Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Yeah no sorry if E-Sports is not for you but it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
My goodness, the contagion is spreading. :ohdear:

Maybe one day sPvP will get snowball brawl, aspect arena and dragon arena activities all year round and allow activities to contribute towards rank. It could very well qualify as good when that happens!

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
Friend of All Children
Don't get me wrong, there's gently caress-all rewards, the map and gamemode selection is lackluster (Don't get me started about TDM either.) but overall it's a fun gameplay requiring some coordination. Obviously I guess the amount of fun you can wrangle out of this depends who you are playing with but so far all my sPvPs experience with SFD has been a blast.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are people that roll around in human feces and say its great, that doesn't mean they're right.

Its proven fact, rolling around in poo poo and GW2 PvP are the same thing. Only difference is the smell.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Alteisen posted:

There are people that roll around in human feces and say its great, that doesn't mean they're right.

Its proven fact, rolling around in poo poo and GW2 PvP are the same thing. Only difference is the smell.

I don't know anyone who rolls around in their own filth, but if you enjoy that, good for you.

It's hard to love esports until you try esports, and then you'll never do anything else.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Alteisen posted:

Its proven fact, rolling around in poo poo and GW2 PvE are the same thing. Only difference is the smell.

Correct.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dreggon posted:

It's hard to love esports until you try esports, and then you'll never do anything else.

:objection:

I am living proof that this statement is false.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Alteisen posted:

:objection:

I am living proof that this statement is false.

You refused to get on mumble and wandered around headless while we uselessly tried to help you out via voice.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Yeah I'm also not a fan of sPvP, it being barebones as can be and only having conquest as a gamemode definitely doesn't help.

Turncoat Mommy posted:

You refused to get on mumble and wandered around headless while we uselessly tried to help you out via voice.

Maybe because she simply didn't care about it at all? Or knows from previous experience in games that it won't interest her at all? Pvp and pve attract different people and it's rare, going by statistics of which game-mode is far more popular in other games, that people have equal interest or get equal enjoyment out of both.

Batham fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 11, 2014

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Her complaints have always been organizational, every time she complained about her experience it was because she thought the other team was a death squad(they weren't) and better communication would have fixed that. I understand that PvP or PvE isn't for everyone and different tastes and what not but that has never been her issue.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I played about 100 games of Esports at release since I had friends into it. Loved it, but it's only recently that I found interest in picking it back up (buddies got back into it) and goddamn I missed it. Thanks whoever posted that meditation Guardian build a while back because it's been doing me very well.

There's a satisfaction I get from beating people in 1v1 fights that I just don't get from WvW.

Esports bestsports *weeze*.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I played 2 games of eSports after 1200 hours of PvE.

esports are bad and not fun.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
esports mode seems interesting then you realize that if you play anything that isn't a hambow / condi warrior, thief, decap engi, or some kind of condi spamming class that you're wasting your time.

I like shatter mesmer and s/d ele but the lovely payoff for the extremely high risk and skill requirement in both makes them pretty worthless. I can reflect and dodge every 15s impale a warrior throws, keep vuln stacks on them, and keep as much dps as possible and if I'm lucky I may down their retarded settler's build in one minute, whereas they can just sit and faceroll the keyboard and probably come out ahead 90% of the time.

If the builds with the most reward were ones with the highest amount of skill required it would be interesting. Instead it's a bunch of crap where the best passive build wins. I may end up getting some laughs after patch playing a full bunker staff ele though, we'll see.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Delacroix posted:

Maybe one day sPvP will get snowball brawl, aspect arena and dragon arena activities all year round and allow activities to contribute towards rank. It could very well qualify as good when that happens!
They actually did have activities give PVP rewards for a while, and I honestly have no idea why it stopped.

If activities are going to use PVP architecture (and they do), they should be counted as PVP wholesale :colbert:. Snowball Arena, Aspect Arena, Crab Toss, Keg Brawl, and even Sanctum Sprint are all much better for PVP than actual PVP ever was.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Grinding solo-queue with a 50% win-rate is about on par with farming a legendary solely with CoF P1 in terms of eyeball-plucking banality.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

esports mode seems interesting then you realize that if you play anything that isn't a hambow / condi warrior, thief, decap engi, or some kind of condi spamming class that you're wasting your time.

I like shatter mesmer and s/d ele but the lovely payoff for the extremely high risk and skill requirement in both makes them pretty worthless. I can reflect and dodge every 15s impale a warrior throws, keep vuln stacks on them, and keep as much dps as possible and if I'm lucky I may down their retarded settler's build in one minute, whereas they can just sit and faceroll the keyboard and probably come out ahead 90% of the time.

If the builds with the most reward were ones with the highest amount of skill required it would be interesting. Instead it's a bunch of crap where the best passive build wins. I may end up getting some laughs after patch playing a full bunker staff ele though, we'll see.

Shatter mesmers are pretty hardcore in a good player's hands. s/d ele has kind of fallen out in favor of s/f though. Warriors are incredibly stupid right now and there's no one besides anet devs who think otherwise but you can run a solid team and have none of those nontime waster builds. Spvp is the best despite its issues, not because of it.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 11, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

U.T. Raptor posted:

They actually did have activities give PVP rewards for a while, and I honestly have no idea why it stopped.

If activities are going to use PVP architecture (and they do), they should be counted as PVP wholesale :colbert:. Snowball Arena, Aspect Arena, Crab Toss, Keg Brawl, and even Sanctum Sprint are all much better for PVP than actual PVP ever was.

Yup, they certainly had glory at some point last year. Aspect arena gave around 2k karma for a win as well. If they gave rank points too, there'd be no reason to touch sPvP because all of the activities are properly tuned.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

quit queuin', hotjoin is where it's at :dukedog:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

rap music posted:

quit queuin', hotjoin is where it's at :dukedog:

for the low tier losers maybe :nyd:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Turncoat Mommy posted:

for the low tier losers maybe :nyd:

while you nubs are gettin mad at video games i'm rollin in 500 rank points per match guaranteed heh

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
already rank 55 gonna be a dragon in 4 days. play spvp for the sport and fun of it and the ranks just happen instead of sperging out on grinds like it's a job. that poo poo is a total scrub tier pve'r thing :cool:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Turncoat Mommy posted:

already rank 55 gonna be a dragon in 4 days. play spvp for the sport and fun of it and the ranks just happen instead of sperging out on grinds like it's a job. that poo poo is a total scrub tier pve'r thing :cool:

lol ranks, i just like knocking people off of stuff in a chill environment

e: but free points sure dont hurt! :cheers:

rap music fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 11, 2014

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
Friend of All Children
For those of you who were worried after yesterday, lazy and I made up.

My heart pelvis beats for Lazy

DonVincenzo fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 11, 2014

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That picture is OP worthy.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Randy Orton? Is that you?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

To me, the problem with PvP is how slow it is. It seems like there's at least as many skills that prevent stuff from happening as there are that make stuff happen. Lazy gave me a thief build and warned me that it was pretty fragile, but it still takes forever just to die. When your hit points reach zero you're still not dead. First you have to be downed in a boring immobile weakened state and wait for someone to finish you off, but don't give up yet because you've got two stomp-evades to burn through. It's like everything is a rabbit hole of staving off death a liiiittle longer.

I guess it just goes back to a matter of taste. I bet GW2 has really good pvp compared to other MMOs.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
How are we doing at the wubwub? am i getting my mistforged weapons?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvwgold

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
If only they fixed actual problems as fast as pointless esport farming.

e: though I thought this was a thing a long rear end time ago too, maybe I'm misremembering.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

DonVincenzo posted:

For those of you who were worried after yesterday, lazy and I made up.

True love :allears:

See that it doesn't happen again you hussy

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
sPvp is really fun, and now that you will be able to get rewards for it, well it's getting even better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish my heart could love like that.

Professor Lazy
Jun 25, 2011
With all this spvp talk and the new rewards coming, I'm looking to come back to it with the new patch. For the spvpers out there: what's a good build for a ranger?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish my heart could love like that.

Man what about your marriage? Are you and Swiss getting a divorce!?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Professor Lazy posted:

With all this spvp talk and the new rewards coming, I'm looking to come back to it with the new patch. For the spvpers out there: what's a good build for a ranger?

Spirit ranger: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQNAV8YjMq0savK+rQ0agYVQQtHZq/Yy9oUniUFspC-TsAg2CpIaS1krJTTymsNN8Y5xeBA

Trap ranger: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQNAV8YjEq0ua5KerQ1agYVQQtHZq/Yi9wQO6RFspC-TsAAzCpIaS1krJTTymsNNqYVxeBA

Power Ranger: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQJATRjEq0waFL+rw1agY9gQ+ZQtCZi9g/HaRFspC-ToAg0CnIQShkDJDSSksINoYRB (I don't know the fine details about this build so some poo poo might be wrong)

Professor Lazy
Jun 25, 2011

Thanks! I'll try them out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Traxus IV posted:

Man what about your marriage? Are you and Swiss getting a divorce!?

Swiss is a traitor. All he does in get on mumble, call us a bunch of idiots and then leaves.

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I like shatter mesmer and s/d ele but the lovely payoff for the extremely high risk and skill requirement in both makes them pretty worthless.

Fair comment on the ele but shatter mesmer is my main and once it clicks it destroys any and every class except condition heavy engis (although that's a bit hit or miss).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
I used to hate eSports because I tried them with my squishy Elementalist when I was new, or my terrible Flamethrower-only Engineer (because turning GW2 into TF2 is fun) and died terribly. After making a regen-orientated Ranger, I had tons of fun being able to take on one, sometimes two people at a time and come out victorious. I think the key to getting into SPVP is realizing that it's a different beast from PVE, which can be surprisingly hard to wrap your head around.

• Locked thread