Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I thought last week's episode was really awful and a contender for worst episode of the series, but this week was... magical?

The first half was a little light on laughs and the story meandered a bit but once they got to the sale reveal everything came together with jokes that landed really hard and an interesting plot with characters in brave new states and even some sentimentality.

It felt like a season one episode in a lot of ways... well really like season one episode you're watching after the comedown from an acid trip where everything feels sort of off but in this good, compelling way.

If I had to wrote a thousand words about this episode, that word would be tomato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Strange how in a show with puppet episodes, westerns, movie homages, a deep seated character study, claymation, and action homages the overall most bizarre episode is the one about people fearing the mundane

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked it, but I thought it deserved more time. I don't think we'll ever get a "super-sized" episode of Community :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Overall I don't even know if I like this episode but Christ was it interesting

The whole episode is essentially about everyone realizing they're characters in a sitcoms and how this is their own personal hell. We as the viewing audience want stuff to happen and to be entertained but what were not realize is is we are tacitly condemning these characters to an endlessly repeating cycle where nothing ever changes and they are condemned to a fate of never experiencing stability in their lives. Because if they had that stability then it's not a show because nothing would happen.

So when you think about we as the audience are punishing them by being fans because they only seek the embrace of normality which they by definition cannot receive. Because it's a tv show. And the way they react to this cycle- jeff secretly happy, Britta whistful but desperately seeking fulfillment, abed and Annie crawling into the safety of immaturity as defense against the happy stasis they are in- reveals how desperately the group needs the mundane, which they can never ever receive until the show ends.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Give me some more
Time in a dream
Give me the hope
To run out of steam
Somebody said
It could be here
We could be roped up tied up
Dead in a year
I can't count the reasons I should stay
One by one they all just fade away

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
An article on NBCSports.com caught my eye. It had nothing to do with die rolls or coin flips.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jim Rash killed it this week. Between his frantic suicide attempt, his habit of getting undressed and crying, and the "BAD DEAN" gag, this was a great episode for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good episode.

So do they have Subway's blessing for this poo poo? Does someone at Subway think this is a good idea?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I laughed like a maniac when Abed tricked the camera into going to the teacher's lounge and ran away while it was distracted.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think I didn't like this one. Nice to see I'm not the only one who isn't too sure what to make of it. A part of me wonders if the episode is less an allegory for Dan Harmon running out of steam and maybe more an allegory for season 4? I don't even know.

I was fine with Jeff and Britta Ross-and-Rachelling again, but the whole marriage thing was really forced and terrible. Then again, does it make sense given Jeff's last episode? Hrmm.

All I know is the Abed parts were terrible.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good episode.

So do they have Subway's blessing for this poo poo? Does someone at Subway think this is a good idea?

I imagine this is just as much a boon to them as characters on Chuck involving Subway sandwiches in hostage negotiations and spending a full half minute of screen time describing exactly what is on their sub.

Edit: I think it was probably deliberate that after Jeff talks with Abed, you could cut everything he did until he walked into the Dean's office and it would work fine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Olibu posted:

I imagine this is just as much a boon to them as characters on Chuck involving Subway sandwiches in hostage negotiations and spending a full half minute of screen time describing exactly what is on their sub.

Edit: I think it was probably deliberate that after Jeff talks with Abed, you could cut everything he did until he walked into the Dean's office and it would work fine.

There's the whole "Any press is good press" theory. But drat, the characters straight-up said that most of the wastoids at Greendale end up working at Subway.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The behind-the-scenes video has a few gems in it this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNm4plwapwA

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

VagueRant posted:

I was fine with Jeff and Britta Ross-and-Rachelling again, but the whole marriage thing was really forced and terrible.

:thejoke:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

http://youtu.be/GBgI6FlTzqE

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Mister Fister posted:

Good job, just out of curiosity, who do you work for? I assume Dan Harmon hired another company to do the animation?

I work for my own company. Animation studios contract work to me, in this case SBI Media/Starburns Industries. My current main client is Fox ADHD. When I was with Titmouse they were doing the Community animated stuff, like the 8-bit episode.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah that was the first thing I thought of, I'm glad they threw the swerve in before that scene got awful.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So yeah. This was loving meta as hell.

Greendale is Community. The suits just want to make money. They assess the show and see that yes, there is potential here. How to mine it? Change it into a bland copy and get rid of the people who actually made the thing work.

How will the show recover? By finding its elusive, crazy founder.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This is way worse than amything in season 4.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

No Season 4 had that awful matrix terminator timeline rubbish.

This was kind of all over the place but not nearly as try hard as that garbage.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it was a thing of beauty. But I am a Dan Harmon fanboy. Take that into account.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Am I the only one that thinks Jeff is still in a coma?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Tepid episode, but the insurance adjuster was, without a doubt, the best minor character since Professor Professorson.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good episode.

Harmon thanked Subway on twitter for all the sponsorship money

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Wow, that line about marrying Britta in 5 years is kind of ridiculous.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Olibu posted:

Wow, that line about marrying Britta in 5 years is kind of ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as Britta Perry, owner of used iPod Nano, 2014 from the schmitty episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Community got a 0.8. It's not looking good.

Neilson ratings are a joke.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Community got a 0.8. It's not looking good.

Neilson ratings are a joke.

Yeah, but it would be disingenuous to say that Community is a really popular show. Out of every single person I know, I'm the only person still watching it. Most people dropped out sometime during season 3 as far as I can tell.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Oh, it's certainly not a popular show. The problem is that there are only 5 or 6 popular shows on broadcast television now. Those tentpoles are holding up the entire industry.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Funhilde posted:

Any idea who the main Subway guy was? His voice sounded very familiar.

Guy from the Snapple commercials?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I love that's there's the tiniest blip of a heartbeat on the chalkboard, really pointing out that the show is on life support right now but that there is hope for the future, however small.

Christ, this episode was the most meta the show has ever been, and that's saying a lot.

And gently caress Jared, though it was a perfect cameo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EKG's don't dip down that far!!
:goonsay:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

And since it may be the last chance to sexualize her...

Crazy Annie is the best Annie.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 11, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

So yeah. This was loving meta as hell.

Greendale is Community. The suits just want to make money. They assess the show and see that yes, there is potential here. How to mine it? Change it into a bland copy and get rid of the people who actually made the thing work.

How will the show recover? By finding its elusive, crazy founder.

I really hope this isn't what the episode is actually about because that's the least humble, douchiest thing Harmon could have possibly done.

Otherwise, I didn't really care for the episode anyway. A handful of decent laughs, but mostly it felt like the worst parts of season 3 crossed with the tepid execution of season 4. There just weren't that many good jokes, and although I appreciated the Abed plot on a conceptual level I didn't find it fun to watch. Plus if the Save Greendale thing was going to be so integral to the season's endgame they shouldn't have ignored it for such long periods. Hopefully it'll seem better next week. We should get some Chris Elliot either way, which is great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really think that works as a metaphor anyway. It's much better as a commentary on the nature of season finales and the classic sitcom purgatory where the characters are trapped by our constant desire for new stories. Making it about Season 4 is a bit of a stretch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it started with promise but became laboured, and most of the jokes were flat as hell after a certain point. "If I come over there, there'll be two sounds: me punching you twice" struck me as a particularly bad one. It's a good premise but I don't feel like they delivered at all.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

ashpanash posted:

Oh, it's certainly not a popular show. The problem is that there are only 5 or 6 popular shows on broadcast television now. Those tentpoles are holding up the entire industry.

NEW GOLDEN AGE OF TV right here!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Gotta be honest - I thought this episode was mostly a dud The jokes fell flat, and Abed's "there is no story" plot I actually found was something I would have expected from season four. It's such an easy thing to do with the character and was executed so poorly.

That said, I actually love that it all came back to Jeff and Britta. Here's hoping their third marriage actually sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
It started out slow and Abed's story did nothing for me, but in the end I really liked this episode. I enjoyed how it covered the show's history, contrasting season 1 with season 3/4. And it was a great way to deal with the prospect of cancellation. Even if the first half was kind of weak, this is still one of the best meta episodes for me. And I can't believe it's taken them so long to bring back crazy Annie. All in all, it wasn't one of the funniest episodes, but a great beginning of the end if it comes to that.

• Locked thread