Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4NJi_gogg

That's what it sounds like. I have no idea what the cause is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That sounds like something hitting the impeller. There might be a bit of plastic that it's catching, or something.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Has anyone come across, or compiled, a decent set of "sous vide for convenience" type recipes. Along the lines of the curry in a bag mentioned a few pages a go.

I'd love to be able to bulk prep for the week, either pre cooking at the weekend and chill or sticking in a bag ready to puddle the morning of. But I've not had enough puddling practise yet, so wondering if there's some tried and tested meals in a bag?

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

MeKeV posted:

Has anyone come across, or compiled, a decent set of "sous vide for convenience" type recipes. Along the lines of the curry in a bag mentioned a few pages a go.

I'd love to be able to bulk prep for the week, either pre cooking at the weekend and chill or sticking in a bag ready to puddle the morning of. But I've not had enough puddling practise yet, so wondering if there's some tried and tested meals in a bag?

It isn't very inventive, but vacuum sealed stuff from the grocery store works. I try the stuff at Trader Joe's and it's worked well, just don't use glue sealed stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MeKeV posted:

Take 2 lbs ground beef and some salt + pepper, and form it into 8 burger patties, roughly 1" thick. Bag individually, and puddle at 138*F or so for anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours (I like to get this started after dinner, and then forget about them until just before bed). Stick 'em in an ice bath, and then into the fridge. Congratulations, you have pre-made hamburgers for the next week or so. You can sear them in a pan if you're feeling fancy, or just toss them in the microwave at work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally tried s-v boneless skinless chicken breast. 140* for 2hrs. tried to brown it a bit before slicing and adding to a salad.

Is there any way to improve the texture of this? I like how juicy and tender it was but it didn't really have the texture I would have preferred.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I am going to start some short ribs tonight and either take them all out at 48hrs or leave one bag in for 72hrs. I have looked through several recipes and have some ideas but I was hoping you guys could throw out some recommendations on preparation: pre-sear, seasoning, sauce to cook it in, etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Random Hero posted:

I am going to start some short ribs tonight and either take them all out at 48hrs or leave one bag in for 72hrs. I have looked through several recipes and have some ideas but I was hoping you guys could throw out some recommendations on preparation: pre-sear, seasoning, sauce to cook it in, etc.
Pre-sear optional, responses are mixed

Season with salt, pepper optional (I don't use it)

Beef jus for sauce, or something creamy with some lemon in it.

It's got a lot of flavor so you don't have to do much with it. A little lemon makes the fat taste better but lemon's best added at the end.

If I was really desperate to impress I'd serve it with parmesan gnocchi and leeks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

Finally tried s-v boneless skinless chicken breast. 140* for 2hrs. tried to brown it a bit before slicing and adding to a salad.

Is there any way to improve the texture of this? I like how juicy and tender it was but it didn't really have the texture I would have preferred.

Do it a bit hotter. I think the chicken is better at like 145 or 150, too low and it's got that weird mushy texture.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Take 2 lbs ground beef and some salt + pepper, and form it into 8 burger patties, roughly 1" thick. Bag individually, and puddle at 138*F or so for anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours (I like to get this started after dinner, and then forget about them until just before bed). Stick 'em in an ice bath, and then into the fridge. Congratulations, you have pre-made hamburgers for the next week or so. You can sear them in a pan if you're feeling fancy, or just toss them in the microwave at work.

You still have to sear them if you want them to not suck, this is somehow actually more effort than just making a few burgers from scratch in a pan.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You still have to sear them if you want them to not suck, this is somehow actually more effort than just making a few burgers from scratch in a pan.

Eating grey ground beef is seriously the worst.

Searing/browning is definitely required for a burger, sorry Safety Dance.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

like i get that you mention cooking them in a pan but like

by the time this is seared in a pan it's done already

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

BraveUlysses posted:

Did you chill them before searing? I'd do 139 then chill a bit before searing and see how you like that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Unless you're going for big fatty steakhouse burgers or something, making a smash burger in a pan takes about 90 seconds. I'd be more inclined to break down a couple pounds of ground beef into smaller portions and vac seal raw than bother with sous vide for that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

deimos posted:

Did you chill them before searing? I'd do 139 then chill a bit before searing and see how you like that.

I made them a few days earlier and chilled but I did reheat it in 130* water for a bit before browning. I might try a higher temp as suggested and browning it better.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've looked at some recipes for sous vide chicken wings for tonight. A few of them seem to conflict with the Modernist Cuisine one recommending 140 for 1 hour whereas a few people report that collagen breaks down better at 170 for that time. ANyone have any experience with Chicken Wings in their puddler?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

like i get that you mention cooking them in a pan but like

by the time this is seared in a pan it's done already
Not really, unless you're doing your burgers until they're well done. On a slab of beef like a steak when you give it a sear you've almost certainly taken care of any potential foodborne pathogens (unless it's jaccarded or something). But that's not going to be true of something like ground beef, where any surface contamination is going to get blended throughout the meat.

I mean you might not care about this if you're really confident about your ground beef, if you're doing your own grinding, or something like that.

Food safety aside, if you like a thicker burger you get all the traditional sous vide benefits out of doing burgers in a puddle machine. You do absolutely need to give them a sear afterward, so yeah it's not really a labour-saving thing. It's a pretty good approach to the classic diner-style burger at home though; the whole smash burger is really more of an upscale fast food burger approach---if that's what you're going for, doing it s-v isn't going to get you much because it's a different final product.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Has anybody tried doing anything neat with chocolate? I've seen stuff about tempering it. What about like a chocolate dispersion? Any ideas on temperatures/cooking vessels?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Do not puddle ribeye at 136f for 8 hours, it will be dryish.
130f for 4 hours is the only way.

8h and 136f made the rest of the rib divine though. Better than ribeye at 130f.

I guess the conclusion is that you should only puddle uniform cuts of meat ?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Spatule posted:

Do not puddle ribeye at 136f for 8 hours, it will be dryish.
130f for 4 hours is the only way.

8h and 136f made the rest of the rib divine though. Better than ribeye at 130f.

I guess the conclusion is that you should only puddle uniform cuts of meat ?

No it's the 8 hours where you hosed up, I feel 2-4h at 135 would probably be your best bet for your taste.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

deimos posted:

No it's the 8 hours where you hosed up, I feel 2-4h at 135 would probably be your best bet for your taste.

That is my usual approach, but then the rest of the rib is not as amazing as it was yesterday, it really needs the longer timefor the fat to render.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I did 72hr boneless short ribs @ 135F, then trimmed and deep fried for 30s... Came out incredible. I will definitely do this recipe again but I want to try it at 48hrs to see the difference. I served these with sous vide carrots, sous vide asparagus, mashed potatoes and a red wine reduction sauce.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It looks like you're eating off a satin blanket.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's just a plate with a matte finish.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Random Hero posted:

I did 72hr boneless short ribs @ 135F, then trimmed and deep fried for 30s... Came out incredible. I will definitely do this recipe again but I want to try it at 48hrs to see the difference.

Check out the chefsteps video about short rib time and temperature for some ideas:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the closest alternative cut for short ribs in the UK?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MeKeV posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the closest alternative cut for short ribs in the UK?
apparently the short rib cut is referred to as "Jacob's ladder" in the UK.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
I get short ribs in London from Turner and George in Angel. Never seen them in a supermarket.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Did a brisket yesterday and it turned out very nice. 177F for ~8 hrs then I finished it with a torch and a bit of browning in the broiler. I put about 2-3 times the amount of dry rub that I would normally put on if I were smoking and it picked up the seasoning nicely. The last few that I have done I didn't put enough seasoning one and they were a bit bland. Since I didn't smoke it at all it obviously didn't taste smoked so not a typical bar-b-qued brisket but the family raved about it.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

dotster posted:

Did a brisket yesterday and it turned out very nice. 177F for ~8 hrs then I finished it with a torch and a bit of browning in the broiler. I put about 2-3 times the amount of dry rub that I would normally put on if I were smoking and it picked up the seasoning nicely. The last few that I have done I didn't put enough seasoning one and they were a bit bland. Since I didn't smoke it at all it obviously didn't taste smoked so not a typical bar-b-qued brisket but the family raved about it.

How would you describe the texture?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Random Hero posted:

How would you describe the texture?

Just like a good smoked brisket, the meat was tender and the fat was fully gelled, it just didnt have the smoke.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What's the opinion on liquid smoke?

EDIT: Also dipped into my batch of sous vide poached eggs for a midnight snack:

Decided to abstain from the hollandaise though because I don't care for it much.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ShadowCatboy posted:

What's the opinion on liquid smoke?

EDIT: Also dipped into my batch of sous vide poached eggs for a midnight snack:

Decided to abstain from the hollandaise though because I don't care for it much.

When you poach eggs how long can you keep them for, assuming ice bath and then right into the fridge?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think you need to worry about poached eggs the same way you need to concern yourself about meat. The bacteria pretty much all reside outside on the shell, and immersing the eggs in a 142*F water bath for an hour is sufficient to pasteurize it pretty effectively. Mine are just a few days old and still in the shell, so I just crack one open and dump it in a boiling water vortex when I need one. I suppose they can keep a few days longer than normal eggs.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

I don't think you need to worry about poached eggs the same way you need to concern yourself about meat. The bacteria pretty much all reside outside on the shell, and immersing the eggs in a 142*F water bath for an hour is sufficient to pasteurize it pretty effectively. Mine are just a few days old and still in the shell, so I just crack one open and dump it in a boiling water vortex when I need one. I suppose they can keep a few days longer than normal eggs.

Is the yolk warm when you fish them out?

That's a drat good idea if it is.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, but upon poaching I turned off the heat, then used a digital thermometer and lowered the pot's water to about 144*F. I let the egg sit in there for 10 minutes or so while I prepped all the other ingredients. By that stage the yolk's heated through sufficiently without cooking any further.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 16, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

No, but upon poaching I turned off the heat, then used a digital thermometer and lowered the pot's water to about 144*F. I let the egg sit in there for 10 minutes or so while I prepped all the other ingredients. By that stage the yolk's heated through sufficiently without cooking any further.
I'd probably experiment with the reverse - put the egg in the pot cold and leave it in until it's near-boiling (assuming a small pot and a strong flame/induction).

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why? By the time it gets to boiling the egg yolk would've likely cooked through quite a bit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

Why? By the time it gets to boiling the egg yolk would've likely cooked through quite a bit.
Depends on how long it takes. If it's like a four minute boil probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Tried tossing burgers in the puddle machine- mostly because they were on manager special at the grocery store.

Not a well composed photo, but I feel like this is the best sear vs. internal doneness contrast I've gotten since I got my Anova. It really is so important to get your pan & oil crazy hot before dropping in whatever you've pulled out (and dried thoroughly) from the bath.