Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That loving gun. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy
Hibiki's seiyuu appears to be someone named Ryu Murakami. It's not pulling up any results though, so this is probably one of his first major roles, like Tomokazu Sugita as Bullet in alpha.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rascyc posted:

I still have no idea who his voice actor is. I did a google search and it turned up a name that led no where, so I assume it was a translation mistake.

He's a new seiyuu.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There are a billion new portraits. There are multiple portraits just for "Shinji and Asuka lie in the dark and talk."
Then again, some of the new portraits for Shinn and Kira are downright hilarious. Shinn's default SEED mode portrait (seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ykSzyhDT0) is pretty much "I SHALL STARE INTO YOUR SOUL".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, SEED mode basically always looks like that. Just look at Lacus's seed-mode cut in.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The running theory is that he's pissed that Kamille gets to hang out with all his friends while he's stuck with Jesus and no Luna.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What reason does the game give for all the SEED characters being somewhere else? Also Shin and Kamille are best bros after Z1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did anyone see that new pilot ability called Half Cut? It reduces incoming damage by 50% if the chance to hit was under 30%. I'm gonna give it to some characters with high dodge/low hp robots, maybe it will reduce their deaths by lucky shots.

edit: I used the custom soundtrack feature to change the Maximum Break music to Bokura no Hisotensoku. My god, what have I done...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2014

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The thing that is easy to miss about Maximum Break is that it breaks all barriers and defensive bonuses, which makes it absolutely hilarious against, say, a certain early-game shithead who uses a Lambda Driver.

The best part is that the game straight up tells you to do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The best part is that the game straight up tells you to do that.

Yeah, that boss fight is basically a "do you know about Maximum Break? We're gonna make sure you do" tutorial, which is hilarious considering they give you another tutorial on it earlier and one of the earlier skill points is "Do a Maximum Break."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I would translate what Kaname said as like "you have to do the MAXIMUMEST BREAK EVER! DO YOU UNDERSTAND??"

edit: also the conversation right before there was awkward as hell to listen to, when Kurtz got all happy imagining it. Goddamn, Kurtz.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 12, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that boss fight is basically a "do you know about Maximum Break? We're gonna make sure you do" tutorial, which is hilarious considering they give you another tutorial on it earlier and one of the earlier skill points is "Do a Maximum Break."

I think the Gauron "Hey Maximum Break Him Idiot" tutorial is the best of them though because it really hammers in how loving useful they can be with their unique properties, whereas the early tutorials were mostly "I guess I can play fancy music when I blow up this unit".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

True suffering:

A three-way path split where each of your top three aces is going a different route.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I like that they finally added cut-ins for a lot of pilots since Z2.

Not sure why CC gets a dynamic kill though! Those wacky Code Geass fans.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWyROBa0sEY
Celestial Being: The Movie sequence and most of stage 5.

Oddly enough, the CB members in the movie actually are given proper names: Michael (movie Setsuna), Warren (their Lockon), Jennifer (Allelujah's replacement), and Orson (aka "Black Tieria").

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That event is great its now Celestial Being (and Zexis) The Movie. It also sets up Kouji's interaction with Gauron in the later stage lol.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 13, 2014

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWyROBa0sEY
Celestial Being: The Movie sequence and most of stage 5.

Oddly enough, the CB members in the movie actually are given proper names: Michael (movie Setsuna), Warren (their Lockon), Jennifer (Allelujah's replacement), and Orson (aka "Black Tieria").

He'll always be Georgios Laertius to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was hoping they'd give Celestial Being: The Movie an actual animation. :smith:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They, they have so much VO for the rugby thing in FMP. Why??? It this where all the animation budget went?! Wait no, that money was all spent on Bonta-kun.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 13, 2014

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So uh... now that the game is out, there's nothing wrong with the Vita version right? I mean, I've got a PS3, but I don't turn it on as much since the PS4 came out, but I still bring my Vita to work and stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Revitalized posted:

So uh... now that the game is out, there's nothing wrong with the Vita version right? I mean, I've got a PS3, but I don't turn it on as much since the PS4 came out, but I still bring my Vita to work and stuff.

All reports say they're functionally identical with a little bit more load time on the Vita version due to heavy cartridge compression.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in any comparisons. I'd rather have the Vita version because it's $10 cheaper and the game did some annoying cost-cutting in putting a portable game on a console, and I'd prefer to not pay more for a version that offers no actual advantages.

EDIT: Derp. How's audio on Vita? Lostconfused mentioned voices seemed low earlier, I think.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

EDIT: Derp. How's audio on Vita? Lostconfused mentioned voices seemed low earlier, I think.

Default volume on the vita version is too low. I bumped it up two notches in the menu, which I think brings it closer to the volume in Z2 games. I still think they sound a bit too compressed, but I can't be sure since I don't have PS3 version to directly compare with yet.

Edit: By compressed I mean there is a bit of a hiss or distortion during some parts of the voice over in attack animations. Its hard to be sure, but to me the PSP games don't have that and sound better in comparison.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The rarity of Hot Blood/Soul in this is pretty odd although Maximum Break makes up for a lot of it. Asuka doesn't get either, although she's admittedly Rebuild Asuka and not classic flavor.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just to confirm, we're all talking about Z3 here, right? I'm about three games behind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The rarity of Hot Blood/Soul in this is pretty odd although Maximum Break makes up for a lot of it. Asuka doesn't get either, although she's admittedly Rebuild Asuka and not classic flavor.
Does Kallen still get both? It was redundant gameplay-wise but it was pitch perfect characterization through gameplay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm honestly really on board with this design decision. Maximum Break at least requires a little bit of forethought to use instead of "press button, numbers go higher", which is a baby step in the right direction.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

To be fair Z2-2 is a game where attacks do 17k damage without hot blood or soul. The numbers were way too high to begin with.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

It feels like Hot Blood is one of those things in recent SRW where either very few pilots get it, or drat near all of them do. Personally I'm glad for the restraint, because I don't think I can take seeing Trowa Barton of all people carrying it around again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

It feels like Hot Blood is one of those things in recent SRW where either very few pilots get it, or drat near all of them do. Personally I'm glad for the restraint, because I don't think I can take seeing Trowa Barton of all people carrying it around again.

Yeah, you're right. That's the big problem. It's such a massively powerful effect to literally double your damage output that most of the time they're forced to hand it out to everyone just so they can stay competitive. Ask poor Rei how not having hotblood worked out in Alpha 3.

Giving it to very few people and having them be balanced around it is a much better approach because it helps create some meaningful differences between individual characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Does Kallen still get both? It was redundant gameplay-wise but it was pitch perfect characterization through gameplay.

I don't have her last spell yet so I'm not sure which she gets. So far I've got Kouji and Ryouma with Hot Blood and Shinn Asuka with Soul. (Which is 2.2 instead of 2.5 now.) She doesn't get both at least.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

Ask poor Rei how not having hotblood worked out in Alpha 3.

Actually, I used Rei a lot in Alpha 3. Despite her lack of Hotblood, she did have Attune/Inspiration, Exhaust, and Bonds. Not to mention the crazy powerful AT Fields once you upgraded the Eva's armor a bit. That basically meant I could bring Katz and a bunch of other not-otherwise-useful Gundam grunts along with me to the end game and use the hell out of their seishin as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Emuticus posted:

Actually, I used Rei a lot in Alpha 3. Despite her lack of Hotblood, she did have Attune/Inspiration, Exhaust, and Bonds. Not to mention the crazy powerful AT Fields once you upgraded the Eva's armor a bit. That basically meant I could bring Katz and a bunch of other not-otherwise-useful Gundam grunts along with me to the end game and use the hell out of their seishin as well.

Yeah, but the fact that she got multiple weapon upgrades(N2 Mine, Lance of Longinus) were completely wasted because she was utterly worthless as an attacking unit due to that lack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno, I had her leading a platoon of her own at one point, it was pretty badass.

So, this time it's Akagi who gets Shinji out of his initial slump. But just in general, no anime changes more than Evangelion from being in SRW, with Shinji being surrounded by friends instead of enemies or the indifferent.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It was Alpha 3, you could use anyone and still break the game over your knee.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does anyone know if the attack has ignore size ability if that functions like the old ignore size or is it just giving me one level of equalizing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kallen gets soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBMvDQOH3g

The results are hilarious.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen gets soul.

What the gently caress :psypop:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen gets soul.

Man, you really like using Kallen, huh? Even with Soul and Maximum Break, to get that damage you'd need one or two of the D-Trader items, surely?

(Also, since it showed up in your video, I'll just mention that I really goddamn love that new Stoner Sunshine cut-in with the scribbly Ryouma.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

In no way, shape or form should Kallen be able to out damage Getter in SRW. That's insane!

• Locked thread