Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

The game
Released in October of 2010, Force Unleashed II is a direct sequel to the 2008 release Force Unleashed. It was developed by LucasArts (PC, 360 and PS3) and Red Fly Studio (Wii) as part of the Force Unleashed project, which includes two books, two games and two graphic novels.
With Disney reworking everything that was officially canon, I have no idea if this game will end up being an official source or not, but who cares, the Star Wars EU is mostly stupid as it is anyway!
In the game you control Starkiller, secret apprentice to Darth Vader, totally a clone totally not a clone, after he was supposedly killed at the end of the first game.
The game has some pretty big drawbacks, including very few different environments, a rather stupid story, and definitely not enough gameplay variety, but what is there is still enjoyable to play, at least for me.

The LP
I'll show off the whole game, as it is available on PC, including all the collectibles and unlockables.
Because it's a Star Wars game and it's more enjoyable to make fun of those with other people, Simply Simon will help me get through the sparse far too big amount of QTEs this game has to offer.

Additional stuff
Please, :siren:no story spoilers:siren:, at least not for the game.
If you want to talk about book and graphic novel, please use spoiler tags for stuff that we haven't got to in the game yet. I'll probably show off some parts of the graphic novel once we get introduced to its main character.

Also, I encourage you all to watch WeaponBoys LP of the first game.

If somebody wants to show off the Wii version, or the 360/PS3 DLC content that didn't get released on PC, feel free to do so as long as it doesn't spoil new story content.

Updates:
Escape from Kamino
Cato Neimoidia - The Eastern Arch
Cato Neimoidia - The Western Arch
Cato Neimoidia - The Tarko-se Arena
Dagobah
Aboard The Salvation
The Battle for The Salvation
The Return
The Confrontation
The Battle of Endor DLC

Trizophenie fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Bonus content
This will include codex entries, gallery unlockables, and eventually the challenges.

Database entries
Database entries for Escape from Kamino
Database entries for The Eastern Arch
Database entries for The Tarko-se Arena
Database entries for Dagobah
Database entries for Aboard The Salvation
Database entries for The Battle for The Salvation
Database entries for The Confrontation

Concept art

Uncut videos
Because Simon is weird and wanted me to upload them aswell, here's the uncut videos where two guys talk about stuff that's not the game in a language nobody understands.
Escape from Kamino
The Eastern Arch
The Western Arch
Tarko-se Arena uncut
Dagobah uncut
Aboard The Salvation uncut
The Confrontation uncut

Trizophenie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 11, 2015

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

"Really go to town with your little laser sword: Star Wars The Force Unleashed II"

The game loads models during ingame cutscenes new every time the camera switches to them. You can see that on Vaders cloak, which gets PhysX'd whenever he appears. Also, not the entire model loads at the same time :D

Database entries

Force Powers:

Unlocks:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'll certainly be watching this with great interest. I actually own the aforementioned book, as well as the game.

I never saw that particular graphical glitch, though :stonk:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh god, I had no idea there was a novelization too. A brief search shows the first game had a novelization as well. Of the three big Star Wars Multimedia projects (the others being The Clone Wars and Shadows Of The Empire), this is the one I'm certainly the least familiar with. I'd be really curious to see other materials related to it, like the novels or comic books or toys, or whatever. I hope you guys get around to peeking at some, but I'll be following regardless.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Somehow, they managed to vastly improve the gameplay of the first game while making a shitheap of a story. Still a fun game though, I loved it enough to beat it on the hardest difficulty.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

The Plot Is A Load Of Bantha Poodoo: Let's Play Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Database entries

Force Powers:

Unlocks:

Trizophenie fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 11, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why didn't Starkiller just force blast the dudes in the beginning and avoid all this poo poo?

gently caress you Lucas Arts.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Aww, I was hoping that with uncut episodes I would be getting a regular dose of natural German pronunciation. Addendum: Oh, the ending. Double nice.

Also, Starkiller suddenly Antonio Banderas'd for me in the cutscenes. And for some reason Force pushing enemies away seems more believable than shooting them away.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blind Sally posted:

Oh god, I had no idea there was a novelization too. A brief search shows the first game had a novelization as well. Of the three big Star Wars Multimedia projects (the others being The Clone Wars and Shadows Of The Empire), this is the one I'm certainly the least familiar with. I'd be really curious to see other materials related to it, like the novels or comic books or toys, or whatever. I hope you guys get around to peeking at some, but I'll be following regardless.

I didn't know either, though I really should have expected it. This is Star Wars, every single character and/or event gets at least three comic or book appearances.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Somehow they managed to make Starkiller's fighting style look even stupider by adding the second saber. "Here, let me cut off both of my elbows at once!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

anilEhilated posted:

Somehow they managed to make Starkiller's fighting style look even stupider by adding the second saber. "Here, let me cut off both of my elbows at once!"

2>1, so it must be better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bruceski posted:

2>1, so it must be better.

And 4>2, hence why General Grievous is clearly the greatest Jedi Sith Lightsabre Duelist of all time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

And 4>2, hence why General Grievous is clearly the greatest Jedi Sith Lightsabre Duelist of all time.

Everyone knows Grievous let Obi-Wan win because he was tired of working for Palpatine. How else could you possibly lose in a 4 to 1 lightsaber fight?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Everyone knows Grievous let Obi-Wan win because he was tired of working for Palpatine. How else could you possibly lose in a 4 to 1 lightsaber fight?
I just don't understand why none of the other force users that Grievous fought didn't think to just loving force crush the guys rib cage before.
For that matter, why don't Force users access that particular ability more often?
Seems about as broken as the whole fiasco in D&D where a low-level wizard could insta-kill living beings by creating a gallon of fresh water IN THEIR LUNGS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dooky Dingo posted:

I just don't understand why none of the other force users that Grievous fought didn't think to just loving force crush the guys rib cage before.
For that matter, why don't Force users access that particular ability more often?
Seems about as broken as the whole fiasco in D&D where a low-level wizard could insta-kill living beings by creating a gallon of fresh water IN THEIR LUNGS.

It's several reasons why I try not to argue any logic in fantasy or fiction settings, especially films or adaptations of them. For Star Wars, the original trilogy didn't have to worry about it because Jedis were all but wiped out and the focus was never on their powers. The prequels and other material just feels out of place when you consider what Jedis and/or Sith can do.

I enjoy parts of it for what it is, and I try not to dwell on the (really) stupid stuff. If I did, I'd probably have a brain aneurysm or something.

Also, can't wait to see more of this LP. Maybe it'll convince me to actually play this game rather than have it sit idly on my HDD.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

"Unleashed II - Made from 100% recycled materials"

That level was even more of a letdown than this. How could they gently caress up a struggle against a Star Destroyer?

supermikhail posted:

Aww, I was hoping that with uncut episodes I would be getting a regular dose of natural German pronunciation.
Here you go! Western Arch Uncut

Force Powers:

Unlocks:

I'll try to get started summarizing the novelization, but with my final exams being less than a month away I don't know how fast that will go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So all this happens after Episode 3 and before Episode 4, right?

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

So all this happens after Episode 3 and before Episode 4, right?

Yeah, the first game is two years before the Battle of Yavin, and the second one one year.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

:allears:

My earlier Antonio Banderas point retracted. From close up Starkiller's dangling pilot suspenders look really goofy.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Wow, I remember being pretty let down by TFU 1 and never playing 2. Good to see I sort of made the right call, but at least the LP is good. I'll keep an eye on this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It's nice to play but I don't know why it's there" is this game in a nutshell. The action isn't that bad, but the game gets really dull really fast. Compared to TFU1 which just kept throwing more and more ridiculous setpieces your way, it's just so disappointing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What I love about the Force Unleashed games is that they actually "go there" in terms of...well, the plot, I guess. The first Unleashed game can potentially end with you murdering Darth Vader, fighting the Emperor, losing and having your friends die and your body mutilated so that you become the next Darth Vader, a storyline that is continued in the best part of this game, the DLC.. It lets you gently caress around with canon and has a great deal of fun doing it. The first game got a pass for having cool levels and pretty visuals, this game somewhat drops the ball in feeling more constrained, less flashy or impressive, and a terrible story lacking any of the (relatively thin) charm of the predecessor. Starkiller also continues to be ludicrously powerful beyond any sense of reason or rationality.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite detail so far was how the blaster gatling on that gunship wasn't centered around its axis of rotation properly, so it jittered back and forth as it fired.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Somehow, they managed to vastly improve the gameplay of the first game while making a shitheap of a story. Still a fun game though, I loved it enough to beat it on the hardest difficulty.

It's so clearly truncated because they ran out of time or money. For god's sake, the Dagobah level where it's literally a path filled with collectibles, a cutscene and then the next level. That cannot have been the original plan.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

It's so clearly truncated because they ran out of time or money. For god's sake, the Dagobah level where it's literally a path filled with collectibles, a cutscene and then the next level. That cannot have been the original plan.

I hope that Simon doesn't read this post, because we haven't recorded commentary for that level yet, although I alluded to him that there is one very short level.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I had a lot of fun going through the game. The story maybe somewhat daft, but it kept me engaged and entertained well enough.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was actually a clever bit of misdirection in the end cutscene there. I was surprised.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Oh man, the next boss. :allears:

Not gonna lie, the next boss had a really clever marketing ploy behind it, but I won't spoil it until the next video comes out.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

"These are not the QTE's you're looking for, a Force Unleashed 2 LP."

Deviantart for the rescue

Database entries
Arena uncut

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Happy Star Wars day everyone! If you're really interested in this game (I don't know why you would be) it's in the current May 4th Star Wars sale on Steam. My recommendation would be to get every other game out of that deal, because most of them are really good.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I loved this boss fight, because in the reveal trailer for the game they showed the Gorog... but it was VERY differently designed. For one thing, it was about half the size. Playing the actual game and getting to this part I was ready for what I saw, and completely blown away when something even BIGGER and uglier came out. I don't know if the misdirection was on purpose or the Gorog just hadn't been fully designed by the time they made the reveal trailer, but it was the best part of the game. And I actually love the game(play story can suck a full noncanon dick), so that's saying something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You know, I joked about the game having a lot of QTE's and being a slog but I find this boss to be the complete embodiment of slow and boring. Until the second half at least, but it makes me wonder why the developer thought it was such a good idea.

Also, yay! my thread title got posted!

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I never knew how you made fighting a monster the size of a skyscraper boring...until I played this game. I've never actually seen the rest of this game because facing this boss robbed me of any desire to see what happened next.

It'll be interesting to finally see...right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quiet Python posted:

Everytime I read something like this, I feel like someone, somewhere has set up a rehab clinic for people who played Force Unleashed I and II. :smith:

I don't want QTE's, I just want to be a cool jedi making his way through the galaxy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Quiet Python posted:

I never knew how you made fighting a monster the size of a skyscraper boring...until I played this game. I've never actually seen the rest of this game because facing this boss robbed me of any desire to see what happened next.

The next level is going to blow your loving mind.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Everytime I read something like this, I feel like someone, somewhere has set up a rehab clinic for people who are fans of star wars. :smith:

Hopefully J.J. Abrams will unfuck star war. But better safe than sorry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Quiet Python posted:

It's something I've found in a large number of games. "Hey let's make them fight a huge boss!" "That'll look awesome, how do they fight it?" "I dunno, dodge slow attacks and then stab it in a cutscene?"

Some do it rather well; Shadow of the Colossus of course, Castlevania has Balore and those huge armors that take advantage of the cramped spaces, Viewtiful Joe gives you a Six-Majin transformation sequence and you get to fight as a giant robot (because of course you do, it's Viewtiful Joe), but for every one that does it well there's about ten that screw it up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

David D. Davidson posted:

Hopefully J.J. Abrams will unfuck star war. But better safe than sorry.

I'm going to go see the next movie as soon as possible like the fanboy I am with no expectations. I'm optimistic though, so there's that.

Maybe I'll see how many references to the EU I can spot. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm going to go see the next movie as soon as possible like the fanboy I am with no expectations. I'm optimistic though, so there's that.

Maybe I'll see how many references to the EU I can spot. :unsmith:

The EU that no longer matters to the canon? Eh, I'm not that big into the EU, anyways, so I think I'd have missed all of them, anyways.

• Locked thread