Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Earwicker posted:

Finally saw the episode and it was really weird. Why the needlessly long, tortuous and generally bad explanation of the early internet? And lots of other weird things like the conversation about paint, Henry's rear window subplot and videogames obsession, Philipp singing some dadrock song to him, the "squeeze your anus" moment, the new handler dressed up like a spy in an old movie and Philip pointing it out.. it all just made the show way sillier, a very different tone from the usual

It might have been that they wanted a 'light' episode (with the exception of Philip dead-zoning that poor student) before the next one, which looks to be rather violent. Also keep in mind they're still probably trying to keep it light after the grisly hotel room scene - they don't want to risk turning people off, since the number of viewers is still healthy but has been decreasing per episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Joramun posted:

How is Squeeze Your Anus not the thread title yet

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Tusk doesn't even make sense to me.

I did a search on it, and all I found was this loving thread.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

tinker tailor soldier spy is a cold war espionage movie and tusk was the song in the opening of the first episode. hope this helps.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Earwicker posted:

Finally saw the episode and it was really weird. Why the needlessly long, tortuous and generally bad explanation of the early internet? And lots of other weird things like the conversation about paint, Henry's rear window subplot and videogames obsession, Philipp singing some dadrock song to him, the "squeeze your anus" moment, the new handler dressed up like a spy in an old movie and Philip pointing it out.. it all just made the show way sillier, a very different tone from the usual

Pretty much agree with this post 100%

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Very happy this show is getting renewed. I find myself looking forward to it more than anything else on my DVR.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

"I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS OH GOD HOW DID I GET HERE" - Philip

I laughed way too hard at this.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I actually always enjoy when the show plays lighter and for humor, which it always tends to do from time to time, just rarely though as lengthy an episode as this last one.

But I didn't find it tonally dissonant at all and laughed at quite a few of the lines, while still recognizing the darkness in scenes like the one with Philip and the student and the actual polygraph, etc.

I've also enjoyed the technology stuff but I always kind of like technobabble, and though the kids this season have been used to reflect themes happening in the main plot in occasionally less than subtle ways, I liked the innocence of Henry's plot, too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Even the scene where Philip kills the student seemed mostly comical to me, especially compared with any other death/murder in series. Student turns around all "huh?" and then creepo Philip is standing right next to him, cut to creepo Philip pushing the trashcan down the hall

The sketchy janitor is definitely one of Philip's best disguises I hope we see more of it. Wasn't that the same outfit he used when he killed that pedo guy who was trying to hit on Paige?

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Hed posted:

I'm laughing way too hard at your avatar.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Hed posted:

:hfive:

solovyov posted:

I'm laughing way too hard at your avatar.

It is a brilliant avatar. TFFers see it a lot, and we have become complacent regarding its perfection.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

The sketchy janitor is definitely one of Philip's best disguises I hope we see more of it. Wasn't that the same outfit he used when he killed that pedo guy who was trying to hit on Paige?

He didn't kill the pedo guy, he just stabbed him right in the balls with a BBQ fork.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There's a big blood vessel right there, if you get stabbed in the junk and don't get to the doctor quick you probably will die. I thought he stabbed that dude a bunch of times anyway.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 13, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The dad rock song Phil was singing was the Eddie Rabbit classic "Drivin' My Life Away" and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvEvBUG8mY

Thought that was a pretty great episode, Oleg is actually getting likable now ("I like Negro churches! I love the music! MARVIN GAYE!")

Liz is so going to kill the Nicaraguan girl though, and it will be sad.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So guys. I watched the first season and loving loved it. I somehow missed on the fact that it's back, and I can't loving catch up on Hulu with full episodes because even though I'm paying for Hulu monthly, certain content providers decide to offer other restrictions because god forbid customers be happy.

Anyway, what's the best way for me to catch up on this season? Cliffnotes perhaps? Episode recaps available somewhere?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch it on Amazon Prime.

e: actually it's pretty expensive on Amazon. I guess you're SOL.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch it on Amazon Prime.

e: actually it's pretty expensive on Amazon. I guess you're SOL.

gently caress me sideways. So it's not on free instant with Prime? I do have Prime.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

gently caress me sideways. So it's not on free instant with Prime? I do have Prime.

The current season will cost you $2 an episode, Prime or not.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JohnSherman posted:

The current season will cost you $2 an episode, Prime or not.

$3 if you want it in HD.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Balls. Maybe it's best to wait until the end of the season then? I forget, is Season 1 on Netflix or anything yet?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sadly, no.

Although many other FX shows are on Netflix so it may go up sometime, unless Hulu have exclusive rights.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say this show is easily worth $2 an episode.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Amazon has exclusive rights to The Americans. The first season is free on Prime, and the second season will probably become free a couple of weeks before the next season. That is how it worked with Justified. $2-3 an episode for the current season then free to members after the DVDs come out.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Are they going to have some kind of moment of reckoning with themselves this season? It seems like they've both referenced this idealistic view of themselves and what they do, about how it'll save mankind and how evil capitalism is. But now in reality they're icing random teen waiters in Afghan restaurants, sending a Jewish scientist back to what he considers hell, and murdering students who forgot their wallet. I kinda get the impression they're trying to set up a moment of conscience for them (or maybe just Phillip?) where they realize that they are, in fact, monsters... maybe?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Officially renewed for season 3. Looking forward to this weeks episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I think Phil hasn't thought that all the murders, blackmail, etc he commits are justified by any ideals since the series began. Liz is the one that still believed in the Cause and all that, but she seems to be coming around to thinking more like Phil this season. I think they're both coming to the point where they'll acknowledge just how hosed up what they do is.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I think we're building up to a reckoning too. Paige may not be snooping around anymore, but between her previous concerns, Henry dabbling in B&E, and Phillip and Elizabeth being repeatedly confronted with the physical and spiritual cost of what they do, something's going to give.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Henry dabbling in B&E

I trust this show enough to assume that this will play out in a believable and interesting way, but drat if it isn't the strangest subplot on TV right now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I wonder what direction Phil & Liz and the show will go in after the reckoning? Will they just keep doing the same until they can figure out an escape strategy, or will something happen this season that forces them into double agency? I was thinking they might try to feel out Beeman, but then again, so much poo poo has gone down that might make that the worst thing they could do.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JohnSherman posted:

I trust this show enough to assume that this will play out in a believable and interesting way, but drat if it isn't the strangest subplot on TV right now.

look, we've all done weird things for our video games

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

savinhill posted:

I wonder what direction Phil & Liz and the show will go in after the reckoning? Will they just keep doing the same until they can figure out an escape strategy, or will something happen this season that forces them into double agency? I was thinking they might try to feel out Beeman, but then again, so much poo poo has gone down that might make that the worst thing they could do.

That would be hilarious if a bit predictable- finally agree to defect with Stan's help only to find out he's been reassigned or some other bureaucratic nonsense so they're left out in the wind and on the run from whoever the Kremlin sends in as a cleaner.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

comes along bort posted:

That would be hilarious if a bit predictable- finally agree to defect with Stan's help only to find out he's defected to the Soviets

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
a lil cold war romeo an juliet for ya

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Vasili back from the dead!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

You would think spies might need to drive around in something a little more subtle. I mean, honestly, how many bodies are you going to be able to fit in that trunk?

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

if he can't manipulate her into informing again anyone else think Clark is going to be found "dead"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Brennan posted:

if he can't manipulate her into informing again anyone else think Martha is going to be found "dead"

Yes.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Clark is such a douche.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Holy poo poo.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It was a trap

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I binged this show over the last week to get caught up and have one nagging question. Why is it always winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is the "fake sub plans" story real? Because holy poo poo if it is. It's a twisted mix of :cawg: and "Oh man, that sucks..."

E- Reagan's a monster because his people made fake sub plans your government wanted to steal to bolster their own Navy? Is that what Elizabeth was getting at? Because shut the gently caress up if it is.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread