Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
You're more or less right about Inquisition, however I need to point out that they're two of the coolest dudes ever. Seriously, their new album was just...wow.

Also, for all my southern friends, my friends booked this sick as hell Southern Darkness Fest.
http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2014/04/1st-annual-southern-darkness-festival.html

Check it out, because that poo poo is rad and I am going to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

thepitgoddess posted:

You're more or less right about Inquisition, however I need to point out that they're two of the coolest dudes ever. Seriously, their new album was just...wow.

Also, for all my southern friends, my friends booked this sick as hell Southern Darkness Fest.
http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2014/04/1st-annual-southern-darkness-festival.html

Check it out, because that poo poo is rad and I am going to be there.

Seconding this. I posted about this in the stoner metal thread, but the lineup is killer. Here's what they've got so far:

Pelican
All Pigs Must Die
Maruta
Centuries
Sannhet
Mouth of the Architect
Black Tusk
Jungbluth
Yautja
Order of the Owl
A Storm of Light
Phobia
Strong Intention
Zoroaster
Everything Went Black
Weekend Nachos
Lord Mantis
Coke Bust
ASG
Junius
Set and Setting
Traitor Crucifix
Cosm

Also, Bongripper just got added today.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Just noticed the Metal Alliance Tour is at House of Blues in Dallas this Friday. Behemoth, GoatWhore and 1349? Yes please. I'm not familiar with the other 2 acts, but going by the promo photos, Inquisition is grimdark frounyface early-Immortal worship, and Black Crown Initiate will be beardariffic stoner rock. I'm at work and they block streaming radio type stuff, how close am I?

As noted above you're right about Inquisition and I'd also like to add that they're completely amazing. I've never seen two dudes make so much sound.

Black crown initiate is opethy stuff complete with that part where all the instruments cut out except some plinky clean electric guitar and they feed Mikael's the dude's vocals through that "telephone" effect and then WHAMMO riff and blast city with growly vocals.

e: more mid-period Immortal, really

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Takes No Damage posted:

Just noticed the Metal Alliance Tour is at House of Blues in Dallas this Friday. Behemoth, GoatWhore and 1349? Yes please. I'm not familiar with the other 2 acts, but going by the promo photos, Inquisition is grimdark frounyface early-Immortal worship, and Black Crown Initiate will be beardariffic stoner rock. I'm at work and they block streaming radio type stuff, how close am I?

I'm going to see this tour next week mainly for Inquisition, but I'm staying for Goatwhore and Behemoth because A) Goatwhore never puts on a bad show. B) Behemoth's new album kicks all kinds of rear end (SATAN > CANCER).

I know nothing of Black Crown Initiate.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
If you ever have a chance to see Inquisition, do it. Their live shows are ritualistic.
Also they have some of the best riffs of any black metal band.

I might stick around for Behemoth, too. But Inquisition are, like, essential.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Completely random question. Is it ever disputed that Possessed's Seven Churches was the absolute first true death metal album?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, thanks for the replies. I like to poke fun at the :black101: bands, but all the best ones poke fun at themselves too so I figure I'm in the clear there. Immortal's Heart of Winter is one of my favorite 90s BM albums so if Inquisition is anything remotely similar to that I'm now looking forward to them as well. This gonna be a good show :rock:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anathema is another one of those bands - amazing first album then it all goes to gently caress.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm going to see this tour next week mainly for Inquisition, but I'm staying for Goatwhore and Behemoth because A) Goatwhore never puts on a bad show. B) Behemoth's new album kicks all kinds of rear end (SATAN > CANCER).

I know nothing of Black Crown Initiate.

Behemoth also never puts on a bad show and BLOW YOUR TRUMPETS, GA-BRI-ELLLLLLL :black101:

Nergal is the loving man, his stage presence is un-loving-believable.

I'm going to the one in Worcester, MA, which (as it is piggybacking on the New England Metal & Hardcore Festival*) also includes Born Low, Carnifex, Carnivora, Colin of Arabia, Cruel Hand, Erra, Fire and Ice, Fit For An Autopsy, I Declare War, Lifeless, Malfunction, Reflections, Slapshot, Suburban Scum, The Acacia Strain, The Mongoloids, Thy Art Is Murder, Warhound, Whitechapel, and Within the Ruins.

Some of those I've never heard of and a couple I almost certainly won't give a gently caress about, but as long as I get to see Inquisition, Goatwhore, 1349, and Behemoth I will be a happy man.

* A lot of times one day of the festival has a major tour riding on it. Last year it was Paganfest USA and I met Heri Joensen from Týr in the lobby and most of Ensiferum in line for the men's room.

e: YouTubed some of them. Fit For An Autopsy is pretty cool atmospheric blackened death, Thy Art Is Murder is chugga chugga deathcore with some seriously brutal vocals, The Mongoloids are straight-edge hardcore...

Show's got something for everyone, it looks like.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 10, 2014

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vintersorg posted:

Anathema is another one of those bands - amazing first album then it all goes to gently caress.

A man who does not like Judgement.

A shameful man.

(I liked their last album and am hype as a kite for the next one I have no shame)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Holy poo poo, Inquisition is a 2-person gig? That just made them that much more awesome. My only regret about the Metal Alliance show is that they're playing in Philadelphia on the same day as Sabaton (at a different venue), damnit don't make me choose

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

caiman posted:

Completely random question. Is it ever disputed that Possessed's Seven Churches was the absolute first true death metal album?

That or the Mantas demos. Also Repulsion and Death Strike's demos. Sepultura's first ep came out just a few months after Seven Churches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBeVHaxROQk

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I asked this over in the "Where should I start with x?" thread but have yet to get a response so I figured I'd ask here. Where should I start with The Meads of Asphodel? I see on Metal-Archives they're compared pretty favorably with Sigh (who I love) so I'd like to check them out, but they've got a bunch of albums and all of them seem to be held equally in high regard.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Psycho Mantits posted:

I asked this over in the "Where should I start with x?" thread but have yet to get a response so I figured I'd ask here. Where should I start with The Meads of Asphodel? I see on Metal-Archives they're compared pretty favorably with Sigh (who I love) so I'd like to check them out, but they've got a bunch of albums and all of them seem to be held equally in high regard.

I've only heard The Murder of Jesus the Jew and while I think it tries to do a bit too much, it mostly succeeds. Since you love Sigh you'll recognize their vocalist immediately, he had a big guest role in In Somniphobia.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Olibu posted:

I've only heard The Murder of Jesus the Jew and while I think it tries to do a bit too much, it mostly succeeds. Since you love Sigh you'll recognize their vocalist immediately, he had a big guest role in In Somniphobia.

Yeah, I saw that Metatron had a couple of guest spots on Somniphobia, and Mirai and Mikannibal apparently appear once or twice on Murder of..., so that should be interesting. Thanks for giving me some direction.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

e: YouTubed some of them. Fit For An Autopsy is pretty cool atmospheric blackened death

:confused: they sound like cookie cutter deathcore to me

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Holy poo poo, Inquisition is a 2-person gig? That just made them that much more awesome. My only regret about the Metal Alliance show is that they're playing in Philadelphia on the same day as Sabaton (at a different venue), damnit don't make me choose

How is this even a question?? Inquisition, obviously.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Dagon and Incubus are not mortal men as we know it, they are pagan astrobiologists traveling the cosmos to spread their word of Satan.

...if that makes your decision any easier.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

m-o-o-n posted:

:confused: they sound like cookie cutter deathcore to me

I dunno maybe I mixed up the names? :shobon:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Man, I really didn't think that tours would avoid Nashville as much as they do. Music city my rear end.

Bring the metal to Nashville.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Edguy made a music video for their single Love Tyger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1zAkGE5HE

I tried frowning after watching that, but I... I can't. It's impossible. I love these guys so much. :allears:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone should visit In Flames' website right now for a laugh.

Clicky

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why would anyone want leaked info about In Flames in 2014?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kumbamontu posted:

Everyone should visit In Flames' website right now for a laugh.

Clicky

Leet hacker couldn't even put a working hit counter on the website

who's the noob now

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It was working earlier

It probably hit user #65536 and overflowed lmao

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nordick posted:

Edguy made a music video for their single Love Tyger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1zAkGE5HE

I tried frowning after watching that, but I... I can't. It's impossible. I love these guys so much. :allears:

I came to the conclusion about five or six years ago that if you hate Edguy, you hate fun.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Man, I really didn't think that tours would avoid Nashville as much as they do. Music city my rear end.

Bring the metal to Nashville.

I would go to so many shows. Nashville sucks so bad for metal.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
New Satan's Satyrs on pre-order right now.
http://trashkingproductions.myshopify.com/ - US
http://www.bad-omen-records.com/releases/die-screaming/ - UK/EU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm 3 tracks into listening to Steel Panther's new album, All You Can Eat.. I love these guys, they don't give a gently caress.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

yes! this band has TRACKS. definitely gonna preorder this.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Cross-postin' from the bm thread:

quote:

Century Media has announced the ultimate box set (anthology) of ULVER. This release will present the formative (metal) years of Ulver, and its title is Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-1997.

It will contain the albums Bergtatt (1994), Kveldssanger (1995) and Nattens Madrigal (1996), collectively known as The Trilogie – Three Journeyes Through The Norwegian Netherworlde (released under this title as a 1000 limited edition triple picture vinyl box set in 1997).

Additional contents will be the band’s rudimentary but legendary demo tape Vargnatt (1993) plus the rare compilation track ‘Synen’ (Cthulhu Records 1997) as well as a recently unearthed 4-track rehearsal recording of tracks from Nattens Madrigal, which have been a well-kept secret until this very day.

With the exception of Nattens Madrigal, which is still the ferocious sounding black beast it always was, but now has a slightly more compassionate re-mastering courtesy of Tom Kvalsvoll at Strype Audio, Oslo, all the material has been carefully and considerably re-mastered to analog tape by Jaime Gomes Arellano in Orgone Studios, London and consulted by Ulver’s mastermind Kristoffer Rygg.

Mark Pilkington, of Strange Attractor Press UK, will be supplying liner notes offering a hermetic look into the early history and histrionics of Ulver, whilst Jon `Metalion` Kristiansen, author and publisher of Slayer Mag and founder of Head Not Found Records (where Bergtatt and Kveldssanger were originally released), will write his personal reminiscence about his relations with this massively influential band.

Trolsk Sortmetall 1993–1997 will be released as a brazen 5-CD box set with a canvas-bound slipcase and 100+ page booklet as well as a 4LP box (plus cassette). The entire layout will be done by Metastazis, Paris, who has previously worked with Ulver and has for this design been given access to lots of never before seen archival material.

With a total playing time of nearly three hours, Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-1997 is bound to become an essential epitome documenting the nascent days of these Norwegian (black) metal luminaries.

Important note from Century Media: “As many of you might have noticed, the albums Bergtatt and Kveldssanger have recently been bootlegged on vinyl, allegedly by two European labels (one from Belgium, one from the Netherlands). Those bootlegs both look and sound sub par. We highly advise you not to spend a single penny on any of those rip-off releases. If you are one of those who have been waiting patiently for these classic albums to finally get released on high quality vinyl, please wait for a few more months and get the definitive official editions instead, fully supported by the band. We guarantee you good things come to those who wait!”

Complete details to follow.

e: More crosspostin'

Guess this is the year of the re-issue.

CD only.
CD & ugly T.

e2: loving hell...ok Dissection vinyl re-issues.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 11, 2014

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
At least the alternative mix of Emperor will be cool. Remasters are rarely ever worth it, unless the mastering in the first place was just that loving bad, and there's usually very little chance a modern master won't be loud as gently caress.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Ulver stuff

All I've really heard of these guys is the collaboration they did Sunn O))) from earlier this year which I really dug. Anything in particular to check out by them?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

All I've really heard of these guys is the collaboration they did Sunn O))) from earlier this year which I really dug. Anything in particular to check out by them?

Nattens Madrigal.

e: Or any of them, really, but Nattens Madrigal is the poo poo.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 11, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Man I wish I had a record player for this.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Ulver started off into ridiculous artsy territory (which isn't a bad thing, mind you) around the time they did an album whose lyrics were the entirety of William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

Most of the stuff from that time period on is pretty hard to classify but it's heavily electronic. Heard good things about Blood Inside, Shadows of the Sun, and Messe I.X-VI.X, though.

Bergtatt closely resembles bands like Empyrium and Agalloch, Kveldssanger is a folk album, and Vargnatt and Nattens Madrigal are closer to traditional black metal.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Nattens Madrigal is probably the worst (MOST TRVE KVLT) recording I've ever heard, which sucks because the music is awesome. If you can't deal with it definitely check out Bergtatt. I've been trying to accept Nattens Madrigal as it is for so many years now but it's there's too much loving static.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gaggins posted:

Nattens Madrigal is probably the worst (MOST TRVE KVLT) recording I've ever heard, which sucks because the music is awesome. If you can't deal with it definitely check out Bergtatt. I've been trying to accept Nattens Madrigal as it is for so many years now but it's there's too much loving static.
I always thought it was hilariously self-aware and very Garm, because every time you get acoustic guitars kicking in, like at the 1:02 mark in "Hymne I - Wolf and Fear", they're perfectly recorded and perfectly mastered.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ulver want(ed) to be Coil. It was never going to happen, and it still won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gaggins posted:

You've got it backwards, it should be good because of the production, but it's totally unmemorable crap like everything else Ulver have done.