Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The visual lag when playing an offline playlist is brutal for when I'm working out. The new app has also hosed up the ability to control pause / play / skip from the iOS control panel.

Here's an example from last night.

For almost 30 seconds, this is what the in-app display showed:

Here is what the iOS control panel displayed:

Here is the song that was actually playing that entire time:

http://youtu.be/psB0cidB5bg

As you can tell, that isn't either of those songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I use bluetooth in my car and it will display the current artist/track on my car's stereo display. In the old spotify app, it was always in sync. Today, it worked for the first song, then like 10 songs later it was still showing the first one (not offline playlist, just regular streaming)

:ughh:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

The visual lag when playing an offline playlist is brutal for when I'm working out. The new app has also hosed up the ability to control pause / play / skip from the iOS control panel.

Here's an example from last night.

For almost 30 seconds, this is what the in-app display showed:

Here is what the iOS control panel displayed:

Here is the song that was actually playing that entire time:

http://youtu.be/psB0cidB5bg

As you can tell, that isn't either of those songs.

Yeah this is what I meant by the local files being all messed up. I haven't tried it in offline.

Even for regular streaming it's laggy as hell. And if you try to skip forward while it's laggy it'll just crash.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I'm pretty happy now that I have the Collections/Your Music feature after signing up for the trial on the Spotify Forums. It's being rolled out to everyone in the next few weeks and will not require an update to the app, by the way.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

I just got the collections update and oh my god it is absolute garbage. The idea is ambitious, and at first glance it works as intended — because you can just ctrl + a/drag and drop the music into Your Music and seemingly move along with your day — but for some reason, Your Music doesn't natively support offline mode (so in order to get said songs in offline mode, you have to add them to an offline playlist anyway), and you can't add local files to it.
So yeah, it's cool enough idea and all but the only thing I gain from this is an additional step required to add things to my main starred playlist. :psyduck:

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Yeah I'm really missing a "make Your Music available offline" mode so I can just sync all of this in one go.
It's much nicer to browse through all my music now - haven't tried adding local files yet - surely they'll fix that.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
It is so frustrating that I haven't received the OS X update yet...

EDIT: :tinfoil: sweet, got it five minutes after I posted this.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 8, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

DLTN posted:

I just got the collections update

You mean, without the new black client? How did you do that?

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Rexides posted:

You mean, without the new black client? How did you do that?

Oh, no, I got the black client along with it. Sorry for any confusion. I just got a message at the top telling me to restart Spotify to apply the update and shazam.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a quick way to add stuff to "your music?" Because I'll be damned if I'm going through starred songs to add albums manually.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, there is a "Save" button on the album page (and a save option when you right click on an album's name anywhere), what do you mean "quick"? Like, automatically save the album of every song you have starred? You are out of luck there.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Like, automatically save the album of every song you have starred? You are out of luck there.

Yeah. :smithicide:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
What does this Your Music thing do that starring everything didn't do before?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spotify guy says: "Yep, Your Music will contain all of your beloved playlists but start out empty otherwise. We did some testing and actually found that users preferred starting from scratch. Let me know if you have any other questions."

What the gently caress. :psyboom:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's like starring, but you can also "star" albums or artists.

By the way, I just went through my starred list adding all songs to My Music, and the albums were also added automatically. Otherwise if you still want to save each album separately, then you probably just sort that list by albums and right click through it (but I think left clicking through all the songs is easier IMO)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

inSTAALed posted:

What does this Your Music thing do that starring everything didn't do before?

Saves albums and artists in a nice sorted list, instead of having to search through the whole mess of starred songs. We had this argument a few pages back.

The Your Music thing is mostly fine. The only improvement that jumps out at me is I'd like album sorting under artist view.

Edit: Also if I remember correctly you're on mostly desktop/android while I use Spotify exclusively on iOS. Functionality might be different.

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 8, 2014

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there a quick way to add stuff to "your music?" Because I'll be damned if I'm going through starred songs to add albums manually.

ctrl + a and then just drag and drop into Your Music

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DLTN posted:

ctrl + a and then just drag and drop into Your Music

Doesn't seem to populate "albums" and "artists" which just stay blank.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anyone else use the Hype Machine app and have an issue where starring a track causes the entire app interface to disappear?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Weird. I have the Save button, but nothing new in the sidebar, and none of the existing pages look different. This is with the black interface.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
After a few days with the new iPhone app it is about as unusable as I suspected. And i havent gotten the desktop upgrade yet. Spotify is really loving up right now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It seems like they just arbitrarily replaced starring songs with what amounts to the same thing with the Songs playlist. It's great that you can add stuff to it from the discover menu now and all, that was really stupid that you couldn't before, but why replace starring songs with literally the exact same thing? :psyduck: Mostly it's just annoying because that was my big unsorted playlist and now I'll have two unless I just ignore the slightly more convenient option. I don't get this change.

edit: At least now when you leave the Discover page it doesn't reload every time you come back.

edit 2: nevermind, yes it does if you aren't leaving your own playlists :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there no easy way to convert your starred playlist to a Saved playlist?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean the Songs playlist that replaces Starred (Starred is now just a regular playlist, it doesn't go away if that's what you mean)? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see a way to add a playlist to another without going in and adding each song one by one. Which is less than ideal if you have several thousand songs in that playlist like I do. :sigh:

edit: I feel like I'm making this out to be a huge deal, but it's not. It's just a minor inconvenience and doesn't make much sense.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 11, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

What exactly is the appeal of this Your Music/Collections thing? What makes it different than folders+playlists?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

What exactly is the appeal of this Your Music/Collections thing? What makes it different than folders+playlists?

Looks fancy :sparkles:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

It's easier to scroll through some pictures of albums than to scroll through a huge text list.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So my partner just put it simply for me "Spotify just wants your music to look like it would in iTunes or something"

She's also annoyed that they removed the stars.

gg spotify :allears:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's easier to scroll through some pictures of albums than to scroll through a huge text list.

I guess that makes sense. I'm just annoyed that I can't quickly move my playlists to the Your Music thing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

We had that with Album View till they removed it. Go figure. :iiam:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

So my partner just put it simply for me "Spotify just wants your music to look like it would in iTunes or something"

She's also annoyed that they removed the stars.

gg spotify :allears:

Yeah I don't get why they took starring out. I used my starred list mostly for the car where I want a string of "stuff I like" for forever.

I mean you can still add thing to the playlist, but it's just not the same.

PaganGoatPants posted:

We had that with Album View till they removed it. Go figure. :iiam:

Ah the old days!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I don't get why they took starring out. I used my starred list mostly for the car where I want a string of "stuff I like" for forever.

I mean you can still add thing to the playlist, but it's just not the same.

That's what's so weird, the Songs playlist is functionally identical to the way starring stuff used to work. Why replace what was there with something functionally identical? :iiam: Hell, it's actually a little worse since it was easier to tell when you had a song starred than what's there now.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 11, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I wait for the day when Spotify just becomes an API that foobar2000 can use.

That will never happen.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to change the default font of the playlist view?

I follow a playlist that is about 4000 songs long. The program only shows 22 track names on a page, making searching quite hard.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
So wait there is no more starring? But I still have my starred playlist at least.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

So wait there is no more starring? But I still have my starred playlist at least.

You can still star stuff (I think), you just have to go throught he menus. It's a playlist. :shrug:

I'm sure it'll be gone soon enough.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Or you can use the new "save" option instead. It saves songs in your "songs" list under "Your Music". It's either a "save" option, or a plus sign in some views.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
So I converted all my "Artist" playlists to "Your Music" artists, or whatever.

Except I'm missing the option to make certain artists / albums / my entire collection available offline on my iPhone like I could with playlists.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is anyone else finding the updated iPhone app to be ridiculously unresponsive? Control button presses (particularly track skipping) often don't register for 15-20 seconds?

I'm still on a 4S but I don't think a music app should be so bloated it can't run on that phone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

peanut- posted:

Is anyone else finding the updated iPhone app to be ridiculously unresponsive? Control button presses (particularly track skipping) often don't register for 15-20 seconds?

I'm still on a 4S but I don't think a music app should be so bloated it can't run on that phone.

Yeah it's laggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yep the new iOS is a train-wreck all around on my iphone 5.

• Locked thread