Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nanana's is off to an interesting start. I'm curious to see where they're going with this.

EDIT: Sidonia looks fine. The faces are more than made up for by the backgrounds. :swoon:

You people who haven't read the manga have no idea how easy you have it telling characters apart here. In the manga you don't get the luxury of hair colors.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
While, say, Vanguard and YGO are not paragons of The Best Anime ever, they at least make an effort to make the card game action followable. But Wixoss? I have no clue, and I suspect we may never get a clue, barring the game getting an English release.

At least Wixoss is a decent anime to riff on with friends.

E: Never mind, I'm dumb. Someone on /a/ translated some promotional material. Sounds like a sort of bastardized version of Vanguard. http://pastebin.com/L3mEh94k

ImperialGuard fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 12, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-12/gurren-lagann-gets-stage-play-in-tokyo-in-october

This can only be hilarious and amazing.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Akuma no Riddle keeps getting more interesting. More dark happenings and pasts have been revealed. And already one surprising turn of events.

Edit: Fairy Tail: I really hate how useless Lucy is and how often she has to be rescued. And the series started out so promising...

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 12, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea where the VN thread has gone, so I'll put this in here.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/04/12-1/zero-escape-director-is-working-on-a-new-game

e: Mekaku City Actors is so Monogatari that I sometimes forgot it wasn't. Also I have no idea what happened at the end there but I'm still really interested to see where Shinbo's going with this.

e2:
Thanks, though I could swear it wasn't there the first time...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 12, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Brb going to Japan to audition.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
When I first heard that Atelier Escha & Logy was going to get an anime, my first thought was how are they going to adopt a series like Atelier, which is very nonlinear and has a lot of character interaction stuff in non-essential scenes, into a coherent story. After watching the first episode, I can at least have faith they have some idea how it's going to go. The advantage with doing Escha is that it has a more focused story than the previous games in the series, and has enough plot moments that I don't think the writers are going to have trouble piecing enough of those moments together to fill 12 episodes.

For those unfamiliar with the game, Escha & Logy is a dual protagonist game where depending on which character you choose at the start, the main story stays the same, but several scenes play out in different ways, there are several scenes exclusive to each character, and you can hear your main character's thoughts more often (the anime seems to be following Escha's side of the story). The game is divided up into several Assignments, and after completing those Assignments you get a period of free time to do whatever you want before the end of the game. The first episode covers the tutorial and first Assignment and takes it own liberties with the story and setting, but doesn't feel like they were being unfaithful to the source material and were more having the game make more sense, like having the balloon docks on a mountain instead of right in town. And to answer the inevitable question, no, you don't have to know anything about the prequel to understand this story, as the few characters from the previous game in the series who do show up aren't that important to things.

Although it is the first episode and is a little dry because of that, I am interested in seeing how they adapt the game in its entirety. The music was also very good. I'm sure the composers for the anime aren't the same guys who composed the game's music, but I feel it's still in the spirit of it. The first episode definitely didn't turn me off toward this adaptation and makes me hopeful there will be at least one pretty good video game anime adaptation. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of video game anime and am far from the best judge of quality, but still.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Tried out One Week Friends. The premise came off a little contrived based on how the characters describe it. If it's not actually so literal about what she forgets and when it could still be good though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I have no idea where the VN thread has gone

Page 2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And hopefully oblivion.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Mushishi - Another enjoyable episode. I wish I could just marathon this like I did with season 1, but I have to wait for each new episode

Akuma no Riddle - Still not horrible, still not amazing, but it is a decent middle of the road anime. This episode finally set up what is going to happen for the rest of the season (I think), so I hope the next episode actually has some action in it. They all seem to have "normal" body types and there is nothing that I have yet hated. I may watch this through to the end of the season.

The first half of second episodes

Dragonar Academy - Still a very bad show that is somehow keeping me watching. I really wouldn't ever suggest to somebody to watch this, but I am going to watch the next episode anyways...

The Irregular at... - I don't know how this show could get more bland. Just with what they have they could make this a very good show. The incest plot thread is just stupid and doesn't add a single thing to the story, the character designs are bland, and there ends up being too much dead space in the episode. If they made this just slightly faster paced, dropped the incest, and made the outfits more interesting, this show could easily be good. I will watch next week, but I don't think I will continue past that unless that episode ends up being really good.

Captain Earth - The second episode was still quite good. So far only the Main character has gotten any real characterization, but I expect the others will be getting some next episode.

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler - I still don't know. This is just so stupid that at times it comes around to being quite funny. Here is a gif that is probably :nws:http://imgur.com/S9Mpv1l:nws:.
Also (once again)

So I didn't drop any after the second episode (for these shows anyways). I'll probably do the rest of the shows that I am watching in one bigger update next week.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strong Mouse posted:

If they made this just slightly faster paced, dropped the incest, and made the outfits more interesting, this show could easily be good.

No, it would still be bad because the main character is bad.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Silver2195 posted:

No, it would still be bad because the main character is bad.

You're right, but I can dream can't I?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Doki subs picked up Atelier Escha and Logy. The first episode seems to have gotten the main events from the first mission fine, but the end credits are one big spoiler for the game. The credits feature (Game/Anime spoiler) the main antagonist who doesn't appear until they reach the ruins towards the end of the game. It even shows what she's trying to do. It's kinda jarring if you thought it was safe to start watching even if you had almost finished the game.

I'll need to see another episode before I pass judgement on how faithful the adaptation will be, although nothing can beat what Devil Survivor 2 did last year.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
It's a tender rain!

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Retro Access posted:

It's a tender rain!
Why does Japan put engrish everywhere.

I don't know exactly where the plot of The World is Still Beautiful is going but it seems more generic than I hoped for. It's still nice and kind spirited though.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Mercrom posted:

I don't know exactly where the plot of The World is Still Beautiful is going but it seems more generic than I hoped for. It's still nice and kind spirited though.

I can't really disagree, but I thought it was a good episode. Nike is still a pretty fun heroine, in any case. So I made a thread.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Nike is fun, but I don't buy the king as as any kind of leader. I can't see him conquering a mailroom, let alone a world. If he was just the latest heir to an empire, his precarious existence would make sense, but he doesn't seem to have the charisma or authority that a conqueror needs.

I'm at least glad the King's not a garden variety abusive sexy manipulator, and that the relationship between the two leads does seems more family than romantic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The explanation seems to be that he's some kind of strategic savant that lives for conflict, coupled with his mom's assassination as a driving factor for his ambition.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Mekaku City Actors is too SHAFT. Also I have absolutely no idea what the hell happened at the end.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Mekaku City Actors is too SHAFT. Also I have absolutely no idea what the hell happened at the end.

He got shot. Look at the screen behind where he was standing.

haha seems opinion is all over the place for fans:

.Clash fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 13, 2014

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Mekaku is so loving Shafty. I love it.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
It bothers me that the fantasy continent in Dragonar is literally shaped like a dragon.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Just watched the 2nd episode of Mahouka. I find the main character and his sister too 'perfect' to the point that they're boring. It actually kind of disgusts me. Am I just too bitter?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

uuuummm posted:

Just watched the 2nd episode of Mahouka. I find the main character and his sister too 'perfect' to the point that they're boring. It actually kind of disgusts me. Am I just too bitter?

Not at all. I found it to be extremely bland, though I didn't really think about it being because the main characters were too perfect, but that makes a lot of sense.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

uuuummm posted:

I find the main character and his sister too 'perfect' to the point that they're boring. It actually kind of disgusts me. Am I just too bitter?

"Perfect" characters are generally considered bad, because flaws and weaknesses are what make a character interesting. So no, you're not.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

uuuummm posted:

Oh man you haven't seen anything yet.

Although it doesn't excuse it, there is an in-setting reason for this, although it won't be explained for a long time.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 13, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've heard the MC from Mahouka described as "the Platonic power fantasy from which all other power fantasies are derived", which seems pretty accurate. It seems to me that the entire series has no purpose other than to heap praise upon him. For example, the sister character only exists to brag on his behalf because he's too calm and stoic to stoop to that level. Also, the only conflict in the series so far has been that jealous male rival characters refuse to acknowledge his awesomeness (while all girls will acknowledge it pretty quickly). The author is literally trying to squeeze conflict out of the fact that he doesn't get the praise he deserves.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

uuuummm posted:

No. The dude from Mahouka makes Kirito look like Shinji Ikari.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm trying out drat near half the shows this season, so I'll probably hold out on impressions until everything has aired the second episode... but it makes me happy to see so many people interested in Chaika. The anime skipped some character establishing for the siblings in favor of getting right to the forest, which I'll admit makes for a better first episode, yet I'd highly recommend taking a look at the manga after the show wraps if you enjoy it, it's good stuff.

Now I just need to get people to read Akame ga Kill! before the anime airs in a few seasons and my two favorite medievalish setting manga will be covered. :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Mahouka desperately needs a broader color palette, snappier dialogue, and better pacing, and I'm not sure if I can even keep watching it as a Bad Anime. I stuck with Horizon on the Edge of Nowhere just to see how deep that rabbit hole went (insanely deep, it turned out), but that at least had a sort of manic energy to it. Power fantasies can be enjoyable if the author is having fun, but Mahouka seems determined to be joyless and blandly matter-of-fact about it. It's like a self-insert TPS report.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oreca Battle is art. You should all be watching oreca battle.

One Week Friends was pretty neat, albeit kinda bland. Sweet and inoffensive tho so I'll be watching it.

Black Bullet was dumb.

I then peeped the flag show which was even worse.

E: Don't watch black bullet if you hate spiders/big bugs though.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 13, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is deeply unsettling to see how completely submissive and dependent the sister is on Godking Gary Stu. In print it was easier to take it as an unintentional joke at the author's expense.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Tried out One Week Friends. The premise came off a little contrived based on how the characters describe it. If it's not actually so literal about what she forgets and when it could still be good though.

The second episode kept me expecting another shoe to drop at any moment like her father getting rid of the diary or her disregarding the diary and the note. It must be awful to expect that. Hopefully it'll stay sweet and nice and not have any sort of BAD END. :ohdear:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Overlord K posted:

Now I just need to get people to read Akame ga Kill! before the anime airs in a few seasons and my two favorite medievalish setting manga will be covered. :allears:

Ahahahahahaha what :allears: That is going to be thirty straight minutes of [content censored] every week.

gently caress it, why not. Might as well ride the crazy train all the way down.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to watch anything, yet, (apart from Captain Earth, which was faaaaabulous :allears:) because I've just moved into a new flat and am sadly internet deprived. :smith:

Happily, I have had the, uh, "pleasure" of reading the Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara, Gokukoku no Brynhildr, and Black Bullet manga, and can tell you that all three of them were bland and generic and not really worth your time.

Flag wo Oraretara I actually straight up dropped, which is not something that happens very often. This one I think got the boot by being... not even offensively bland, so much as so utterly devoid of anything of note that the pages might as well have been blank.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr... so I actually liked Nononono? Or, I liked it more than this. Creepy rapey bullshit aside, it had a plot that went places and actual tension and characters I, if not cared about, exactly, at the very least found compelling. The ski jumping stuff was kinda interesting too. This doesn't have any of that. It has some high school guy acquiring a harem of cute girls with magic powers. Occasionally someone dies or is mutilated, because :lynnokamoto:. And that's it. Nothing ever goes anywhere and nothing ever happens and these characters can't even hold my attention when they're in mortal danger. It's basically Elfen Lied (also by this author, by the way), but worse.

Black Bullet is probably the least worst of the three? I don't remember the manga being terrible about the little girl thing, though I could be wrong. Mostly I remember being confused, because the scans have this wonderful habit of being uploaded out of order. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The first episode of Byrnhildr seemed OK, but the second was quite boring.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Nothing ever goes anywhere and nothing ever happens and these characters can't even hold my attention when they're in mortal danger.

And as you say this is representative, I think it's a safe drop.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think Byrnhildr actually has my favorite OP music of the season. (Mushishi's and Jojo's aren't as good as their first seasons'.) Shame about the show.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Autonomous Monster posted:

Gokukoku no Brynhildr... so I actually liked Nononono? Or, I liked it more than this. Creepy rapey bullshit aside, it had a plot that went places and actual tension and characters I, if not cared about, exactly, at the very least found compelling. The ski jumping stuff was kinda interesting too. This doesn't have any of that. It has some high school guy acquiring a harem of cute girls with magic powers. Occasionally someone dies or is mutilated, because :lynnokamoto:. And that's it. Nothing ever goes anywhere and nothing ever happens and these characters can't even hold my attention when they're in mortal danger. It's basically Elfen Lied (also by this author, by the way), but worse.

Yeaaaah, I was on the fence about this one after the second episode, now that you've reminded me who the author is I'm definitely dropping it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Being a paragon of free thought, I'll give Brynhildr a try regardless. It doesn't seem terrible yet. Ep2 was about establishing the setting. The whole precog vigilantes thing is rather silly though.

Edit: I haven't watched Elfen Lied so I can't make any judgement calls.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even the elfen lied anime cut out the incontinent girl. Brynhildr isn't that bad though, just dull.

• Locked thread