Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Season 2 is probably my favourite season of television ever, so the show has earned some serious cred in my eyes.

It was the funniest show, joke-after-joke style since Friends, I really care about the characters and the first two seasons had great little moments of friendship and heart reminiscent of some of the best stuff Scrubs did but on a more personal level, it does far more interesting stuff and goes higher concept than pretty much anything else in its genre AND it's made by people who know and love television, for people who know and love television, with all the knowing winks and nods to clichés as it goes.

Plus incredible cast, the best (most OCD) production department and little things like this network sitcom having some of the coolest action sequences and beautiful shots on TV in those first two years.

Downside is I'm talking almost entirely about the first two seasons here. Season 3 got too wacky, weirdly aimless and started recycling a lot of ideas - but was still funny. Season 4 was incredibly boring and unfunny and proved that Dan Harmon was pretty much the central nervous system of the show. And season 5 so far has been a return to the funny and despite a strong start and Buzz Hickey being a really good character - it hasn't quite lived up to the heartwarming aspect of the first two seasons. (Other than Troy's goodbye.) Probably on the same level as season 3 though.

So yeah, those are my feelings on a TV show?

P.S. I can't stand Rick and Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Android Blues posted:

I think Rick and Morty is a natural comparison, and I'd say that that's a better show because it goes all out on the bizarreness.

Community often feels like someone's checking on the reins

I think you hit the heart of it. Rick and Morty is an Adult Swim production whose execs said, "Make it strange, make it bizarre" while Community is on NBC and has someone behind it saying, "Make it approachable and oh hey, try to beat out the Big Bang Theory." I prefer Community.

Dan Harmon oft has a direct line to my funny bone (to paraphrase Zombieland w/ Bill Murray). And it's not his jokes that amuse me but his twists on themes. Remedial Chaos Theory, for one, was an episode that was made just for me.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

Season 2 is probably my favourite season of television ever, so the show has earned some serious cred in my eyes.

It was the funniest show, joke-after-joke style since Friends, I really care about the characters and the first two seasons had great little moments of friendship and heart reminiscent of some of the best stuff Scrubs did but on a more personal level, it does far more interesting stuff and goes higher concept than pretty much anything else in its genre AND it's made by people who know and love television, for people who know and love television, with all the knowing winks and nods to clichés as it goes.

Plus incredible cast, the best (most OCD) production department and little things like this network sitcom having some of the coolest action sequences and beautiful shots on TV in those first two years.

Downside is I'm talking almost entirely about the first two seasons here. Season 3 got too wacky, weirdly aimless and started recycling a lot of ideas - but was still funny. Season 4 was incredibly boring and unfunny and proved that Dan Harmon was pretty much the central nervous system of the show. And season 5 so far has been a return to the funny and despite a strong start and Buzz Hickey being a really good character - it hasn't quite lived up to the heartwarming aspect of the first two seasons. (Other than Troy's goodbye.) Probably on the same level as season 3 though.

So yeah, those are my feelings on a TV show?

P.S. I can't stand Rick and Morty.

Who cares, your opinions suck.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Frostwerks posted:

Who cares, your opinions suck.

This thread, in a nutshell.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Remember back before the show aired? People were wondering why Joel McHale and Chevy Chase were doing a sitcom, and how long they could last on jokes about Community college. Was there any hint as to what Harmon had done before this that would have made even a few people have an idea of what was to come?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Olibu posted:

Remember back before the show aired? People were wondering why Joel McHale and Chevy Chase were doing a sitcom, and how long they could last on jokes about Community college. Was there any hint as to what Harmon had done before this that would have made even a few people have an idea of what was to come?

Pretty much nothing. He wrote about a quarter of the Sarah Silverman episodes. He'll get another shot at a sitcom down the road once Community goes under.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I was thinking the proposal scene was terrible for all of ten seconds before I realized that, while the scene was just playing off an old sitcom gimmick in accordance with the theme of the episode and the season will inevitably end in a romantically neutral place (which is definitely for the best), I love Jeff and Britta together. They're jaded and washed up and should probably never get actually married, but they're best friends who are so terrible for everyone else that they kind of deserve each other.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

kayakyakr posted:

Pretty much nothing. He wrote about a quarter of the Sarah Silverman episodes. He'll get another shot at a sitcom down the road once Community goes under.

Now taking bets; Fox, or Netflix?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

There was definitely enough out there to get an idea of what was to come.

Heat Vision and Jack

Computerman

Just those two alone... most of his Channel 101 stuff, though, really.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Eh, I've followed Harmon since SCUD and La Cosa Nostroid... Based on everything he and Schrab did together there was nothing to indicate this level of something out of him... His issues of SCUD and La Cosa Nostroid were way weaker than Schrab's, so he always seemed like the weaker of the two.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

My opinion on this season (unnecessarily long and possibly incomprehensible):

I think that Community is operating at a different level from about every other comedy on TV this season. I just don't see any other comedy - network or cable - that is constantly willing to challenge itself to deliver (Harmon wrote D&D2 as a specific gently caress you to the network) (edit: except Archer, obv.). I guess I understand why the show is often perceived as hollow and insincere, as though it's just a vehicle for every smarmy Harmon impulse, but for me it is so much more satisfying than the numbing familiarity of every other late-season sitcom. While pretty much every show eventually declines in quality, Harmon is too self-aware to go quietly and has the ego to believe that he can evolve the form. I think that kind of ambition is worth celebrating even if it's occasionally self-congratulatory and petty and flawed. I know that not every episode worked completely (I'm out of the specific G.I. Joe demographic by a couple years) but I give points for effort and for trying... something.

I think that for some reason people now hold this show to an almost impossible standard - I remember the incredible popularity it had while airing season 3 and now everyone is very restrained. It's like the real life story of production over the past couple seasons has overwhelmed what's on the screen and sapped everyone's attention and patience. But if I compare the current season to how remarkably lazy and self-indulgent even a show like Parks and Recreation has become this season (where every characters' personality is dialed up to 11, occupations and most plot lines are completely meaningless, glacial plot development, etc.) I only appreciate Community more.

Arrested Development is the only other comedy I've seen that is willing to throw this much poo poo at the wall, to try as hard as the writers and actors do. Think about how many tones 'Basic Story' shifts through, the varied oblique references to The Truman Show and EDtv, and the layered plot (bottom: recognition by the characters of how they are caught in a loop; middle: Abed realizes that it is all a show; top: meta history of Greendale as Community's fractured production history, rehabilitation and current predicament of imminent cancellation/syndication). I can only imagine that while P&R and Modern Family writers are at home with their kids at 9pm, Community's writers are prepping for another all-nighter around a whiteboard. Yet pretty much every review says there is not much to this episode beyond set-up for next week. Every show deigns to do a concept episode now and then (HIMYM & Scrubs did their share, Trophy Wife just did Scandal) but Community, which treats convention like a plague, is just counting down the minutes until they can go all in on the next one.

The show is pretty much impenetrable to new viewers at this point (Harmon has basically written off the very concept of new viewers) but carries on a constant conversation and parrying act with the fans and the critics. What's going on with Annie and Jeff? Let's have the Dean put a finger on it directly. What was Pierce's legacy on the show? On P&R this would have been pure schmaltz and sentiment; on Community it is 7 canisters of frozen sperm and a boat trip around the world. How long can Jeff and Britta keep going through the motions while everything and nothing changes? Throw them into a marriage they both know is depressingly predictable. Every episode was a thematic callback to a prior season episode with a tweak (Bandit/Conspiracy Theories, Polygraphy/Calligraphy, Duncan & Britta/Mixology Certification, etc.) and advanced character growth through even absurd story lines. Personally, for me D&D2 is the most re-watchable episode of the show (probably because it moderates the uncomfortable stakes of D&D1 and doesn't raise questions as to why the group voluntarily continues to hang out with a man who almost bullied someone into suicide out of spite).

I guess I'm fully indoctrinated into the 'Cult of Harmon' at this point but I truly believe he put together one of the most cohesive and impressively-written seasons of TV that I've seen - for me it's night and day from how cynically season 4 tried to recreate the beats of the first 3 seasons. Instead he used season 5 as potentially a last opportunity to prove how ambitious and experimental a network show could be in his hands - it was imperfect but I think he succeeded. There are a few transcendent comedies on TV right now (Veep, Archer, Review, Rick and Morty) and a lot of pretty good ones but Community is the only one that promises to hit a home run for the kid in the hospital and then gets to the plate and starts swinging.

I've put too much thought into this and maybe I'm alone but I thought I would put it out there.

Agreed 100%. Community has its flaws, but it runs laps around other shows in terms of writing talent and care. I love this post because it expresses exactly how I feel about Community much more eloquently than I could.

Community after five seasons (and a gas leak year) is still fresh and feels new. How often does that happen?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
At the end there, even though I was pretty disgusted at the blatant advertising, I got so giddy when I heard him mention "Lincolnshire", and loving hell I was off my seat when he said he was from my home town of Scunthorpe. Everything they said after that was total bullshit though, but loving hell did that catch me off guard.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Megaspel posted:

At the end there, even though I was pretty disgusted at the blatant advertising, I got so giddy when I heard him mention "Lincolnshire", and loving hell I was off my seat when he said he was from my home town of Scunthorpe. Everything they said after that was total bullshit though, but loving hell did that catch me off guard.

Its not bullshit. You are Buzz's child. Accept it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Little late to this one, but it really does sound like a lot of the quality issues people had with the humour of the GI-Joe episode were because of the locked-in ahead of time nature of animation development loving with Harmon's normal development process and the way he likes to tweak things constantly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Olibu posted:

I remember thinking it was going to get canceled after like a month and would be a running joke on The Soup

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man, I wish I had given this season a chance earlier because (at least up to episode 5) it's been fantastic and I already want to say that this is the best season. My favorite episode is still AD&D but I can't believe I just saw 5 really great episodes of Community in a row.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Last Chance posted:

Season 3 was just fine in my book. It gave us Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, and Basic Lupine Urology. Great stuff. The rest of the season varied in quality, but was still good television.

Honestly if you say "I hate the way season 3 changed the tone of the show" or even "I hate the end/second half of season 3" that's understandable but to flat out hate season 3 is nuts.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The only thing I disliked was they used the "HEY SHIRLEY HAS KIDS" thing a second episode in a row.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Season 3 was just fine in my book. It gave us Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, and Basic Lupine Urology. Great stuff. The rest of the season varied in quality, but was still good television.

Annie's Move and Britta/Blade episodes I'd also put among the most enjoyable in the series. Also, I feel like the Ocean's Eleven episode would have been remembered more fondly if it wasn't rushed out at the same time as the video game episode and the finale.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Some of you might like these.

Paul F. Tompkins interviews Jim Rash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxaO7lkXIhg

Paul F. Tompkins interviews Gillian Jacobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdI6Pxrn4zc

Paul F. Tompkins interviews Jonathan Banks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHCod3tu-JU

Paul F. Tompkins interviews Alison Brie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wrI2EsVnnE

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it weird that I notice Gillian has a weird Steve Buscemi eyes in everything but Community.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
drat the ending was good :)

This series should have used Professor Duncan a lot more.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I agree. Apparently they wanted to use Duncan more but John Oliver was busy with the Daily show or something. IIRC the idea was to explore Jeff and Duncan's friendship over the season, and sort of have it replace Troy and Abed. Since they couldn't make it work they went with "every character gets a story with Buzz" instead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

John Oliver's in the next episode.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I think

I was fine with Jeff and Britta Ross-and-Rachelling again, but the whole marriage thing was really forced and terrible. Then again, does it make sense given Jeff's last episode? Hrmm.

Really? I felt like it made a lot of sense and felt very natural. What else ARE they going to do? And they are kind of perfect together.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The entire point of the scene was that it made no sense, man. It was wholly obligatory for the purpose of retroactively giving meaning to the last five years.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MrAristocrates posted:

The entire point of the scene was that it made no sense, man. It was wholly obligatory for the purpose of retroactively giving meaning to the last five years.

Made no sense, but still made every bit of sense because why the hell not?

I mean, Jeff just went through a mid-life crisis. Britta's done worse. It's the logical next step to Jeff's transformation into someone quite hum-drum and ordinary.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I get it for Jeff (he's settling into an ordinary life!), but I feel like it does Britta short shrift. He doesn't usually treat her that well or get along with her in particular, so it kind of feels like they're doing "remember the first season? When they liked each other? Well, that's why they still do now!". I guess I don't really get why Britta would want to be with him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Unmerciful posted:

I guess I would just ask why you don't think it's groundbreaking. It's potentially comparable to Arrested and 30 Rock but I'm hard pressed to name another show that bats around and subverts every trope, regularly breaks the 4th wall and half the episodes are themed/concept/homages. Can you watch this show after Frasier and say hey, these are pretty similar sitcoms?
I see absolutely nothing groundbreaking about doing parodies of various formats (or "subverting tropes"). Parody has been around since time immemorial. Supernatural, South Park, etc. all have done theme or concept episodes. Freakin Zack Morris broke the 4th wall, breaking the 4th wall is really nothing and can be kind of dangerous in terms of getting hacky.

And I'm not trying to poo poo on Community. You can easily say it's clever or it's smart when it does those things, but you'd have to work to convince me there's anything groundbreaking about it.

It was the funniest show on TV during its second season, and it had some great moments in season three, and season five has been pretty strong. So again, I like the show, but I just think some people find it more impressive than it seems to me.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 15, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Android Blues posted:

I get it for Jeff (he's settling into an ordinary life!), but I feel like it does Britta short shrift. He doesn't usually treat her that well or get along with her in particular, so it kind of feels like they're doing "remember the first season? When they liked each other? Well, that's why they still do now!". I guess I don't really get why Britta would want to be with him.

I haven't really gotten the idea that they dislike each other. They bicker like an old married couple, sure, but that's not out of spite or dislike or anything other than the fact that she's an enthusiastic, optimistic idealist and he's a pessimistic realist. In fact, I'd say there's no pair in the study group that is closer now that Troy is off the show.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Android Blues posted:

On that note, if the next episode cuts to black after Jeff kisses Annie again, it'd be masterful.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Abed sitting alone at the first season table, without axe marks, daydreaming.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Unmerciful posted:

Can you watch this show after Frasier and say hey, these are pretty similar sitcoms?

No because Frasier is actually far funnier, especially over the last 2.5 seasons of Community.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Billy on the Street with Joel McHale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxoaT-6tfA

Spoiler alert: It's awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lugaloco posted:

Billy on the Street with Joel McHale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxoaT-6tfA

Spoiler alert: It's awesome.

I kind of hate that guy's voice, but the part at the end where they were just screaming at each other was pretty funny.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's kinda sad that this may be the last Community episode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It probably won't be, though. Even if the ratings have been dipping (and I don't count on them going up tonight, Community finales are almost always series lows) every day that passes with no cancellation notice is good because it means there's negotiations in progress. And remember, NBC has gently caress all to replace it with. Besides, the news has been mostly positive. This is probably the most optimistic I've been about a renewal for this show.

But if it is the end, well, at least this season was pretty great.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Plus like aren't they short to syndication? From a financial viewpoint it makes more sense to do a short season like they've been and get it out of the way.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mexcillent posted:

Plus like aren't they short to syndication? From a financial viewpoint it makes more sense to do a short season like they've been and get it out of the way.

They're already in syndication elsewhere. 80 is the new magic number. I think this is episode 97 overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

kayakyakr posted:

They're already in syndication elsewhere. 80 is the new magic number. I think this is episode 97 overall?

100 is considered the magic magic number, but 88 is the generally acceptable magic number. 97 is in that weird spot where it's oh so close to 100 that there's weird poo poo that can happen like put-together clip shows or supplemental material to even it out if need be.

But Sony sees $$$ and they're going to aggressively shop it no matter what happens with NBC. NBC doesn't like Community but knows it's not going to do well in that slot anyway, and Sony is basically giving it to them for free. But unlike Parks, NBC makes nothing off the backend, so they may just think, throw Parks to the wolves for its final season and try something else at 8:30. Sony can't hold "The Blacklist" over NBC's heads this season like the did to get the fifth season of Community last year - contracts are already signed.

It's kind of a toss-up, really. Depends on what NBC sees in its development, whether Sony can extract any leverage, and whether or not there's some other network/Hulu willing to pick p a bit of a tab to put it on their schedule.

Best bet? Don't worry about it. Enjoy the finale.

• Locked thread