Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Not according to certain posters here who repeatedly reject my advances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
http://juggalocoin.org/

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Now this is a cryptocurrency I can get behind.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

At least it will have meth backing, so it will be less volatile than bitcoins.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I thought that meth was the juggalo currency.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Yes, that and Faygo. The issue is that both are hard to ship in large quantities when buying Gathering tickets. This will help with that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

No it is and always will be Faygo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

No one wants to be the one vendor at Gathering of the Juggalos who doesn’t accept JuggaloCoin!

All these cryptocurrencies remind me of Itchy and Scratch Money.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
That American Juggalo documentary linked on the page isn't too bad:

e: I don't want to embed it because of the NSFW preview image.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No it is and always will be Faygo.

Also, microtransactions will be easier than the current method.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rooney McNibnug posted:

American Juggalo is so good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, horror movies almost get it the worst. Think of how many horror movies you've seen that were loaded with bullshit screeching-string-section musical stings.

I have grown to really hate scares based on the soundtrack making a loud noise. Like I don't mind if something in the movie makes a sudden loud noise but when the soundtrack does it, that just feels like cheating to me. I have also watched enough horror movies that it's not really a suprise anymore becuase I' subconsiensly am always aware when the soundtrack is suddenly getting really quiet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plus, jump scares are horrible. I'm more afraid of the jump scare then the actual movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I actually like the one in Jaws with the chum bucket, mainly because I don't think there's any sting or musical cue in that moment at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Right! Those rule.

I love that one scene in Dark Skies too, where the mom walks in on a loving Alien, and it's just that. No sting. Just "Hey Son how are- :stonk:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

I actually like the one in Jaws with the chum bucket, mainly because I don't think there's any sting or musical cue in that moment at all.

Well, his face says it all.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Mr. Flunchy posted:

"hamfisted"

"took me out of the movie"

I'm not even entirely sure why, but those two drive me up the wall.

edit: and I'd argue in favour of "boring". It's not necessarily a criticism; Jeanne Dielman is definitely boring, but that's kind of the point.

Is "distracting" a good analogue for "took me out of the movie"? Like, the sex in Blue Is the Warmest Colour (2013, d.p. Sofian El Fani) was very distracting and male-gazey to me even though I get what the director was going for in showing how passionate Adele and Emma were versus Adele's heterosexual encounters.

Also I voted the thread a 5 last time because somebody said something funny. Somebody do it again, please.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Baron von Eevl posted:

There actually is a cue, but it jumps in after the initial shock and doesn't overreach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I91DJZKRxs

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

You laugh, but at the longtime Gathering location in Cave-In-Rock, Illinois, there is a bridge in the concert grounds that turns into a drug market every year. It's called "Drug Bridge" and nobody cares that it's illegal, not even the organizers.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I heard they were moving it to Missouri

Yay?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was trying to find the "Oh, is that Fresca?" "Actually, it's Faygo Moon Mist!" clip but couldn't find it so here's this one instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPsi8bkF7g

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 14, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

Is "distracting" a good analogue for "took me out of the movie"? Like, the sex in Blue Is the Warmest Colour (2013, d.p. Sofian El Fani) was very distracting and male-gazey to me even though I get what the director was going for in showing how passionate Adele and Emma were versus Adele's heterosexual encounters.

Also I voted the thread a 5 last time because somebody said something funny. Somebody do it again, please.

I dunno, I think 'took me out of the movie' bugs me because it implies that a movie sinks or swims on how well it constructs an artifice. I wholeheartedly believe that distancing an audience from what's on screen and preventing them from getting emotionally involved isn't automatically a bad thing. Keeping an audience aware that what they're watching isn't remotely real is a technique loads of my favourite directors use (and y'know Brecht and Epic theatre and all that), so this phrase bugs me because it implicitly dismisses poo poo tons of great films.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

All these cryptocurrencies remind me of Itchy and Scratch Money.

Your analogy is perfect.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

e: I don't want to embed it because of the NSFW preview image.

American Juggalo owns really hard. "We got alcohol, we got explosives, let me show you how great we are!"

FishBulb posted:

I heard they were moving it to Missouri

Yay?

The owner of the park where they were going to have it literally got death threats from the town residents, so the Gathering is now in Ohio or Iowa or somewhere. When they announced it was in Missouri, I had a couple friends who were dead-set on going just because they wanted to experience American Juggalo first-hand.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh that's too bad. It's not like juggalos a could really gently caress up the ozarks any more than the drunks already have.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I dunno, I think 'took me out of the movie' bugs me because it implies that a movie sinks or swims on how well it constructs an artifice. I wholeheartedly believe that distancing an audience from what's on screen and preventing them from getting emotionally involved isn't automatically a bad thing. Keeping an audience aware that what they're watching isn't remotely real is a technique loads of my favourite directors use (and y'know Brecht and Epic theatre and all that), so this phrase bugs me because it implicitly dismisses poo poo tons of great films.

It's possible to use it as a point of critique against certain films but not against others! If a film is trying to naturalistic and fails because it's simply poorly made then it could be a perfertly valid complaint, which would be completely different than someone dismissing a Jorodowski film for not being realistic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think the only time the phrase implicitly dismisses poo poo tons of great films is when the phrase is used on its own without any context or further elaboration as to how the viewer was taken out of the movie, and why in this case they think being taken out of the movie is something that works against the film.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Geekboy posted:

I had a singing audition for the Portland Area Theatre Alliance last week and now have a callback for the main villain in a production of Parade.

Since I thought I lost the tempo and blew the audition, this was really unexpected. I also didn't do a monologue or any of the dancing auditions, so the callback is based entirely on my rendition of "Marry Me a Little" from Company, which I admittedly am a really good match for vocally.

I'm not getting my hopes up or anything since I have no idea if they're calling back dozens of people for the role, who else will be there, what exactly they're looking for, etc but it's still pretty drat rad and unexpected.

Congrats on the callback! I am so jealous because I absolutely adore Parade. When you say "main villain", are you talking Dorsey or Watson? Because I think they both have a pretty fair claim to the title.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess I just have a bone with people who base their critique of a movie as if it's depicting something that's really happening, and that any faults in the film come from not accurately reflecting this fictional reality. For example, I remember getting frustrated at morons in the Iron Man 3 thread who were arguing that Iron Man not summoning his suits to help him out before the big finale 'took them out of the movie'.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Your analogy is perfect.

Except I never notice my typos until someone quotes me :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I have grown to really hate scares based on the soundtrack making a loud noise. Like I don't mind if something in the movie makes a sudden loud noise but when the soundtrack does it, that just feels like cheating to me. I have also watched enough horror movies that it's not really a suprise anymore becuase I' subconsiensly am always aware when the soundtrack is suddenly getting really quiet.

I was thinking less about jump scares and more about pieces that highlight the atmosphere of the scene. Think of the music they play towards the end of Halloween when Michael is chasing Lori. Or that loud string sound when the flashbulbs go off at the beginning of the Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

CelticPredator posted:

Right! Those rule.

I love that one scene in Dark Skies too, where the mom walks in on a loving Alien, and it's just that. No sting. Just "Hey Son how are- :stonk:

I actually loved that. The movie itself was really craptacular, but there were a few moments that were brilliant and that was the best.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Corek posted:

You laugh, but at the longtime Gathering location in Cave-In-Rock, Illinois, there is a bridge in the concert grounds that turns into a drug market every year. It's called "Drug Bridge" and nobody cares that it's illegal, not even the organizers.

If I remember correctly, last year there was an OD death and they shut down the bridge.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

FEARnet is dead, it's the second big site of 2014 that I read that's been shuttered/absorbed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

FEARnet is dead, it's the second big site of 2014 that I read that's been shuttered/absorbed.

Oh poo poo.

Scott Weinberg's one of the two film critics I actually follow.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

CoolZidane posted:

Congrats on the callback! I am so jealous because I absolutely adore Parade. When you say "main villain", are you talking Dorsey or Watson? Because I think they both have a pretty fair claim to the title.

Dorsey. I am not familiar with the show at all and just started looking into it this morning. Dorsey sounds like a character I could really nail if given the chance, but I am refusing to get my hopes up.

I really did just go to the audition in the hopes of getting into the chorus somewhere and having a chance to start to get into the scene. If I can manage to actually get cast in a real role I might just lose my mind.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yoshifan823 posted:

Then what the gently caress are you doing here?

That is what we're all here for, right?

I am, and so is my wife.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I actually loved that. The movie itself was really craptacular, but there were a few moments that were brilliant and that was the best.

Pretty much. I'm not sure what happened with it. I love the set up to the final confrontation. It was nice to see characters reacting logically to a situation like that. Then we had that lame twist that really didn't add anything to the film. I didn't really care for the hallucination aspect they threw in at the end either...didn't really mesh with Alien poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Style is substance. Characters and story are for novels.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm going to see Macauley Culkin's pizza themed Velvet Underground cover band on friday and I couldn't be more excited.

It's like when the Dominos tracker says your pie is out for delivery. (I have never used the Dominos Tracker)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

weekly font posted:

I'm going to see Macauley Culkin's pizza themed Velvet Underground cover band on friday and I couldn't be more excited.

It's like when the Dominos tracker says your pie is out for delivery. (I have never used the Dominos Tracker)

I hope they have some new material about Domino's Fried Chicken Crust Pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My dominos is only about 100 meters from my front door. I still never order from there (except their cheesy bread, which rules).

• Locked thread