Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I liked Abed's non story this episode. Seeing him act like Abed while everyone else was acting normal was unsettling. As a single episode of the show it isn't a great one and is about as inaccessible as anything Community has done (not that they've cared about that for a while) but taken next to the rest of the series I dug it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ya'know I kinda thought that this episode had some wasted potential. Mostly in that I thought it would be a good character development episode by having everybody just stand around without any big drama happening. Particularly Abed, since it would seem that a good way for him to develop is to help rebuild the fourth wall; and to make him realize that in order for the other three walls to exist, he needs to fix the gaping hole.

Also I just wanted to see the show get experimental by doing an episode that tried to stray away from Harmon's Story Circle as much as possible.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It felt like one of the latter episodes of season 3, which isn't a bad thing in my eyes. It's obviously setting up for the next episode, so I'm going to withhold my judgement on it for now.

Mr. Mohammed (and The Dean) shaking down the vending machine and Chang singing about five-dollar footlongs got to me very hard.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This was the weirdest episode to me. I enjoyed it but it wasn't really funny. Just strange.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Did anyone mention yet that it sure was an episode of community? It sure was.

I'll add this much; it was better than the season finale of TWD.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This was the weirdest episode to me. I enjoyed it but it wasn't really funny. Just strange.

It was strange but it wasn't stupidly strange like the Dreamatorium episode in Season 3. It just sorta...was.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

ETB posted:

It felt like one of the latter episodes of season 3, which isn't a bad thing in my eyes. It's obviously setting up for the next episode, so I'm going to withhold my judgement on it for now.

Mr. Mohammed (and The Dean) shaking down the vending machine and Chang singing about five-dollar footlongs got to me very hard.

I hate season 3 with a passion that's downright embarrassing, and I liked this episode for the exact opposite reason. It felt like 20 minutes of telling season 3/4 to go gently caress itself.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Abed trying to lose the camera with a misdirect to the teachers lounge was hilarious and I won't hear otherwise.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I liked this episode, but then again, I also think that the majority of season 3 was some of Community's finest work, so I guess I'm not to be trusted.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 3 was just fine in my book. It gave us Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, and Basic Lupine Urology. Great stuff. The rest of the season varied in quality, but was still good television.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Solice Kirsk posted:

EKG's don't dip down that far!!
:goonsay:

:science: Actually they do. There aren't any P waves, or they are being lost in the QRS complex. Its a small tracing, but I would call it a 2nd Heart Block, type 1.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Season 3 was just fine in my book. It gave us Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, and Basic Lupine Urology. Great stuff. The rest of the season varied in quality, but was still good television.

I liked season three, too. Michael Ironside in a sitcom episode? Sign me the gently caress up.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

"My name is Ronald Muhammad. Go ahead, I'm heard 'em all" just laid me out.

And if we're playing the favourite metaphor game, mine was Jeff and Britta finally trying to settle for some normalcy only to have pure insanity (in the form of Annie, Abed, and the dean) burst through the door.

There might only be one episode of Community left, oh man.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
This episode would've worked much better if the whole "save Greendale" story amounted to more than 10 minutes of an episode that aired half a season ago.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

tinstaach posted:

"My name is Ronald Muhammad. Go ahead, I'm heard 'em all" just laid me out.

And if we're playing the favourite metaphor game, mine was Jeff and Britta finally trying to settle for some normalcy only to have pure insanity (in the form of Annie, Abed, and the dean) burst through the door.

There might only be one episode of Community left, oh man.

It's had a fairly decent run, at least. Newsradio only had five seasons (97 episodes), and it's The Greatest Sitcom. So if Community dies after five seasons (97 episodes), I'll consider it a success.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

97 episodes is outrageously good for a show that has only ended one season with its future assured.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't get the hate for this episode. I enjoyed it, and I really liked the Jeff/Britta thing, a desperation move to cling to emotions they don't want to admit they're having - possibly more about the school than about each other. Plus Abed With A Beard = Harmon.

I really want Buzz to be related to Duncan.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Steve Vader posted:

I really want Buzz to be related to Duncan.

Was it hinting that he hosed his Uncle?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Was it hinting that he hosed his Uncle?

It was hinting that he hosed his aunt and is the father of his cousin.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It was hinting that he hosed his aunt and is the father of his cousin.

I chew my cereal very loudly

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ashpanash posted:

The behind-the-scenes video has a few gems in it this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNm4plwapwA

It would have been kind of awesome if they actually used the "BAD DEAN UUE34" label in the actual shot.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Community: ABC - Abed's Berating Contentment.

Also, with all those Leon references, where is Jean Reno or Gary Oldman?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I can't believe nobody else has mentioned "Six people are killed this way every year - and five of them are insurance appraisers, so I take this job very seriously". Maybe it was the spot-on delivery, but that line still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
"wow you just made my joke more accurate now it's hilarious" is one of the best lines I've ever heard.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

fount of knowledge posted:

I can't believe nobody else has mentioned "Six people are killed this way every year - and five of them are insurance appraisers, so I take this job very seriously". Maybe it was the spot-on delivery, but that line still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Cast No Engine posted:

"wow you just made my joke more accurate now it's hilarious" is one of the best lines I've ever heard.

I enjoyed both of these, yes.

When they zoomed in on the sipping of the soup, I thought it was going to be some strange "art" piece of some sort. Or a minor characters type episode. Those would have been wasteful episodes at this point.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

kayakyakr posted:

When they zoomed in on the sipping of the soup, I thought it was going to be some strange "art" piece of some sort. Or a minor characters type episode. Those would have been wasteful episodes at this point.

You can't deny that an episode that's all the minor characters' stories playing out something like that similar episode of The Simpsons would be amazing. Just sixty seconds or so with each character as it pops around Greendale.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

El Tortuga posted:

You can't deny that an episode that's all the minor characters' stories playing out something like that similar episode of The Simpsons would be amazing. Just sixty seconds or so with each character as it pops around Greendale.

Nah we need a full on Lower Decks episode with Garrett, Vicki, Magnitude and maybe Quendra.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

Nah we need a full on Lower Decks episode with Garrett, Vicki, Magnitude and maybe Quendra.

A Day in the Life of Leonard.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Spoeank posted:

This time they really don't save Garrett.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

El Tortuga posted:

Oh poo poo if they did an homage to Linklater's Slacker that would be amazing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

kayakyakr posted:

That (and Abed's B-plot in total) was kind of a version of this, from early Dan Harmon:
http://www.channel101.com/segment/1098

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

swickles posted:

A Day in the Life of Leonard.

Unsubscribe.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

My opinion on this season (unnecessarily long and possibly incomprehensible):

I think that Community is operating at a different level from about every other comedy on TV this season. I just don't see any other comedy - network or cable - that is constantly willing to challenge itself to deliver (Harmon wrote D&D2 as a specific gently caress you to the network) (edit: except Archer, obv.). I guess I understand why the show is often perceived as hollow and insincere, as though it's just a vehicle for every smarmy Harmon impulse, but for me it is so much more satisfying than the numbing familiarity of every other late-season sitcom. While pretty much every show eventually declines in quality, Harmon is too self-aware to go quietly and has the ego to believe that he can evolve the form. I think that kind of ambition is worth celebrating even if it's occasionally self-congratulatory and petty and flawed. I know that not every episode worked completely (I'm out of the specific G.I. Joe demographic by a couple years) but I give points for effort and for trying... something.

I think that for some reason people now hold this show to an almost impossible standard - I remember the incredible popularity it had while airing season 3 and now everyone is very restrained. It's like the real life story of production over the past couple seasons has overwhelmed what's on the screen and sapped everyone's attention and patience. But if I compare the current season to how remarkably lazy and self-indulgent even a show like Parks and Recreation has become this season (where every characters' personality is dialed up to 11, occupations and most plot lines are completely meaningless, glacial plot development, etc.) I only appreciate Community more.

Arrested Development is the only other comedy I've seen that is willing to throw this much poo poo at the wall, to try as hard as the writers and actors do. Think about how many tones 'Basic Story' shifts through, the varied oblique references to The Truman Show and EDtv, and the layered plot (bottom: recognition by the characters of how they are caught in a loop; middle: Abed realizes that it is all a show; top: meta history of Greendale as Community's fractured production history, rehabilitation and current predicament of imminent cancellation/syndication). I can only imagine that while P&R and Modern Family writers are at home with their kids at 9pm, Community's writers are prepping for another all-nighter around a whiteboard. Yet pretty much every review says there is not much to this episode beyond set-up for next week. Every show deigns to do a concept episode now and then (HIMYM & Scrubs did their share, Trophy Wife just did Scandal) but Community, which treats convention like a plague, is just counting down the minutes until they can go all in on the next one.

The show is pretty much impenetrable to new viewers at this point (Harmon has basically written off the very concept of new viewers) but carries on a constant conversation and parrying act with the fans and the critics. What's going on with Annie and Jeff? Let's have the Dean put a finger on it directly. What was Pierce's legacy on the show? On P&R this would have been pure schmaltz and sentiment; on Community it is 7 canisters of frozen sperm and a boat trip around the world. How long can Jeff and Britta keep going through the motions while everything and nothing changes? Throw them into a marriage they both know is depressingly predictable. Every episode was a thematic callback to a prior season episode with a tweak (Bandit/Conspiracy Theories, Polygraphy/Calligraphy, Duncan & Britta/Mixology Certification, etc.) and advanced character growth through even absurd story lines. Personally, for me D&D2 is the most re-watchable episode of the show (probably because it moderates the uncomfortable stakes of D&D1 and doesn't raise questions as to why the group voluntarily continues to hang out with a man who almost bullied someone into suicide out of spite).

I guess I'm fully indoctrinated into the 'Cult of Harmon' at this point but I truly believe he put together one of the most cohesive and impressively-written seasons of TV that I've seen - for me it's night and day from how cynically season 4 tried to recreate the beats of the first 3 seasons. Instead he used season 5 as potentially a last opportunity to prove how ambitious and experimental a network show could be in his hands - it was imperfect but I think he succeeded. There are a few transcendent comedies on TV right now (Veep, Archer, Review, Rick and Morty) and a lot of pretty good ones but Community is the only one that promises to hit a home run for the kid in the hospital and then gets to the plate and starts swinging.

I've put too much thought into this and maybe I'm alone but I thought I would put it out there.

Unmerciful fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 12, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Unmerciful posted:

unnecessarily long and possibly incomprehensible

I'm interested, what puts Community above Rick & Morty, to you?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Good god that post is exactly why I hate talking about Community, this show can be funny at times but it is not some kind of transcendent television experience and Dan Harmon isn't a genius, he's just a funny rear end in a top hat.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

1st AD posted:

Good god that post is exactly why I hate talking about Community, this show can be funny at times but it is not some kind of transcendent television experience and Dan Harmon isn't a genius, he's just a funny rear end in a top hat.

This. It's really not a groundbreaking show, this coming from somebody who has watched it since the start and enjoyed the first two seasons immensely.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Catsplosion posted:

This. It's really not a groundbreaking show, this coming from somebody who has watched it since the start and enjoyed the first two seasons immensely.

I guess I would just ask why you don't think it's groundbreaking. It's potentially comparable to Arrested and 30 Rock but I'm hard pressed to name another show that bats around and subverts every trope, regularly breaks the 4th wall and half the episodes are themed/concept/homages. Can you watch this show after Frasier and say hey, these are pretty similar sitcoms?

1st AD posted:

I don't blame anyone for not treating the show like a transcendent experience. I understand that a lot of people feel it is hit or miss from week to week and that's obviously valid. But I don't think should be annoying or stupid to read a few reasons why I think the show is doing interesting things with the format. When was the last time we saw a character like Abed on TV? When will we ever see one again? I think that's an interesting conversation worth having but if you think I'm just being a dipshit who's reading too much into everything then fair enough

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Just because something is different or has never been done before doesn't mean that it is categorically good or valuable.

I am totally okay living my life knowing that there will never be another Abed on TV, probably.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Unmerciful posted:

When was the last time we saw a character like Abed on TV? When will we ever see one again?

Every Thursday at 8pm for the next three years.

I appreciate what Harmon's been doing with this season, but I'm not going to give him a pass for being experimental. At the end of the day, all that matters is how funny the show is. If Harmon can't deliver the yuks, him constantly crossing the line just proves why the line exists in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm all for experimentation, but I feel Community often exists in a weird ghost zone where its premises and ideas are really cool, but they're padded with totally bog-standard sitcom beats that aren't particularly funny or moving. Example: the MeowMeowBeenz episode is hilarious and experimental, but the "Jeff and Shirley have a disagreement" character arc that supports it is really stretched and hollow. There are often great jokes that play with form, but there's also a strange preponderance of jokes that feel like they came out of a machine, like Leonard passing Abed in the hallway and saying "Unsubscribe!".

It's not always like that, it's not even like that most of the time (this show has had plenty of fantastic episodes that are hilarious), but it's something I've thought about the show for a long time. It does experiment, but it also has pockets of dull mediocrity within that experimentation that feel as if someone forgot they were trying to do something interesting. I think Rick and Morty is a natural comparison, and I'd say that that's a better show because it goes all out on the bizarreness.

Community often feels like someone's checking on the reins, saying, "well, hold on guys, we are a network sitcom after all, we need to do at least one hackneyed joke about how everyone loves smartphone games, and throw in some emotion about how Character A and Character B resolved their differences". This would be fine, but I really don't think the show is as good at that playing-it-straight stuff as shows that make it their wheelhouse like Parks or Brooklyn 99. I don't feel a thing about Britta and Jeff deciding to get married, or Annie and Abed fighting because they miss Troy. It feels like a beat that's there because the form demands it, rather than one that the creators are genuinely interested in and good at conveying.

• Locked thread