Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Mahoning posted:

Yes, that is exactly my point. The organization is not an independent being. It is made up of people, many of whom now think gay marriage is a normal thing that should be supported.

The argument that companies didn't care 10 years ago is somewhat true, my argument is that those companies aren't made up of the same people they were ten years ago, and even if they are, it is possible those people have changed their minds about gay marriage. Whoever made the original argument I think was trying to imply that either these companies are hypocritical (which is dumb, for reasons I just went over), or that they're doing it because its the cool thing to do, which I'd argue doesn't really matter since the effect that the inclusion of gay couples (and bi-racial couples, etc) has on those people doesn't really take intent into consideration. Unless you're a cynical rear end in a top hat like whoever made that argument, I guess.

You are projecting too much into it. This is a commercial, not made to show "Look people, we support gay/interracial marriage" it's more about "If we make a commercial showing gay/interracial couples, that is a sizable, growing potential customer market whom will be more inclined to purchase our products". It's not some profound social statement on the part of the upper management of a cookie company. It's a calculated marketing tool. What they think/care about the issue of gay/interracial marriage is irrelevant. As with all commercialization, the goal is "How can we get more people to buy our product?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

DerekSmartymans posted:

I really miss Craig Kilborn doing The Daily Show.

Ditto. It actually played like a news program, rather than the bad comedy show that Stewart puts on.
I also miss Not Necessarily the News.

trunkwontopen posted:

I've seen 2 types of these commercials, each one signifying a completely different set of side effects. And yes, the one that mentioned death still wanted you to call them if you have died and are interested in getting a portion of their lawsuit winnings.

You just know that lawyers check obits and try to find out even unrelated things that the deceased took part in to attempt lawsuits.
Hmmm, this here guy used preparation-h around the time he had heart failure. Better make a commercial!

SpacePig posted:

I think I just saw an ad suggesting that Snickers Bites weren't invented in the 70s because it was a suggestion made by a black man. I seriously can't interpret it any other way.

I've seen other comments like this in this thread. Is it possible for commercials to have a black person in them without cries of racism? Christ sake people.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 7, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nerdfest X posted:

You are projecting too much into it. This is a commercial, not made to show "Look people, we support gay/interracial marriage" it's more about "If we make a commercial showing gay/interracial couples, that is a sizable, growing potential customer market whom will be more inclined to purchase our products". It's not some profound social statement on the part of the upper management of a cookie company. It's a calculated marketing tool. What they think/care about the issue of gay/interracial marriage is irrelevant. As with all commercialization, the goal is "How can we get more people to buy our product?".

Regardless of whether or not you think it is a strictly cold and calculating move (probably not on the creative side likely on the client side) the ad itself reinforces the notion that these couples are all equally valid which is positive. You're right that what they think is fundamentally irrelevant because whatever their position they've decided that the "correct" position is that of including such individuals. I don't think its wrong to say "x company is greedy so it used a more inclusive group of people to try to expand their audience and thats a good thing"

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Barudak posted:

Regardless of whether or not you think it is a strictly cold and calculating move (probably not on the creative side likely on the client side) the ad itself reinforces the notion that these couples are all equally valid which is positive. You're right that what they think is fundamentally irrelevant because whatever their position they've decided that the "correct" position is that of including such individuals. I don't think its wrong to say "x company is greedy so it used a more inclusive group of people to try to expand their audience and thats a good thing"

Equally valid consumers, nothing more. If this were a "title loan" company targeting gay couples, or a divorce lawyer, the motivation wouldn't be any different. There's just a new customer base. It sounds like you've embraced the cynical truth behind it (that finally they get to lump themselves in with the rest of us suckers) but posters acting like it's anything else are fooling themselves.

That said, it is a good sign.

Fog Tripper posted:

I've seen other comments like this in this thread. Is it possible for commercials to have a black person in them without cries of racism? Christ sake people.

What's funny is I'd never seen the ad until I read that comment, and entirely interpreted it that way at first (until I got the jist of it).

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 7, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Gaunab posted:

Miracle Whip is sticking to the idea that they're mayo alternative is for "badasses" with these strange commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gnf_NEliYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Won8Lx-hVrU

I like the what the gently caress are you doing look everyone has when the dishes are walked in.

At least they've not brought back the fatass neckbeard spewing with a mouthful of bread and miracle whip.

Yet.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Capn Beeb posted:

At least they've not brought back the fatass neckbeard spewing with a mouthful of bread and miracle whip.

Yet.

Is it any better, now they got The Dude from Big Lebowski who's all like "Now that I brought my famous artichoke dip, *NOW*, we can get this party started! All the other rear end in a top hat dips can just GTFO". It's probably poo poo though. Miracle Whip/artichoke doesn't sound that fantastic.

And then we got Abby from NCIS clone: "Hehe, I made deviled eggs and brought them to the church social. Get it? DEVILED eggs. I'm so wicked" Sure, Abby. Except you are going to a church social. Not very edgy.

And this whole campaign is based on the premise of "Many people really dislike our product, but some people love it. You should try it too" which is OK except for the 1st part: "Many people dislike our product"

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I really hate those two AT&T engineering guys. Smug Prick and Awkward Nerd, ugh.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Nerdfest X posted:

Is it any better, now they got The Dude from Big Lebowski who's all like "Now that I brought my famous artichoke dip, *NOW*, we can get this party started! All the other rear end in a top hat dips can just GTFO". It's probably poo poo though. Miracle Whip/artichoke doesn't sound that fantastic.

And then we got Abby from NCIS clone: "Hehe, I made deviled eggs and brought them to the church social. Get it? DEVILED eggs. I'm so wicked" Sure, Abby. Except you are going to a church social. Not very edgy.

And this whole campaign is based on the premise of "Many people really dislike our product, but some people love it. You should try it too" which is OK except for the 1st part: "Many people dislike our product"

Well yeah they're both stupid ads, as is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZUQgxOQU90

But so far there hasn't been one featuring a low rent Jonah Hill with an abysmal pubeforest coating his chins while he talks around a sandwich that's more miracle whip than bread, crumbs and white globules dotting his face.

Yet. This ad campaign is still keeping to ~*hip young things*~, but it's also trendy to look like poo poo, so it's more or less a matter of time.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Gaunab posted:

Miracle Whip is sticking to the idea that they're mayo alternative is for "badasses" with these strange commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gnf_NEliYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Won8Lx-hVrU

I like the what the gently caress are you doing look everyone has when the dishes are walked in.

Why on earth would you put Miracle Whip in artichoke dip? That sounds horrible.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
This one is what they are really implying. Or worse. Not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqXoFHZW_J4

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I hate that stupid "Framily" commercial where the dad is a hamster for some reason. So many underlying questions: Why did the mom marry a hamster? Why did she gently caress a hamster multiple times? Why aren't the kids some sort of strange human/hamster hybrid? Was the Dad a normal person and then a witch put a spell on him that turned him into a hamster?

My head hurts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Retail Slave posted:

I hate that stupid "Framily" commercial where the dad is a hamster for some reason. So many underlying questions: Why did the mom marry a hamster? Why did she gently caress a hamster multiple times? Why aren't the kids some sort of strange human/hamster hybrid? Was the Dad a normal person and then a witch put a spell on him that turned him into a hamster?

My head hurts.

I thought the whole joke with that is that you can invite anyone to your "family" plan, including your friends (so "Framily").

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

Was the Dad a normal person and then a witch put a spell on him that turned him into a hamster?

Well if that's what happened, I'd change my opinion of the commercials.

Dad was a perfectly good human until that gypsy woman came along

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

computer parts posted:

I thought the whole joke with that is that you can invite anyone to your "family" plan, including your friends (so "Framily").

It's still a terrible "joke", though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dunno if this plays national or not, but there is a really terrible Speedway (gas station) ad with a white rapper singing about their food...really badly and with the worst lipsync. It tries to even go faster at one point with no success.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Sash! posted:

Well if that's what happened, I'd change my opinion of the commercials.

Dad was a perfectly good human until that gypsy woman came along

Dad was Dice Clay so I wouldn't call him a perfectly good human.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Retail Slave posted:

My head hurts.

The commercial bugs me because I recognize the actress who plays the mom, but I can't remember from where and it bugs the crap out of me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Its Judy Greer, who coincidentally has a book entitled "I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star"

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

computer parts posted:

It is. The guy says "You're my frather, I'm your fron, and this is our framily." None of them are related but they can all be on the same plan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Speaking of family plan commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNjBXXAMTck

That blond chick creeps me out. I expect to see her crawl out of my television covered in mud.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a funny little bit in the band one where after the one dude fist bumps "Sketchy Jeff" he wipes his hand on his shirt.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Arschlochkind posted:

It is. The guy says "You're my frather, I'm your fron, and this is our framily." None of them are related but they can all be on the same plan.

It would make this point more clearly without a talking guido hamster. I think he is what's throwing people off.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hate to say it, but the muppets ad with them singing about the car is starting to get annoying. It a funny ad, but it now playing every commercial break and starting to annoy me. Shame since it a generally a good ad, and it has the Swedish Chef in it.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
That's not how it works.
That's not how any of it works.
I unfriend you.
Shrug.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Theres a lovely kmart Easter commercial with annoying kids humming and singing stupid poo poo and it just gets louder and louder it sounds like a nintendo game commercial or something but nope.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Rirse posted:

Hate to say it, but the muppets ad with them singing about the car is starting to get annoying. It a funny ad, but it now playing every commercial break and starting to annoy me. Shame since it a generally a good ad, and it has the Swedish Chef in it.

If we can figure out a way to attach the dynamo, we could solve the world's energy problems thanks to how hard Jim Henson must be spinning in his grave. I can never forget and never forgive Disney for their corrupting influence.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
HOLY JESUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VutpSI0Jhc8

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LeJackal posted:

If we can figure out a way to attach the dynamo, we could solve the world's energy problems thanks to how hard Jim Henson must be spinning in his grave. I can never forget and never forgive Disney for their corrupting influence.

Because Jim Henson would never even think of monetizing the Muppets...? :confused:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Who's feeling predatory now that Microsoft is no longer supporting XP? I know I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK-R2rCJFM

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

raditts posted:

Because Jim Henson would never even think of monetizing the Muppets...? :confused:

I could be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing the Muppets in a commercial trying to sell a product that wasn't their own until this car commercial.

edit: Oh, they did a lipton tea commercial too, but that was from last month?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

I could be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing the Muppets in a commercial trying to sell a product that wasn't their own until this car commercial.

Jim Henson was making commercials with Muppets before the Muppets were an actual thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bfdaR4xMeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLyuw5bdyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7BlsSzHVQ

He made a lot of non-puppet commercials too. The Paperwork Explosion is so drat great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IZw2CoYztk

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The commercial for Dark Souls 2 is way too intense for a game autistic nerds obsess over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

The commercial for Dark Souls 2 is way too intense for a game autistic nerds obsess over.

It seems kind of pointless considering it doesn't actually have any gameplay footage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I saw this ad on TV with the misses and both of us were basically screaming at it to stop. We couldn't change the channel, either, we were just transfixed with horror.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

LeJackal posted:

Jim Henson must be spinning in his grave.

He is also pumping his fist up and down, saying "Cha-ching! Cha-ching!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Any MLB Network watchers in here? I like watching it after midnight for the reviews of the previous day's games (Quick Pitch), but the commercials for Intentional Talk almost make me not want to watch it. You know, the ones where Kevin Millar shouts, like an opera singer, his awful ESPN-inspired catchphrase: "GOT HEEEEEEEEEEEEM!"

I hated that idiot when he played baseball and I certainly don't like him now.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

muscles like this? posted:

It seems kind of pointless considering it doesn't actually have any gameplay footage.

This is like half of all game commercials, if not more

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vicas posted:

This is like half of all game commercials, if not more
Kinda says a lot about today's video games that it's better to not show the gameplay in commercials.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I'm so glad that Heineken decided to make their own lol-so-wacky-what-will-happen-next commercial just like Budweiser, except without Arnold Schwarzeneggar playing ping-pong (the best part of the other one by far) and about 300% more obnoxious and fake. This isn't sad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Notgothic posted:

I'm so glad that Heineken decided to make their own lol-so-wacky-what-will-happen-next commercial just like Budweiser, except without Arnold Schwarzeneggar playing ping-pong (the best part of the other one by far) and about 300% more obnoxious and fake. This isn't sad at all.

Wow, that is some dinner theatre level poo poo acting there.