Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah you should go work for microsoft instead, i hear they hire lots of ui designers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

double sulk posted:

do u want 2 work w/shadowhawk?
I don't work for Canonical but I'm thinking I might app for one of their jobs again.

FMguru posted:

y

as long as it isnt for a position on the wine team

wine is not employment
I got a wine developer hired by Canonical to do X stuff he helps me maintain the packages now (and maintains the winepulse patches).

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

this is possible the fastest way to hate being a UX designer: work in open source.
breaking the workflow of your existing user base in the name of a casual user base that will never exist

Mr Dog posted:

yeah you should go work for microsoft instead, i hear they hire lots of ui designers

actually yes
you'll get paid properly and work in an environment where you're not just trying to catch up with the gui from 2004

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ahmeni posted:

you'll get paid properly and work in an environment where you're not just trying to catch up with the gui from 2004

isnt that exactly what ms is doing right now though?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

isnt that exactly what ms is doing right now though?

no as dumb as a lot of the stuff theyre doing is, a lot of it is at least new

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 12, 2014

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

no as dumb as a lot of the stuff theyre doing is, a lot of it is at least new

yeah no one has ever approached a UI with the goal of making it unusable

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I upgraded to the whatever 3.14 current linux with gnome 3.14 (the pi reference is cute guys) and so on. Classic mode doesn't seem to work anymore, and the newer gnome3 interface is alright I guess, but I don't like how you can't move around the clock for example. You used to be able to do that or pin apps to the menu bar thing (previously called a panel). I like the way it looks okay, but it'd be nice to have the option to change more about it. Is there some xml file I have to mess with to do that now and why or what's the thinking here
openssl 1.01g

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

... And that's exactly why I'm here at the west coast summit. Lennart, Kay, Greg, and a bunch of other hackers are here and we're discussing Wayland and kdbus and app bundles and sandboxing.

like most red hat things, the red hat conference owns

i had a pretty good attendance streak but moving it to the west coast made it too inconvenient this year

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why is docker a thing

and why do people tend to base docker images on a humongous bloated piece of poo poo like ubuntu server that has like a million packages installed that you aren't going to need, then clonestamp it however many times on your server, once for every function it performs (and of course they all have to be administered separately)

embracing vm containers is basically an admission that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

why is docker a thing

and why do people tend to base docker images on a humongous bloated piece of poo poo like ubuntu server that has like a million packages installed that you aren't going to need, then clonestamp it however many times on your server, once for every function it performs (and of course they all have to be administered separately)

embracing vm containers is basically an admission that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

afaict docker is embraced exclusively by people who don't understand
  • patching
  • auditing

not coincidentally, this is the exclusive audience for ubuntu.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
docker is solving a problem i've never had: "gee, i feel like i know too much about what's in production. would it be possible to make all applications opaque containers?"

even the metaphor is broken

we ship cargo in interchangable opaque containers because we assume the sender is non-malicious and the containers will spend their time isolated on a container ship or behind walls in port facilities

application lifecycles don't really work that way

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Docker solves some real problems. If you ship Apache as a package, it's a singleton. It's hardwired that your Apache service reads config from /etc/httpd.conf, and logs to /var/log/httpd.log.

Docker allows you to run multiple Apache instances on one machine, without a full virt stack. That's a good thing.

There's plenty of other features that containers and Docker gives you, but everybody knows that the current infrastructure wrt. Dockerfiles isn't perfect.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

why is docker a thing

coreos is supposed to be a better solution for this sort of thing, right? i haven't paid much attention to it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Project Atomic is also a thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Docker allows you to run multiple Apache instances on one machine, without a full virt stack. That's a good thing

why is this a good thing?
how do i patch it?
how do i know when it needs to be patched?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm old enough to have done this "containers without virtualization!!!" thing several times now

technologies i have known and hated to varying extents:
  • freebsd jail(8)
  • user-mode linux
  • virtuozzo
  • solaris zones

afaict, lxc and docker are less capable than three of the things on this list, in that i can't even rely on the host to audit and patch the guests

being worse than bad technology that has been abandoned by the industry isn't a good start. you have to make a case around how docker is different from all the (extremely similar) things that have come and gone

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why is this a good thing?

There's plenty of examples. For instance, it allows you to run separate environments (e.g. staging, QA, and development) on the same machine, which saves resources, etc.

"globals / singletons are bad"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do i patch it?
how do i know when it needs to be patched?

Your dockerfiles are all inherited from the same upstream. When your upstream pushes an update to its dockerfile, you can rebase on top of it. It's not different from the package model.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Containers have fresh, clean namespaces. The PID and filesystem namespaces are new in every single container. That's CLONE_NEWPID / CLONE_NEWFS.

Related is cgroups, which is what handles process grouping and resource limiting on Linux. It says "this process group has these limits".

Then there's sandboxing, which is usually implemented by AppArmor and SELinux. It says "this process can't do this operation" or "this process can't find out about this file".

FreeBSD jails and Solaris zones are a combination of sandboxing and resource limiting technologies. It doesn't give you the same fresh namespaces that cgroups have.

And FreeBSD jails and Solaris zones are far from abandoned. They're used heavily in every major FreeBSD and Solaris deployment. Containers are improvements on top of that already-liked, already-supported, already-in-use system.

I'm not familiar with user-mode linux or virtuozzo, so I can't compare them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it does not sound like you're very familiar with zones or jails.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Your dockerfiles are all inherited from the same upstream. When your upstream pushes an update to its dockerfile, you can rebase on top of it. It's not different from the package model.

so i have to trust upstream OS images to do all patching, re-base, and re-deploy?

that sounds awful but it beats the hell out of what I was expecting (absolutely nothing, because this is never mentioned on intro pages, and gently caress, anyone who uses ubuntu doesn't pay attention to support policies anyway)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No, I've never used Zones or Jails directly. I'm going based on what I've heard from my coworkers and read in ML threads. I, or they, could be completely wrong, and if I am, please tell me!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Either you trust Red Hat to patch Apache or you trust the Apache Foundation to patch Apache. And in both cases, you pay attention to advisories and apply updates when they're available and you learn about them. It's not different at all.

Apache actually themselves delivers Dockerfiles directly. In most cases, you're going to be getting your app directly from the developer instead of from a random downstream which applies some patches and ships it out the door. Keep in mind that the Dockerfiles aren't complete OS images. They're more like srpms in that they tell you how to build a certain container given a set of inputs. You can take the Apache Dockerfile, build it, get a docker container, and run it on top of any supported OS you want. Docker themselves takes the Dockerfiles uploaded to their service and builds binary containers in the same way Red Hat takes .sprms and rebuilds them.

And even though I work at Red Hat, I trust the Apache Foundation to ship me a working copy of Apache more than I'd ever trust Red Hat to do so. In the same way I'd trust Red Hat to ship me a working copy of RHEL rather than Oracle. Because the original developer is the one who knows best how to distribute and manage the software.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Today's containers have slightly less overhead costs than full VMs. That's about it if you don't put more work into them. You probably don't want to bother.

In theory though with some effort your containers can get other savings over VMs, such as mounting a common shared-on-host-disk read only file system. With one kernel opening files for multiple containers you'd get more caching.

Using containers as a way to get some sort of security by narrowing the scope of damage is a different use case, but VMs can do that just as well (possibly better depending on how much you trust the actual containerization).

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
docker is not a goddamn security benefit ffs
if you so any kind of continual integration the benefits of being able to programmatically contain and deploy applications is immediately beneficial and the people who bray the loudest are those entrenched in old monolithic system administration

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So make your httpd vhosts programmatically deployable in a way that's slightly more sophisticated than "just stringbash together a file into vhosts.d and SIGHUP the main process, duh. yeah you need root and you'll trash any updates made by hand, what's the big deal"

just dear god don't make it look anything like Tomcat ok

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

So make your httpd vhosts programmatically deployable in a way that's slightly more sophisticated than "just stringbash together a file into vhosts.d and SIGHUP the main process, duh. yeah you need root and you'll trash any updates made by hand, what's the big deal"

just dear god don't make it look anything like Tomcat ok

that's config management a la puppet/chef/salt/etc

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a possible security benefit in namespace and process isolation (if an exploit in httpd is found, it can't break out of its own container), but that's also handled by sandboxing technologies like SELinux.

The upgrade and patch model isn't different between Docker and rpms, and I don't know why Notorious BSD thinks differently.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

How do you move the clock around in gnome3 Suspicious Dish, or can you?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2/move-clock/

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks. I don't have much to add about the virtualization discussion, other than that my webhost uses their own vps servers, they can provision whatever os you want on top and it's fairly transparent. It's a good way to share resources so long as they're managed appropriately, and it's much easier to provision them. But I also think De Raadt had a good point when he pointed out that putting bad leaky code into a bad leaky vps is bad, as it always has been.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or, you know, you could use a different piece of software that's probably already installed on your server to securely multiplex your hardware resources and isolate the processes using them

it's called a loving kernel

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
alternatively just go full retard and use OSv (lwn article). I'm genuinely surprised nobody has retardgeted node.js for this thing yet.

e: added lwn link. lwn owns very much and is well worth the annual subscription fee. this particular article is more than one week old and hence not paywalled.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

or, you know, you could use a different piece of software that's probably already installed on your server to securely multiplex your hardware resources and isolate the processes using them

it's called a loving kernel

Containers are a kernel feature. The innovation of containers is to give you new namespaces for filesystems and processes. Like, literally the entire feature is that you have a new / with CLONE_NEWFS and a new PID space with CLONE_NEWPID.

So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why do you need filesystem namespaces to host multiple services?
why do you need PID namespaces for gently caress's sake??

if a physical or logical co-hosting of multiple independent OS instances seems like a solution to your problem then it means that your operating system is a piece of poo poo to begin with, so loving fix it instead of stuffing it under the floorboards (i.e. adding another layer of abstraction like a lazy piece of poo poo instead of fixing the existing broken abstraction)

i think the issue is that some people use suse, some use rhel/centos, some are complete dumbshits and use ubuntu. some of these distros use rpm, others use deb, systemd unified a lot of the pointless bullshit differences between them and they're fairly similar now except for what package manager they use and what the details of their release policy and acceptable licenses in their repositories look like, but um, well, each of those three kinda have a company that wants to continue to exist and make money behind them, so there's still no unified linux platform out there to standardise on.

so we just pick one of suse/rhel/ubuntu, throw its entire humongous half a gig bag of bloat into a container image, and then put our 200kb of application code on top of that, forward ports into this thing and then call it a day

i.e. the problem is a political one, not a technical one, otherwise we'd all have a de-facto standard around idk debian or something (you yourself seemed to imply that yum and rpm are terrible poo poo being kept from being fixed by means of political backstabbing)

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

if a physical or logical co-hosting of multiple independent OS instances seems like a solution to your problem then it means that your operating system is a piece of poo poo to begin with, so loving fix it instead of stuffing it under the floorboards (i.e. adding another layer of abstraction like a lazy piece of poo poo instead of fixing the existing broken abstraction)

It's not multiple independent OS instances. I'm not sure how you don't understand this. The technical answer is that "singletons are bad", "isolation is good". Just because you don't have a use case for multiple PID and FS namespaces, doesn't mean that there's no possible usecase and that all others are bad.

Keep in mind that the patch for CLONE_NEWPID / CLONE_NEWFS came from Google. They've been working on the tech for a long time. No, they don't use Docker. The underlying technologies are a lot more flexible than Docker. Docker is an attempt at building one "UI" on top of containers.

You can think of it like a chroot on steroids, almost.

Mr Dog posted:

i.e. the problem is a political one, not a technical one, otherwise we'd all have a de-facto standard around idk debian or something (you yourself seemed to imply that yum and rpm are terrible poo poo being kept from being fixed by means of political backstabbing)

Package managers are a wildly dumb, political battle. dpkg and rpm are both backwards-as-gently caress broken.

The political problem Docker solves is the idea that you have this third-party that takes the software a vendor writes and redistributes it. Docker allows the app vendor to ship the application directly, with enough flexibility that interested parties can rebuild the container on top of other base systems, without the need for a middle-man to integrate things.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Dog posted:

i think the issue is that some people use suse, some use rhel/centos, some are complete dumbshits and use ubuntu. some of these distros use rpm, others use deb, systemd unified a lot of the pointless bullshit differences between them and they're fairly similar now except for what package manager they use and what the details of their release policy and acceptable licenses in their repositories look like, but um, well, each of those three kinda have a company that wants to continue to exist and make money behind them, so there's still no unified linux platform out there to standardise on.

so we just pick one of suse/rhel/ubuntu, throw its entire humongous half a gig bag of bloat into a container image, and then put our 200kb of application code on top of that, forward ports into this thing and then call it a day

docker is literally just a frontend for kernel code virtualizing the pid namespace and the fs namespace

virtual cpus = threads, virtual memory = processes

imo cgroups should have been there from the start every process should run only in its little sandbox unless authorized to communicate with something else

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
also vm hosts having page deduplication ends up working kind of ok

mirage OS is even more awesome, just compile a custom kernel with ur app!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sorry, i don't mean "you" as in "Suspicious Dish", you're good people, i mean the linux community, which can be a real clusterfuck at times.

still, dealing with linux stupidity is miles better than dealing with windows stupidity so i can live with that.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I use centos on my desktop at work and it's cool

centos, rhel, fedora, and things like that, are actually really good, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

linux is really bad. please do not use it