Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ropes4u posted:

Plans ordered from li'l bear trailers, frame material and an axle will be ordered as soon as I figure out which axle length I need.

We are building a 5'x10' which will allow some storage and a full queen sized mattress for a bed.

Make a thread. These are super hot on the 'Vintage' scene here in the UK, I've been looking into building them bespoke with a friend. Where we live there are a lot of marine upholsterers as well as old boat yards to reclaim portholes and such from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Make a thread. These are super hot on the 'Vintage' scene here in the UK, I've been looking into building them bespoke with a friend. Where we live there are a lot of marine upholsterers as well as old boat yards to reclaim portholes and such from.

What no goon hook up for the Americans who need portholes?

I will post a build thread and you should start building them, they sell fairly well here in the US based on my google skills.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ropes4u posted:

What no goon hook up for the Americans who need portholes?

I will post a build thread and you should start building them, they sell fairly well here in the US based on my google skills.

I visit this place in Galveston whenever I'm down there, just because it's so awesome to look at all the cool stuff they have. I bet they'd be happy to ship if you're not nearby enough to visit:

http://www.piecesofship.com/

They even have a section on the site for portholes.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I visit this place in Galveston whenever I'm down there, just because it's so awesome to look at all the cool stuff they have. I bet they'd be happy to ship if you're not nearby enough to visit:

http://www.piecesofship.com/

They even have a section on the site for portholes.

That link is going to cost me money. Thank you :)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A summer project of mine - now that I think we might finally have had our last snowfall this past weekend - is going to be a Cat Tree in the backyard :3:

I've vaguely planned for a post (6') on a wide base with a "T" across the top where I'll put some direct-sun-loving plants (for looks and shade) and underneath will be some cat platforms.

But I have a feeling that to support that height and weight the base will need to be impractically wide / strong. Any suggestions for examples I can look at for ways to make an appropriately stable base?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dig a hole, put the post in, back fill with quickrete, pour water over.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
10 THAT PLAN ^
20 WIFE SAYS NO HOLE IN BACK YARD :nyd:
30 ???

e: I missed the window to plausibly 30 DO IT ANYWAY

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why not? You can even recess the concrete a bit and cover it over with soil so it's just unbroken grass with a post coming out. Anything else will kill far more grass by covering it up for so long.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Ah but is a hole filled with concrete still a hole?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peepsalot posted:

Ah but is a hole filled with concrete still a hole?

Game, set, match.

Also, you wouldn't really even need the concrete unless your cats are literally tigers. An 18" deep hole, properly dug as a hole and not a pit, and then backfilled with the soil that came out, will anchor a post quite nicely.

As far as just doing it with a base goes, I think the rules is usually something like "at least as wide as it is tall," and "at least half as wide as the surface" or something like that? I can't really remember, but you're basically building a pedestal table.

e: No, that doesn't sound right, the as-wide-as-tall thing, but there's a rule of thumb for it, and if your cat tree is, like, 5 feet tall, you're going to need a large base, because there's a lot of leverage at the top, especially with idiot cats doing gymnastics on it.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 14, 2014

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bad Munki posted:

Why not? You can :words:

You're not married are you

Bad Munki posted:

e: No, that doesn't sound right, the as-wide-as-tall thing, but there's a rule of thumb for it, and if your cat tree is, like, 5 feet tall, you're going to need a large base, because there's a lot of leverage at the top, especially with idiot cats doing gymnastics on it.

Yeah, also my plan of putting plants on the top means even more leverage. I might have to ditch that idea, which would really be too bad.

Maybe I can sneak in the potted-post idea if I skip the concrete :ninja:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mister Sinewave posted:

You're not married are you

Happily for several years now, with one kid and another on the way, but we talk to each other like adults using big people words and make decisions together.

Do you happen to say poo poo like "SWMBO?" That might be part of it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You're right. I apologize, and I didn't really mean that as a dig at you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I didn't take it as a dig on me, it's just a pointless mentality that pervades so many otherwise-useful forums. It's largely why some of the would-be-best woodworking/metalworking/homebrewing/etc. forums are so lovely.

Anyhow, if digging a hole is a no-go, you either need a giant base, or you need to put some stakes in and use some guy wires. (Which will probably be even less desirable, because they're not very attractive and can be a tripping hazard.)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You're right, and I realize I was actually making a dig at my wife when I said that and it was inappropriate for me to do so.

As for the project, a giant base and/or guy wires do seem to be the only alternate options, neither of which I like for the same reasons you have brought up (killing lawn, eyesore, tripping hazard). Maybe I'll float the not-concrete-hole, perhaps the nature of the objection can be pinned down and a compromise found.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A post hole digger would go a long way towards making a tight, clean hole, too. When a lot of people envision a hole, they're thinking sloped sides where an 18" deep hole is also going to be 18" across. With a post hole digger, assuming you have soil that will let you use it, your 18" deep hole will only be 6" in diameter and will be a nice, clean shaft. Put a tarp down to pile the excavated dirt on and nobody will even know you were there.

Here's an ad for one, but it shows how to use one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQFtKFNFhIw

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Five gallon bucket or big planter and some concrete = portable cat tree

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A five-foot-tall post in a bucket of concrete is still going to be knocked over super easily, especially with any sort of arms sticking off to the side, it just doesn't have the needed footprint.

Comedy option: Bucket of cement as suggested, but mount the pole to the cement on a stiff spring. The post might go down, but it'll pop right back up and possibly launch cats.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mister Sinewave posted:

...a Cat Tree in the backyard :3:

Tripod or quadropod. Lighter weight, excellent stability. Wrap the legs in rope so the cat can climb them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hmm, I hadn't even considered a tripod or quad-pod. That's definitely turning on some different light bulbs in my head.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I really want to hear the objection to the hole int he ground though.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

FISHMANPET posted:

I really want to hear the objection to the hole int he ground though.

I second this. If she is (presumably) ok with you having a cat gym in the yard, that logically means she's ok with some sort of free-standing above-ground structure being in the yard. What difference does it make if that structure is partially underground (and probably a lot more stable)? Is there some practical reasoning for this (yes, ok, its harder to move if you want to) or is this just a case of wifey McBossyPants saying no so she can say no and keep her chi in alignment?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I suspect she's expecting "a hole in the ground" to be a big pit with dirt everywhere and dead grass, etc. If done right, that need not be the case.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

A post hole digger would go a long way towards making a tight, clean hole, too.
Like this man said, emphasise to your wife that you are strictly interested in tight, clean holes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ahaha, welp.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

A five-foot-tall post in a bucket of concrete is still going to be knocked over super easily, especially with any sort of arms sticking off to the side, it just doesn't have the needed footprint.

Comedy option: Bucket of cement as suggested, but mount the pole to the cement on a stiff spring. The post might go down, but it'll pop right back up and possibly launch cats.

True that was a dumb suggestion. Flying cats is solidly in the wrong sort of funny ;)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, I thought launching cats at the neighbor was a perfectly good idea. :(

vvvv EXACTLY

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 15, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The word is catapult, after all.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I meant my five gallon bucket idea sucked.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Since when has a cat ever used something bought or made for it rather than the box it came in or some random leaf/litter that blows past it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's been a few months since my last update but I have not given up on this arcade! The weather is finally starting to get both warm and dry enough for me to work on it again. My main goal this weekend was to get the sides primed and finish the repairs on the front of the cabinet. The biggest repair being permanently affixing a little cutout of wood that was below the ticket dispenser slot. You see, when this machine was first shipped from the factory, the ticket door was just a piece of wood that unlocked on the cabinet and swung down. However, I guess kids found a way to break it or something so they then cut the top part of the door off and bolted in a metal ticket dispenser door.

Here you can see it in its original condition:

Here's what mine looked like when I picked it up. You can see the metal ticket gate retrofit, and where a piece of the old door is on the bottom, hinge and all.

I didn't take a lot of in progress shots but I took the hinge and other metal parts off, and then wood glued the left over door part to the frame using an 1/8" scrap of wood I had laying around. After it dried I then filled in the gaps with wood filler, and sanded it down. That brings us to this picture:

I thin put two coats of primer on. Here's an after picture with the metal ticket gate reinserted. I put one more coat of primer on afterwards as well.

I'm pretty happy with the work, you can hardly tell any work was done. I think after I put a coat or two of black paint on it, it will be perfect.

Here's a picture of one of the sides that I primed. I did 3 coats just as I did with the door. Looks real good.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 22, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Are you going to stick with the X-Arcade board, or are you going to put in your own control board?

Good job so far!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'll probably wire up my own. The more I stare at the rats nest of wires of the X Arcade the more I think if makes sense to redo it completely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SpartanIV posted:

I'll probably wire up my own. The more I stare at the rats nest of wires of the X Arcade the more I think if makes sense to redo it completely.

I'd recommend it, honestly. The X-Arcade is a POS. If you're looking for buttons and stuff, Focus-Attack is who I buy all my parts from, they're much cheaper than buying through Happ for your parts, and even sell premade wiring harnesses. Happ is notorious for their insane shipping costs, sadly, but they're good for coin doors/T-molding and the like.

I saw you link the IPAC before, which works great- I've used a PS360+ for my PCB, which is easy as hell and works with PC, Mac, PS3, and Xbox 360, and they're releasing a firmware soon for PS4 compatibility, in case you were looking at console stuff along with PC.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm not a MAME cabinet guy, (have no place to put one) but I always thought it was be the coolest thing to have the coin slot hooked up to the power switch so that you have to insert a quarter to turn on the cabinet. Anyone hear of such a setup? I know some people build in an "inert quarter" button for continues, but anyone know of an "insert quarter (literal) to turn the cabinet on?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blistex posted:

I'm not a MAME cabinet guy, (have no place to put one) but I always thought it was be the coolest thing to have the coin slot hooked up to the power switch so that you have to insert a quarter to turn on the cabinet. Anyone hear of such a setup? I know some people build in an "inert quarter" button for continues, but anyone know of an "insert quarter (literal) to turn the cabinet on?

Wouldn't that just be turning the computer on and booting into Windows/Linux? It makes more sense to have the quarter slot boot the emulator, maybe. But even then you have to have it booted on your OS first.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Blistex posted:

I think the normal insert coin devices act like switches. You could use one the same as your other buttons, and use software to disable/enable the display or something like that. You could also one as a switch to activate a double-pole relay in a latching circuit, which will hold the system power on until power is cut (or some other button is pressed).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The coin slot switches are momentary switches where they quickly pulse a signal when a coin hits them. It's the same kind of switch a standard computer uses (any ATX mobo and onward) so you could use a coin being inserted instead of a power switch for the computer, but inserting another coin would turn the computer off :v:

My plan is to wire the red coin return button up to a switch so that pressing them inserts coins. I'll have the CPU switch either up top where the actual arcade switch would be, or have it behind the ticket dispenser panel, as I'm planning to put a normal latch there, and not a key latch.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
After searching fruitlessly for a bookcase or storage solution that fit in my office and create a bunch of wasted space, I decided that I'd try my hand at some basic furniture construction. This is the very first piece I've ever built and I'm shocked at how well it came together.

First I imagined up some plans, that are more like rough guidelines. Despite having gotten an 'A' in 3D Design (in Lightwave3D), I cannot get the knack of using Sketchup or any other 3D tool.

Then I bought and cut the lumber. Finally learned how to make a decent straight cut with a circular saw!

Then I went on the construction. I drilled out holes and used dowels for most of the inner structure.
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/Ogwc8SOl.jpg[[/timg]

Fully Assembled. I decided to forego putting the backing on it, because my fiancee liked it better open and it was already quite sturdy. I instead put a handful of T and corner braces on the back.

I was going to paint it white, but decided that it matched my desk as it was, so just sanded and dragged up the stairs.

Bonus: Here's a close-up of my LED light bottles, to prove that I'm not just a raging alcoholic. I'm a raging alcoholic with a set of glass drill bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
As previously posted I own carnival games and am in the middle of an overhaul on the equipment. An idea that has been in my head for a while is applying small "disco" mirrors to to center pole. The pole is there to add structural support to the trailer since the whole front opens with hydraulic rams. We've always just painted it once a year but I never liked that. So I had leave a space on the bottom where the door latches go in. Then I wire wheeled the pole and removed the brace temporarily. I used a construction adhesive in a caulk gun tube and slathered it around with a piece of plastic. The mirrors come in a 3'x3' sheet of 1/2" mirrors. They were easy to cut by just cutting the fabric backing. I used zip strips to help hold them until they set up a little. I think it turned out great and it catches your eye very well, which is the point.

Before.

After grinding, applying glue and first piece.

Brace before.

After. (Brace not installed yet)

Final. I think I'm going to face the bottom with a piece of scrap mirror or maybe aluminum.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 23, 2014