Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Reminds me of when I got my first car. My friend came over and said, "drat, these hubcaps are really convincing" before trying to pull my alloys off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

stump posted:

drat, I was convinced they were alloys but you may be right. Some wheel trims are pretty convincing now.

Edit: Yup, those style wheels are trims on steels, I'm I'm an idiot!

Don't feel too bad, I did the exact same thing in this very thread sometime last fall.

That said, if that car is just a year old, it'll probably end up in here before too long being driven into curbs like that. They did it hard enough to take two bites out of the tire.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how he shifts his head to the left as if to dodge the tire.

I probably would have panic braked and plowed into the wall myself.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Reminds me of my car accident:

90 KM/h tire from opposing traffic while going over a bridge. Yee haw.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

All I see is a bunch of people not killed from taking a 40-odd-pound projectile to the face, so mechanical successes all around!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, yes. But keep in mind for that to happen, a wheel had to separated somehow from another vehicle which is a pretty big failure in my book. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:jebstare:

He must've been picking cotton out of his rectum for weeks.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Somebody tell me why F1 (and Indy cars for that matter) still run open cockpits. Wouldn't an enclosed cockpit be safer? Is it just tradition and so they just deal with it being less safe, or is an open cockpit actually safer somehow?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tradition is a lot of it, but safety isn't a "one is better than the other" for all situations. Open-cockpit cars definitely have more risk of injury to impact, but you're trading that with a car that's harder to escape in case of fire / harder to extract an unconscious driver from, plus reduced visibility.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Somebody tell me why F1 (and Indy cars for that matter) still run open cockpits. Wouldn't an enclosed cockpit be safer? Is it just tradition and so they just deal with it being less safe, or is an open cockpit actually safer somehow?

An enclosed cockpit won't save you if you're hit by a full wheel @ 300+kph. Nothing will save you. However, an open cockpit is easier to get out of in a fire, and making an enclosed cockpit that is as easy to escape from would probably be very heavy. I suspect it ultimately comes down to the lightest solution that meets the safety requirements of minimum evacuation time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

However, an open cockpit is easier to get out of in a fire,

Don't forget the part about how an open cockpit is totally badass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure these days an open cockpit is easier to get out of.. have you seen drivers climb into a modern F1 car? It's like giving birth in reverse.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That makes sense but why not just use a slipper skirt like high performance gas engines do?

The forces involved in diesels are waaaaay higher than in gas engines- I suspect a slipper skirt would probably crack itself off the rest of the piston before too long. You have to remember your talking 18-24:1 Compression ratios here and big explosions- Theres a reason diesels are louder than petrols and thats from the force of combustion.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure these days an open cockpit is easier to get out of.. have you seen drivers climb into a modern F1 car? It's like giving birth in reverse.

I swear I heard it somewhere that there was a requirement on ease of removing the steering wheel and exiting (with help?) in the event of a fire.

But yeah, sitting with legs raised to chest height, hand holds above shoulder height and bum down low at the bottom of the car can't be easy to get out of without help.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 15, 2014

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

I swear I heard it somewhere that there was a requirement on ease of removing the steering wheel and exiting (with help?) in the event of a fire.

But yeah, sitting with legs raised to chest height, hand holds above shoulder height and bum down low at the bottom of the car can't be easy to get out of without help.

From the F1 regulations:

quote:

13.1.4 From his normal seating position, with all seat belts fastened and whilst wearing his usual driving equipment, the driver must be able to remove the steering wheel and get out of the car within 5 seconds and then replace the steering wheel in a total of 10 seconds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Why replace the steering wheel? Car's on fire, it's not like the steering wheel is a necessity at that point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sounds like it's to ensure that he can get out without having to disassemble the car.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
From a driver safety point of view, it wouldn't matter what damage you did to the car getting out.

I'm guessing but it might be in the event of a breakdown; the driver gets out and over the barriers and the marshals need to move the car out of the way, so having a steering wheel easily re-attached might help?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
2003 Mazda Protege, terrible creaking from the front end on turns. Sounded like bad upper strut mounts...

The only downside is the spring perch (destroyed swiss cheese of rust) is a separate piece from the strut mount (top pieces in pic 3), for whatever stupid reason. I had to wait an extra day for Napa to get me the 2 new upper perches. So I billed the customer for the 2 upper mounts ($48 each) that were probably not 100% necessary, but were probably good to replace regardless.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Captain Postal posted:

The fire risk, while real, is a bit overstated in Formula 1 these days. Now NHRA Top Fuel, on the other hand, you're pretty much guaranteed to end up as a fireball hurtling down the track at some point, yet there seems to be a very major push towards closed cockpits in those cars.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think both of these things are because Formula 1 cars aren't assembled around wildly modified big block chevys and welded together by a guy named "Stretch" with seven fingers.

I know very little about NHRA dragsters

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I think both of these things are because Formula 1 cars aren't assembled around wildly modified big block chevys and welded together by a guy named "Stretch" with seven fingers.

I know very little about NHRA dragsters

You are entirely accurate, but you omitted how much money it takes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Side visibility isn't exactly a tremendous priority for top fuel drags either.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

You are entirely accurate, but you omitted how much money it takes.

Hey, Stretch gotta have his meth.

e. Also, I guess the mean time between failures on those motors is something like 1/8 mile.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have one thing to add: top fuel motors are hemi based.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

The fire risk, while real, is a bit overstated in Formula 1 these days.

To add a bit on this: Pretty much every time there is an engine fire these days the on board extinguisher will eliminate any danger to the driver.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Hey, Stretch gotta have his meth.

e. Also, I guess the mean time between failures on those motors is something like 1/8 mile.

That's kinda why I love Top Fuel as much as I do. They push so much power through those motors that they know they'll explode pretty much every other run, but they just say "gently caress it, we'll just rebuild it every time."

That and burning nitromethane is delicious.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Continuing Top Fuel drag chat:
This is old but worth a repost a still impressive http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0502_top_fuel_numbers/

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Continuing Top Fuel drag chat:
This is old but worth a repost a still impressive http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0502_top_fuel_numbers/

My favorite part of that,

quote:

Downforce, in pounds, generated by the rear wing at 325 mph. The downward thrust made by the exhaust gases escaping the headers alone generates 800 pounds of downforce.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is insane. I don't know how it is in the states but in NZ top fuel engines are stripped and rebuilt after every run, it apparently takes about 90 minutes. The 'junior' naturally aspirated cars that only :rolleyes: have about 4000hp can idle indefinitely because of the cooling the fuel alone offers, despite having no cooling system.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DiggityDoink posted:

That and burning nitromethane is delicious.

with nitromethane you can take lean burn to its logical conclusion and burn it with no oxygen at all, leaving hydrogen as a combustion byproduct. this produces bright white flames from the exhaust headers. it's the best fuel.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 15, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Do they pull and rebuild the same engine between each run, or do they have a spare engine they swap into the car while rebuilding the one that recently ran?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They rebuild the engine on-car in 90 minutes. Both heads off simultaneously, then one poor bastard lays underneath and has the pistons + rods fall into his 'hands'. The pistons are looked at to see how the engine is running; they don't get re-used, you just put new pistons and rings in. Not so sure about the valvetrain side of things. The gaskets get covered in copper spray.

They're an extremely simple engine; having no cooling system and no accessories besides the fuel pump and magnetos makes things a lot easier and quicker, and unlike factory engines they're intended to be taken apart quickly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

They rebuild the engine on-car in 90 minutes. Both heads off simultaneously, then one poor bastard lays underneath and has the pistons + rods fall into his 'hands'. The pistons are looked at to see how the engine is running; they don't get re-used, you just put new pistons and rings in. Not so sure about the valvetrain side of things. The gaskets get covered in copper spray.

They're an extremely simple engine; having no cooling system and no accessories besides the fuel pump and magnetos makes things a lot easier and quicker, and unlike factory engines they're intended to be taken apart quickly.

And if you're in the right place at the right time, and someone is feeling generous, you can even end up with engine bits as a souvenir.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's why I have an I-beam rod bigger than my hand :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I watched a guy in the pits taking apart the clutch after a run and measuring each of the massive plates with a caliper. He had huge silver oven mitts on and they smoked all over the place when he touched a plate.

And the fuel system is literally just a pump, no injectors. It just spews fuel into the intake all the time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It should be mentioned that although the motors are "based on" the Hemi, there's probably not a single part you could use on a factory engine.

Also, the supercharger takes more power to run than the stock Hemi makes.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
More of a chemical failure maybe. One of our big multi-cabinet UPS systems started throwing alerts, someone went into the UPS room and smelled sulfur for some reason! I don't have a pic of this in the cabinet, but I do have these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That.. that could have ended incredibly badly. :stonklol: