Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ofaloaf posted:

Licorice is the best flavor and I will fight you regarding this.

No seriously, licorice is a great flavor for all sorts of candies and the best part about it is how few people actually enjoy it, which means that as a kid you never had to share your candy if it was licorice.

Reminds me of the ads for Finnish salted liquorice ice cream from a few years back where they have foreigners and Finns taste the stuff. There were some opposite opinions from both as well but they're not included here it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBBakWOeEQ

The best part is the last awkward guy saying how the combination of saltness and sweetness "creates quite a party in my mouth" with his monotone voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Must be a horrific job at the Jelly Belly factory, making sure the barf and dog food beans taste right.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

The David Mitchell meme isn't funny, but David Mitchell himself is a very funny man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

No seriously, licorice is a great flavor for all sorts of candies and the best part about it is how few people actually enjoy it, which means that as a kid you never had to share your candy if it was licorice.

You can keep your rear end-flovered candy to yourself. I'm going to enjoy actual good flavors like electrical tape, maggot poo poo, and rotten placenta, all a step up from licorice.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

For some time I've been rather confused that so many US folk know who David Mitchell is. Feeling faintly proud.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Ofaloaf posted:

Unless it was these bad boys:

Then people would ask for one, eat the gross sugar crap, and throw the liquorice away. Bastards !

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kanfy posted:

Reminds me of the ads for Finnish salted liquorice ice cream from a few years back where they have foreigners and Finns taste the stuff. There were some opposite opinions from both as well but they're not included here it seems.

The best part is the last awkward guy saying how the combination of saltness and sweetness "creates quite a party in my mouth" with his monotone voice.

I think every country has that one food that they love while every other person on the planet despises it. For Australia, it's vegemite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLW3p9ZDW9s

But, buy all accounts, nothing compares to surstromming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTTmJ3xqEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wJZ2apWyk

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think every country has that one food that they love while every other person on the planet despises it. For Australia, it's vegemite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLW3p9ZDW9s

It's weird that both the Finnish and Australian foods that foreigners can't stomach are things that are incredibly salty. As an Aussie I love Vegemite and have it on toast every morning but I think Salmiak tastes like an arsehole-flavoured salt lick.

Is there an American analogue for these strange, salty treats?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rita Repulsa posted:

So does the centipede flavor actually taste like a centipede?

It's really bitter and kinda sour. It tastes exactly like I'd imagine eating a big leggy raw bug would taste like.

Baby wipes is also amazingly accurate. I stopped eating them after that.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
vegemite tastes like soy sauce on toast

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

cyberia posted:

It's weird that both the Finnish and Australian foods that foreigners can't stomach are things that are incredibly salty. As an Aussie I love Vegemite and have it on toast every morning but I think Salmiak tastes like an arsehole-flavoured salt lick.

I'm not sure how much of this is "well, I, of course, don't have an accent" and how much is "america is loving huge and disparate" but I can't think of a pan-american food that would be gross to anyone besides literally all american food.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

cyberia posted:

Cafeteria grits?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beef jerky tastes like eating salty shoe leather.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I never cease to be amazed by the amount of people who apparently know what rear end tastes like, who come crawling out of the woodwork everytime liquorice, vegemite or American beer is mentioned.

(liquorice owns)

e: have some beetroot and liquorice soup:

Tsuru has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Apr 13, 2014

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Root beer? Peanut butter? Easy cheese?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A visual analogy of what is currently happening to this thread.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

RatHat posted:

Must be a horrific job at the Jelly Belly factory, making sure the barf and dog food beans taste right.

There was an episode of Dirty Jobs all about it, even.

Here, have a couple clips and be glad that smell-o-vision still isn't a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZfcjGVpIuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snArFZxIWi4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Goodpancakes posted:

Root beer? Peanut butter? Easy cheese?

The first two are fine but you might need to explain the third to this Aussie.

Funny Picture.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Memento posted:

The first two are fine but you might need to explain the third to this Aussie.

Cheese that comes in a spray can.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Somewhat related to this derail:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is the thing above David Mitchell a common brushtail possum?

(While funny these Peep Show jokes work better as video)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

mrkillboy posted:

Either the person who took this picture (you?) stayed in the exact hotel in Malaysia that I stayed in last month, or there's a company mass-producing these exact signs because enough people haven't figured out how bad durian smells. Both of these ideas weird me out.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

You ever been near a Durian? I have. There's a good reason for that sign.
I don't know about mangosteens.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

steinrokkan posted:

Is the thing above David Mitchell a common brushtail possum?

I always think he looks a bit like Rufus from Kim Possible.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Concatenation posted:

Either the person who took this picture (you?) stayed in the exact hotel in Malaysia that I stayed in last month, or there's a company mass-producing these exact signs because enough people haven't figured out how bad durian smells. Both of these ideas weird me out.

Nah I didn't take it. I guess if you love eating durians you probably eventually forget how offensive the smell is to others (or dont care).

I also don't get why mangosteens.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Choronzons son posted:

Y'aint been on these forums long, have ye sonny? :corsair:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

BANME.sh posted:

It's not a joke, the box contains both flavors for each color so you can't tell what one you're gonna get. Jellybean Russian roulette. The toothpaste one is actually yummy though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Concatenation posted:

Yeah, the posters were prominent in every hotel and hostel I stayed at in Indo and Malaysia. Durians are disgusting to every extreme.

This happened in my city last year http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Foul-smelling-fruit-sparks-Plymouth-city-centre/story-19959053-detail/story.html

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Tsuru posted:

beetroot

beetroot is the stupidest word ever

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Another reason mint toothpaste can eat poo poo.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Choronzons son posted:

The purple skin on mangosteens will stain the hell out of anything it touches.
Edit: It's also the best fruit ever.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

eating only apples posted:

It's really bitter and kinda sour. It tastes exactly like I'd imagine eating a big leggy raw bug would taste like.
There's a good trip report here. Apparently it's a taste that lingers.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kanfy posted:

Ahhhhhh! Why can't we get this stuff where I live. Last time I went to a real candy store I bought almost $70 worth of black liquorice products to get me through the year. Salted, taffy, jawbreakers, chocolate coated, etc. Love that stuff and I think I only know about 3 people who do as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Blistex posted:

Ahhhhhh! Why can't we get this stuff where I live. Last time I went to a real candy store I bought almost $70 worth of black liquorice products to get me through the year. Salted, taffy, jawbreakers, chocolate coated, etc. Love that stuff and I think I only know about 3 people who do as well.

Hope you're keeping an eye on your blood pressure. :v:

Or your drinking if you have access to this stuff.

Also not to deviate too much from the sacred purpose of this holiest of threads,

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Surströmming

You can't talk about surströmming (:lol: at your crippled keyboards that lack even the most common vowel keys) without this. Well you can but I can't. Feel free to skip to about five minutes in for the goods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwrZ1-WjsI

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You have to be a pretty big pussy to cough and dry heave because of surströmming

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

You have to be a pretty big pussy to cough and dry heave because of surströmming

Is the funny picture the mental image of you waving your dick around while gorging on surströmming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stare:

Yes, I know it's an electric bollard

• Locked thread