Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

THS posted:

why do you guys hate a well-produced TV show so much, and put effort into hating it

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hey friend, gently caress you.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sorry, just kidding. How do you disagree?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

THS posted:

why do you guys hate a well-produced TV show so much, and put effort into hating it

Because it's poo poo and deserves it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Joramun posted:

Because it's poo poo and deserves it.

sad how wrong you are :/

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

THS posted:

sad how wrong you are :/

Because...hate. and GRRM.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

THS posted:

Sorry, just kidding. How do you disagree?

I didn't disagree. Putting such effort into hating things is the foundation of Something Awful.

e: It's not called Something Nice.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Everyone in the Bad Thread is always nice, though. It should read Something Nice at the top of this page only.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't hate the show, it's just that it's taught me to be careful what you wish for when it comes to adaptations. I always thought it'd be cool to see a favourite series of mine have a faithful TV show, but it turns out there's a big difference in a TV adaptation of a book you like and a movie adaptation. With a faithful movie adaptation of a favourite book, let's say Gone Baby Gone or Shutter Island in my case, I spent 2x 2 hours watching the stories brought to life visually, with decent actors, and it was interesting to see how the directors' visions compared to what was in my head. But that's it. Two hours in the cinema, and you're done.

With Game of Thrones, that well has run dry after 3 episodes. Once you've seen a good actor's take on Tyrion, seen the Wall and King's Landing rendered in impressive CGI etc, there's not much left, apart from waiting for those pivotal scenes like the Battle of Blackwater, Red Wedding etc (some of which won't always be that good). I've spent 17 years of my life reading and discussing these books (and there hasn't really been much to talk about for the last 10 years...), so I'm just kinda burned out on the whole thing. Stretching the whole thing over 7+ years is just too much for me.

Plus it's annoying seeing some changes made for the worse for no discernable reason.

Yes I'm aware I don't have to watch it or keep reading this thread shut up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reading ASoIaF as it is written would lead even the most well balanced and kindhearted individual to absolutely despise and loathe all of mankind. If Mr. Rogers had read it he would have burned down a school and spent his twilight years teaching kids that there is no hope or future and that giving up is the only thing that makes sense in this cold, unforgiving, unfeeling, dead-souled world.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just noticed the FYaD title.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

I don't hate the show, it's just that it's taught me to be careful what you wish for when it comes to adaptations. I always thought it'd be cool to see a favourite series of mine have a faithful TV show, but it turns out there's a big difference in a TV adaptation of a book you like and a movie adaptation. With a faithful movie adaptation of a favourite book, let's say Gone Baby Gone or Shutter Island in my case, I spent 2x 2 hours watching the stories brought to life visually, with decent actors, and it was interesting to see how the directors' visions compared to what was in my head. But that's it. Two hours in the cinema, and you're done.

With Game of Thrones, that well has run dry after 3 episodes. Once you've seen a good actor's take on Tyrion, seen the Wall and King's Landing rendered in impressive CGI etc, there's not much left, apart from waiting for those pivotal scenes like the Battle of Blackwater, Red Wedding etc (some of which won't always be that good). I've spent 17 years of my life reading and discussing these books (and there hasn't really been much to talk about for the last 10 years...), so I'm just kinda burned out on the whole thing. Stretching the whole thing over 7+ years is just too much for me.

Plus it's annoying seeing some changes made for the worse for no discernable reason.

Yes I'm aware I don't have to watch it or keep reading this thread shut up.

Yeah, I've been waiting for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell to get adapted into a movie or show for a decade now, and now a TV adaption is indeed debuting soon, but since Game of Thrones I've actually started dreading it and just wish they had left it alone. The non-book reading fanbase of GoT is the worst, most annoying and retarded one I've ever encountered for any kind of medium or pop culture phenomenon, and I fully expect the non-book reading one for JS&MN to be just as bad so I'd rather just have no adaptation at all. Also GoT is often not just a bad adaptation, but just a bad television show period.

Fog Tripper posted:

Just noticed the FYaD title.
It's pretty lame. They should have gone with something about Catelyn's resurrection instead.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 11, 2014

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

gently caress You And Die like Tywin did to Shae.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

gently caress You And Die like Catelyn did except just kidding

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

THS posted:

Hell, I don't even watch the show and I think it's the best thing ever. Anything that give the author terror-sweats is a good thing. I put my efforts into despising what the books have become.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I like the TV show, I watched seasons 1-3 and read all the books in between season 3 and 4 though. The books can be slow (the second one seemed like the worst) but I think they ultimately pay off, they're not Tolstoy or Mark Twain or anything, but I think they're decent, especially for being fantasy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

THS posted:

Because it's bad and gently caress you. hail satan

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I actually find the show pretty dull and haven't bothered watching it since the dvds for season two came out. At least half the cast is just really bland and the stuff which is enjoyable, there isn't a terrible lot of just because of how many storylines they need to showcase per episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I actually find the show pretty dull and haven't bothered watching it since the dvds for season two came out. At least half the cast is just really bland and the stuff which is enjoyable, there isn't a terrible lot of just because of how many storylines they need to showcase per episode.

When the show first started I was hoping each episode would focus on just one character the whole time and it would flip flop like that through the whole series. Then I thought of how horrible an hour long Dany episode would have been.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like GoT and ASOIAF, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're utter poo poo because they kind of are, and for different reasons. The show is somehow the worse of the two though.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

THS posted:

Why do you care if internet people don't like some dumb TV show? Read a book, you goober.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

THS posted:

Play with my arse

I think the foreknowledge that the source material is on an undeniable downturn from pretty much this season on affects how I think about the show. There's a lot of parts I want to see and I'm slightly encouraged by some smart moves in changes from the book, but...ugh. Dany the mayor, Briennes search for Sansa, where do the whores go, etc etc.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 11, 2014

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

where do the whores go

I hope we find out :ohdear:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Play with my arse

I think the foreknowledge that the source material is on an undeniable downturn from pretty much this season on affects how I think about the show. There's a lot of parts I want to see and I'm slightly encouraged by some smart moves in changes from the book, but...ugh. Dany the mayor, Briennes search for Sansa, where do the whores go, etc etc.

OTOH:
Victarion Greyjoy. Margaery and Cersei's clash of the titans. Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal misbehaving. Revenant Catelyn. Victarion Greyjoy. Ygritte dying. Arya's training to become a Faceless Man. Bran becoming an omniscient (through both time and space) demigod with all sorts of interesting metaphysical implications. Victarion Greyjoy. Littlefinger grooming Sansa into his cutthroat heir apparent. Littlefinger pushing Lysa out of the highest tower in the entire universe. The horrifying Dragon Horn. Theon and Jeyne's bloodstopping escape from Winterfell. Stannis being The Mannis. Davos being Davos. Frey pies. Jon Snow getting stabbed to death for being an idiot. Jon Connington, marvelous gay action hero. Did I mention Victarion Greyjoy?

Lots of cool stuff still coming, despite all the muck.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I hope they turn Arya's Faceless Man discipleship into a kung-fu training montage set to Push It To The Limit.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I hope they turn Arya's Faceless Man discipleship into a kung-fu training montage set to We Need A Montage.

Fixed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I hope they turn Arya's Faceless Man discipleship into a kung-fu training montage set to Push It To The Limit.

Dany needs a training montage where it ends with her running up a mountain then yelling "DROGOOOOO!"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Dany needs a training montage where it ends with her running up a mountain then yelling "DROGOOOOO!"

Dany needs a montage in reverse, because she actually gets dumber and less effective as the series goes on.

I'm pretty sure she had a lobotomy between books 1-3 and 5.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 11, 2014

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

THS posted:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

hahaha omg those suspenders

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Wachepti posted:

Those clips must be Valyrian steel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Those things look like those tow straps you pull cars out of the ditch with.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They could hold up Catherine the Great's horse.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All I can say is I'm glad he's not also wearing a belt. Can't trust a man who doesn't trust his own pants.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Wachepti posted:

They are only missing a moon and three wolf's heads.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't get over the MedAlert bracelet macheting its way into his porcine arm.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't get over the MedAlert bracelet macheting its way into his porcine arm.

Allergies include, writing, hygiene.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Remember this absolute fucker is YOUNGER than Tom "I'm loving dead" Clancy

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Remember this absolute fucker is YOUNGER than Tom "I'm loving dead" Clancy
And despite his death, Clancy still manages to put out more books than GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The American Tolkien Presents: George Rough Riding Martin's: Jon Snow's Ghost Recon: Rainbow Guard Edition.