Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

No more helmet rentals for me :getin: Got a balaclava too, since I'll need that for ChumpCar. First track day is at the end of May.

Good choice, I wish I would have bought a decent helmet instead of the cheap POS I am using. My Dad has that helmet at loves it.

At some point I'll find time to check out those chump donors for you...sorry work has been nuts and I'm headed to IL for a race tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good choice, I wish I would have bought a decent helmet instead of the cheap POS I am using. My Dad has that helmet at loves it.

At some point I'll find time to check out those chump donors for you...sorry work has been nuts and I'm headed to IL for a race tomorrow.

It's just the Bell Sport, nothing too fancy. I was going to try the M4 since it's lighter, but they were out of stock. I guess the shop got hammered with early season buyers, which isn't surprising.

Yeah, keep me posted on those cars. We're still looking up here. Everything is an automatic.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Thompson in CT is looking better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tri3vNysFwo

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
It sure does. If I haven't blown my budget I'll be there for the comscc events.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Certainly it's something better than doing NHMS again and again and again.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Who was the AI poster who worked for Rugged Radios I think it was?

Looking to grab some gear for an upcoming 12hr race.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dj Commie, I believe.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

Certainly it's something better than doing NHMS again and again and again.

I'm guessing you haven't seen this years schedule...

Anyone have an opinion on carbotech 10s or even 12s on a heavier track car. I've got to decide on tack pads for my sti in a few weeks and there price is rather attractive

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

rotard posted:

Anyone have an opinion on carbotech 10s or even 12s on a heavier track car. I've got to decide on tack pads for my sti in a few weeks and there price is rather attractive

I loved the XP12s with R6s on my 370Z. That's a pretty fat car. XP10s are good too!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

c355n4 posted:

Who was the AI poster who worked for Rugged Radios I think it was?

Looking to grab some gear for an upcoming 12hr race.

Yep, that's me. Sent you a PM.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I liked XP10s on my GTO. No real complaints, but it probably could have used XP12s. It is rather portly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

rotard posted:

I'm guessing you haven't seen this years schedule...

XP10s for street tires is probably good to 3500lbs or so. R-comps, I'd want more.
They're good pads though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hawk DTC60 or CL RC6 would be two other good choices.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

rotard posted:

I ran the 12s on my SRT8 Magnum with pirelli grand am slicks and they were great pads. This was with the OEM brembos and rotors along with spindle ducts for cooling. The car weighed in at right around 4,000lbs with me in it.

They were way too much pad when I had to run a session or two on my street tires after having corded the slicks earlier in the day.

I would definitely recommend them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spent the day at Autobahn Country Club doing a practice day before the Chump race this weekend. Think the high for te day was 41 degrees with steady wind at around 30 mph gusting up to 45+. Standing water on the track was mostly gone by 2pm or so but still some.

I got picked to go out as first driver, I've driven on ice with more traction. Holy poo poo it wasn't even fun sliding around because the traction was too unpredictable to do anything with. Second session around 2pm was awesome and I'm really glad I got a second run. Still a bit damp/cold but you could avoid most of the standing water. Car feels good (e30 vert) and we're looking forward to warmer temps this weekend with much less wind.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=alton%2C+va

Oh hell yes, perfect weather for VIR north course this weekend.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

So, I found out recently that the EVSR I talked about earlier is going to be running as an Exhibition entry at the 12 Hour Devil in the Dark at NJMP on April 26th. This is the electric racecar that I've posted a little bit about previously. I'll be at the race with my team running a Honda CRX. It should be interesting seeing this thing on track and racing with it.

https://www.facebook.com/ElectrifyingRacing/posts/694049443966724?stream_ref=10

quote:

Entropy Racing and EVSR.net will be the first fully electric team to enter an endurance race and the first fully electric team to run a race in the dark!

EVSR will enter our fully electric car in the SCCA Jersey Racing Board's Devil in the Dark 12 hour endurance race. We will be running between 4 and 5 stints over the course of the race demonstrating speed potential in some and range in others while we become the first EVER to run an Electric Racing car in the dark at competition speeds. we intend to run around 3 hours of the race while charging in between sessions. While quick change batteries may become an option in the future, we are still early enough in development to be content to be the first on two important milestones and in 2015... LOOK OUT because we will study viability and hopefully be able to run the whole race and compete for the whole 12 hours.

They'll also be running at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR with both cars.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What do you guys think about HPS pads? They seem like a good upgrade to the current OEM pads on my 2007 GTi and I can use them on the street as well as the few track days I do each year. Am I wrong for thinking this? Any recommendations for a single set of pads that are better than OEM but also not strictly for the track?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

eriddy posted:

What do you guys think about HPS pads? They seem like a good upgrade to the current OEM pads on my 2007 GTi and I can use them on the street as well as the few track days I do each year. Am I wrong for thinking this? Any recommendations for a single set of pads that are better than OEM but also not strictly for the track?
HPS aren't even good street pads.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

eriddy posted:

I can use them on the street as well as the few track days I do each year.

lol

HPS are junk. They're poo poo street pads for pedal feel, I can't imagine how awful they would be at the track with heat in them. If you're doing multiple trackdays, invest in a decent set of track specific pads. I did this for my e36 and I will never try to run a dual duty pad again, too much compromise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't use HPS. What car are you even using?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I got a friend that smoked HPS on the track as well. However, I've been using HP Plus for the longest time, and have loved them on the street and track day use on RS3s (car is an S2000). They work great pretty much everywhere. That said, a long session of really pushing the car with R888s at Buttonwillow made them start to go away--they didn't stop working, but I was starting to put a noticeable increase in pedal pressure to keep stopping properly. So basically, as long as you don't put R-comps on your car, I'd recommend giving HP Plus a try.

edit:// \/\/ HP Plus!

the poi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 13, 2014

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Dang you guys do not like the HPS pads.

Phone posted:

Don't use HPS. What car are you even using?

I have a 2007 VW GTI.

So what would you recommend for a good set of street pads that wouldn't be terrible for 2-3 weekends a year at the track?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

the poi posted:

I got a friend that smoked HPS on the track as well. However, I've been using HP Plus for the longest time, and have loved them on the street and track day use on RS3s (car is an S2000). They work great pretty much everywhere. That said, a long session of really pushing the car with R888s at Buttonwillow made them start to go away--they didn't stop working, but I was starting to put a noticeable increase in pedal pressure to keep stopping properly. So basically, as long as you don't put R-comps on your car, I'd recommend giving HP Plus a try.

edit:// \/\/ HP Plus!

Do the HP Plus make a ton of noise ? Is the squealing thing just something that sorts itself out after the pads wear in a little?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

eriddy posted:

Do the HP Plus make a ton of noise ? Is the squealing thing just something that sorts itself out after the pads wear in a little?

I've had kind of a weird experience with them--sometimes they squeal, and sometimes they don't, and I can't for the life of me determine the pattern by which they do this. In any event, squealing brake pads are cool because everyone looks at your car when you come up to an intersection and they're totally thinking "sick racecar bro!".

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

eriddy posted:

They shouldn't be as bad as a full-on race pad, but they will be louder than street pads, and this will not go away with wear. It's one of the things you have to live with to get the higher temperature tolerance. My porsche's brakes sounds like a goddamn garbage truck when I'm driving around town.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

SlapActionJackson posted:

They shouldn't be as bad as a full-on race pad, but they will be louder than street pads, and this will not go away with wear. It's one of the things you have to live with to get the higher temperature tolerance. My porsche's brakes sounds like a goddamn garbage truck when I'm driving around town.

Ha, are they Carbotechs? My brother had XP8 or XP12, don't remember, on his Cayman S. It was so cripplingly loud it would drown out conversation inside the car literally whenever the car would come to a stop. It never got any better.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't buy the HP+ for the track. Buy a set of HT-10s and just swap them out the night before. A brake pad change only takes like 20 minutes.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
For street/track duty I recommend Ferodo DS2500.

I've run them on my Scirocco, Miata and my Rabbit GTI for years, mostly on the street but I've also done many track days on them (10+).

Never had noise issues on the street and never had any brake issues on the track.

https://www.topbrakes.com/c/car-items/21430/1/Street+Brake+Pads/2007+VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF+GTI+Mark+V+-+2.0+Turbo?manufacturer_id=

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pagid Yellow/Black. And my BMW did the same with PFC 06. I don't think it really matters which pad. All of them in that performance class are loud as hell, especially when cold.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Phone posted:

Don't buy the HP+ for the track. Buy a set of HT-10s and just swap them out the night before. A brake pad change only takes like 20 minutes.
I wouldn't bother with ht10s either. The dtc-60 is the new better version. Also that's a neat chart.

Oh, and the stoptech street pads have similar max temp and cf properties as the HP+ but work cold and are a lot cheaper.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
HT-10s are non-corrosive so it probably won't forever ruin his wheels, but the DTC-60 is the better pad for sure.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

HP+ will squeal like a mother until they get up to track temps. Definitely not a street pad.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I love my HT10's on the E30, I use them for street and track. The can squeal a bit though.

I've never tried the DTC-60's

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

Exactly. This is why I don't have a good answer to this as dedicated track pads are a much better idea. You're going to be bleeding your brakes before the track day (right?), so it isn't like you're not going to be doing something. What does a GTI weigh? Like 3300lbs? That isn't that light for a track car.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Serious question: how in the world do you guys get DTC60s up to temperature at track days? They're like Hawk's highest temperature racing pad :psyduck:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Look at the chart. They are at getting close to full friction around 300F, and they come up to temp earlier then the blues or HT-10s. And despite what the chart shows, there is still braking when you're not at temp, just be prepared to bury the pedal. I swap mine on the night before to wear off the street transfer layer, and then drive home on them so they wear off their own transfer layer.

My only issue with DTC60s is that they are TOO good. That kind of friction is really high for street tires and I am constantly into ABS. I wish I had gone with something slightly milder (PFC06 seem to be universally loved). I don't want to run rcomps on the track anytime soon, they are expensive enough for autoX.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

jamal posted:

Oh, and the stoptech street pads have similar max temp and cf properties as the HP+ but work cold and are a lot cheaper.

I'm no expert on the subject, but stoptech street pads survived two track days at nhms on my sti last year and they are still on my car today. I did however use a good 60‰ of the fronts in that 3 week span, and that was with a conscious effort to be easy on them.

rotard fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the poi posted:

Serious question: how in the world do you guys get DTC60s up to temperature at track days? They're like Hawk's highest temperature racing pad :psyduck:

Last weekend at VIR, braking from 90 to 40 in T1, 75 to 45 in T3, and 75 to 40 in T4 was enough to warm them and the tires up on a 70F ambient day.

The DTCs are actually pretty good about cold braking, I would blow stop signs for the first 5 minutes of my commute on HT-10s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I had the opportunity to take my car to Watkins Glen International yesterday, first time on a track ever. 3 laps behind a pace car, took some photos but didn't stay long as it was very far from home:

http://imgur.com/a/R2u2p

Sadly I didn't have an opportunity to talk to the GT owner.
Here's a video of my time, as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXdwAAWb34#t=238

I am now aware I am AWFUL at keeping my hands on the wheel and in good form. My glasses kept slipping too. I'm sure my lines were poo poo too :)
I was tremendously nervous, especially being at the head of the group. I had a CTS-V and a V8 Mustang behind me, and since it was opening weekend we were told no passing so I was afraid I was going to be super slow and ruin it for the guys behind me, but after the first lap or so I couldn't even see the Caddy in my mirrors at any point, so that helped relief a little "stress".
Best time I've had in a very long time, hope to get some proper time on the track this year without a safety car :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 13, 2014