Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Literally The Worst posted:

I hate his loving face. I don't mean that in a facetious way I mean I literally hate his face and want to hit it.

Lame, dude. Jesse Plemmons is tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I spent about 5 hours today marathoning the last few episodes of the 6th season of Mad Men, and I'm in love. I liked the show a lot, but I think the 6th season is my favorite yet. The set design and cinematography are as great as always, but I feel like things are finally turning against Don, and he may actually be learning. Plus Pete gets poo poo on a LOT, which I'm a fan of.

Now to avoid spoilers for season 7A.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I spent about 5 hours today marathoning the last few episodes of the 6th season of Mad Men, and Plus Pete gets poo poo on a LOT, which I'm a fan of.

He also puts in maybe the greatest line reading of the entire series.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LesterGroans posted:

He also puts in maybe the greatest line reading of the entire series.

I'm wrapping up the sixth season as I type this and nothing is coming to mind. What?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

I'm wrapping up the sixth season as I type this and nothing is coming to mind. What?

Probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSZd6MnEuLw

Although if I have to pick one great line reading, it's gotta be Don whining like a baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkVhu0xKc0

Edit: I can't find a Youtube clip of Ginsberg quoting the Bhagavad Gita, and Benson's response, which is another great moment. Season 6 Mad Men is so good.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm starting to get real sick of the dismissive criticism that a film is "emotionally manipulative." What does that even mean? That the movie uses music and imagery to evoke specific feelings in the audience? Like every other movie ever made?

"Emotionally manipulative" tells me nothing. It's not enough to say that the orchestra in Titanic swells during key scenes in order to make you feel sad. You have to explain why it doesn't work for you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Raid 2 takes a while to get going, but when it does, it gets going

Yes indeed. That was a fun loving movie. A bit long, but never boring.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

weekly font posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/04/13/2014-mtv-movie-awards-winners-list/7683295/

Hey guys why aren't we talking about The Hunger Games 2 sweeping the most important awards show of them all?

Thank god someone is finally recognizing World War Z!!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm starting to get real sick of the dismissive criticism that a film is "emotionally manipulative." What does that even mean? That the movie uses music and imagery to evoke specific feelings in the audience? Like every other movie ever made?

"Emotionally manipulative" tells me nothing. It's not enough to say that the orchestra in Titanic swells during key scenes in order to make you feel sad. You have to explain why it doesn't work for you.

I find your criticism problematic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Vargo, I finally watched Frozen tonight, and I caught this post from early on the movie's thread:

And I'm gonna have to ask you return your ears to the proper authorities, because you just lost the right to use them. For all of the complaints one can level at Wicked, and there are a number, if you don't get chills down your spine, bumps on your arm, and randomly stand and applaud at the final note of that song, you have no soul. Let It Go doesn't come close.

Dude, Dickeye has a better taste in music than you.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

CPL593H posted:

What makes me sad about Melissa McCarthy is that she's one of those fantastic actors who gets nothing but poo poo material.
I feel like overweight comediennes tend to get typecast almost instantly as gormless and overbearing, like her, Rebel Wilson, and Artemis Pebdani.

Literally The Worst posted:

I hate his loving face. I don't mean that in a facetious way I mean I literally hate his face and want to hit it.
I do too, but with most of his characters it seems like part of the point. It kind of works to the advantage of The Master and Breaking Bad to see this guy who looks creepy as hell at first sight.

TrixRabbi posted:

I always took it to mean "so overt about its message that it comes off as mawkish or maudlin." At least that's how I felt about Soul Food.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw "Down With Love" (2003, music: Mark Shaiman; dp: Jeff Croenweth; editor: Larry Bock) (seriously, check imdb for those 3) last night and it was really funny and charming. If you liked the Rock Hudson/Doris Day romcoms this is very inspired by them, complete with a familiar cameo.

This title rules http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2093965/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 14, 2014

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

effectual posted:

Saw "Down With Love" (2003, music: Mark Shaiman; dp: Jeff Croenweth; editor: Larry Bock) (seriously, check imdb for those 3) last night and it was really funny and charming. If you liked the Rock Hudson/Doris Day romcoms this is very inspired by them, complete with a familiar cameo.

That's a very unappreciated movie. The turn in the movie is one of the funniest, weirdest things, and the movie pulls it off gloriously. (And I hate the Hudson/Day comedies!)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Down With Love is incredible, and wonderful, and perfect. Although it's weird watching it and knowing Sarah Paulson and David Hyde Pierce are both gay.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

effectual posted:

This title rules http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2093965/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Aw hell yes Down With Love is just spectacular.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah I've never found that persuasive. I mean I do get how people can go "oh that's too much" when a movie's laying it on really thick, but that's an aesthetic objection. There's no need to make it out like the movie's a reality show contestant trying to trick you into showing weakness. I have pretty much the opposite approach anyway, I'll give points to any movie that can make a hollow and jaded piece of poo poo like me actually feel something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was drunk and half asleep when this show came on about an alien played by "Fred". I thought I dreamt it.

I did not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74dYZCUlYI

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DNS posted:

Yeah I've never found that persuasive. I mean I do get how people can go "oh that's too much" when a movie's laying it on really thick, but that's an aesthetic objection. There's no need to make it out like the movie's a reality show contestant trying to trick you into showing weakness. I have pretty much the opposite approach anyway, I'll give points to any movie that can make a hollow and jaded piece of poo poo like me actually feel something.

The thing is that every movie is trying to be emotionally manipulative. What do you think Lynch is doing with the industrial ambiance in Eraserhead? What is Welles doing when he uses backlighting to cast characters in shadow during Citizen Kane? It is the nature of art to emotionally manipulate the audience. It's when a film fails to achieve the desired emotional response that is the problem. The job of the critic is to say why that film failed to elicit the response it was aiming to get. Most people just leave it at "manipulative."

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

DNS posted:

I can't find any instances where I used the word "manipulative" in a review, but I feel more-or-less the same as you.

I thought The Majestic was a good example of a movie that others called manipulative that I found surprisingly heartwarming. I wouldn't call it a work of art, but it did its job better than I'd have expected.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think this is connected by people's strange hatred of melodrama (but they love Star Wars).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not that I dislike the movie or anything, I really do enjoy it despite the problems, but Super 8 was one of those movies that had forced scenes of emotion for people. The alien is only one i kind of agree with. I do love the end though. But the alien always bothered me a little bit. Not enough to drat the movie but enough to go - :crossarms: for a second.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

CineD should really put out a style guide with words to avoid, e.g. "overrated," "problematic," "pretentious," "boring," "manipulative"… I'd propose to release it in book form, but, well… :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Overrated is the worst word you can use to describe a movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CloseFriend posted:

I can't find any instances where I used the word "manipulative" in a review, but I feel more-or-less the same as you.

I thought The Majestic was a good example of a movie that others called manipulative that I found surprisingly heartwarming. I wouldn't call it a work of art, but it did its job better than I'd have expected.

I would call it a work of art.

I would call The Majestic a work of art.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I would call it a work of art.

I would call The Majestic a work of art.

Oh god, you again with The Majestic. I'm just going to shake my head sadly.

I remember enjoying Down With Love but LOVING the costume and production design.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

CineD should really put out a style guide with words to avoid, e.g. "overrated," "problematic," "pretentious," "boring," "manipulative"… I'd propose to release it in book form, but, well… :(

"hamfisted"

"took me out of the movie"

I'm not even entirely sure why, but those two drive me up the wall.

edit: and I'd argue in favour of "boring". It's not necessarily a criticism; Jeanne Dielman is definitely boring, but that's kind of the point.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Let's just quit using words altogether when talking about films. If you can't relay your criticism of a film through scat singing, you don't really belong in Cinema Discusso.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Let's just quit using words altogether when talking about films. If you can't relay your criticism of a film through scat singing, you don't really belong in Cinema Discusso.

I initially read this as 'scat signing', and I'm still not convinced you didn't accidentally spell it wrong.

Personally, though, I think a well placed .gif is really all the prowess you need to be a reviewer nowadays. My take on I've Got Your Number (1934):

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

morestuff posted:

Yeah, it's this:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vargo posted:

As a reminder, I have been saying for years that the successor to Mad Men needs to be a '60s dramatization about the Marvel offices, called The Bullpen, starring Bryan Cranston as Stan Lee.
Until then I'll just have to read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vincent posted:

Until then I'll just have to read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story again.

Just started rereading this again this morning. So good.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Mr. Flunchy posted:

edit: and I'd argue in favour of "boring". It's not necessarily a criticism; Jeanne Dielman is definitely boring, but that's kind of the point.

Man, I don't know, if we can't call a film boring then we're entering a world that's really detached from the actual experience of watching the film. My policy is that the worst thing a movie can be is boring (unless it's the point - in which case I'll let Jeanne Dielman go).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

"hamfisted"

"took me out of the movie"

I'm not even entirely sure why, but those two drive me up the wall.

I think the trouble with both of these is that while they're both valid problems to have with a movie, everyone (myself included) has a tendency for some reason to stop with those phrases and not go into the why/how of them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's okay to be glib if you can back it up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I use "ham-fisted", but it feels like an odd one to complain about since it's almost always describing something specific. I guess it's kind of a dumb word, but I've always liked the visual image.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

Things like this and so much of negative criticism always reminds me of Hume's is-ought problem. They fail to make an argument from the description of what the movie is to why the movie ought not to be that.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 31, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with saying something took you out of the movie, or that a movie was boring but that also shouldn't be where your criticism begins and ends. Even the thing that brought this up, something being emotionally manipulative, is something that can be a legit criticism, but you need more than just that or else it's just not actually giving any information. Like when people are saying a movie is emotionally manipulative, they usually mean that the ways that it's forcing emotions are really obvious and kind of forced. It's a criticism that isn't so much about the concept of emotional manipulation but how badly it's being done. People tend to disconnect from a movie when it's trying really hard to make them feel a certain way about stuff that they just aren't feeling and that tends to also put people in a position where the strings are more apparent and distracting.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I do all my reviews through interpretive dance. I had to eat a lot of tacos before I could dance my review of Salo.

DetoxP posted:

Man, I don't know, if we can't call a film boring then we're entering a world that's really detached from the actual experience of watching the film. My policy is that the worst thing a movie can be is boring (unless it's the point - in which case I'll let Jeanne Dielman go).
I actually feel this way too, although even intentional boredom irritates the gently caress out of me, like with l'Avventura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with saying something took you out of the movie, or that a movie was boring but that also shouldn't be where your criticism begins and ends. Even the thing that brought this up, something being emotionally manipulative, is something that can be a legit criticism, but you need more than just that or else it's just not actually giving any information. Like when people are saying a movie is emotionally manipulative, they usually mean that the ways that it's forcing emotions are really obvious and kind of forced. It's a criticism that isn't so much about the concept of emotional manipulation but how badly it's being done. People tend to disconnect from a movie when it's trying really hard to make them feel a certain way about stuff that they just aren't feeling and that tends to also put people in a position where the strings are more apparent and distracting.

The thing about manipulation is that literally every film does (or at least attempts) it. It's when a movie does it poorly that's the problem.

I suppose manipulation would be better used to describe a film with a twist, like Vertigo or Mulholland Drive, where it leads you to believe and feel a certain way about its characters before suddenly ripping the floor out from under you. The filmmaker is deceiving you so that the reality of the situation hurts more when it's revealed.

• Locked thread