Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Lobsterpillar posted:

When Adolin goes and watches the soulcasters when they are setting up a windbreak. The soulcasters have gems for eyes and (I think) red skin. That is partly why they always do it in secrecy, but Adolin is a prince so they can't stop him from watching.

Weird, I must have totally forgotten that chapter. I guess it's time for a re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Personally, I feel that Jasnah teleported to Shadesmar to hide, but didn't need to go there. She could have just gone anywhere, but where better to hide than someplace basically only 5 people know how to enter. At the end of WoK, I got the impression that Shallan physically entered Shadesmar, and that is an ability that Soulcasting allows. Jasnah's teleportation isn't really teleportation if she has to go to Shadesmar and then walk to where she's going. We also don't really have a time frame on when Hoid met her. It could have been immediately after the boat. Its placement in the book is what suggests it was months later. Although now that I think of it, I don't remember if she was wet or looked like poo poo or whatever. Either way, Sanderson likes cool powers too much to make Elsecalling as boring as having a shortcut, rather than full on Nightcrawler style BAMF.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

treeboy posted:

that's easily explained: Jasnah hadn't called over yet and was still on the boat, she probably wasn't expecting Shallan to turn the boat to water, but used it as a decent excuse to fake her death.

Seems to me (guessing) this is how the Lightweaver/Elsecaller/Willshaper powers work out in regards to Shadesmar

Lightweavers: can soulcast and visit Shadesmar mentally to communicate with the Spren/alter their physical nature. This is done at the "speed of thought" and therefore seems to be instantaneous to outside observers. I'm curious if Soulcasters (the ardents) experience this. This seems pretty clear After the ship 'sinks' and Shallan tries to light the stick on fire. She hangs between the two worlds for a bit to prevent 'drowning' (mentally I suppose)

Elsecallers: can soulcast in the same manner as Lightweavers. Their Travel ability allows them to travel to shadesmar in the flesh. Perhaps, the combination allows them to change the 'physical' nature of things in Shadesmar. "Masters" of Shadesmar due to the double affinity of having two surges related to the cognitive realm

Willshapers: Cohesion/Travel - guessing they can travel in the flesh to Shadesmar, and can use cohesion to actually *create* things (rather than simply changing their nature)?

Jasnah had definitely vanished before the boat sank. The sequence of events in Chapter 7 had Shallan run into her room to hide, then distract the assassins into chasing an image of her up on deck. She then went back into Jasnah's cabin to search for spheres and by then she could not find Jasnah's body.

What Brandon did with losing the Words of Radiance book was very clever--Shallan did not get a copy of that book back until she was on her way to Urithiru and by then everybody had other things on their mind. But with her first hand knowledge of how Surgebinders heal and reading about Elsecallers in the book, she would have realized that Jasnah had survived.

e: This might be one of the first things in the next book, as everyone will have had time to take a breather from the climax of book 2, Shallan will have had some time to think about the different orders.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 11, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kruller posted:

We also don't really have a time frame on when Hoid met her.

Yes we do. They have a discussion about things that have already happened by the end of the book.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
So that was actually Renarin doing the countdown, right?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There was no reason for Szeth to die if Sanderson wanted to keep using the character. Please, someone, give me any good reason for that to have happened.

Szeth: To remove him as a factor of worry for Kaladin & Co. To give them the chance to act without the constant worry about the White Assassin. To allow Szeth a clean break from his assassin days.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

api call girl posted:

So that was actually Renarin doing the countdown, right?

Yep. He didn't want to confess that he was having visions of the future, since that is frowned upon by religious types as being an ability not from the Almighty (Honor). Oddly enough they're right, Honor can't gift seeing the future. However, it's not necessarily a power that only Odium can supply either, Renarin's future sight is a gift from a Cultivation spren

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

While the way Szeth came back was annoying - just stab him low enough in the spine so he's crippled, swipe through his hand so he can't hold the honorblade any more and assume he dies in the highstorm - I'm much less concerned about Jasnah's survival (though adding an interlude where she survives so we can see what happens to everyone being inaccurate was a good idea) because there's only four female characters who can even be close to classed as influential, let alone main ones.

Also I reread Warbreaker and Vasher's still pretty cool and Vivenna and Siri are ughhhhh and then I got Elantris and I'm 42% through and I wish for death at every Sarenne chapter, come back WoK Shallan all is forgiven

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

keiran_helcyan posted:

Yep. Oddly enough they're right, Honor can't gift seeing the future. However, it's not necessarily a power that only Odium can supply either, Renarin's future sight is a gift from a Cultivation spren

Where's that stated?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I think it's assumed based on Honor's comments during Dalinar's last vision in Way of Kings. Honor says that Cultivation was always better at seeing the future than he was.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Man, from the moment in the interlude before part 5 when you really get inside Taravagahaffliggnian's head, all the way to the end of the book, it's like Sanderson took a goddamn humor class and passed with a solid C-. I actually smiled once or twice, and didn't get knocked out of the story once.

I still say the book would be notably improved by replacing all of Wit's lovely jokes with Dangerfield, and "Storms!" with "gently caress!" but if he can keep up with how he finished WoR as far as making people seem natural, I'll be very happy.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I don't get why so many people complain about Wit's humour, his jokes are supposed to be lovely and belaboured. It's only supposed to be Elhokar who finds him entertaining, and mostly because he pisses other people off.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Xachariah posted:

I don't get why so many people complain about Wit's humour, his jokes are supposed to be lovely and belaboured. It's only supposed to be Elhokar who finds him entertaining, and mostly because he pisses other people off.

This is just an excuse Sanderson (or more likely, some Sanderson fans) hides behind. If you find his characters funny, great. If you don't, they totally aren't supposed to be funny you guys! Isn't it nice and convenient that all of Sanderson's "funny" characters have plot reasons that people can use to justify why they aren't actually funny. It's bullshit, Sanderson tries his best to make them funny and people use those excuses to justify the jokes falling flat (i.e. most of the time). But the reason Shallan/Wit/etc aren't funny isn't because they aren't funny in world, it's because Sanderson sucks at writing humour. He's just not a funny dude and should accept that it weakens his writing. Saying that the characters "aren't supposed to be funny" is just excusing Sanderson's terrible humour.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
What really bothers me about Sanderson's writing (Besides his horrible character/place naming and humor) is he never adds things that would give a bit of weight to a scene. When Kaladin and Shallan had to survive in the chasm, half the text was his stupid loving dad humor. Why not be serious and add some gravity to the situation?

We're two 1,000ish page books in, does anyone give a poo poo about any of the characters? Kaladin is a whiny jackass most of the book, he's a carbon copy of BS's Perrin in Wheel of Time. If the whole world blew up in the beginning of book 3 would anyone care?

Also how many times can you call a storm a tempest before your editor grows the balls to tell you to pick up a thesaurus?

e: He's a good YA author, but if you're expecting Malazan/WOT/GRRM level fantasy I'd lower expectations.

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 12, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Shakugan posted:

This is just an excuse Sanderson (or more likely, some Sanderson fans) hides behind. If you find his characters funny, great. If you don't, they totally aren't supposed to be funny you guys! Isn't it nice and convenient that all of Sanderson's "funny" characters have plot reasons that people can use to justify why they aren't actually funny. It's bullshit, Sanderson tries his best to make them funny and people use those excuses to justify the jokes falling flat (i.e. most of the time). But the reason Shallan/Wit/etc aren't funny isn't because they aren't funny in world, it's because Sanderson sucks at writing humour. He's just not a funny dude and should accept that it weakens his writing. Saying that the characters "aren't supposed to be funny" is just excusing Sanderson's terrible humour.

Why would I make up something to defend a guy I've never met? I like some of his books but I'm not his friend or anything. It's no skin off my back if some people don't like Sanderson's "humour."

There are plenty of funny moments in the books and none of them have anything to do with Wit and Shallan's laboured puns. In universe they're specifically depicted as being unfunny by other characters as well so I just take issue with people going "Guys, Sanderson is totally trying his hardest to be funny and not succeeding." In my opinion the characters aren't intended to be paragons of dazzling wit (see, everyone who doesn't have to suck up to Shallan calling her on her poo poo and the entire Alethi court hating Wit and finding him tedious at best).

But, uh, if you're going so far as to accuse me of white knighting the guy then I guess you have a wildly different interpretation of things. I'm definitely not some crazed fanboy who can't accept any criticism of Sanderson.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 12, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wit's a dick, Shallan tries too hard, and Lightsong is hilarious.

Seriously, that's the end of the "Sanderson humor" discussion. You can break all that down and theorycraft about it all you want, but it won't change a thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm the guy, I love Sanderson's dad jokes.

I literally laughed out loud at a few of Shallan and Kaladin's interactions with one another.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pattern had some hilarious moments, and I thought Shallan pretending to be a horneater was pretty funny.

Fair to Midland posted:

What really bothers me about Sanderson's writing (Besides his horrible character/place naming and humor) is he never adds things that would give a bit of weight to a scene. When Kaladin and Shallan had to survive in the chasm, half the text was his stupid loving dad humor. Why not be serious and add some gravity to the situation?

We're two 1,000ish page books in, does anyone give a poo poo about any of the characters? Kaladin is a whiny jackass most of the book, he's a carbon copy of BS's Perrin in Wheel of Time. If the whole world blew up in the beginning of book 3 would anyone care?

Also how many times can you call a storm a tempest before your editor grows the balls to tell you to pick up a thesaurus?

e: He's a good YA author, but if you're expecting Malazan/WOT/GRRM level fantasy I'd lower expectations.

Nope, nobody gives a poo poo. All those posts before discussing the books and characters are just illusions.

Seriously though, I'm certainly looking forward to Skybreaker more than The Winds of Winter. Some if it is certainly because I know Skybreaker will be coming out soon while who knows when TWOW will.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I literally laughed out loud at a few of Shallan and Kaladin's interactions with one another.

Also, Lopen is funny. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ShadowGlass posted:

Also, Lopen is funny. :colbert:

How do you get a one-armed Herdazian out of a tree?

Wave.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretend I just empty quoted this.

Sanderson's dad humor is perfect and I hope he never changes.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Wit is an insult comic. Unless you know the person they are insulting, it's just dumb snark.

Of course I get a kick out of Shallan's puns as well. There's a "so bad it's good" quality to some of them. Plus, we are told part of the humor is the shock value of a lighteyes lady talking in such a fashion. It's like a young kid cussing or your mom making fart jokes. If that isn't amusing, then it's just a type of humor you don't like.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am rereading Warbreaker and Lightsong's hilarious, this made me laugh out loud:

quote:

She was still reclining on her couch. “Lightsong?” she asked with a frown.

“I returned because I just heard that one of your servants was killed in the attack.”

“Ah, yes,” she said. “The poor man. What a terrible occurrence. I’m sure he’s found his blessings in heaven.”

“Funny, how they’re always in the last place you consider looking,” Lightsong said. “Tell me, how did the murder happen?”

But I also like Andersons dad humor, maybe it's a dad thing.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I also enjoy his humor, and hope he doesn't change.

(although something about the fake swear words does bug me a little bit.. but I can get over it pretty easily).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

syphon posted:

I also enjoy his humor, and hope he doesn't change.

(although something about the fake swear words does bug me a little bit.. but I can get over it pretty easily).

I like swears that are built of the world like storm it, not so much ones that are random gibberish like kark it (star wars) or ones that are like childish nonword equivalents of real world curses like poodoo (star wars again).

In that sense, sithspit and "emperors black bones" are good ones.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
I think I'm done for now with WoR. I'm now 32% through and it bores me so much. There is not a single character I like and I'm not interested in any of them doing anything. Have I changed? Has Sanderson changed? I don't know, but I'll read some other book and come back after that.
I still want to finish it (I have read every other book by Sanderson), but right now I'm out.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

api call girl posted:

I like swears that are built of the world like storm it, not so much ones that are random gibberish like kark it (star wars) or ones that are like childish nonword equivalents of real world curses like poodoo (star wars again).

In that sense, sithspit and "emperors black bones" are good ones.

I agree entirely.

World-tailored curses can say a lot about how the people view the world around them.

Random nonsense non-curse curse words are just the author selling the book to children without taking the time to edit the language with anything other than a find/replace.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Illuyankas posted:

just stab him low enough in the spine so he's crippled, swipe through his hand so he can't hold the honorblade any more and assume he dies in the highstorm

This guy gets it.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

How do you get a one-armed Herdazian out of a tree?

Wave.

He's not one armed anymore!

quote:

just stab him low enough in the spine so he's crippled, swipe through his hand so he can't hold the honorblade any more and assume he dies in the highstorm

A highstorm which is full of stormlight, which heals shardblade wounds?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

He's not one armed anymore!

Next book spoilers
he'll be learning some two-armed herdazian jokes

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Next book spoilers
he'll be learning some two-armed herdazian jokes

Oh poo poo maybe he'll learn regrowth, and it'll go wrong, and he'll get a third arm

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

A highstorm which is full of stormlight, which heals shardblade wounds?

Hence the middle part of that sentence. Could always cut off the arm entirely on the backswing. Tie one shardblade to be behind another and start chopping people up more efficiently. A modern Roshar would presumably have Radiants with shardsaws.

Finished Elantris, and ughhhhhh Sarenne ughhhhhhhhhhhhh but otherwise a little better than I'd expected his first book to be.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
"Oh no we're lost in plateau valleys and a storm is about to drown us at any minute, better pull out pages of stupid rear end puns instead of show the gravity of the situation*!"
*apply to almost any serious situation in the books.

I can't wait for next book where the Shadesmar is going to blow up but first Syl and Pattern need to fit in a witty pun or two, haha!

Kaladin: Hey Syl, What do you call cheese that isn't yours?
Syl: Nacho Cheese.
Everyone: Hahahah, oh you!

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 13, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I guess you have a point to a certain degree, but how much fun would that be? Do you really want to read fantasy version of The Road?

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Fellwenner posted:

I guess you have a point to a certain degree, but how much fun would that be? Do you really want to read fantasy version of The Road?

I'm looking for some seriousness from a 10 book epic series. If it was labelled Young Adult I wouldn't have minded. I'll still read his books, cause he's really good, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying he's a bad writer. He's just a corny writer.

His short stories are great. Having to read 1,200 pages of mormon dad humor is TORTURE. Every dialog that starts you just know, "Here we go, okay we're going into the den of death, lets pull out a pun.".

e:

"Hello, My name is Mraize, you sure are strange, I have a question."
What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?"

Shallan quickly says, "Anyone can roast beef.".

Mraize the assassin king is stunned, "Mein gott".

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2014

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
While I'll be the first to admit that Sanderson's humor is...not very good, I didn't have a problem with the Shallan bit during danger.

...Okay let me rephrase that. I didn't have a problem with the characters trying to cope with the situation with humor because that's honestly pretty fair game. Humor helps people deal with situations like that, so I don't mind that the characters were trying to make light of it. I'm not overly fond of the ACTUAL humor there, but to me the fact humor existed there felt pretty okay with me, even if I wasn't a fan of the jokes themselves.

Also I don't know if it's the literary equivalent of stockholm syndrome or what, but by that point I was kind of laughing at the bad jokes like "...GODDAMN IT YOU REALLY WENT THERE DIDN'T YOU."

(Spoiler for specific bad jokes)

By the time stuff like "We’re down here, and we’re making bad puns. Please save us from ourselves!” rolled out I was like "Yup. I hate myself for laughing because this isn't a good joke but C'MON.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
All random quotes:

“Why hasn't anyone killed him yet?”
“Dumb luck,” Wit said. “In that I’m lucky you’re all so dumb.”

--

“I ain't grouchy,” Teft snapped. “I just have a low threshold for stupidity.”

--

“I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.”

--

Warbreaker spoilers
“Hello, a cheerful voice said in his mind. Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

I mean we're all adults here, we can roll our eyes at this. I'm not on some brigade against Brandon.. cause he finished WOT and he is a good writer, very good. But holy poo poo his faults are not getting better. I'm not even bringing up his character naming. I've found I completely lose myself (in a good way) in Brandon's writing until either a name comes up or dialog comes up.

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 13, 2014

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
That last quote is a pretty massive spoiler. It's the sword from Warbreaker, and for anyone who read it, that's a massive holy gently caress moment. Please spoiler it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Fair to Midland posted:

I've found I completely lose myself (in a good way) in Brandon's writing until either a name comes up or dialog comes up.

Like, have you considered maybe that's a personal problem of yours rather than some failure of his?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

That last quote is a pretty massive spoiler. It's the sword from Warbreaker, and for anyone who read it, that's a massive holy gently caress moment. Please spoiler it.

Oh, really? I never read Warbreaker my bad, fixed.

Though that makes me realize the whole Cosmere thing is going to be a loving nightmare for spoilers.