Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Why do you you want a manual transmission?

Manuals are more reliable, more fun (if you care about that sort of thing), and can be more efficient than the automatic equivalent depending on how modern the auto trans is.

Especially when buying used and you don't know how the previous owner treated the transmission. A new clutch is a heck of a lot cheaper than an automatic transmission rebuild/replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Guinness posted:

Manuals are more reliable, more fun, and can be more efficient than the automatic equivalent depending on how modern the auto trans is.

Especially when buying used and you don't know how the previous owner treated the transmission. A new clutch is a heck of a lot cheaper than an automatic transmission rebuild/replacement.

I know the arguments in general for a manual and have a manual myself, but he didn't list driving pleasure anywhere on his list of priorities. A Prius transmission is not a traditional automatic and is one of the most bulletproof transmissions on all of Earth: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

I was just curious why he wanted the manual because he wasn't looking at interesting cars to drive and just wanted the cheapest, most reliable, safest thing in the long term.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I think manual is more fun and also it's cheaper to maintain if something happens, but I do agree that with most modern automatic transmission having catastrophic problems is unlikely.

Checking up on the Prius now.

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
Proposed Budget:<$13,000 really would like to be 10k if possible
New or Used: Used
Body Style: hatch back
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute is 5 miles, but I have 200 mile road trips every weekend. It's also nice to haul small furniture home once or twice a year.
Transmission: Auto or manual, but I'll have to re-learn how to drive standard.

Most Important: I am 6'4" and want comfort while driving above all (after safety); I need to fit into it. I drove a 2013 GMC Terrain (rental) and the thing had so much head room I could wear a top hat! I also want something that is fun to drive for the days I go up highway 101. I am willing to give up fuel economy for some horse power. Currently I get 23mpg combined and want to meet or exceed that.

The reason I am buying another car is because my 95 Camry XLE V6 was hit on the passenger side. The car is "totaled," but still drives around town. I am keeping it until I find my new car then will be unloading it to the junkyard or someone willing to deal with it.

I was already planning on buying a new car this year after I saved up a chunk of cash. Now that cash is my settlement check. I much prefer to pay cash, but I understand a car is a big cost, so if a loan is all that stands in the way of the perfect used car then I'll consider it.

I test drove a Volvo C30 and it was smooth and fun, but was also the first car I've driven since I started looking.
Next I will be A VW Golf after that maybe a Mazada 3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
WRX hatch, possibly MazdaSpeed3 hatch.

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

WRX hatch, possibly MazdaSpeed3 hatch.

I test drove a Crosstour today. It was okay, nothing WOW'ed me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want. I spend an hour on some guys lot just sitting in different cars; just to feel how I felt in them. Kia Soul; Ford Fusion and Focus;Min Cooper S; Honda Fit.

Thanks for he input. I'll just have to keep on searching.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Scionic posted:

I test drove a Crosstour today. It was okay, nothing WOW'ed me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want. I spend an hour on some guys lot just sitting in different cars; just to feel how I felt in them. Kia Soul; Ford Fusion and Focus;Min Cooper S; Honda Fit.

To be fair I don't think anyone has ever been WOW'ed by a Crosstour.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

We want to get a new car.

Currently we have a Volvo V40 from 1997 or whatever. I like it and enjoy driving it, but it just guzzles petrol too much and is just old and crappy. I want something cheaper. I live in Holland where diesel is taxed pretty heavily, and insurance depends on the weight of the car, so I'm thinking a simple regular petrol hatchback, second hand for less than about 5000 euros. Definitely manual transmission, I don't like automatic much. It doesn't have to be fast or anything, just efficient, but preferably with enough space in the back to store a pair of suitcases and comfortable enough to occasionally drive long distances. I will be using it on the highway maybe once a week, but mostly I will just use it to get groceries and stuff. I live in a rural area.

I'm 6'1, but I guess I'll have to trade in some comfort anyway if I want an efficient car.

Currently I'm considering:
Toyota Aygo
Volkswagen Polo or Up
Peugeot 107 or 206
Citroen C1

I'm mostly leaning towards the Aygo or the 107. Of course there are many websites here where I can find out which one is cheapest exactly, but I want to hear subjective accounts. Is there a particular car which you liked or hated? Are there things which I'm overlooking or models I should consider?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Proposed Budget: About $20k-$25k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Preferably a smaller car with a hatchback. No real preference on 2 door vs 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Almost exclusively for driving to and from work, about 50 miles total per day on the freeway with about 50% stop-and-go traffic. Needs to seat two comfortably, and I almost never have more than a single passenger. I'll pretty much never need to haul or move anything with this car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Yup. I'm a sucker for gadgets and a good sound system.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG, comfortable ride

Leaning towards a Focus, Fiesta, or Civic. Thoughts?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check out the Prius C. Very reliable, low cost of ownership, great MPG. Not sure on the ride, but I believe it is fairly comfortable. And it has gadgets.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Duct Tape posted:

Body Style: Preferably a smaller car with a hatchback. No real preference on 2 door vs 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Almost exclusively for driving to and from work, about 50 miles total per day on the freeway with about 50% stop-and-go traffic. Needs to seat two comfortably, and I almost never have more than a single passenger. I'll pretty much never need to haul or move anything with this car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Yup. I'm a sucker for gadgets and a good sound system.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG, comfortable ride

I went with a Prius. It checks all your boxes - especially the higher trims. I don't know what they are new, but I bought a low mile 2011 for $16k a month or two ago so it's gotta be in the ballpark.

Of the 3 you mentioned I enjoyed the Focus most, but since you're buying new the Civic will likely hold its value best, so that should factor in if you don't plan on owning it forever. I was personally not impressed with the Fiesta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Check out the Prius C. Very reliable, low cost of ownership, great MPG. Not sure on the ride, but I believe it is fairly comfortable. And it has gadgets.

Get a regular Prius, since it is a much better car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Scionic posted:

Do you actually want something fun for the PCH, or is that some sort of fantasy you have that isn't really borne out in reality? I am asking this question kind of harshly because I think you need to actually define what you want more clearly. You sat in a Fusion, despite saying you want a hatchback. You've sat in cars from three different size classes with very different features and purposes. Evaluate your needs and desires and narrow down your scope.

If you actually think that fun-to-drive matters, the only car that I would consider to be truly fun to drive car you posted there is the Cooper S. The Focus and Fit are somewhat athletic in a drive-slow-cars-fast-is-fun way, but they're not all that sporty.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Proposed Budget: +/- $5000
Body Style: "Dad" SUV
How will you be using the car?:
Now that we have a kidlet on the way, we're going to need to go back to being a two car family. We've been one car for about two years or so after I gave back my lease (terrible idea BTW, I won't be leasing again) It'll be a "haul the family (3 of us) around to and from places" vehicle. We're planning on moving back to outside of Albany NY in a year or so, to be near the in-laws and my parents to help with raising the kids (and to be around the parents more as they age) and the wife wants AWD or 4WD. Since it'll be "my" car, I get to have the majority vote in what we get, and I have it narrowed down to pretty much:

1997 - 2002 Toyota 4Runner
2000 - 2004 Nissan XTerra

I'm looking for:
Ease of repair - I can do most oil lube level stuff myself (brakes, plugs and wires, easy to get at parts)
Reliability - well, for a $5000 truck, naturally. I'm not expecting no problems, but I'd like if they stay manageable for a while
Space - Being that this is our first kid, I'm fully expecting to have it look like we're moving every time we bring her somewhere, so lots of room is nice

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Of those two, I personally would choose the 4Runner.

Unsolicited father to be advice: You don't need 3/4 of the poo poo that your about to buy (including a 4WD SUV). Especially infant gear. It either has a ridiculously short shelf life, or you find it to just be annoying. Baby cart covers...pain in the rear end. Used it 3 times and then it just bounced around the back of the car. Infant car seat. You won't use it longer than 6 months, don't go blowing a fortune on it (Ask me about my 400+ dollar Chicco set that we used for 5 months), spend the money on a really nice convertible car seat (I like Britax). Baby clothes? Your kid will probably be in 6-9 month clothes by the time it hits 4 months old. Don't buy any newborn size or 0-3 month clothes. Odds are you'll get plenty enough as gifts as people love to give clothes. Don't buy a bunch of stuff ahead of time, buy it as you need it. We've wasted so much money on baby crap in the last 4 years I feel it's my duty to tell others not to. Clothes are the biggest thing though, you spend 20-30 dollars on an outfit and they wear it maybe 5 or 6 times before they grow out of it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shampoo posted:

Proposed Budget: +/- $5000
Body Style: "Dad" SUV
How will you be using the car?:
Now that we have a kidlet on the way, we're going to need to go back to being a two car family. We've been one car for about two years or so after I gave back my lease (terrible idea BTW, I won't be leasing again) It'll be a "haul the family (3 of us) around to and from places" vehicle. We're planning on moving back to outside of Albany NY in a year or so, to be near the in-laws and my parents to help with raising the kids (and to be around the parents more as they age) and the wife wants AWD or 4WD. Since it'll be "my" car, I get to have the majority vote in what we get, and I have it narrowed down to pretty much:

1997 - 2002 Toyota 4Runner
2000 - 2004 Nissan XTerra

I'm looking for:
Ease of repair - I can do most oil lube level stuff myself (brakes, plugs and wires, easy to get at parts)
Reliability - well, for a $5000 truck, naturally. I'm not expecting no problems, but I'd like if they stay manageable for a while
Space - Being that this is our first kid, I'm fully expecting to have it look like we're moving every time we bring her somewhere, so lots of room is nice

I think the xterra of that year has some reliability issues.

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you actually want something fun for the PCH, or is that some sort of fantasy you have that isn't really borne out in reality? I am asking this question kind of harshly because I think you need to actually define what you want more clearly. You sat in a Fusion, despite saying you want a hatchback. You've sat in cars from three different size classes with very different features and purposes. Evaluate your needs and desires and narrow down your scope.

If you actually think that fun-to-drive matters, the only car that I would consider to be truly fun to drive car you posted there is the Cooper S. The Focus and Fit are somewhat athletic in a drive-slow-cars-fast-is-fun way, but they're not all that sporty.

You are right, I don't know what I want. I'm basically using dealers to drive cars I've never been in just to broaden my horizon. I have only owned two car in my life: 97 jetta and 96 Camry. I have time to research and test drive cars, so I am. I posted to get some direction, perhaps I was premature do so with such loose criteria; I'll find that Mini and take it for a spin.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Scionic posted:

How'd you like the Fusion? I'm 6'4 as well and have been eying them up.

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Knightmare posted:

How'd you like the Fusion? I'm 6'4 as well and have been eying them up.

It felt like the whole thing was cramped. Hard to get my knees in with out adjusting the wheel. It did have head room though, so once you're in you might like it.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

We want to get a new car.

Currently we have a Volvo V40 from 1997 or whatever. I like it and enjoy driving it, but it just guzzles petrol too much and is just old and crappy. I want something cheaper. I live in Holland where diesel is taxed pretty heavily, and insurance depends on the weight of the car, so I'm thinking a simple regular petrol hatchback, second hand for less than about 5000 euros. Definitely manual transmission, I don't like automatic much. It doesn't have to be fast or anything, just efficient, but preferably with enough space in the back to store a pair of suitcases and comfortable enough to occasionally drive long distances. I will be using it on the highway maybe once a week, but mostly I will just use it to get groceries and stuff. I live in a rural area.

I'm 6'1, but I guess I'll have to trade in some comfort anyway if I want an efficient car.

Currently I'm considering:
Toyota Aygo
Volkswagen Polo or Up
Peugeot 107 or 206
Citroen C1

I'm mostly leaning towards the Aygo or the 107. Of course there are many websites here where I can find out which one is cheapest exactly, but I want to hear subjective accounts. Is there a particular car which you liked or hated? Are there things which I'm overlooking or models I should consider?

Your criteria are nearly identical to mine and I have spent way too much time researching them during the past couple of months. 5000 Euros buy you a lot of a small car and there's a lot of cars to choose from. Polo (as well as the other cars sharing the platform - such as the Seat Ibiza and Škoda Fabia) is a solid choice. The Aygo, 107 and C1 are the same car and are a good choice as well, even though they are quite small. Make sure to drive one and to ride in one before you decide.

You might want to consider a 2001-2007 Honda Jazz (that would be my recommendation) or a 2005-2008 Ford Fiesta. I would not recommend the 206 and have no opinion on the Up, as I don't think you can buy one for 5000 yet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

Your criteria are nearly identical to mine and I have spent way too much time researching them during the past couple of months. 5000 Euros buy you a lot of a small car and there's a lot of cars to choose from. Polo (as well as the other cars sharing the platform - such as the Seat Ibiza and Škoda Fabia) is a solid choice. The Aygo, 107 and C1 are the same car and are a good choice as well, even though they are quite small. Make sure to drive one and to ride in one before you decide.

You might want to consider a 2001-2007 Honda Jazz (that would be my recommendation) or a 2005-2008 Ford Fiesta. I would not recommend the 206 and have no opinion on the Up, as I don't think you can buy one for 5000 yet.

Thanks! I'll look into the Honda Jazz. Maybe I can find a model from 06 or 07.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Proposed Budget: $10,000 - $12,000
New or Used: Used preferable.
Body Style: 4-Door Hatchback preferable
How will you be using the car?: Primarily for the daily commute to and from work (approx. 60km).
What aspects are most important to you? Luxury is not necessary. Utility is more important. However, keyless entry is highly desirable. Reliability and maintenance costs are probably the biggest concerns. I'd like a vehicle that is known to last and doesn't require prohibitively expensive upkeep.

I'd rather get nothing older than a 2004, and I think I've narrowed down my options to the Mazda2 or the Honda Fit.

I've been doing research but it's starting to feel overwhelming--I don't want to get paralyzed by indecision.

Also, I'm in Canada.

Also, what's the opinion on Certified Pre-Owned programs? I've found a 2013 Mazda2 that's just slightly out of my desired price range ($13,700). I was concerned because is has 39,000kph on the odometer and questioning the dealers revealed it to be an ex-rental car. However, it is CPO through Mazda's program, which... seems(?) fairly similar to other dealer CPO programs? That said, I don't know of any solid independent CPO programs in Canada. Does this sound like potentially a decent deal or should I run screaming? And would it be worthwhile to have it examined by a third-party mechanic regardless of the CPO?

NOTE: (I don't mind paying much less for a hatchback if there are better options)

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 12, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is there any reason you would be looking at Mazda 2s and not 3s? 3s are much better cars and not much more expensive used. Around here at least, used 2s are a bad prospect because the base price is so low that they don't depreciate enough for it be a buyer's market, without even taking into account how horrendously underpowered they are.

You could get a 3 hatch for around that price if you look at a few years older, and 39k klickadoodles or whatever moon miles you Canadians use isn't even very much these days, so don't worry about that kind of mileage too much, other than that it was on a former rental car only a year old* and 2s aren't worth it.

* They are selling it for a reason if it's that new.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 12, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Is a hatch that much more important to you that you'd get a Fit instead of a Civic? Fits are super small and your budget could land you a 08-10 Civic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, if you get a Mazda2 in an auto you'll be hating life.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IRQ posted:

Is there any reason you would be looking at Mazda 2s and not 3s? 3s are much better cars and not much more expensive used. Around here at least, used 2s are a bad prospect because the base price is so low that they don't depreciate enough for it be a buyer's market, without even taking into account how horrendously underpowered they are.

The 2 is actually a more fun car than the last gen 3 IF you buy the stick. And it is way less underpowered than 100hp would indicate because it is quite light.
That said, you should probably buy a new one or a fairly old one, because you're only going to save a grand or two with a used 2013 2 unless it has been beat.
No on should buy an automatic Mazda2 though.

Yes, I do own a Mazda 2 and was going to buy a 3 until I drove one. Note however, that a Skyactiv 3 gets better fuel economy. The 2 has a better feeling shifter and steering rack and the weight saving is noticeable. That said, if your main criteria isn't "what cheap commuter car can I autocross the gently caress out of" it might not be for you.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 12, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

The 2 is actually a more fun car than the last gen 3 IF you buy the stick. And it is way less underpowered than 100hp would indicate because it is quite light.

It is quite light, but driving one felt more sluggish and anemic than the beat to hell 20 year old Camry I was trading in. Also being light isn't a great point when you're talking to someone living in the frigid north, as that poster does - even the 3 is a little lighter than I'd trust most people with in the snow we get here around DC.

I can't speak to how the manuals are, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IRQ posted:

It is quite light, but driving one felt more sluggish and anemic than the beat to hell 20 year old Camry I was trading in. Also being light isn't a great point when you're talking to someone living in the frigid north, as that poster does - even the 3 is a little lighter than I'd trust most people with in the snow we get here around DC.

I can't speak to how the manuals are, though.

That is why you don't buy the automatic. The stick sucks less of the available horsepower and the gearing (thanks to having 1 more cog) is much better. The manual 2 is certainly not fast or quick, but I have never had an issue in sane driving where I needed more horsepower, though I have a turbo subaru for when i want to be stupid.
As for snow, never under-estimate the power of skinny rear end nokians to over come weight. The short wheel base could be a concern, though they all have ESC now.

edit: I wouldn't buy a mazda anywhere they used salt though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Light cars are OK in snow when your driving without any traffic, but the moment you're surrounded by soccer moms who have never driven anything less than 4000 pounds it sucks. Everyone gets really impatient with you at the lights especially in hilly areas.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Proposed Budget: ~$15,000
New or Used: Either is fine, i'm a terrible car shopper.
Body Style: 4 door sedan is what i'm leaning towards.
How will you be using the car?: Driving to and from work everyday with a roughly 5-10 minute commute. Might take rare vacation trips but nothing extreme.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I'd really like something I can use with my phone to play music off there, but that's about it.
What aspects are most important to you? I'm mainly looking for reliability at this point, assuming nothing horrific happens I'll hold on to this car for a long while.

I've been looking at the 2012 Camry, it seems nice but I don't trust my car know how by any stretch. I live in North Carolina so there's no extreme weather to really worry about either.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Duct Tape posted:

Add the Veloster to your list. I just got a Veloster Turbo and I love it so far. Comes with all sorts of gadgetry and a really good sound system standard and gets really good MPG and has a really nice ride and handling. I've only put less than 4000 miles on it so far so I can't speak to long-term reliability, but it's a new Hyundai so it should be fine maintenance-wise.

That is assuming you don't have any issues with an asymmetrical car, apparently a lot of people don't like that. I don't mind, my only backseat passengers 99% of the time are my dogs so they don't care that they can only enter and exit from one side of the car and only roll down the window on one side.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Proposed Budget: $10,000 - $12,000
New or Used: Used preferable.
Body Style: 4-Door Hatchback preferable
How will you be using the car?: Primarily for the daily commute to and from work (approx. 60km).
What aspects are most important to you? Luxury is not necessary. Utility is more important. However, keyless entry is highly desirable. Reliability and maintenance costs are probably the biggest concerns. I'd like a vehicle that is known to last and doesn't require prohibitively expensive upkeep.

I'd rather get nothing older than a 2004, and I think I've narrowed down my options to the Mazda2 or the Honda Fit.

I've been doing research but it's starting to feel overwhelming--I don't want to get paralyzed by indecision.

Also, I'm in Canada.

Also, what's the opinion on Certified Pre-Owned programs? I've found a 2013 Mazda2 that's just slightly out of my desired price range ($13,700). I was concerned because is has 39,000kph on the odometer and questioning the dealers revealed it to be an ex-rental car. However, it is CPO through Mazda's program, which... seems(?) fairly similar to other dealer CPO programs? That said, I don't know of any solid independent CPO programs in Canada. Does this sound like potentially a decent deal or should I run screaming? And would it be worthwhile to have it examined by a third-party mechanic regardless of the CPO?

NOTE: (I don't mind paying much less for a hatchback if there are better options)

The Toyota Yaris is not as good a vehicle but meets your needs pretty well.

I would advise you to consider purchasing a new vehicle in that class, since you will get way better financing (if you are financing), and you will also get a warranty. The vehicles you are talking about do not depreciate very rapidly. If you are paying cash, save up for a while longer unless it's imperative that you have a new car right now.

If it's imperative that you have a new car right now, I would look to used vehicles in a slightly larger size class - Mazda3, Ford Focus, etc. unless you have a very compelling reason to go with a smaller size (you park on the street on the Island in Montreal for example).

Also, never, ever, ever ever evereverever buy an ex-rental.

Edit: Total on a Honda Fit EX-A paid in cash is just a hair north of 16. That's a bit of a jump, but probably worthwhile. Used car inventories of very small cars are terrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Add the Veloster to your list. I just got a Veloster Turbo and I love it so far. Comes with all sorts of gadgetry and a really good sound system standard and gets really good MPG and has a really nice ride and handling. I've only put less than 4000 miles on it so far so I can't speak to long-term reliability, but it's a new Hyundai so it should be fine maintenance-wise.

That is assuming you don't have any issues with an asymmetrical car, apparently a lot of people don't like that. I don't mind, my only backseat passengers 99% of the time are my dogs so they don't care that they can only enter and exit from one side of the car and only roll down the window on one side.

Plural of anecdote is not data and all, but a few of the guys in the Hot Hatch thread have had horrible experiences with the Veloster. It's a shame, it seems pretty neat. I did not care for the suspension setup and steering.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Question about financing:

I am close to purchasing a car I can afford out of cash on hand, but I'd rather not drain what cash I have and my credit history is only credit cards. Is it possible to get a car loan for $4-6k? Or is that too little for it to be worth it to the lender? Are there any other options? Thanks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I am close to purchasing a car I can afford out of cash on hand, but I'd rather not drain what cash I have and my credit history is only credit cards. Is it possible to get a car loan for $4-6k? Or is that too little for it to be worth it to the lender? Are there any other options? Thanks.

This is very, very possible. Shop around for your options from Penfed and other low-cost auto loan providers.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

A credit union would almost certainly finance ~5k on a car.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
What do people think about cross-border buying? The price disparity between Canada and US makes buying in the latter kind of attractive, but I've heard that dealers are discouraged from selling to non-residents. I also have no idea what would be involved with customs/taxes.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Guinness posted:

A credit union would almost certainly finance ~5k on a car.

Credit Union gave me 11,000 for my truck.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wasting posted:

What do people think about cross-border buying? The price disparity between Canada and US makes buying in the latter kind of attractive, but I've heard that dealers are discouraged from selling to non-residents. I also have no idea what would be involved with customs/taxes.

In my state they can't even legally sell it to a non-resident. I believe you have to get it inspected and pay customs and other taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wasting posted:

Good luck importing the vehicle unless it is quite old.