Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I just stumbled across some price drops on amazon.ca - blu-rays of Persona & The Freshman are under $25 along with a few other titles under $30 like Picnic At Hanging Rock, Judex, L'Eclisse, The Hidden Fortress & A Hard Day's Night. For us Canadians who pay shipping from Barnes & Noble, these prices work out to be close to the $19.99 price of that sale when factoring in free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know nothing about film restoration, but I imagine that the original source material for most films made in the first half of the last century create a 'ceiling' for restoration capabilities

You can learn about the process, at Criterion and on no less than a Hitchcock film, right here:

https://vimeo.com/84135659

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I can't imagine how awesome it would be to do that all day.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I've actually wanted to get into that as a career but don't really know where to turn or where to begin. I've tried emailing the George Eastman House with no reply, and the folks at Criterion said just to send in a resume - but with no experiencr I don't know how much good that'll do.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Man, I could watch behind the scenes footage from Criterion all day.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

friendo55 posted:

I've actually wanted to get into that as a career but don't really know where to turn or where to begin. I've tried emailing the George Eastman House with no reply, and the folks at Criterion said just to send in a resume - but with no experiencr I don't know how much good that'll do.

One option is going back to school for it. My wife got her Masters Degree in Moving Image Archiving and Preservation from NYU and has worked with places like George Eastman House, Library of Congress, MoMA, etc. UCLA also has a program, as does some school in London I can't remember. I will say they did almost no actual film restoration during the program, mostly focusing on archival duties. It's a tough job market out there. I'd be happy to chat or give you more information if you'd like.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

zeroordie posted:

One option is going back to school for it. My wife got her Masters Degree in Moving Image Archiving and Preservation from NYU and has worked with places like George Eastman House, Library of Congress, MoMA, etc. UCLA also has a program, as does some school in London I can't remember. I will say they did almost no actual film restoration during the program, mostly focusing on archival duties. It's a tough job market out there. I'd be happy to chat or give you more information if you'd like.

I'm interested in finding out more! (Though it appears that you have PMs turned off?)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

zeroordie posted:

I'd absolutely take you up on that offer, thank you! Although, similar to Pappyland, it seems your PMs are turned off. We could chat through email?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Pappyland posted:

I'm interested in finding out more! (Though it appears that you have PMs turned off?)

friendo55 posted:

Although, similar to Pappyland, it seems your PMs are turned off. We could chat through email?

Yeah I don't have PMs, sorry about that! My gmail is: tasog37.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

Westchester Films has US rights to Othello, so it's a likely release.

Carlotta Films US is distributing a new restoration, and have promised a future DVD, but the trailer is, bizarrely, in 1.78.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jeffrey Wells has another meltdown with Criterion, this time with A Hard Day's Night:
http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2014/04/lesters-fault/

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Jeffrey Wells is what happens when a man has a little too much knowledge to not know that he doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about meets at an intersection with a man who gets riled up over the smallest bit of bullshit.

Here's my favorite "this guy doesn't know poo poo about film quote"

quote:

But the comparison below makes my case. A scene in a small jail cell. The boxier version is clearly the preferred way to go. It feels natural and plain. The 1.85 version delivers a feeling of confinement, obviously, but Otto Preminger wasn’t an impressionist. He was a very matter-of-fact, point-focus-and-shoot type of guy.

Yes, Mr. A Man Who Was Blind From Birth Has a Better Understanding About Cinema Than You, this makes total sense. A director working in a visual medium decided to not tell his story through his visuals. Nope. Totally impossible. But hey, if that's what floats your boat!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Never forget: http://www.deadline.com/2007/09/creepiest-email-from-a-blogger-to-hollywood/

quote:

I am on my knees, Mr. Mangold, saying thank you, thank you and thank you again for persuading Vinessa Shaw to do her first flat-out, boob-baring nude scene. I was in heaven as Crowe drew her on his notepad. Please tell me there’s somebody on the Yuma team who can slip me some stills of the shooting that day… please. I’m serious. I know you think like I do in this respect, so please … as one good hombre to another … you don’t have to be the guy who passes along the stills. Just tell the still photographer or the editor or whomever caught her as she posed. I’m not a sleazebag either — I don’t pass along stills to the Mr. Skin crowd or my friends. This would be just for my, myself & I. At the very least it would be great to grab some frame captures from the film itself. Or some unused footage of Shaw and Crowe doing whatever. Out-takes, perhaps.

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

All posts are equal but some posts are more equal than others

friendo55 posted:

Interesting that you didn't hear back from GEH -- I used to work/volunteer there in the motion picture department. It's a great program, and one I was interested in until my life took a different direction. But like what others have said in this thread, archiving is a pretty tough market to get into, and with a bunch of programs (UCLA, NYU, GEH + others) feeding into it, it's crowded. But if you're interested, you should absolutely look into it! One of the things I loved about the program at GEH was that it was very hands on, although as mentioned, more focused on archiving/preservation than restoration.

I should have PMs turned on, so feel free to ask more.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So far, they've added DVD-only releases of Red River and Picnic at Hanging Rock. As with other recent DVD-only releases alongside dual format, they're not including booklets or in this case, the paperback reprints of the source novels.

edit: and new dual format Insomnia

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 15, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

July Criterions:

Pickpocket (Dual Format upgrade)
Insomnia (Dual Format upgrade)

Scanners (Dual Format)
The Big Chill (Dual Format)
The Essential Jacques Demy (Dual Format) - Lola, Bay of Angels, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Young Girls of Rochefort, Donkey Skin, and Une chambre en ville

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 15, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Scanners and The Big Chill? Dope.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Big Chill seems like an odd fit for Criterion.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I know everyone's waiting for The Apu Trilogy or the Tati box, but I've never been as excited for a Criterion release as I am for the Jacques Demy set.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

PDMChubby posted:

I know everyone's waiting for The Apu Trilogy or the Tati box, but I've never been as excited for a Criterion release as I am for the Jacques Demy set.

The Demy set and the dual upgrade of All That Heaven Allows has made it a good few months to look forward to. Although, I'll probably wait til November on the Demy set.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Oh holy gently caress, I am sold based on that cover alone. Never mind it's a weird Cronenberg sci-fi flick that's awesome.

edit: Why does Criterion do dual DVD/blu-ray releases? I would think Disney and such need to do that because people who don't know any better and buy the disc expecting it to work in whatever they have under their TV. Would be nice to save a little bit on the price and just dump the DVD to a separate version.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

According to them, they do that because it actually costs much more to print two different versions to cater to both the Bluray crowds and DVD crowds, who understandably aren't willing to upgrade an existing DVD they have just because the Blu is out. They do this so that they don't have to spend all the money to reprint a separate version that only one segment of their customer base will buy.

Also, holy poo poo I am all over Scanners and The Big Chill.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I look at dual format as eliminating the excuse to not buy a title. If you don't have a blu player or planning to buy one, you don't feel like holding off until you can play it. Or thinking you're going to have to rebuy it down the road. It's cheaper than buying a title again and it doesn't make any price difference.

By the way, Criterion is going to have plastic cases available for The Night of the Hunter soon in the "other" part of their store. It was originally released in a digipak, but now they have 2-disc cases.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I can't blame Criterion for going with the most cost-effective solutions, but I really hate that they've gone dual format. It's just wasted shelf space for me.

Pickpocket - of course this gets announced a month after I randomly decided to rewatch my DVD copy. I'll buy it eventually, but it'll wait a while

Insomnia - only seen the remake, but I'm in no rush to see the original

Scanners - no big desire to see this again

The Big Chill - lol no

The Essential Jacques Demy - I love Lola, Bay of Angels, and Donkey Skin, like The Young Girls of Rochefort, very much want to revisit The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and never seen Le chambre en ville or any of the shorts. All over this.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I hope the Demy boxset is out in time for the B&N sale. :ohdear:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I really like dual format because most of my friends don't own blu ray players, but I'd prefer to own the blu ray.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FitFortDanga posted:

I can't blame Criterion for going with the most cost-effective solutions, but I really hate that they've gone dual format. It's just wasted shelf space for me.

Is it even wasted shelf space? My copy of The Hidden fortress which is dual format takes up as much space as my copy of Cronos or Quadrophenia.

The zatoichi set may have been a little smaller without it, but that's an insane set spanning 25 films. It was going to be a big box anyway.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The dual format sets mean there is space for twice as many Criterion titles on the retail shelves, and the format is more to please the retailers than consumers.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ineffiable posted:

Is it even wasted shelf space? My copy of The Hidden fortress which is dual format takes up as much space as my copy of Cronos or Quadrophenia.

For movies that are 1 BR + 1 DVD, that's true... the case is same as their regular Blu cases. But Persona is an extra-wide case to make room for two DVDs I'm never ever going to touch. It's a nitpicky complaint, but for stuff like the Demy set it's a fairly significant waste of space.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Did they even raise prices on their blu-rays once they went dual-format? I feel like they didn't but I only buy these things in sales anymore.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Did they even raise prices on their blu-rays once they went dual-format? I feel like they didn't but I only buy these things in sales anymore.

They didn't; they've always been about $40 MSRP. It's just more expensive to people who haven't upgraded to Blu-ray yet to spend 10 more bucks to get the DVD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That'd make a pretty good poster and it reminds me a little of The Scream.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Wow that Scanners cover is beautiful.

What ever happened to the rumor of a Criterion Eraserhead release, though?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 18, 2014

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Wow that Scanners cover is beautiful.

What ever happened to the rumor of a Criterion Eraserhead release, though?

The only explanation in my mind is that they are deliberately torturing me by having it on streaming forever, but not just giving me the amazing disc that I'm positive they have completely finished and just been sitting on for years. It's my favorite movie and I want it so bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

David Lynch delayed his self-produced DVD for three years to tweak the transfer.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Maybe he's just too busy making quinoa.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Preordered 'Scanners' on Amazon without hesitation, this is going to be awesome.

I have no idea who Jeffrey Wells is, but reading that link makes me want to punch him in the face. It is pretty entertaining seeing him get totally taken apart in the comments, though.

If my sister is a huge Beatles fan (and I mean huge) and has somehow never seen A Hard Day's Night, that'd probably make a good birthday gift for her, wouldn't it? :toot:

Edit-- if I like Cronenberg but have never seen Videodrome, is it worth checking out? The Criterion release caught my eye, but I'm hesitant to spend that much on a movie sight-unseen.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 19, 2014

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- if I like Cronenberg but have never seen Videodrome, is it worth checking out? The Criterion release caught my eye, but I'm hesitant to spend that much on a movie sight-unseen.

I bought it blind and loved it. I had only seen a little Cronenberg before.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Videodrome is great and considered the definitive Cronenberg film by many- it's something really only he could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Preordered 'Scanners' on Amazon without hesitation, this is going to be awesome.

I have no idea who Jeffrey Wells is, but reading that link makes me want to punch him in the face. It is pretty entertaining seeing him get totally taken apart in the comments, though.

If my sister is a huge Beatles fan (and I mean huge) and has somehow never seen A Hard Day's Night, that'd probably make a good birthday gift for her, wouldn't it? :toot:

Most of Wells' columns are about hotels and restaurants near film festivals rather than anything substantive about film. He had a grudge against Criterion because he didn't get a job with them 20 years ago.