Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the new suit, personally, though I'm surprised those goons dropped Alfred that easily.

Isn't he supposed to be an ultra badass or something?

blackguy32 posted:

Hopefully it is penguin. I am kind of butt hurt that when I was playing the game, Penguin pretty much just says peace out and is never heard from again.

Well, if you look at the goon designs, they all have Penguin's logo on their clothing. The normally dressed guys are also affiliated with Penguin in the main game, too.

blackguy32 posted:

For some reason, I always think of Daggett, but that was Clayface. Sometimes, I wish at least one of the villains could have a happy ending :smith:

A few of the villains like Ventriloquist, Poison Ivy (the real one), and Harley reform and lead normal lives.

Trickjaw posted:

e: Actually, its quite funny if you view all the games in chronological order, and suits, abilities, and gadgets all appear to be lost or forgotten between games.

The Extreme Environment suit wasn't necessary, since he wasn't aware he'd have to fight Freeze. Really, the only gadget it was silly for him not to take was the Glue Grenade.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
All of the grenades are made with asbestos so it tripped Bats' no killing policy after a few years.

Anyway I like the new suit--looks like it's got a Bat-Hoody. Can totally work with a casual Bats

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, Batman really hates killing, so he's non-lethal in all aspects. He'll leave you a quadriplegic to live out the rest of your life strapped to a bed in Blackgate with a series of tubes in your throat, in agony and wishing for the wonderous oblivion of death, but Batman is Morally Right because NEVER AGAIN.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I always wondered how long it would be before he inevitably punched/slammed a guy too hard and just killed him by accident. Would he just give up being Batman?

A good strike to the nose can send splinters of bone into your brain. The thugs in Gotham are some durable motherfuckers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crashbee posted:

It sounds like Freeze refers to someone named Boyle at one point, who's that likely to be?

The guy who turned him into Mr. Freeze.

Specifically he says "If Boyle had honored our bargain, none of this violence would have been necessary."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Really hope they can do more with the thermal gloves other than just being a re-skin of the Shock Gloves but I know they won't...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Excels posted:

I always wondered how long it would be before he inevitably punched/slammed a guy too hard and just killed him by accident. Would he just give up being Batman?

A good strike to the nose can send splinters of bone into your brain. The thugs in Gotham are some durable motherfuckers.

There were a few spots in AA where you can send goons off cliffs into bottomless pits in the sewers.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

There were a few spots in AA where you can send goons off cliffs into bottomless pits in the sewers.

Yeah but he probably looks away so he can just say "I never saw them fall" and his conscience will be clean.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

They'll land in water and be fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They'll land in water and be fine.

Even though the same fall kills Batman somehow. :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It doesn't kill him, it gets poo-water on his cape! That's a fate worse than death!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah, batman just climbs/grapnels out of it automatically.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Nah, batman just climbs/grapnels out of it automatically.

It does if you wait for too long without grappling.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sleepy Owl posted:

Batman dies of embarrassment from falling in knee-high poo water.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Alfred complaining about having to wash poo poo off Batman's outfit was one of the funniest bits so far in Arkham Origins.

:itwaspoo:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sleepy Owl posted:

So maybe John DiMaggios 4-3,895 all have grapnel guns as well, did you ever stop to consider that? Like, maybe Batman slaps the autoclaw on them as he tosses them off a ten-storey rooftop. There, now I've solved the problem of cool tech from Origins vanishing in the other games :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

There's that one part right after you get the zipline in the Botanical Gardens where there are like 5 thugs taunting you from across the chasm--pulling them all down into the bottomless pit one after another with the batclaw is one of life's great pleasures.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Excels posted:

He did this to a dude in Knightfall in order to get Lady Shiva off his back. (This was post getting his back healed.)

the guy got better though.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Finally got around to finishing my 100% runs:

From top to bottom: Asylum, City, Origins, Blackgate.

Apparently I hate myself for bothering to actually get 100% on Blackgate.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I could have 100%'d Asylum and City but I can never do those goddamn Riddler combo challenges. I never saved the last hostage in Arkham City cuz apparently he wants to make sure you are really good at punching people first.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Excels posted:

A good strike to the nose can send splinters of bone into your brain.

You really think this can happen? :raise:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

You really think this can happen? :raise:

Well, the splinter-of-bone-to-the-brain thing is fake but a good punch to the face can kill you pretty hard if something goes wrong.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Excels posted:

I could have 100%'d Asylum and City but I can never do those goddamn Riddler combo challenges. I never saved the last hostage in Arkham City cuz apparently he wants to make sure you are really good at punching people first.

City refuses to spawn the final street crime for me, and I've given up on getting all of Asylum's combat challenges. It's just so grueling for no reward at all. :smith:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the splinter-of-bone-to-the-brain thing is fake but a good punch to the face can kill you pretty hard if something goes wrong.

Well, yeah, but that's obvious. It just surprised me that someone might still actually believe the nose thing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hush only ever kills one dude for me :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Hush only ever kills one dude for me :(

Try using this: http://www.gamesradar.com/batman-arkham-city-identity-theft-side-mission-guide/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Hush and street crime missions only trigger when you enter certain areas of the map.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Thanks, I would have never have bumbled into those little alleyways.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Speaking of Hush, does he have breathing problems in the comic books? I noticed that every time he breathes in Arkham City, it is like he is gasping for air.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Speaking of Hush, does he have breathing problems in the comic books? I noticed that every time he breathes in Arkham City, it is like he is gasping for air.

That might be because of the face-cutting. In the comics, he's a plastic surgeon and alters his face in that way, so I imagine he doesn't have respiratory trouble like he does in City.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

After clearing out Hush, I dropped onto a rooftop , and a thug was having a piss against the wall. I actually loving waited for him to finish. I'm too polite to be Batman. Plus, if I threw him about I'd end up covered in piss.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

In addition to Hobgoblin's answer, notice that once he takes off the mask, Hush is speaking like Bruce Wayne, too. It appears he's cut up and reconfigured his vocal cords.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just finished the game. Don't think I'm going to try to capture Enigma though. gently caress that. I did it in Asylum and City.

I didn't mind the second Bane fight so much, but the bit after that sucked.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

catlord posted:

Just finished the game. Don't think I'm going to try to capture Enigma though. gently caress that. I did it in Asylum and City.

Funny thing about that--you never actually capture or even lay eyes on Enigma. It's like the developers understood the jist of having him taunt you the entire game without getting that it's only worth it when there's a payoff at the end.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

There was payoff when you hear him getting arrested by police. That's the only time.

In Origins your reward is (literally) the promise that Batman will have to collect another pile of lovely useless Riddler collectibles in the future, and you can't even warn him not to bother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A kind of bizarre thing about Enigma in Origins is that you CAN (not necessarily will) get a random comment from Alfred revealing he easily uncovered Enigma's identity/job etc with just a casual bit of searching while Bruce was out breaking thugs' wrists and ankles. When it popped up during my first playthrough of the game it was roughly halfway through the storyline too, but on other playthroughs it never came up again.

It even explains his access not just to data but to criminal contacts to work as his couriers etc, since it turns out he works for the GCPD in their cyber-crimes division or something like that, and has near full access to all the criminal databases in the country

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Other comments from Alfred indicate that it took him a long time to discover Enigma's identity- that he'd covered his tracks extensively.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Discendo Vox posted:

Other comments from Alfred indicate that it took him a long time to discover Enigma's identity- that he'd covered his tracks extensively.

Yeah but at most we're looking at, what, 8 hours of work? All while juggling monitoring Batman's activities, contacting the police when requested AND making that delicious Christmas ham?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something mentioned earlier about reformed villains reminded me of how well behaved Harley tends to be when the Joker is not at home. In the one-shot series Joker's Asylum, one of the comics follows Harley and she is a model inmate, who even brings out the best in Pamela Isely. The problem is that there is one day when she can't sit still. One day on which she cannot resist breaking out of the Asylum again. One day on which she needs to be with her "puddin'". Valentines Day. That was a funny one shot.

The other two in the series (Mad Hatter and Riddler) are just heartbreaking though.
The Riddler falls in love and desperately tries to reform, gets a normal job all in an attempt to woo her as she initially is not interested. He starts meeting her friends and finding out more about her and they do grow closer, and there is hope for most of the comic. However, when she agrees to marry him he is horrified when he realises that he suddenly has lost all interest. His psychosis has hosed him over in the cruellest way possible. What he thought was love was his obsession coming to the fore. Working out how to get her to love him was actually just a riddle to his broken mind and now that he has 'solved' it there is nothing left for him to feel.

Mad Hatter has reformed. He hasn't had an incident in months and has been out of the asylum for a long time at this point. He has a functioning role with a normal job, colleagues and everything. Until he meets a young girl with blond hair. After the inevitable occurs he hides the body in the closet in a trance. But it is already full. He has been trapped in a cycle of healing and relapsing for months now, whenever it seems like he can get better, like he can leave the asylum for good, it happens again and he eventually ends up getting caught again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh my God, the combat in the challenge mode really is better than in the story. I felt like I was in full control again. All that whiffing because the timing felt wrong was gone. Which means I should stop playing it so that I don't make Cold, Cold Heart a pain to get into when it drops.

• Locked thread