Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Invincible definitely started well enough, but Kirkman tends to go into shock value and violence, and his work really lacks the heart that Bendis's USM has.
Eg invincible 110

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I once heard that the paperback "manga" style collections of the Runaways was altered or even censored from the original issues but the full sized hardcover was not. I can't find anything to confirm this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure what exactly would be censored, I have the full sized hardcovers and there isn't anything that objectionable.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure what exactly would be censored, I have the full sized hardcovers and there isn't anything that objectionable.

Right that's what I was thinking but on the off chance a word/panel was changed I might, in theory, replace my copy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't there something about a video game version of Sue Storm having excessive cleavage while Captain America is saying "This is retarded"?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Gavok posted:

Wasn't there something about a video game version of Sue Storm having excessive cleavage while Captain America is saying "This is retarded"?

Ha! Wow, the Cap line is still there but they totally gave Sue an under shirt.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ha! Wow, the Cap line is still there but they totally gave Sue an under shirt.

Not on Comixology.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And that's how Runaways started.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Having trouble remembering a comic series.

I think it came out about 5 or so years ago, or at least in the last 6 or so years. I wanna say it was it's own little universe (sorta like the MAX stuff with marvel), but this didn't have any major players in it. It was something like a group of people get powers all of a sudden?

The only one I can remember was an older white guy who somehow made flat light or rectangle things that he uses as steps in a panel, and I think he ends up killing some guy cause he was a mugger or a bad guy or something by slicing him up with the square things.

I don't think it was a very long series, but damned if I can remember anything about it other than a few panels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm too lazy to pull out the books and look, but was the older white guy Bruce Willis? I'm thinking NewUniversal, which fell victim to the Warren Ellis Hard Drive Crash of Ought Seven.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think that's it! The art style looks the same.

Awesome. That's been bugging me for days and searching google for "comics white squares" and other misc ideas didn't help out much.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Can someone fill this gap for me? What do I read to find out how Peter Quill got out of that impossible situation with Thanos and Nova? What the hell happened to Richard Rider? Did he not make out then? What about Drax? He's alive and kicking in 2013 GotG.

Also I am assuming young Nova is being written retrospectively since he was in AvX, which came out before his first book.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You aren't crazy, none of it has been explained. Bendis said he's going to address it, but I figure it will just be in some off-hand panel somewhere down the line.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Bendis said he'll explain how Starlord escaped in the Guardians of the Galaxy Original Sin tie in issues.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Oh god. The thought that I was missing something obvious sounded way better than that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

itskage posted:

Oh god. The thought that I was missing something obvious sounded way better than that.

But Original Sin is Jason Aaron doing a murder mystery with superheroes and that sounds great.

SMP
May 5, 2009

itskage posted:

Can someone fill this gap for me? What do I read to find out how Peter Quill got out of that impossible situation with Thanos and Nova? What the hell happened to Richard Rider? Did he not make out then? What about Drax? He's alive and kicking in 2013 GotG.

Also I am assuming young Nova is being written retrospectively since he was in AvX, which came out before his first book.

Avengers Assemble had an arc in it's first few issues where Thanos comes to earth and the guardians show up and work with the Avengers. It also gives a little explanation as to why the Badoon are attacking Earth in Bendis' first Guardians issue. You also need to account for the Trial of Jean Grey event post-Infinity.

e: And Rocket & Groot's adventures in the comics bundled with the Annihilators series.

e2: Similarly, I think I'm missing something in Black Bolt's timeline during War/Realm of Kings, Hickman's Fantastic Four and Infinity.

How did he come back to life after dying in the fault with Vulcan? He was alive in Infinity when I read it which confused me, but then in Hickmna's Fantastic Four it's just mentioned he's alive again somehow. Is this explained in anything?

SMP fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 13, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I thought the big screwy time storm at the end of Age of Ultron was what brought Quill and Thanos back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

I thought the big screwy time storm at the end of Age of Ultron was what brought Quill and Thanos back?

They came back before Age of Ultron.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

They came back before Age of Ultron.

That's how hosed up time was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

That's how hosed up time was.

We can laugh at how terrible AoA was but the two events were unrelated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Avengers Assemble had an arc in it's first few issues where Thanos comes to earth and the guardians show up and work with the Avengers. It also gives a little explanation as to why the Badoon are attacking Earth in Bendis' first Guardians issue. You also need to account for the Trial of Jean Grey event post-Infinity.

Ah yes but you see the less we talk about the first arc of Avengers Assemble the happier we'll be.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

We can laugh at how terrible AoA was but the two events were unrelated.

No they were definitely related, as I was definitely saying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

No they were definitely related, as I was definitely saying.

In that they were both written by Bendis and both were pretty bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Bendis wrote Age of Apocalypse, actually.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Literally The Worst posted:

But Original Sin is Jason Aaron doing a murder mystery with superheroes and that sounds great.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mind, Watchmen was also a "murder mystery, but with superheroes".

I imagine Original Sin will fall between these two examples. I have a hard time imagining one worse than Identity Crisis, but I always keep an open mind re: the possibility of terrible comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As long as the big reveal isn't that Thanos raped Uatu, I'm going to say that there's no way it could be worse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

As long as the big reveal isn't that Thanos raped Uatu, I'm going to say that there's no way it could be worse.

Uatu wasn't the victim, but he did watch.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Who is the intended audience for this?
https://www.comixology.com/Storyteller/digital-comic/29928

If one liked the movies Labrynth and Dark Crystal, and one liked comics and stories being told, then is this one to pick up at this price?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BadAstronaut posted:

Who is the intended audience for this?
https://www.comixology.com/Storyteller/digital-comic/29928

If one liked the movies Labrynth and Dark Crystal, and one liked comics and stories being told, then is this one to pick up at this price?

I dunno, I remember The Storyteller from when it was a television show, and it was more Fraggle Rock than The Dark Crystal.

It's been a while, though, I might be misremembering.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What a loving ugly cover. I mean, Turner's art is fine, but I mistook that for an old Wizard cover while scrolling down.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Current previews point to the villain of Original Sin being The Orb which automatically makes it a million times better than Identity Crisis.

And I trust Aaron not to include rape retcons.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Current previews point to the villain of Original Sin being The Orb which automatically makes it a million times better than Identity Crisis.

Oh my God. That would be like what they tried to do with Dr. Light (minus the rape), only it's been actually built up to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wait, who the gently caress is that, and how has it been built up to?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is this the same Orb from Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hakkesshu posted:

Wait, who the gently caress is that, and how has it been built up to?

Spoiling because Boss Waterhaul spoiled.

He's a recurring villain in Jason Aaron's various Marvel work, first reintroduced in Ghost Rider. His head is a giant eyeball, which looks freaky, but it's actually a giant weakness that goes with how pathetic he truly is. He showed up in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine, where some time traveling adventures hardened him and made him all jacked. I can't remember if he retained all that at the end or not. Regardless, an eyeball-headed supervillain stealing Uatu's eyeball sounds about right.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Waterhaul posted:

Wow that makes a whole lot of sense, if true.

The Orb was a lame Ghost Rider villain who Aaron first included as a joke character in his run on Ghost Rider. Part of his schitick was he was an embarrasment, but he had delusions of grandure.

He next showed up in Astonishin Spider-Man/ Wolverine ,another story by Aaron, where he stumbles onto the secrets of time travel.

He also appeared in Aaron's run on the Hulk where he has become obsessing with stealing people's eyes as the windows to their souls. All of this matches up with what we know about Original Sin. In which case, this has been well setup.

So, at least, if that is true, then Original Sin at least won't fail as a mystery story.
(That, in my opinion, was the worst thing about Identity Crisis. It was written by Brad Meltzer, a Crime Novelist, and he crafts what seems like an excellent Locked Room mystery. But the entire resolution to it is just cack-handed that the whole thing falls apart.
Why does a Crime Novelist fail at telling a Who-dunnit story?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gavok posted:

Spoiling because Boss Waterhaul spoiled.

He's a recurring villain in Jason Aaron's various Marvel work, first reintroduced in Ghost Rider. His head is a giant eyeball, which looks freaky, but it's actually a giant weakness that goes with how pathetic he truly is. He showed up in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine, where some time traveling adventures hardened him and made him all jacked. I can't remember if he retained all that at the end or not. Regardless, an eyeball-headed supervillain stealing Uatu's eyeball sounds about right.

I was kind of just guessing based on the preview art from issue 2. Plus the hood only has one eye hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, thanks. I guess I should read more of Aaron's stuff outside of WatX.