Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Rejoice! Crist is 7 points ahead of Scott in the polls and it's because people in Florida are hoppin' mad they don't have Obamacare.

Wish it was someone other than ppp, there was another poll a few days ago that was Scott +1. But it's from someone called "Susquehanna Polling & Research" and their website/twitter link for the poll just links to a Sunshine State News article which is a conservative FL news site. So I guess they're a lovely polling place as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

They are a republican pollster who had some really funny polls last election iirc

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just get the averaged graph from HuffPollster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Rejoice! Crist is 7 points ahead of Scott in the polls and it's because people in Florida are hoppin' mad they don't have Obamacare.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/04/09/obamacare-rejection-buries-rick-scott-charlie-crist-holds-49-42-lead-florida.html

58% of Floridians think Rick Scott should have taken the medicaid expansion and that he didn't take it for purely political reasons.

He tried, you ingrates! If there's one man in the Florida GOP who (after due consideration) wanted the Medicaid expansion so he could profit from / defraud it, it's Voldemort! :argh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Since I'm not on the phone anymore:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That's pretty rough on Crist considering the campaign hasn't, or has barely, started.

It also looks like Republicans are gonna rally around Scott. None of the primary challenger's names mean anything to mean but maybe Florida goons can enlighten me? Do any of those in the GOP Gubernatorial primary have a chance of even getting a decent chunk of the vote?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Dems getting overconfident only to fall into a feverish panic? Unlikely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He tried, you ingrates! If there's one man in the Florida GOP who (after due consideration) wanted the Medicaid expansion so he could profit from / defraud it, it's Voldemort! :argh:

No no, he doesn't own or have a stake in any health companies anymore. That would be a conflict of interest, so he transferred ownership to his wife.

Also he tried after helping lead the fight against expansion. It was only after expansion was defeated and it became clear that everyone in Florida hates Rick Scott that he changed his mind. Much like his recent revelation that education should be funded.

notthegoatseguy posted:

That's pretty rough on Crist considering the campaign hasn't, or has barely, started.

It also looks like Republicans are gonna rally around Scott. None of the primary challenger's names mean anything to mean but maybe Florida goons can enlighten me? Do any of those in the GOP Gubernatorial primary have a chance of even getting a decent chunk of the vote?

Nobody has the money to do anything. Even if Scott hadn't already demonstrated that he's willing to pour millions of his own fortune into the race, he's actually backed by the establishment this time so there's no real outside source of money. It's not like you can get much eviler either, so there's no insane conservative Daddy Warbucks lurking to fund someone.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 10, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
No one likes Scott, but Crist has some skeletons--some of which will be withheld until October (On the dawn of the 10th month, look to the Greer).

That said, Scott barely won in a wave election year while being a relative unknown against a weak campaigner. Crist isn't, so he has a shot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is there a more inept group of people in the country than the Florida democratic party?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is there a more inept group of people in the country than the Florida democratic party?

The Tennessee Democratic party.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Deteriorata posted:

The Tennessee Democratic party.

Nope. Florida had about 5% more democrats than republicans and they still punt election after elections. Tenn has more republicans.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Nope. Florida had about 5% more democrats than republicans and they still punt election after elections. Tenn has more republicans.

North Carolina has about 1.5x as many registered dems as republicans and their state party has completely disintegrated over a few grand in credit card bills. It's gotten so bad Kay Hagan has sidestepped the state party and filed with the Wake County dems as her campaign's joint fundraising partner:

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/427/14031202427/14031202427.pdf
http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/170/14031201170/14031201170.pdf

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What happens to all Democrats' A-grade talent in the midterm years? It's not just turnout being low, it honestly seems like any competent DNC or campaign personnel must be taking these years off on vacation.

OFA disappeared between 2008 and 2010, and 2010 was the unforgettable "they drove us into a ditch, don't give them the keys back" (read: "oh god don't expect us to actually govern") framing. 2014 seems to be shaping up to about the same quality.

e: Kaine gives Stewart a quiet finger right after Stewart tells him he's in trouble, at time index 2:13

No, gently caress YOU Jon!

Probably shouldn't gesticulate with the middle finger there buddy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 10, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

What happens to all Democrats' A-grade talent in the midterm years? It's not just turnout being low, it honestly seems like any competent DNC or campaign personnel must be taking these years off on vacation.

OFA disappeared between 2008 and 2010, and 2010 was the unforgettable "they drove us into a ditch, don't give them the keys back" (read: "oh god don't expect us to actually govern") framing. 2014 seems to be shaping up to about the same quality.

e: Kaine gives Stewart a quiet finger right after Stewart tells him he's in trouble, at time index 2:13

No, gently caress YOU Jon!

Probably shouldn't gesticulate with the middle finger there buddy.

They aren't offering their voters anything to get excited to vote for.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I'm not going to take us back to the argument about whether the minimum wage is a good thing to run on...but the minimum wage is a good thing to run on. And that's what the president is talking up now.

The lack of a reactionary point (Iraq War, Obamacare) never bodes well for a side, at least in the past decade.

There may be some segments of the activist base that demand bigger ideas, but activists generally aren't the sporadic voters that need to turn out.

Not to mention, the (broadly defined) left always seems to find ways to form a circular firing squad when it's not playing from behind.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Paul MaudDib posted:

OFA was created after Obama's inauguration out of his campaign organization solely to push his policy agenda. It was a separate entity from the dems and in many cases actively refused to work with local party orgs in 2010/2012.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
OFA did some advocacy work in 2010, like when they sent this email to their list asking people to write letters to the editor explaining that Obama's decision to freeze federal worker pay was a good idea.

quote:

The economy is growing again, yet all across America families and businesses have been tightening their belts. The President knows their government must do the same.

Yesterday, he announced a proposal to freeze pay for non-military federal employees for two years -- a plan that will lead to $60 billion in savings over 10 years. It's one of many tough choices the President has made to cut costs in the upcoming budget to begin to put our nation's fiscal house in order. And it follows directly from this administration's dedication to stretching federal dollars and reining in the long-term deficit.

Now, if you listen to some talk radio hosts or a few of the talking heads on cable news, you'll hear a very different assessment of our fiscal policies. These voices ignore the irresponsibility of the past while pinning the blame for "reckless spending" solely on this administration. It would make a good fairy tale if it weren't so dangerously untrue.

But these voices -- as loud as they are -- are spreading bunk. Cutting costs and spending responsibly has been a cornerstone of this administration's record. And we need your help to get the truth out there.

Will you take a few minutes and write a letter to the editor today to set the record straight?

Using our letter-to-the-editor tool is easy, and we'll provide tips and talking points to get you started.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

OFA did some advocacy work in 2010, like when they sent this email to their list asking people to write letters to the editor explaining that Obama's decision to freeze federal worker pay was a good idea.

I got the impression that it wasn't so much that the pay freeze was a good idea, it was trying to counter the meme in conservative media that blamed Obama for the recession and the deficit, while claiming that spending under Obama was out of control.

The freeze was actually a dumb thing, but exactly the opposite of what Obama and the Democrats were being accused of.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Going to step in and say that OFA was not entirely unhelpful compared to local parties. There were 2 competitive D seats near me and the local committees did jack squat because they don't know how to work together or were run by city machine pols or just had no real membership. OFA (or at least the OFA director I worked with) actually sent out constant pleas to get anyone and everyone into one of those districts, even going as far as to just send out lists of numbers to call so that people didn't need to travel, but since the bigger local parties were in a safe D district, they did nothing. We lost both races.

What was even more infuriating was watching one of those local incumbents throw away a lead and lose after refusing to spend his last $100,000 because he'd always saved that money to roll over to his next election. Oops.

In my experience, local parties seem terribly unaware of the realities of today's elections because they're captive to local politicians who run them in a way that mostly ensures their survival.

Now we actually have a few OFA people on the local party board, and you know what? We actually got two useless city council Dems who just used the party as a fundraising tool go independent rather than have to work for the good of the party. At least one is likely to lose to a real Dem...who just so happens to be that former OFA director.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 11, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

I'm not going to take us back to the argument about whether the minimum wage is a good thing to run on...but the minimum wage is a good thing to run on. And that's what the president is talking up now.

The lack of a reactionary point (Iraq War, Obamacare) never bodes well for a side, at least in the past decade.

There may be some segments of the activist base that demand bigger ideas, but activists generally aren't the sporadic voters that need to turn out.

Not to mention, the (broadly defined) left always seems to find ways to form a circular firing squad when it's not playing from behind.

I never argued that the minimum wage isn't a good thing to run on. I argued that it wasn't going to be enough because it didn't have a direct impact on enough people's lives...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

I bet if you had tried to guess what the big issues in the Kentucky and Iowa Senate primaries would be this year you wouldn't have picked cockfighting and castration.

Uh, I think we all thought Obamacare would be a major issue? :confused:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The truck's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4arc6oCNr0

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
When Scott Brown dies we should really bury him in that loving truck lest it comes back to haunt us with more carpetbaggers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

When Scott Brown dies we should really bury him in that loving truck lest it comes back to haunt us with more carpetbaggers.

Good luck. It will only find a new puppet in its quest for power.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

sullat posted:

Good luck. It will only find a new puppet in its quest for power.

That truck keeps taking him closer and closer to Maine, and we all know about Maine...

:ohdear:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
NYTimes has a fascinating article about the GOP primary to challenge Senator Hagan in NC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/us/politics/north-carolina-shows-strains-within-republican-party.html?hp&_r=0

Basically, every flavor of Republican is present here.
  • Thom Tillis, frontrunner with backing from business and donor Republicans.
  • Greg Bannon, runner-up Tea Partier endorsed by Rand Paul, Mike Lee, and Glenn Beck
  • Mark Harris, evangelical strongly advocating anti-gay marriage and pro-life views.

A recent WSJ article concludes:

quote:

A poll taken late last month showed Mr. Tillis with an eight percentage-point lead over his next closest Republican rival, Mr. Brannon. The same public-opinion survey showed Ms. Hagan trailing each of the potential GOP nominees.

If no Republican garners 40% of the vote in the primary, the top two candidates will face each other in a July 15 runoff.

I really hope there's a runoff. It would be so fun to watch, when the less boring candidates like Bannon say things like this, from the NYTimes article:

quote:

The Constitution has three crimes: treason, piracy and counterfeiting. The Fed does all three.

He also has a history of remarks that even some in his own party consider provocative: He has praised Jesse Helms, the longtime Republican senator from North Carolina who never renounced racial segregation, as a modern hero, and during the 2012 election said a vote for Mr. Romney would advance tyranny. Some of the leaders liken him to Todd Akin, the Republican congressman who won the 2012 primary to face Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri, only to alienate voters with comments suggesting that women who are victims of legitimate rape rarely become pregnant.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 13, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah Tillis has wound up spending most of his money trying to avoid a runoff with little to show for it so far. Brannon's numbers have actually gone up since his fraud conviction in February.

e: Here's some more fun light reading on Brannon:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/12/rand-paul-endorse-greg-brannon-secessionist-rally

e2: In semi-related news, Cook Political Report has shifted the potential race in NC-2 between Renee Ellmers and Clay Aiken away from solid to likely Republican, because why not.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 13, 2014

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

The Constitution has three crimes: treason, piracy and counterfeiting. The Fed does all three.

Since this was brought up, I had a question that's been bugging me for a while. I hear most of these ultra conservative/libertarian types say they want to eliminate the fed and go back on the gold standard. But it occurred to me the other day that the Fed was created while the U.S. was still on the gold standard. I'm a little confused as to how that works.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
So are they.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mr Interweb posted:

Since this was brought up, I had a question that's been bugging me for a while. I hear most of these ultra conservative/libertarian types say they want to eliminate the fed and go back on the gold standard. But it occurred to me the other day that the Fed was created while the U.S. was still on the gold standard. I'm a little confused as to how that works.

I think the people advocating that own a lot of gold.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Before the Fed money was issued by private banks, which meant it vanished into the aether when the banks failed, causing financial havoc. The Fed was created to serve as a universal issuer of money that wouldn't implode regularly and cause financial panics. However it was still backed by gold until the 1930s. It's more complicated than this but that's the simple explanation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

Before the Fed money was issued by private banks, which meant it vanished into the aether when the banks failed, causing financial havoc. The Fed was created to serve as a universal issuer of money that wouldn't implode regularly and cause financial panics. However it was still backed by gold until the 1930s. It's more complicated than this but that's the simple explanation.

No, this is wrong. Private bank issue ended about 50 years before the Fed was created, due to taxes being imposed on "state bank" issued currency effective July 1, 1866, which made private banknotes effectively impossible to produce and use versus federal currency.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

De Nomolos posted:

What I don't get is why he chose NH. That's a pretty intelligent state. Why not Florida? No one is actually from there and they'll elect criminals if they like old people enough and know the right lies to tell.

He has a vacation home here, he's a national brand because of the publicity he got taking Kennedy's seat and just look at the other guys running in the primary. He's the most mainstream guy they have.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Install Windows posted:

No, this is wrong. Private bank issue ended about 50 years before the Fed was created, due to taxes being imposed on "state bank" issued currency effective July 1, 1866, which made private banknotes effectively impossible to produce and use versus federal currency.

No, this is wrong. The United States Dollar is actually harvested from the leaves of a secret garden of "money trees" hidden in Central Park.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Scott Brown has hit upon a new campaign tactic: Accuse your opponent of voting with the Senators from Massachusetts.

quote:

Eager to shed his identity as a former senator from Massachusetts, Scott Brown's campaign is now apparently deriding his opponent as the "third senator from Massachusetts."

As he kicked off his Senate campaign in New Hampshire last week, Brown received assistance from the state's former Republican governor, John H. Sununu.

Sununu didn't steer clear of Brown's biggest impediment as a candidate in the Granite State. Instead, the former White House chief of staff who served as one of Mitt Romney's most confrontational surrogates in 2012 projected that weakness right onto Brown's Democratic opponent, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen.

[Shaheen] votes with Elizabeth Warren. She votes with [Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Ed] Markey. She is the third senator from Massachusetts, Sunnunu said at Brown's Portsmouth, N.H. rally, according to Yahoo's Chris Moody. Scotts happiest days as a young man were in New Hampshire. So its going to be great to have a senator that was born virtually in the state of New Hampshire. Jean Shaheen, by the way, was born in Missouri!

Yeah, Jeanne Shaheen was governor for four years and has been Senator for 6 more. I'd say it's a stretch to call her a transplant now, but I suppose Scott will do anything to distract from the fact that he's carpetbagging to NH because Elizabeth Warren spanked his tail in MA.

Also, trotting out that old senile racist Sununu :laffo:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Scott Brown has hit upon a new campaign tactic: Accuse your opponent of voting with the Senators from Massachusetts.

Yeah, Jeanne Shaheen was governor for four years and has been Senator for 6 more. I'd say it's a stretch to call her a transplant now, but I suppose Scott will do anything to distract from the fact that he's carpetbagging to NH because Elizabeth Warren spanked his tail in MA.

Also, trotting out that old senile racist Sununu :laffo:

Yeah well ...

http://nhpr.org/post/obama-says-shaheen-should-stay-and-brown-should-run-texas

quote:

In 2011, Congressional Quarterly found Brown voted in support of the presidents agenda 70 percent of the time -- second only to Susan Collins of Maine among Republicans. But when asked on New England Cable News about Browns possible run here, the President made clear he prefers the incumbent.

Jeanne Shaheen has been a terrific senator, just like she was a great governor. But if Scott Brown wants to move down to Texas, then we could always use some moderate Republicans in other parts of the country. New Hampshire has already got it covered with a great senator."

Nice try though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Also, I think Shaheen should helpfully point out that Scott Brown didn't think that being a senator from Massachusetts was such a bad thing when he was, you know...a senator from Massachusetts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's really too funny. His biggest weakness is the carpetbagging thing and he goes and draws attention to it as one of his primary campaign strategies? Never stop running, Scott Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alter Ego posted:

That's a classic Karl Rove campaign technique - figure out what your greatest weakness is, and accuse your opponent of it. It scrambles the narrative, puts them on the defensive, confuses low-information voters, and forces the media to treat your biggest weakness as a he-said/she-said/perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle kind of muddle, which has the overall effect of nullifying your weakness. For example: aggressively tarring John Kerry as a chickenshit fake solider who shirked his duty and lied about his service.

• Locked thread