Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Considering that in 1899, the Spiders were basically torn apart by the Robinson brothers (the owners). They traded their best players to the St. Louis Cardinals who were owned by...the Robinson Brothers.

They then proceeded to have the worst season, losing 134 games, which still hasn't been topped. They lost 101 games on the road. Their home attendance would make Marlin games look like Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Anyway bring back the Cleveland Naps.

Spiders is a pretty kick-rear end name, though. Plus you can do lots of cool photo shoots where you have 8 batters holding out their bats. Reclaim the glory of the Spiders name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

I brought this up in another thread, and people keep bringing it up across the internet. Why? Because Spiders is an awesome name that really should be used immediately, and is already the best possible nickname not used in the four major sports (now that Pelicans has been taken).

I have an idea - Cleveland sucks at naming sports teams.

The MLB team is the Indians, a nickname introduced with a racist cartoon in the local paper on the day it was announced.

The NFL team is the Browns, named after a team legend, but their logo is an plain orange helmet. Not a brown helmet, or anything brown at all. Really, it's like if the Indians logo wasn't Chief Wahoo, but another racist caricature of a completely out of left field ethnicity.

The NBA team is the Cavaliers, which, really, what the gently caress. These guys below are the most intimidating mascots in Cleveland major sports.

Other names for the Cleveland NBA franchise could have been the Jays, Foresters, or Presidents. Jays could've been a little weak, Presidents would've been rad, but Foresters would have been amazing. Why? The Cavs' longtime arena, the Richfield Coliseum, was built in the middle of what's now the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. A team could've played in a cool arena in the middle of a treasured national forest, with a name to match. Instead, they're named after a group of Frenchmen who wore ridiculously stupid outfits.

In short, Cleveland needs to stop naming teams, and let the rest of us name them for the city.

Lest we forget the Cleveland Rockers WNBA franchise?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ElwoodCuse posted:

This thread's namesake is on Twitter right now blaming the Pittsburgh school stabbing on anti-bullying hysteria, the lack of male teachers, harsher punishments for in-school fighting, and the lack of armed security guards. This is a new low even for garbage like him.

I forget who it was, but someone after Newtown wrote 100% unironically that children need to be trained to rush shooters since a herd of 30 1st graders can probably bring down a shooter with fewer casualties than most school shootings have.

Nice to see that sportswriters can get in on the idiocy too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FairGame posted:

I forget who it was, but someone after Newtown wrote 100% unironically that children need to be trained to rush shooters since a herd of 30 1st graders can probably bring down a shooter with fewer casualties than most school shootings have.

Nice to see that sportswriters can get in on the idiocy too.
That was Megan McArdle

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Canadian journalist Roy MacGregor pulls the "Augusta is charmingly old-fashioned" card, dismisses the discrimination against black people and women in a couple quick paragraphs as "controvers[ies]" that "could not hold." I don't know if I'm just being sensitive but I can't untangle old-fashioned charm from the oppression with which it was bundled.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mozza posted:

Canadian journalist Roy MacGregor pulls the "Augusta is charmingly old-fashioned" card, dismisses the discrimination against black people and women in a couple quick paragraphs as "controvers[ies]" that "could not hold." I don't know if I'm just being sensitive but I can't untangle old-fashioned charm from the oppression with which it was bundled.
I swear there's one of these every year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Masters is the loving worst, even by the incredibly low standards of "televised golf". Not only are you watching people golf, which is an inherently idiotic pursuit that no one under the age of 75 should engage in, but you are watching the most smug and self-important sporting event in entire world. Everyone please stop.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The US Open is fun when they do it in the northeast and all the jackasses come out to heckle the golfers and the stuffy broadcasters get really upset and indignant about it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

The Masters is the loving worst, even by the incredibly low standards of "televised golf". Not only are you watching people golf, which is an inherently idiotic pursuit that no one under the age of 75 should engage in, but you are watching the most smug and self-important sporting event in entire world. Everyone please stop.

Scorching hot take.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think golf is actually very cool. Racism, and sexism are both bad, though.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Now I disagree. I'm a fan of racist, and sexist, thinking & organizational policy. But golf is boring to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Scorching hot take.

Of course you would like loving golf.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

MourningView posted:

Oh come on, it can't be that bad MV.

RickReilly posted:

• Stall Steward -- At the Masters, the service never stops, even when a "patron" takes a bathroom break. As you enter the on-course men's room, a kind of urinal wrangler greets you and directs you to the latest opening. "Got two in the back row!" a guy was hollering in the restroom near the 11th hole Thursday. "Back row, no waiting!"

It's a great job if you like telling people where to go.

If you require an actual stall, there is a kind of commode concierge, who invites you forward.

"Here you are, sir!" 18-year-old blue-blazered Carlos Ruiz was beckoning Thursday, as though he was finding you a table at Sardi's. "Come on in!"

Then Ruiz went in first, spritzed disinfectant on the seats and wiped it off before standing aside to let the invitee enter, then closed the door afterward. He did everything but shout encouragement. And he had his deodorizer (strawberry) ready for the follow-up.

Same deal in the women's bathroom, where, outside, a woman named Ellen Luchtel of Napa, Calif., was flabbergasted. "I've been to three-star Michelin restaurants," Luchtel gushed. "And even they didn't do that for me."

Pay: $7.25 (minimum wage), but time and a half after 40 hours. And Ruiz guessed he would work 84 hours this week.

"It's worth it," says Ruiz, who is saving his money in hopes of attending Georgia Southern next year, where he wants to play first base and pitch.

Wonder if he'll bring the spritzer to the dugout?

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10756723/reilly-put-augusta-your-resume

Nevermind, it is that bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I actually legit enjoy watching golf on the final day because of all the people who gently caress up massively and start melting down. I would think any sports fan can enjoy failure.

It just sucks that Tiger is not there so we can't hear Tiger heckling himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubp9LwSVSh0

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think golf is actually very cool. Racism, and sexism are both bad, though.

I agree with this post.

My friends are all in their 20's and have really taken to golf oddly enough.

I'd like to give it a shot one day, but I've really never tried it myself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I actually legit enjoy watching golf on the final day because of all the people who gently caress up massively and start melting down. I would think any sports fan can enjoy failure.

That is definitely the coolest part about golf, seeing someone go deer-in-headlights over a couple of hours. Failing in golf is more painful to watch than failing in almost any other sport.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Golfing is fun as heck to actually do (and when I say "golfing" I of course mean "getting super drunk and driving recklessly in golf carts"). My issue is only with watching it on television, which is the worst sort of old man thing to do.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
What's even worse is all the stories about the assholes that watch and then call up the PGA or whatever to bitch about and report people breaking the rules and how they have to be penalized like how loving sad is your life

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jota posted:

What's even worse is all the stories about the assholes that watch and then call up the PGA or whatever to bitch about and report people breaking the rules and how they have to be penalized like how loving sad is your life
The best part about that was that the person who called up the PGA to report Tiger breaking the rules was JIM NANTZ

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

Didn't it turn out that the guy who snitched on Tiger was Jim Nantz? That was hilarious. It is the most Jim Nantz thing imaginable.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
You have got to be making GBS threads me...

If only one of you had said that I'd have seriously thought you were joking because that's just too amazing. What a douche

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Didn't it turn out that the guy who snitched on Tiger was Jim Nantz? That was hilarious. It is the most Jim Nantz thing imaginable.

There is no better pairing of broadcaster and event than Jim Nantz and the Masters. They were made for each other.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Of course you would like loving golf.

I actually completely agree with all of your points and don't understand why people watch golf on television, but it was a pretty strong take. I'm only in favor of sports where people need to execute tasks with exceptional skill while I can drink beer and scream at Starlin Castro why don't you move to England where you can be around thousands of people like you who don't know how to play baseball.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 12, 2014

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I came to see what everyone thought of the Bag Man piece on SBNation(I LIKED IT) but surprisingly nobody has posted it yet. I'm sure it was discussed in some NCAA thread somewhere but in case you didn't see it check it out:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Here's my favorite quote:

SEC Bag Man posted:

"Hey, how'd he get that ride? His uncle bought it. How did his uncle buy it? Paid cash. Paid cash, how'd he do that? poo poo, we don't know, but here's the receipt where he paid cash, and now y'all ain't got poo poo. Go tell the NCAA you think we're cheating because this kid's uncle bought him a used Tahoe in cash, you racist."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I actually completely agree with all of your points and don't understand why people watch golf on television, but it was a pretty strong take. I'm only in favor of sports where people need to execute tasks with exceptional skill while I can drink beer and scream at Starlin Castro why don't you move to England where you can be around thousands of people like you who don't know how to play baseball.

I spit hot fire.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If you think golf on TV is bad, back when I was a teenager on my paper route, my dad came across a radio station in the car where we couldn't figure out what in the gently caress was going on, and it turned that it was golf.

Golf

On the radio

It was the LPGA Skins Game

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Golfing is fun as heck to actually do (and when I say "golfing" I of course mean "getting super drunk and driving recklessly in golf carts"). My issue is only with watching it on television, which is the worst sort of old man thing to do.

The only glimmer of pleasure in my joyless, bland existence is going to an awesome driving range that has a full menu and bar, and they bring the food and beer right to your tee. The balls have microchips in them and there's "greens" all over the range with sensors tracking your distance and accuracy. It is literally the best.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mob posted:

I came to see what everyone thought of the Bag Man piece on SBNation(I LIKED IT) but surprisingly nobody has posted it yet. I'm sure it was discussed in some NCAA thread somewhere but in case you didn't see it check it out:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Here's my favorite quote:

This article is fascinating

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't really doubt that a lot of that stuff happens. But I also think that anyone who considers themselves a "bag man" would exaggerate what it is they do and their importance to a program.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 13, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Politicalrancor posted:

This article is fascinating
I was struck by two things:

1) The way that the under-the-table money people can drive a coach or AD out of their job just by suspending their payments, as suddenly the team starts losing recruits to other programs. Something to think about the next time you hear about a school that had an unusually bad recruiting class or two. Yet another thing to hate about being a big-time football coach - the way a bunch of shadowy money people that you'll never meet have an effective veto on your job.

2) The way that all those kids who graduate with semi-joke degrees in Physical Fitness are actually put to work as coaches in local high schools, becoming part of a network for their former program, identifying talent and steering towards their alma mater (and getting a nice percentage when they get a four or five star recruit to sign).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

My dad took me golfing this weekend because he's old and rich and that's just what we do now I guess but I had way more fun getting lovely at the driving range afterwards so I think if golf switched to some sort of home run derby format but with drives and heckling they could capture that elusive 18-49 demo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Driving ranges are rad. I live a couple hundred yards from one so I will occasionally wander over with just a driver and then hit bucket after bucket of huge, majestic slices, never improving in the slightest. It is very zen. But you can't do drunk donuts on a golf cart on a driving range and that is a pretty essential part of the experience.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

My dad took me golfing this weekend because he's old and rich and that's just what we do now I guess but I had way more fun getting lovely at the driving range afterwards so I think if golf switched to some sort of home run derby format but with drives and heckling they could capture that elusive 18-49 demo

You are definitely in the target audience of this place:

I can beat people pretty badly because they go for the long drives that get more points, whereas I am reliable enough with a pitching wedge to employ a death by paper cuts strategy.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 13, 2014

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, this owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bTXwmg2e4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Where is this and when are we going I'll get my clubs.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

This, much like the actual home run derby, is fun in theory and incredibly boring in practice.

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

They'd have to employ the old darts strategy where everyone was just crushing beers on camera in between rounds

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

This, much like the actual home run derby, is fun in theory and incredibly boring in practice.

That video should honestly be about 30 seconds long. I just wanna see dudes crush golf balls and occasionally flip out about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

C. Everett Koop posted:

Where is this and when are we going I'll get my clubs.

It's called Top Golf. They've got a few locations nationwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

I can beat people pretty badly because they go for the long drives that get more points, whereas I am reliable enough with a pitching wedge to employ a death by paper cuts strategy.

goddammit, sash, is there no aspect of your life where you are not as lame as possible