Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pwn posted:

I haven't seen the divine spark in Seth that Fallon and O'Brien had. All I see is a guy who was hired to be not-The Tonight Show-host in 5 years. I mean, can you envision a world where Fred Armisen's little garage band is The Tonight Show Band?

I dunno, I think Seth is funny and has some interesting skits/ideas for late show stuff. I do agree he needs to drop Fred's band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm looking forward to Colbert's new show. I think he'll do a good job with it. I'll miss the "Stephen Colbert" character, but I hope he kills the character off in some bizarre way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ufarn posted:

Did you ever watch Fallon's show, when he started out?
I did and it still had better production value than Seth's show, even though I didn't like it. I mean to be honest I didn't particularly like Fallon at the end of his run either, but I can still recognize his Late Night to be of higher quality. There's something about the high school garage band music, the all-wood set, the stiff and awkward interviews, that screams "This Was Our Plan B." Not that you need a fancy set or The Roots to put on a great show (Ferguson proves that, and Conan started with a hideous wood set), but the approach Lorne Michaels has brought to LN/SM has been very "I don't give a poo poo about this". Fallon got to grow into his role, but Seth isn't being put in a position to succeed.

e: I am trying not to judge Seth himself because it'll take at least 6 months to a year for him to figure out how to make Late Night -his- way, and put his stamp on it. I just get the same vibe from LNwSM that I got from the original Last Call with Carson Daly back in 2002, which is "we don't care if this succeeds or fails."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 12, 2014

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Robnoxious posted:

I think Jon has known for a very long time that Colbert has immense talent (far more than his) and was always destined for bigger and greater things. Jon has been one of Colbert's biggest cheerleaders. He hired the guy for a reason and takes delight in seeing how it's paying off.

Colbert actually predates Jon on the show - he started when it was the Daily Show with Craig Kilborn.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Periodiko posted:

Colbert actually predates Jon on the show - he started when it was the Daily Show with Craig Kilborn.

The only person who remembers the Craig Kilborn days is, possibly, Craig Kilborn.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The only person who remembers the Craig Kilborn days is, possibly, Craig Kilborn.

Well, a long time ago people actually watched The Daily Show for the jokes and not just to have an unfunny liberal blowhard reaffirm their political beliefs. Those who enjoyed the jokier Daily Show still fondly remember Kilborn's run.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Well, a long time ago people actually watched The Daily Show for the jokes and not just to have an unfunny liberal blowhard reaffirm their political beliefs. Those who enjoyed the jokier Daily Show still fondly remember Kilborn's run.

Cause god knows we need another show that is: celebrities am I right?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cause god knows we need another show that is: celebrities am I right?

Really, though, anything is better than Stewart's infantile take on politics and the people dumb enough to think its insightful commentary.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Irish Joe posted:

Really, though, anything is better than Stewart's infantile take on politics and the people dumb enough to think its insightful commentary.

I just think he is a funny jokeman and he doesn't soapbox nearly as much as people accuse him of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uh well I mean the Daily Show is literally a soapbox. Is that actually under debate? I'm not saying it isn't a funny show but I mean it's a show that preaches to the choir. The old days of the Daily Show being more like the Onion are kind of behind it, and by behind it I mean by a decade.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uh well I mean the Daily Show is literally a soapbox. Is that actually under debate? I'm not saying it isn't a funny show but I mean it's a show that preaches to the choir. The old days of the Daily Show being more like the Onion are kind of behind it, and by behind it I mean by a decade.

If you think "Man these guys are pretty dumb!" (which is what the show usually boils down to) is an actual attempt at political commentary that's pretty hilarious.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think that it falls under the realm of preaching to the choir, yeah.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I think that it falls under the realm of preaching to the choir, yeah.

You call it "preaching to the choir," I call it "knowing your audience." He's not on a loving pulpit, he's basically doing stand up with the assistance of a projector (and a chair).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

You call it "preaching to the choir," I call it "knowing your audience." He's not on a loving pulpit, he's basically doing stand up with the assistance of a projector (and a chair).
With a crowd cheering him on like the Colosseum.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
As someone who watches The Daily Show to watch a liberal blowhard reaffirm my beliefs, I kind of have to agree it's more of a soapbox.

It's not quite Rachel Maddow, but it's definitely not The Onion. It's more like Real Time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Right. Much like political cartoonists are just illustrators that know their audience!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Right. Much like political cartoonists are just illustrators that know their audience!

I'm not saying he isn't a political comedian but for gently caress's sake, he's not there to offer meaningful insight. I can see why people don't like his style of comedy but complaining that he doesn't offer fair, well-reasoned arguments about his positions is missing the loving point. He's there to make people who lean left have a laugh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ufarn posted:

With a crowd cheering him on like the Colosseum.

Yeah that's totally unlike other Late Night Talk Shows.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Periodiko posted:

I remember when he often called Colbert the new guy

Isn't it funny how it seems like everything Kilborn hosts gets a lot more recognition after he leaves

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think the guy from Big Daddy and bit parts on Newsradio and Spin City was hired to be a political comedian.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

Waitaminute, they had jokes on the Kilborn Daily?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Waitaminute, they had jokes on the Kilborn Daily?

There was a pretty big one hosting it.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Irish Joe posted:

As opposed to you, making GBS threads on a much, much better comedian in favor of loving Craig Kilborn because he somehow insulted your political sensibilities.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Didn't Kilborn get suspended for two weeks for claiming in a magazine that Lizz Winstead wanted to gently caress him, or something like that?

I thought that was cool in a dickish "Outlaw Country except not in the country" kind of way, which goes to show what assholes 13-year-olds are.

EDIT

Wikipedia posted:

In a 1997 interview with Esquire, Kilborn made jokes regarding Daily Show co-creator and head writer Lizz Winstead, saying, "To be honest, Lizz does find me very attractive. If I wanted her to blow me, she would."[4] Kilborn apologized publicly and pointed out that the remarks were "said in jest," but he was suspended for a week.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 13, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Old School he just played himself.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

**sigh** How quickly people forget 5 questions... which turned into YAMBO.

Craig Kilborn was funny at one time but he got too full of himself and decided to make that jump into a little thing called career obscurity. Kilby played his cards wrong but what he did on his run of The Daily Show wasn't absent of any comedic merit.

Jon Stewart is a liberal blowhard but he's really really good at it. **checks tie collar and makes a Carsonesque "whoa"**

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I liked Craig Kilborn and he's the reason I get disappointed that the Minnesota Timberwolves won't win the NBA Championship anytime soon even though I don't have the time to watch basketball. You have to admit, it was amazing when the pretty ladies who guested were too dumb to win YAMBO no matter how much he tried to throw it in their favor. I remember Verne Troyer becoming the winner once due to that.

I can understand why people like the Ferguson show, but in 2014 I still miss that eerie eight-note theme song, the weird obsession with Dido's "Thank You", and the Five Questions. Although "Harmonica, Awkward Pause, or (random thing)" is really the new Five Questions.

We should probably just sit back and watch Jon Stewart be interviewed on early Daily Show via the World's Worst VHS Tape. The slowdown at three minutes is both wild and prescient.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 14, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that the other late night hosts should stage a mock beating in of colbert. Then when they have finished he gets up and starts his first monologue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching the MTV Movie Awards which I had DVRed last night and Conan is the best host they've ever had and probably will ever have. He looks like he had a ton of fun with it and the audience looks completely lost every time the camera pans over them after Conan does a bit, which is hilarious. I want him to host all award shows :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think the guy from Big Daddy and bit parts on Newsradio and Spin City was hired to be a political comedian.

You forgot when he played the Jay Leno like character on The Larry Sanders Show.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

The slowdown at three minutes is both wild and prescient.

Pretty sure that was an effect added by the uploader.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Craig got a new warm up comedian. I'll have to make multiple visits to see if he runs the same jokes into the ground like the last guy.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to figure out a time to go see Craig live before his show ends and he's replaced with Jason Sudeikis.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

Craig got a new warm up comedian. I'll have to make multiple visits to see if he runs the same jokes into the ground like the last guy.
Chunky B has been gone for awhile. But one constant is the Iota guy dishing out the "No cell phones are allowed in the studio and if you have a pager... gently caress!"

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Dr Tran posted:

Craig got a new warm up comedian.

They call him a comedian, but he's not really a comedian.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It's looking bad for Craig. Apparently Chelsea Handler tweeted some photo of a CBS employee handbook or something.

Geoff Peterson would probably just go to some CBS storage house, wouldn't he?

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

It's looking bad for Craig. Apparently Chelsea Handler tweeted some photo of a CBS employee handbook or something.

Geoff Peterson would probably just go to some CBS storage house, wouldn't he?

CBS said today that she wasn't there to discuss it; she was talking to the Syndication Division. In fact, they are saying they have had no discussions with her at all about 12:30.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/cbs-denies-discussions-with-chelsea-handler.html

quote:

In case her current bosses at E! haven’t gotten the message, Chelsea Handler is doing all she can to make it known that she’s on the market for a new gig. Whether everyone in the market is interested in her services is another question. Last night, Handler posted a photo of herself holding some papers carrying a giant CBS eye logo. “Business meeting,” the tag accompanying the pic read. Was this meant as a subtle way of confirming a report on the Wrap last week that Handler was “in talks” to rep[[lace Craig Ferguson as the Eye’s 12:35 a.m. host? If so, CBS isn’t playing along. “There are no discussions with Chelsea Handler regarding the network’s 12:30 late night broadcast,” a CBS spokesman told Vulture. “Her meeting with CBS yesterday was a general meeting with our syndication [division.]”

When her name came up originally, I read somewhere that it was just her people putting her name out there to get her name out there about it and starting rumors. This latest stunt by her is right along that line.

Another article on it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-rules-chelsea-handler-late-696288

quote:

But CBS isn't offering much insight into Handler's cryptic post. After reports surfaced that Handler could be a successor to Craig Ferguson at the Late Late Show, the network issued an official statement regarding the matter.
“There are no discussions with Chelsea Handler regarding the network’s 12:30 late-night broadcast,” a CBS spokesperson said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “Her meeting with CBS yesterday was a general meeting with our syndication group.”

Chand0X fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 16, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
So is Conan that hard up for money they're just running movie previews during the first desk segment now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

comes along bort posted:

So is Conan that hard up for money they're just running movie previews during the first desk segment now?

Yeah that was weird. I was waiting for their usual joke edit but... Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Craig told the internet to calm down with the speculation last night. "Even I don't care that much." Then one of the phone bits involved Chelsea Handler calling him to get measurements on the curtains she wants to replace. I'll miss Craig if he goes, but the fact that he seems to have some disdain for his format will make me feel less bad for him. I'd be curious to see what he would do next.