Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC in 13 days, it's already been a month, what are some things I should know?

(I've beaten Dark Souls a few times.)

Non-spoilery:

As mentioned above, the requirement to match up for co-op is not (at least according to experimentation by reddit) based on soul level, so if you're finding things difficult, spend your souls. I struggled for a long time assuming I was overlevelled for the first primal boss I got to, when in fact I was probably a bit low at L50. L60-70 is more like it in terms of challenge reduction.

Don't bother keeping up with the DS2 thread, you'll spend more time on it than you will playing the game. Read the OP, then post and refresh after five minutes, you'll have your reply then the thread will move on.

If you think you've hosed up your stats or that a different playstyle would be better, you don't necessarily need to restart because there are items called Soul Vessels, which you give to the crones from the tutorial / trailer and it puts you back to your starting stats and lets you reallocate the rest of the points wherever you want.

Most importantly; unlike DaS1, Titanite is VERY limited until the late game by which I mean the end of iron keep, so spend it wisely.

Rings of Life Protection are your friend. Look up where you can find one ASAP; it's essentially the Ring of Sacrifice from DaS1 except it also keeps you human, and when it breaks you can go to a blacksmith to get it repaired. Hence you can effectively stay human all day errday at a cost of about 3k souls per death, which you'll have on you if you were wearing the ring. The most common complaint with Ds2 is how easy it is to die and lose your humanity, especially when attempting bosses. Once you get a couple of them, it means you have a whole separate 'lives' system and the relative scarcity of the human effigies doesn't matter so much. It also means you stay at full health rather than having to dick about with health rings or the ring that limits your gradual max health reduction when hollow (see spoilery bit for directions).

Spoilery:

As with the first game, keep talking to everyone until their dialogue is exhausted. Most of them will then move back to Majula and give you a free item and an achievement / trophy.

In case you didn't see it, do a 360 from the majula bonfire and look for the torch by the coast. That leads you out to the first area you need to go to.

Just after you leave Things Betwixt, follow the coast round until you see a spot that you can drop down. There's a good priest's chime and strength / bleed weapon down there, as well as the binoculars which you can now use in your left hand slot to aim in first person with spells.

Don't try going down the Sparta hole without the cat ring, a health upgrade and probably the jester's trousers.

If you want a ring that limits the max health drop when hollow to 75% instead of the usual 50%, head to the big stone tunnel past the tents in Majula. Ignore the contraption for now, run down, pick up the free shield and dex dagger on the way, keep following the path and when you're in the Heide's Tower area, go to the right at the bottom of the steps before the massive knight to use a bonfire. Summon two people and charge through, following the left hand path when you hit the big circular pagoda to the left. Rush past the knights if you have to, but kill the last one and hit the switch that pops up when he dies. Follow the drawbridge up, open the chest on your left BEFORE the fog door, then homeward bone back (the boss here will probably kill you, because it's Ornstein).

There's a bow in the blacksmith's hut when you first reach Majula. You unlock the hut by buying the key from the old woman with the crate on her back in the Forest of Giants tower. When you have the key go straight back to majula, unlock the shop and open the chest. Shortbow makes everything easier.

When you meet a merchant called Gavlan, you get the chance to sell him your poo poo. However he moves after you bonfire respawn, and doesn't settle down until you reach the Doors of Pharros area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Any tips for SMT: Devil Survivor 2?

There are a couple on the wiki IIRC. I also remember the LP thread for it being pretty good, but it died and I don't have archives. Like, what characters should I focus more on, and how careful I should be with multiple saves and doing events before they expire.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

After struggling through DkS 2 with a dex/pyro build and finding myself completely and hopelessly outclassed in PvP for the most part, I have one piece of advice that I have to give with a heavy heart:

Dex builds are poo poo.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

After struggling through DkS 2 with a dex/pyro build and finding myself completely and hopelessly outclassed in PvP for the most part, I have one piece of advice that I have to give with a heavy heart:

Dex builds are poo poo.

This is entirely subjective and not actually good advice.

edit: To actually contribute, EZMODE pve remains the path of the greatsword or other big slammy weapons because you can stunlock monsters at range with ease. In PVP pretty much all builds are useful, if you gear/enchant/play appropriately.

Sinatrapod fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 12, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Dex builds are poo poo.

This is true. Use magic; anything else and the game treats you as a second-class citizen in the majority of situations, and certainly from halfway through the game onwards. Big slammy weapons work for the early game, but anything past the mid-game can out-stamina you and won't get stunned on hit worth a drat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just bought Gangsters: Life of Crime on GOG.com, and I am just as terrible at it as when it first came out. Does anyone have any tips to make me suck less?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I just bought Gangsters: Life of Crime on GOG.com, and I am just as terrible at it as when it first came out. Does anyone have any tips to make me suck less?

If you want to cheese:

figure out where your enemies hq are early on. When the week starts, look for blocks with a bunch of cars around them. Note them, and have a couple gangsters scout the spots that you notices. The next week, send one goon to each to bomb the tenement block. You have effectively reduced their legal income to zero, the feds will show up in a couple weeks to arrest them. You win!

If you want to actually play the game:

Extortion is illegal money. If you take too much of it to fast, the feds will be on you. Protection money is legal IIRC.

Most jobs go better with higher quality hoods. Make sure your extorters have good intimidation, your thugs have good weapon skills, etc. The biggest exception is your protection racket; anybody can do it.

Above all, your lieutenants should have high organization, intelligence, and whatever skill corresponds to the thing their squad does.

There are only a few places that you, or any gang, can recruit from. These territories are very valuable.

You only get 1 lawyer and 1 accountant, only settle for the best.

Different legal businesses make better fronts for different illegal ones. It usually follows some logic (banks are good fronts for loan sharks, massage parlors and dance studios for brothels, restaurants for speakeasies, etc.)

The speakeasy is by far the most profitable business.

Bribing judges, politicians, and cops usually pays off

If someone refuses to pay protection, rough them up (intimidate, assault, raid, or vandalize). If someone squeals, kill them.

Your patrols are good for neighborhood morale; and your hoods don't need to be exceptionally skilled for them. Your hitters, on the other hand, need to be at least 4 stars in firearms.

Don't worry about maximizing the orders you give to your lieutenants; they usually can't do as much as they say they can

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Dex builds are poo poo.

The main issue with dex is that it can't put a dent in armoured enemies unless you build your character around larger, out of the way, dex weapons. This is assuming you know the earliest way to find them.

I beat half the game with a (well upgraded) Scimitar and would not recommend it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

quote:

Persona 4

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• Play on Easy Mode. The game will still throw a challenge your way, but it'll mean you won't have to constantly grind to keep up and free some days for S.Links.
  • Use rainy days to study, preferably with a friend. You'll get double points for it and quite a few points in that person's S.Link.
  • You might feel rushed with having to go in to rescue someone, but you have a good month or so before there's a long stretch of rain that will bring fog.

All Easy mode really does is give you a crutch (10 free auto revives). You should really only play it if you've never played an RPG before in your life. The beginning of the game can be challenging but I'd still say Persona 4 is a really easy game overall.

Rainy Days can also be spent at the Chinese Restaurant for boosts to several different social stats, so keep that in mind.

Worth noting is that while you generally shouldn't rush to rescue someone (as that's likely to get you killed), you also shouldn't put it off. The S Links for your party members are the most influential on your battle ability since they're more than just EXP bonuses on fusion, but you tend to get locked out of those links when there's a rescue to do. Not every time but it does happen often.

On that note, the December dungeon should be put off until 12/23 at least, as completing that one railroads you into the endgame.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Persona 4:

Unless you're emulating and have access to savestates make 100% sure you don't get Enemy Advantage'd in Steamy Bathhouse (2nd dungeon) between the 7th-10th floors.

Wondrous Magi are the dumbest loving enemy in the game: they move faster than Yosuke (who most likely moves faster than you if you aren't actively running a high Agility Persona on point), have no easy elemental weakness (Mudo still being relatively hard to come by), spam Maragi or Mazio, guaranteeing double turns off of Yosuke or Chie if not your character, and because they spam Ma- spells prevent fatal blow blocks from your teammate.

It's pretty silly even starting off neutral advantage against these guys (they always come in packs), having Yosuke not really able to do anything to prevent them from going off outside of 25% chance Tentarafoo, and getting nuked 3 consecutive times by Maragi/Mazio, either killing your MC outright or killing/dazing the rest of your party.

Again, just try to secure Player Advantage in this dungeon all the time, and run a high Agility Persona on point, someone like Principality or something.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Echoing what ducttape said, but if you want a more RTS'y gangster game that isn't the godawful gangsters 2, try gangland. An overlooked gem in the gog.com library.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MrSquarepants posted:

What should I know about Persona 4 ? I'm thinking of getting it on PSN, am I missing a lot by not playing the vita version?(I don't own a vita). Should I play Persona 3 first?

Join the Drama club.

Do not join the Music club.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

KoldPT posted:

There are a couple on the wiki IIRC. I also remember the LP thread for it being pretty good, but it died and I don't have archives. Like, what characters should I focus more on, and how careful I should be with multiple saves and doing events before they expire.
There's actually another LP of it going right now!

Also, the game is far, far less cryptic and grudging about letting you save people than the first as long as you pursue it immediately. If you put events leading to saving people off (like searching for them or the like) for a while they'll die but there's no nonsense like the one to save Kaido and Keisuke from the first. The endings are also much, much more straightforward.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What should I know about Wild Arms 1? I feel like playing some PS1 JRPGs and this series seems like it has enough nutty bullshit to satisfy.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
What should I know about the MGS series ? I already started MGS 1 for a bit, I bought the anniversary collection.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

On that note, the December dungeon should be put off until 12/23 at least, as completing that one railroads you into the endgame.

Not quite. You need to wrap it up before the 23rd (I think the 21st of December is the final date) or you won't get the Christmas event. That nets you a very nice item for the last dungeon depending on who you invite over for Christmas Eve.

Two more things to add;
  • Grind out Intelligence as much as you can, and try to score top of your class in the Mid and End-of-Year exams. If you can come top of the year level in the results, talk to Nanako that evening and you'll get an SP-Cost-Reducing accessory as a reward.

• Check the refrigerator every night. You'll sometimes find something to eat, or have the opportunity to make lunch for the following day. Eating whatever you find will give a Courage boost, and making lunch will give you the opportunity to share it with a friend of your choice the following day for an S.Link boost (the amount boosted depends on how well you completed the recipe choices).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

legendsuper posted:

What should I know about the MGS series ? I already started MGS 1 for a bit, I bought the anniversary collection.

Play them in production order* and enjoy the ride! There's no other video game series with as much attention to detail as MGS. Call people on your codec after every event to get new insight on the story. Mess with the guards. Do funny things in front of bosses. If you can think of something creative in the MGS series, the game will probably reward you for it.

*Exception are the original two games which I can only recommend as a curiosity. Although MGS continues the story it's practically a reboot as it takes 90% of the level design and remakes it.

For specific tips to each game, I'll just mention things I wish I knew when I played for the first time.

MGS1
You can look at the software manual in the PSN interface while playing the game. If you get stuck early in the game, check out the last pages of the manual.

You can change the controller layout in the PSN interface including the controller port if necessary. MGS was designed around the d-pad and you'll find the game easier if you use it.

You can't run and fire normally but if you hold X while holding square then you can. This is really helpful during a long action scene.

After defeating Sniper Wolf for the first time save your game. There's a button mashing minigame and you can't save before it. The trick is to rub the tip of your finger over the circle button back and forth like you're scratching a dog's ear. Trying to mash it just won't work.

MGS2
Get used to the game's pressure sensitivity. If you push square down square too hard and release fast, you'll fire. Release slowly to put away your weapon.

Chaff grenades interrupt radio communications. If you get spotted and immediately throw a chaff, the enemy can't radio in backup.

The roll is the best attack. It always hits and you're probably going to knock out whoever is in your way. Unless they have a shield.

MGS3
There's a poo poo ton of secrets, easter eggs, and "they thought of everything" moments in this game. Radio everyone in each new area after each cutscene and while holding different items and camo, Sigint and Paramedic especially they're talking encyclopedias.

You use the d-pad to sneak. You can walk slowly by tilting the analog stick but if you get about 5 feet away from the enemy without sneaking they'll hear you.

Enemies are far more aggressive. If something is weird, like you shoot them with a tranq that doesn't instantly knock them out, they'll initiate a long rear end caution and call in reinforcements. At the same time there are multiple ways to subvert enemies. This is a very friendly game for action and stealth runs.

MGS4
If you've gone in order you should know what to expect in this game. Look up a guide on CQC because it's pretty robust.

You can shake the controller to remove your current camo. Changing from this "blank" state is a lot faster than if you have camo currently active.

Peace Walker
This game is a whole different ball park as it was designed as a co-op Monster Hunter style experience. Before I Play wiki has some stuff on this game but play it until you get frustrated then look up a guide for specific things.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

What should I know about Wild Arms 1? I feel like playing some PS1 JRPGs and this series seems like it has enough nutty bullshit to satisfy.
It's been a really long time since I played it, but one thing that still stands out is a duplication glitch in the game. If you care, it's here.

-Never upgrade the accuracy of Rudy's ARMs. He can spend FP to get perfect accuracy and it's nearly always available. Many ARMs don't need more bullets either unless you want to build it for more casual use.

-Crest graphs can be reused so feel free to experiment with them.

-Buffs and debuffs are pretty great in general.

-Secret Signs permanently reduce the cost of the selected Fast Draw by 1. You'll generally want to use them all on your favorite. Magnum Fang is a popular choice.

-Cecilia's Mystic ability turns nearly any single target item into a multi-target item. This has a lot of obvious applications, but pay close attention to the valid targets in your inventory. You can even use Mystic on some equipment! Need to use one of your precious Full Revives? Mystic turns it into a full party revive and HP restore item.

If you enjoy the game, Wild ARMs 2 is even better. It probably ties with WA5 on PS2 as my favorite.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Bussamove posted:

Join the Drama club.

Do not join the Music club.

That really is the lowest point of the game.

When it comes to P3, the question is whether you have the time or the patience to go through about 80 hours of grindy JRPG gameplay. There's some good stuff in that game, but the main dungeon is goddamn insufferable. P4 does a much better job of making the battle sequences engaging.

If you play through P4 and like the story, I'd pick up Persona 4 Arena over P3 as the next game to play.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
I'm replaying Mass Effect 3, since I just recently got all the DLCs. When are the 'best' times to start them?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Odd posted:

I'm replaying Mass Effect 3, since I just recently got all the DLCs. When are the 'best' times to start them?

From Ashes gets you a new team member who's pretty cool, so I'd do that first. You also get a very powerful rifle. Omega is very combat heavy, and not very interesting storywise, so it depends if you feel like fighting lots of dudes. Leviathan is also fine to start whenever, but I seem to remember some of the fights being a bit rough, so you might want to level up a bit. Citadel is like a christmas special episode of Mass Effect where things are a bit less serious, and it fits best after the main campaign is done.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd recommend just skipping both Sun Arcanas unless there's a Persona in them you really like.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Odd posted:

I am actually just now finishing up doing the same thing as you. I would do From Ashes as soon as possible. Omega can fit in the story anywhere, so don't stress too much about it, but it will also net you possibly the most powerful biotic bonus power in the game, which is Flare. It is super satisfying to use and has been helpful during the couple of difficulty spikes you get at points on Insanity. I was glad I got it early on. Leviathan should definitely be done some time after Thessia for story reasons. Definitely save Citadel for last. It's broken into two parts. You can do the first earlier if you want, and it nets you some nice equipment and whatnot if you care about that, but the second part should absolutely be the last thing you do. Most people seem to prefer doing that after finishing the game by reloading an earlier save. Having just completed the DLC last night, I'd say there's definitely something to be said for that. Citadel feels like a much better and more thoughtful goodbye than the actual ending of the game and I was sorry to see it end.

Oh, and make sure you have the Extended Cut DLC installed if you previously beat the game before it was released. The endings are still not good, but they are greatly improved to the point of being tolerable at least.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I am actually just now finishing up doing the same thing as you. I would do From Ashes as soon as possible. Omega can fit in the story anywhere, so don't stress too much about it, but it will also net you possibly the most powerful biotic bonus power in the game, which is Flare. It is super satisfying to use and has been helpful during the couple of difficulty spikes you get at points on Insanity. I was glad I got it early on. Leviathan should definitely be done some time after Thessia for story reasons. Definitely save Citadel for last. It's broken into two parts. You can do the first earlier if you want, and it nets you some nice equipment and whatnot if you care about that, but the second part should absolutely be the last thing you do. Most people seem to prefer doing that after finishing the game by reloading an earlier save. Having just completed the DLC last night, I'd say there's definitely something to be said for that. Citadel feels like a much better and more thoughtful goodbye than the actual ending of the game and I was sorry to see it end.

Oh, and make sure you have the Extended Cut DLC installed if you previously beat the game before it was released. The endings are still not good, but they are greatly improved to the point of being tolerable at least.

Sounds like a plan. This is also my Insanity run, I've been replaying the whole trilogy the past month or so getting all the achievements I missed (Level 60 on ME1, and Insanity on ME2, Insanity and the DLCs on ME3). I bought the N7 collector's edition or whatever it's called so I've always had From Ashes, and that's already done. Just finished Priority: Palaven, and I also meant to ask what the starting missions are for the DLCs. I got a double message from Aria, one of which I assume is the Omega DLC. I also got a message from Dr. Bryson, which I don't remember from before and assume it starts either Leviathan or The Citadel. Where would the missing DLC start point be?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Odd posted:

Sounds like a plan. This is also my Insanity run, I've been replaying the whole trilogy the past month or so getting all the achievements I missed (Level 60 on ME1, and Insanity on ME2, Insanity and the DLCs on ME3). I bought the N7 collector's edition or whatever it's called so I've always had From Ashes, and that's already done. Just finished Priority: Palaven, and I also meant to ask what the starting missions are for the DLCs. I got a double message from Aria, one of which I assume is the Omega DLC. I also got a message from Dr. Bryson, which I don't remember from before and assume it starts either Leviathan or The Citadel. Where would the missing DLC start point be?

Very nice. Yeah, when I pop the last two Insanity achievements for ME3 I will have completed all 3 games too. I still can't believe I did so many full completion runs on ME1.

The messages from Aria are indeed the start of Omega. The message from Dr. Bryson is the start of Leviathan. You won't get the opener for the Citadel DLC until you've finished the Priority: Citadel II mission. Anderson will send you a message you've never seen when it becomes available and you'll need to go to a new place on the Citadel to begin.

EDIT - Actually, I think the message is from Hackett, but it will reference Anderson.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 13, 2014

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Sentient Toaster covered a bit, but I'll try to recall a few more.

-The Randomizer Spell is extremely powerful. Get it when you unlock that crest tier.

-The game has super bosses and a hidden dungeon. Throughout the game you'll get hints as to how you unlock the hidden dungeon. Minor spoilers: You just need to use Rudy's Power Glove Tool while using an Elw teleporter.

-If you want to 100% the game, donate 100k for the restoration to get an item you need unlock some ruins near Baskar.

-Jack's Divide Shot is handy for some bosses and the arena.

-Use Lucky Cards on rare Bunny monsters. Don't waste them on bosses unless you're desperate.

-Password spoilers: When you revisit the dungeon where you get to name Jack, the password is 'Emiko'. You'll find another console later before fighting Boomerang, the password for this one is 'Metal Bird'. The Demon Lab password is fairly simple, 'Demon Gate'.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Persona 4 is one of those games that if you actually cataloged everything in this thread you could probably write a novel on the wiki. Just search the thread at this point, the info you're looking for is almost certainly already there. Really, all I want to say is that play Golden on the Vita if possible. I could never go back to the PS2 version after all of the quality of life improvements and the Jester S. Link.

I'll also go out on a limb and say this: completely ignore Death, Hanged Man, and Moon your first time through. And you only need to work on Strength, Sun, Devil, and Temperance until you max out your social stats. If you ignore Death/Hanged Man/Moon completely you will have more time than you will know what to do with and should be able to relax scheduling-wise.

KoldPT posted:

Like theshim said, pretty much everything to do with getting the endings and who needs to be saved when is pretty explicit and should be obvious to you as you play. Things like "I ignored Keita, didn't get his Fate high enough, and he didn't join me in the endgame". Or "I gave Ronaldo the finger and joined with Yamato so obviously I got Yamato's ending." You'll want to play through the game a couple times to unlock more NG+ content anyway, so you will assuredly get a good feel for who to focus on and when. It only gets tricky when you try to get the Triumphant ending, which involves getting one of Daichi's endings with everyone alive and joining you. To do this you obviously should prevent people dying in missions and should get their Fate to Level 4 or higher... the trick is that you don't need to do this for the characters who join you in Daichi's ending no matter what, so you could ignore them if you want (as well as ignore the Anguished One, as he doesn't join you in that ending).

This is more my opinion than anything else, but I would go out of my way to get Fumi, Otome, and Jungo to level 4 so they always join you. While Physical attacks are much better in this game than DS1, there are only so many good ones to hand out so you might as well give them to one character (Jungo) and fill the rest of your party slots with high magic characters (Fumi and Otome).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 14, 2014

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Nate RFB posted:

Like theshim said, pretty much everything to do with getting the endings and who needs to be saved when is pretty explicit and should be obvious to you as you play. Things like "I ignored Keita, didn't get his Fate high enough, and he didn't join me in the endgame". Or "I gave Ronaldo the finger and joined with Yamato so obviously I got Yamato's ending." You'll want to play through the game a couple times to unlock more NG+ content anyway, so you will assuredly get a good feel for who to focus on and when. It only gets tricky when you try to get the Triumphant ending, which involves getting one of Daichi's endings with everyone alive and joining you. To do this you obviously should prevent people dying in missions and should get their Fate to Level 4 or higher... the trick is that you don't need to do this for the characters who join you in Daichi's ending no matter what, so you could ignore them if you want (as well as ignore the Anguished One, as he doesn't join you in that ending).

This is more my opinion than anything else, but I would go out of my way to get Fumi, Otome, and Jungo to level 4 so they always join you. While Physical attacks are much better in this game than DS1, there are only so many good ones to hand out so you might as well give them to one character (Jungo) and fill the rest of your party slots with high magic characters (Fumi and Otome).

Basically, always do stuff pertaining to saving someone ASAP. If you put things off until the very last second, you might find there are multiple events you still need to trigger to save them, and not enough time to do so.

Like with pretty much every SMT, always be fusing. Demons are designed to last only so many levels before their exp requirements explode, so be prepared to absolutely love a demon today and destroy him tomorrow.

Multi-Hit (and later, Multi-Strike) transforms characters with high STR/AGI from unimpressive to beastly (to godly). Daichi and Hinako go from being lead weights to potentially the most lethal characters on your team. When you find demons with the skill, try to pass it along from fusion to fusion so you can make use of any STR/AGI demons you come across later.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A couple of other Devil Survivor 2 points:

- Io gets outclassed by about Day 3/4, so don't feel too bad about sidelining her for one of the other magic-based characters
- Daichi, meanwhile, remains solid throughout the game, especially if you load him up with your best melee attacks.
- The best way to play the game is to do story missions first, then go around and talk to people. That way, you'll save everyone ASAP.
- There's also a 'friendship points' system behind the scenes, a la P3&4, so be sure to tell them the kind of stuff they want to hear: Joe likes silly options, Daichi likes being supported, Io likes being asked her opinion and if she's okay, etc. Not every choice will impact them, but there's usually one or two options per conversation that will give you points.
- Don't feel like you have to scrimp and save your magic. You get a free refill after every fight, so let those Agidynes fly!
- Finally, choose to go Magic or Strength on your MC and stick with it. An all-round character just winds up being one weak in multiple areas, and in this game, that's a liability. For every 3-4 points you put in Str/Mag, put one or two in Agi/Vi. Those last two are equally useful (unless you're beelining for certain skills), so a point in either of those is not one that's wasted.

Edit:

- Also, make sure your MC gets the final hit on bosses if you can. Bosses drop a shitload of experience, and the higher the level of your MC, the more demons you can fuse, so having him a level or two higher generally makes a good deal of sense.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 15, 2014

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Anything to know about The Witch and the Hundred Knight?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Anachronox. The wiki has basically nothing

I've read the explanation thread:
http://www.gog.com/forum/anachronox/elementor_explenation

But still can't quite figure out these two things:
1. Can I get different elementor builds for different party members, and how?
2. How exactly do I build an elementor layout that allows me to cast spells at several enemies at once?
3. What kind of magic can I use to heal my party, and how?

As an aside not related to magic - I finally got Sly's ultimate lockpick skill, but when I try to open the chest in his office, I only have 10 seconds to do so - which seems impossible. What am I missing?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Legend of Dragoon? I just picked it up and want to start playing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sociopastry posted:

Legend of Dragoon? I just picked it up and want to start playing.
The tips on the Wiki were under "The Legend of Dragoon". :shrug:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That's really weird, as it's just Legend of Dragoon on the box art. Anyway, about the tips on the wiki- when it says to max out an addition before moving on, does that mean in the game/story, or just onto the next addition? Does anything bad happen if I don't get all the stardusts?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sociopastry posted:

That's really weird, as it's just Legend of Dragoon on the box art. Anyway, about the tips on the wiki- when it says to max out an addition before moving on, does that mean in the game/story, or just onto the next addition? Does anything bad happen if I don't get all the stardusts?
As soon as you get a new addition (it's usually plot-triggered), make sure to master any others you have. Or master the new one as soon as you get it. But one of those two, definitely.

If you don't get them all, you miss the opportunity for the Disc 3 Superboss, and some unique items.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Not getting all the stardusts is depressing when you realize what you're missing out on.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Sociopastry posted:

That's really weird, as it's just Legend of Dragoon on the box art.

There's a THE on there :ssh:

Unless we're talking some crazy foreign art I haven't seen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How about Space Rangers HD? I checked the wiki and didn't see anything. Got it in the weekly sale and man, its confusing so far. The tutorial didn't help much "Go here, but we're not gonna tell you HOW to go there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Yip Yips posted:

There's a THE on there :ssh:

Unless we're talking some crazy foreign art I haven't seen.

Nope, I'm a dumbass. Didn't even see the the. Also, what exactly am I missing if I don't get the stardusts? just a secret boss?