrictive pain in the rear end to use in OGs2nd and were basically big fancy support attacks that were reserved for blowing up big nasty bosses. This game encourages you to fliff out maximum breaks to kill anything and everything that's just a little too tough for you to bowl over normally. Being able to double up on ALLs and have your partner use post-movement and range restricted attacks freely is pretty ridiculous.
I guess! It's no continuous movement that's for sure. I just used it to get any skill points where the boss flees.

I pretty much use continuous movement or z-chip bonus (no good reason for this last one).

• Locked thread