Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, I was wondering, in all of robot anime, is there anyone other than Amuro who becomes an actual adult over the course of a series? I mean, both his appearance and personality changing completely and becoming all calm and settled down.

edit: duuuh, Gurren Lagann I guess. Anything other than that?
Isn't Kazumi from Gunbuster 30 by the end of the series?
Also, Setsuna is something like 23 during the 00 movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Did they add more Queadluun-Rea animations, or keep armor Klan from Z-2? Part of me wants to do an all angry girl gimmick run since there's enough candidates in this version. I ask mainly because the new YF-29 animations are slick as hell.

Wow, you weren't kidding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5YTmlbWBo - is that a secret unit this time around or just an upgrade? Speaking of, is there any talk of secret units/characters? All I've heard is that so far it seems pretty lean.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanos posted:

It's actually pretty amazing how lame Amata/Mikono are, because the series has some pretty impressive stuff in the supporting cast relationships. Andy coming to terms with loving someone for who they are in spite of anime's tendency to play off male/male relationships for laughs or Yunoha coming to terms with Jin's death are both really good.
Amata/Zessica for life. gently caress you Mikono!!

Yeah she's a terrible character. Honestly Amata was pretty lousy in the series too but I do appreciate that SRW has him just constantly yelling in all his attacks.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't even know if she's worth hating, since she's just...it's like she's not even there.
She gets hated because she and Amata pretty much tank the series. Like the plot is stupid but that's par for the course for most animes, but I like to think most people watch this stuff for a. mechs and b. characters and it's a shame these two can completely deep six an entire series on their own. Like Kanos pointed out, there's some pretty okay stuff if you're willing to look into it (I kind of doubt many people really saw the MIX thing for what it tried to do but whatever) but it's tough to think about it when you got Amata getting horny over Mikono any time they glance at each other and he FLOATS OFF yelling MIKONO-SAN!!!!

Also yeah you are in for some probably pretty funny surprises if you don't know the EVOL plot.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ShiunTouya posted:

Are we talking about Mikono? :allears:

What's her Ace Bonus?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dr Pepper posted:

What's her Ace Bonus?

Shares her 'Element Power' with the entire allied team.

I think it's SP Regen.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Did Z3 change EVOL's plot at all? Considering how Z1 used Aquarion, it'd be really awkward if it didn't.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Did Z3 change EVOL's plot at all? Considering how Z1 used Aquarion, it'd be really awkward if it didn't.

From what I can tell:

The plot of Z1 Aquarion and its relation to EVOL is quickly shoved into a corner by way of Time Prisons and no one remembering Z1 Aquarion anyway.

As for changing EVOL's plot:

Kagura and Zessica get more interaction so their hookup at the end doesn't appear to come totally out of left field. Jin survives and is not stuffed into a frog. That's about it.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Dr Pepper posted:

What's her Ace Bonus?

Shares her Element power (+5 SP regeneration) to the entire team she's in, including sub pilots.

EDIT: Shrade also survives, but his and Jin's survival is tied to an if route apparently.

ShiunTouya fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 14, 2014

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man that's about what I expected outside of just rewriting the love arcs completely. Good changes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TARDISman posted:

Isn't Kazumi from Gunbuster 30 by the end of the series?
Also, Setsuna is something like 23 during the 00 movie.
Kazumi physically changed but her voice and personality didn't seem to change very much to me (but maybe I am misremembering). As for Setsuna, I only saw him a little bit but it seems to be the same thing.

edit:

quote:

(I kind of doubt many people really saw the MIX thing for what it tried to do but whatever)
I guess you can add me to the list of people who have no idea what they were trying to do with her, other than make a vastly more boring version of Kaname. What's with her name? I looked at her encyclopedia entry hoping to learn but it didn't have a hint.

Also, it looks like the male and female characters in Evol were designed by different people.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 14, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ShiunTouya posted:

Shares her Element power (+5 SP regeneration) to the entire team she's in, including sub pilots.

So basically once you get her Ace'd there's no reason to use her again. :v:

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

So basically once you get her Ace'd there's no reason to use her again. :v:

She needs to be seated in Gepard at least!

EDIT: Byalant Custom is a secret: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23332511

ShiunTouya fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 14, 2014

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!
Is the general premise of this games story that all the returning characters lost their memories of the last games?

Eternal Volfogg fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 14, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess you can add me to the list of people who have no idea what they were trying to do with her, other than make a vastly more boring version of Kaname. What's with her name? I looked at her encyclopedia entry hoping to learn but it didn't have a hint.

EVOL spoilers ahead. MIX hates men because of issues stemming from her father basically abandoning their family. Andy is initially attracted to her due to her having enormous anime breasts. She initially rejects him due to her issues, but through a surprisingly decent series of interactions for two side characters in an anime they grow close. MIX gets kidnapped by the bad dudes and taken to their planet, so the Aquarion dudes mount a rescue mission and find out that she's lost her memories and due to whatever the gently caress is wrong with Bad Guy Planet she's also turned into a guy. When Andy finds this out he has a brief moment of Gay Panic about "Oh god if she's a guy now and I'm still crushing what does that make me" before coming to terms with this and deciding that he loves MIX for who they are regardless of their gender. The two of them even combine and help Amata for the final battle with MIX still as a guy. The post-series "one month later" shot shows her having changed back into her female body over time, but it's really rather touching that they would have him decide "I'm going to love you for who you are" rather than "I'm going to find a way to restore your titties so I can go back to loving you".

As for her name, Blame Anime.

Eternal Volfogg posted:

Is the general premise of this games story that all the returning characters lost their memories of the last games?

Looks like it, except Kei from Orguss. When people see something that reminds them of the way the world used to be they seem to get headaches.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Kagura and Zessica get more interaction so their hookup at the end doesn't appear to come totally out of left field.

Unless they toned down Zessica's big crush on Amata that's still totally awful. "I love this person for who he is" does not lead to "I love this person who looks my crush but is explicitly his opposite in every way" in anything but a lovely wrap-up.

I'm going to guess nobody cared about making EVOL work, which I can respect because man. EVOL. :effort:

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's with her name?

The joke is chromosomes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Kanos posted:

Looks like it, except Kei from Orguss. When people see something that reminds them of the way the world used to be they seem to get headaches.

To expand on this:

When Kei first runs into the group, everyone at first comments that the Orguss looks familiar before they remember him. Kei, meanwhile, looks at the Aquarion from EVOL and is about to greet Apollo when he gets a headache. After that headache passes he doesn't recognize the Aquarion anymore.

Several people, like Char, appear to realize that there is something deeply wrong with the world as is, even if they don't remember specifics.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Pureauthor posted:

To expand on this:

When Kei first runs into the group, everyone at first comments that the Orguss looks familiar before they remember him. Kei, meanwhile, looks at the Aquarion from EVOL and is about to greet Apollo when he gets a headache. After that headache passes he doesn't recognize the Aquarion anymore.

Several people, like Char, appear to realize that there is something deeply wrong with the world as is, even if they don't remember specifics.

Well that is rather depressing, wtf. Maybe all the missing series will re-appear and fix that in Z3.2 though i have heard amuro regains memories towards the end?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, a lot of pointless moeblobs (I think I am using that term right) have come and gone through SRW, but the female lead from Aquarion Evol seems to take the cake. She just looks completely hopeless as far as ever turning into anything at all.

Also, I was wondering, in all of robot anime, is there anyone other than Amuro who becomes an actual adult over the course of a series? I mean, both his appearance and personality changing completely and becoming all calm and settled down.

edit: duuuh, Gurren Lagann I guess. Anything other than that?

Hikaru from Macross sort of has this arc in my opinion. He starts off as a stunt pilot obsessed with a highschool girl, ends up losing lots of people and being in command and eventually sort of settling down with a far more reasonable woman. I'm not sure what his actual physical ages are supposed to be, but it is effectively the same sort of plot in my mind.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Speaking of Kei, I loving love this guy to death, but did they need to add that girl and her shrill voice to the mix to almost every single attack ahhhhhhhh

The ultimate kicker was doing his ALL attack and she's in the cut-in for the dynamic kill so I know she's never going away.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Speaking of Kei, I loving love this guy to death, but did they need to add that girl and her shrill voice to the mix to almost every single attack ahhhhhhhh

The ultimate kicker was doing his ALL attack and she's in the cut-in for the dynamic kill so I know she's never going away.

At least it's not as bad as Mokyuun.

Nothing is as bad as Mokyuuun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well at least we have justification for Char going CCA on us, his memory's been screwed with and thus doesn't remember the Black History stuff from Z1 that was supposed to be keeping him from doing this kind of thing

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
It's done. It's been done. I ordered my first import title. :smithicide: I paid $75 for a VITA game.

Eagerly awaiting to play.

Z3 story-wise, is there a translation guide yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

EVOL spoilers ahead. MIX hates men because of issues stemming from her father basically abandoning their family. Andy is initially attracted to her due to her having enormous anime breasts. She initially rejects him due to her issues, but through a surprisingly decent series of interactions for two side characters in an anime they grow close. MIX gets kidnapped by the bad dudes and taken to their planet, so the Aquarion dudes mount a rescue mission and find out that she's lost her memories and due to whatever the gently caress is wrong with Bad Guy Planet she's also turned into a guy. When Andy finds this out he has a brief moment of Gay Panic about "Oh god if she's a guy now and I'm still crushing what does that make me" before coming to terms with this and deciding that he loves MIX for who they are regardless of their gender. The two of them even combine and help Amata for the final battle with MIX still as a guy. The post-series "one month later" shot shows her having changed back into her female body over time, but it's really rather touching that they would have him decide "I'm going to love you for who you are" rather than "I'm going to find a way to restore your titties so I can go back to loving you".

As for her name, Blame Anime.

To add to the name thing She's named MIX so that when she turns into a guy they can call her MIXY instead. See, get it. Because X-Y.

drrockso20 posted:

Well at least we have justification for Char going CCA on us, his memory's been screwed with and thus doesn't remember the Black History stuff from Z1 that was supposed to be keeping him from doing this kind of thing

That isn't really what happens from what I understood. The CCA attack plays out in a very specific way. A way involving the explanation for when the Gundam SEED Destiny cast went and an attempt to create the Axis Shock artificially in order to break the ZONE singularity.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Revitalized posted:

It's done. It's been done. I ordered my first import title. :smithicide: I paid $75 for a VITA game.

Eagerly awaiting to play.

Z3 story-wise, is there a translation guide yet?

This is as good as you'll get for now; it offers a slight summary but it is a bit lacking in detail (though that might change over time).

I'm hoping someone will do a more detailed guide eventually (I would give it a try but I'm not insane enough to do it while I'm already working on Z1).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So am I correct that the DLC missions are accessible from the intermission menu? I found a menu that seems to list what DLC I have (guessing, can't really read it) and the stage it's accessible after? For example, the first seems to indicate I can do it after stage 4. Is that automatic or will I be able to choose it when I want?

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Levantine posted:

So am I correct that the DLC missions are accessible from the intermission menu? I found a menu that seems to list what DLC I have (guessing, can't really read it) and the stage it's accessible after? For example, the first seems to indicate I can do it after stage 4. Is that automatic or will I be able to choose it when I want?

You can access them after unlocking them, but if you don't go to that menu they won't play out.

Anyway, there's another free DLC here: http://www.suparobo.jp/pmc/campaign/3zpsn/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat. Stage 60 is pure loving amazing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How does the free DLC interact with a physical copy of the game? It's going to be such a pain to switch my Vita to grab them since I doubt it works without switching to JP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So an interesting thing about NG+
You get to select specific items to carry over, up to 5. This does not include Emblems.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 15, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

So an interesting thing about NG+
You get to select specific items to carry over, up to 5. This does not include Emblems.

So it's not like Z2's percentages? What can you carry over?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So it's not like Z2's percentages? What can you carry over?

You carry over 50% (75% and 100% on successive playthroughs) of cash/PP and any five items including D-Trader items but excluding Emblem items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvNLfJ5eJw

I also recorded the Z3.2 trailer if anyone wants to see it. Spoilers, obv.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvNLfJ5eJw

Given I don't speak Japanese, the only thing I got out of that trailer was 'oh, cool, Xine is still alive.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Given I don't speak Japanese, the only thing I got out of that trailer was 'oh, cool, Xine is still alive.'

Eva's plot is continuing, hints that Aquarion Classic returns, the FMP plot appears to be going on to the novels, SEED is apparently doing some kind of post-series plot, Unicorn is moving on to later episodes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kira was really freaked out about something, so I guess he'll be the main character again. And surprisingly, I'm not too bothered about that for once.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm still only like on like stage 18 or so, but I'm glad to hear this one turned out to be an entire full game. Z2.1 really left me worried.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Kira was really freaked out about something, so I guess he'll be the main character again. And surprisingly, I'm not too bothered about that for once.

Despite my intense distaste for Destiny Kira, for the first time ever I was actually pretty amped to see him and Shinn broing it up this time.

Super Robot Wars made me happy to see Destiny Kira. :psyduck:

Rascyc posted:

I'm still only like on like stage 18 or so, but I'm glad to hear this one turned out to be an entire full game. Z2.1 really left me worried.

I'm in the 30s and this is worlds ahead of both Z2 games to me. I also think people who think the animations are lazy are insane and probably need to look at the reanimated Z Gundam or Orguss before slapping themselves.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kanos posted:

I'm in the 30s and this is worlds ahead of both Z2 games to me. I also think people who think the animations are lazy are insane and probably need to look at the reanimated Z Gundam or Orguss before slapping themselves.

You really shouldn't pay attention to 4chan trolls.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

You really shouldn't pay attention to 4chan trolls.

Even the more common complaining about the FMP animations flies over my head because aside from the lovely animations on Sousuke's M9 that he has for like four stages they look fine to me.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rascyc posted:

What do you mean by this? Z2.1 was 50 stages long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ImpAtom posted:

Someone posted a subbed version yesterday, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duHjc02fjf4

• Locked thread