Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

Is there a reason you want the 3 ton version? The one in the OP was this, which is $82 right now and dips below $70 pretty regularly below $70 right now:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton...utm_source=1020

Looking through my emails from HF, I don't see any deals on that 3 ton. I do know that I use the 2 ton pretty regularly and it's great - honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with an HF jack.

I have a '93 Explorer XLT, gross weight of 5040 lbs, and the frame is about ten inches off the ground. I would think that half of the weight would be too close to the 1.5 ton limit of the lower end jacks, and the 14-5/8 in. max height is too small of a lift. Am I doing this wrong?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I have a '93 Explorer XLT, gross weight of 5040 lbs, and the frame is about ten inches off the ground. I would think that half of the weight would be too close to the 1.5 ton limit of the lower end jacks, and the 14-5/8 in. max height is too small of a lift. Am I doing this wrong?

No, you've got a pretty good reason to not use the compact aluminum jack.

For my money, I'm drat happy with the Costco 2.5Ton steel/aluminum hybrid. I have an older 1.5T HF Aluminum and while it's great as a second jack, it makes worrying springy noises if I use it to lift something heavier than a Mazda3 by itself. The Arcan jack lifts my truck and my CR-V without the slightest complaint. It doesn't have the rapid pump feature but honestly I don't miss it that much.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, you've got a pretty good reason to not use the compact aluminum jack.

For my money, I'm drat happy with the Costco 2.5Ton steel/aluminum hybrid. I have an older 1.5T HF Aluminum and while it's great as a second jack, it makes worrying springy noises if I use it to lift something heavier than a Mazda3 by itself. The Arcan jack lifts my truck and my CR-V without the slightest complaint. It doesn't have the rapid pump feature but honestly I don't miss it that much.

I have the 3-ton all steel version of this, and besides being a huge pain to lift (e.g. into a truck bed) it's suited me great. Pretty sure it's similar to this HF one, if your Costco doesn't have them?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This isn't a tools question exactly but I'm not sure where else to ask. Do any UK goons know where a regular punter can get hold of decent nuts & bolts, e.g. grade 10.9/12.9 cap heads etc? Preferably at a retail counter if possible.

I used to get them from work but since moving to aerospace everything's heat resistant in nonsense inch sizes and it's a pain putting up with my local garage's inane parts counter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you have a branch of Brammer near you? I use them for hardware at work and i think their prices are fair, but i don't know what kind of discount I'm getting off list price.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Should have mentioned I'm in Coventry, so yes. There's a Fastenal nearby too, I'll give both a ring tonight and see if they have a retail counter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
All Screwed Up in Leicester can get most things, and will sell you anything down to single washers if you so wish.

And yeah, aerospace fasteners aren't much use for fitting modern cars!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

I have the 3-ton all steel version of this, and besides being a huge pain to lift (e.g. into a truck bed) it's suited me great. Pretty sure it's similar to this HF one, if your Costco doesn't have them?

That's the one I wanted to get but by the time I finally called my old jack dead, Costco stopped carrying it and replaced it with the hybrid.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the 2 ton steel Pittsburgh jack from Harbor Freight. Its lifted everything I've needed to, from lowered coupes to the Ford F250 diesel I worked on yesterday. Its heavy as hell, but it just lives in the garage, and I normally only have to take it somewhere a couple times a year.

Edit: or maybe its the 3 ton posted above mine. I'd have to check. Its one of the two lo-profile Pittsburgh steel ones.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 10, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's the one I wanted to get but by the time I finally called my old jack dead, Costco stopped carrying it and replaced it with the hybrid.

My local Costco stopped carrying them too, but I found one 100 miles away when I was down there for unrelated reasons and stopped for gas and a polish dog.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

Is there a reason you want the 3 ton version?

5" of lift height makes a BIG difference. I have the 1.5 ton, but I often find that it's just a little bit too low at full extension to get a car on jackstands easily.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I use the 1.5 ton jacks for my Explorer. I've never had a reason to lift the frame and just jack the axles. As long as the wheels are off the ground even slightly, there is plenty of room under the frame to do almost anything.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wasabi the J posted:

Lift the back by the Diff. Should save a few inches. Then jack stand the frame.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I use the 1.5 ton jacks for my Explorer. I've never had a reason to lift the frame and just jack the axles. As long as the wheels are off the ground even slightly, there is plenty of room under the frame to do almost anything.

Preoptopus posted:

Lift the back by the Diff. Should save a few inches. Then jack stand the frame.

There's nothing about the weight I should be worried about? I don't mean to be a wuss, but "pinned by truck" doesn't sound fun.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Simply put, your vehicle weighs less than you think it does.

Also, if you're real set on it, the 3-ton is on sale for $179.

It's not a bad thing to use a bigger jack than you need, but you don't need a 3 ton jack to lift an explorer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

It's not a bad thing to use a bigger jack than you need, but you don't need a 3 ton jack to lift an explorer.

Or the big heavy steel one I linked above for $90.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

Ohhhhh... gently caress thank you. Didn't realize that I wasn't looking at the right weight. :doh:

3923 Pounds (lb) = 1.77944 Tonne (ton)

There's a HF in my town, so I can just go there tomorrow and pick one up.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 11, 2014

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Don't people put 4"x4" lumber on their jack pads anymore? (or the equivalent metric measurement)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wallaka posted:

Don't people put 4"x4" lumber on their jack pads anymore? (or the equivalent metric measurement)
I do :shrug:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

wallaka posted:

This reminds me that there are people on ebay that sell hockey pucks they slit for the pinch welds. :xd:

After straining my wrists a couple weeks back trying to get out a very, very tightened down oil filter I got one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-69021.html

Used it last night with a little stubby wrench handle I also picked up at HF and it got an oil filter loose immediately with no fuss.

ed: $1.50 hockey puck + 2 seconds of cutting = $17 jack pad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Vulca...e_Tools&vxp=mtr

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 11, 2014

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

There's nothing about the weight I should be worried about? I don't mean to be a wuss, but "pinned by truck" doesn't sound fun.

I've never had the slightest problem lifting my Explorer or my Wagoneer. I also only put enough of me under the truck to slide jackstands below an axle, just in case.

Some printable coupons for your trip to the store.
Aluminum 3 ton jack for $180
Steel 3 ton jack for $70
Aluminum 1.5 ton jack for $70
Steel 6 ton jackstands for $30
Steel 3 ton jackstands for $20
Aluminum 3 ton jackstands for $30

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Some racecars/4x4s have a bit of chain in the wheel well that is just long enough to hook to a lug on the axle when sitting; stow it for suspension travel, clip it to the axle to get the tire off the ground quicker when jacking the frame.

Or just put the jack under the pumpkin or A-arm. On my roommate's Civic, using the designated jack points on the frame isn't that bad. On my cop car or my late Wagoneer, on the other hand, the low-profile jack that fits under the Honda barely unloads the springs at max height on the frame.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How do people feel about integrated bottle-jack jackstands? They look really good for all the cars where the jack points are also the only good place to put a stand (:argh:), and take up less storage than a trolley.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I've never used one. I've also n ever had a bottle jack small enough to get under my car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Time to get my Honda walk-behind ready for the year. Hey, carburetors for these are only $18 each! I'll get one just for PM! ... ... except I have an oddball with some auto-choke variant that is $52 instead. I just hope with the new carb it runs better than last year.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a dumb tool question. My uncle and I put an air compressor setup in my Jeep, and I want to get an airline and blower nozzle to keep in it. I'm thinking about 20-25' and would like to find a good brand recommendation, for both the hose and blower. (One thought on blower nozzles - compact is probably better. I've seen different styles that range from little tiny nozzle with a button on the side to gun, and because it will be staying in the jeep, the former would be better.)

Here's the problem/dumb question: I know from previous experience (basically, his friends giving him crap) that there are different types of fittings / chuck sizes/styles that these things have. How can I tell which one is which, and what are they called so I can find the correct one?

If it helps at all, his friend who gives him the most crap about this uses Harbor Freight air gear nearly exclusively, and all of his fittings are difficult to use, leak, and seem lovely. The fittings my uncles uses (and what we put in the Jeep) are much more solid feeling, engage better, and seem higher quality. The fitting that I need to hook into is (to my eye, at least) an extremely typical fitting (chuck) you'd find on an air compressor or at the end of the air line connected to such.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Use a high quality universal Dixon or Lincoln 5862 style quick disconnect.
copy/paste
code:
https://www.dixonvalve.com/search/products?searchTerm[partName]=Air%20Chief%20Universal%20Male%20Coupler&facet-field[0]=categoryName&facet-value[0]=Air%20Fittings%2C%20FRL%27s%2C%20Gauges
http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/Catalogs/Uploaded/Catalog_116/pgs100-102.pdf

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure that Dixon coupler is the one on the truck. It looks exactly like it, anyway. So ... good hose to plug into that?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Most of the commercial fittings I've worked with are Milton brand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Krakkles posted:

I'm pretty sure that Dixon coupler is the one on the truck. It looks exactly like it, anyway.
A disconnect looks like a disconnect to most people. If it's a Dixon it will say so and should have a model number on it too. If it isn't, who knows.

quote:

So ... good hose to plug into that?
Like the brand of hose itself and not the ends?

Buy a brand name really. Kuriyama makes really good industrial hoses for a good price and you can get air hose in 25' and 50' lengths. You'll find most quality industrial hoses won't come with couplers on them, just an MNPT thread so you can adapt whatever you want to it to fit your system. They make some excellent cold weather hoses if that floats your boat.

If you mean the ends it shouldn't make much of a difference since the universal couplings will take the majority of male ends as long as it isn't some sort of chinese unicorn.

Any really good industrial supply store that deals with hydraulic hoses and fittings usually have a few good high quality air hoses as well.

If you want a specific name of store, try Motion Industries. They might do wholesale only but generally have shops in semi-decent sized towns/cities so they'd be a good bet.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 15, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

A disconnect looks like a disconnect to most people. If it's a Dixon it will say so and should have a model number on it too. If it isn't, who knows.
Like the brand of hose itself and not the ends?

Buy a brand name really. Kuriyama makes really good industrial hoses for a good price and you can get air hose in 25' and 50' lengths. You'll find most quality industrial hoses won't come with couplers on them, just an MNPT thread so you can adapt whatever you want to it to fit your system. They make some excellent cold weather hoses if that floats your boat.

If you mean the ends it shouldn't make much of a difference since the universal couplings will take the majority of male ends as long as it isn't some sort of chinese unicorn.

Any really good industrial supply store that deals with hydraulic hoses and fittings usually have a few good high quality air hoses as well.

If you want a specific name of store, try Motion Industries. They might do wholesale only but generally have shops in semi-decent sized towns/cities so they'd be a good bet.
Awesome, thank you!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Does anybody have or have used a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and software for Android? If so, 2 questions. 1: How well does it work? 2: can you also read airbag fault codes or is that even an option with the BT modules?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've heard great things about Torque as an application. Haven't personally used it, but I have used some crap Windows software so anything with a half decent interface like Torque should be a huge improvement.

As far as reading airbag fault codes, I wouldn't hold your breath about getting that data from OBD2. Most cars use a CAN bus for their accessories and communication these days. OBD2 is really only used for emission equipment where it's mandated. Even if you have access to the CAN bus, none of the auto manufacturers release information on their protocols unless you pay tens of thousands of dollars to license it. :( Best bet is probably to find a cheap independent mechanic who has the diagnostic computer specific to your car make/model.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

mod sassinator posted:

I've heard great things about Torque as an application. Haven't personally used it, but I have used some crap Windows software so anything with a half decent interface like Torque should be a huge improvement.

As far as reading airbag fault codes, I wouldn't hold your breath about getting that data from OBD2. Most cars use a CAN bus for their accessories and communication these days. OBD2 is really only used for emission equipment where it's mandated. Even if you have access to the CAN bus, none of the auto manufacturers release information on their protocols unless you pay tens of thousands of dollars to license it. :( Best bet is probably to find a cheap independent mechanic who has the diagnostic computer specific to your car make/model.

The OBD2 port actually carries multiple bus lines including the CAN bus on vehicles that support it. There is a specification KWP2000 that while vehicle manufacturers do not follow the spec 100%, basic functionality like reading codes over CAN should work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

peepsalot posted:

The OBD2 port actually carries multiple bus lines including the CAN bus on vehicles that support it. There is a specification KWP2000 that while vehicle manufacturers do not follow the spec 100%, basic functionality like reading codes over CAN should work.

OBD2 is a festering sore on the already disgusting rear end end of automotive electronics.

It's literally a standard that contains all the older, mutually incompatible manufacturer standards. Basically they were going to make a nice standard, and then all the manufacturers bitched, so they threw up their hands and said "alright all of you document how you do things, sorta, and we'll jam your buses into this one connector, and the scan tool manufacturers have to support ALL of your stupid 80s pulsewidth based protocols to claim they support OBD2. Have it your way." And then they all made their buses slightly incompatible (either electrically or on a higher level) over the years so hey, your scan tool may or may not work.

gently caress I hate that disaster. Oh, and the CAN implementation is poo poo layered on top of poo poo as well, it's complex almost on the level of government regulations. At least the physical layer of the CAN bus is well documented and standardized however, and Just Works (once you configure your baud rate, synch jump width, phase segment 1 and 2 quanta, propagation time segment quanta, ...) rather than literally being pulsewidth based, incredibly slow serial comms straight out of the Bad Old Days of strange early 80s fuel injection systems.

Source: I have spent over $1500 on purchasing SAE, ISO, and ANSI standards documents alone just to learn how it works so I can implement it at work. If you choose to do this, make sure you have ibuprofen on your amazon prime subscription, you're gonna need it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

peepsalot posted:

I still wouldn't get my hopes up. For example on my 2005 GM car, there's an OBD2 bus and two CAN buses. One CAN bus is on the OBD2 connector but doesn't have anything useful on it. The second CAN bus is where all the fun stuff is (windows, locks, HVAC, etc.) but is on a special connector and isn't documented at all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

ssssssstandards

With the limited number of units your company is working with, couldn't they just throw it all out the window and expose a REST endpoint or something?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not really, at least if we want to fully comply with federal regulations.

mod sassinator posted:

I still wouldn't get my hopes up. For example on my 2005 GM car, there's an OBD2 bus and two CAN buses. One CAN bus is on the OBD2 connector but doesn't have anything useful on it. The second CAN bus is where all the fun stuff is (windows, locks, HVAC, etc.) but is on a special connector and isn't documented at all.

The only thing you need to know is which wire is CAN+ and which is CAN-. They'll be a twisted pair, you can look up the wiring diagrams somewhere and find out the color codes for + and -. Then just hook them to whatever CAN transceiver you're using.

If you have CANRX and CANTX lines from your device you are trying to attach to the car's network, you need a CAN bus transceiver that will convert them to CANHIGH/CAN+ and CANLOW/CAN- to make it work. A chip like the MCP2551 will do this pretty easily.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A follow-up to a previous discussion we had about buying a drill driver. I've decided on buying a Milwaukee Magnum, but Home Depot has several models available and I don't know which one I should be choosing.

I want a sturdy , general purpose drill for doing woodwork, some automotive work, and basic renos. How much RPM should I be considering? And what's the difference between a 1/2 in. and 3/8 in. drill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Get the 1/2 in chuck and don't worry about RPM. 850-950 is plenty for a hand drill. I'm not really sure what the difference between the two $150 ones are but get one of those.

e: Amazon.ca has them cheaper:
0300-20
0299-20

I've got the 0234-6 which I like a little better (cord and side handle design) but don't think it's worth $50 more. It was a lot cheaper on this side of the border.

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2014