Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

catlord posted:

Oh my God, the combat in the challenge mode really is better than in the story. I felt like I was in full control again. All that whiffing because the timing felt wrong was gone. Which means I should stop playing it so that I don't make Cold, Cold Heart a pain to get into when it drops.

Is there a difference? I've never noticed a difference between Origins story mode combat and Origins challange mode. Only thing I can think of is were you playing story mode on hard difficulty? Because I think challenge mode is normal difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something mentioned earlier about reformed villains reminded me of how well behaved Harley tends to be when the Joker is not at home. In the one-shot series Joker's Asylum, one of the comics follows Harley and she is a model inmate, who even brings out the best in Pamela Isely. The problem is that there is one day when she can't sit still. One day on which she cannot resist breaking out of the Asylum again. One day on which she needs to be with her "puddin'". Valentines Day. That was a funny one shot.

The other two in the series (Mad Hatter and Riddler) are just heartbreaking though.
The Riddler falls in love and desperately tries to reform, gets a normal job all in an attempt to woo her as she initially is not interested. He starts meeting her friends and finding out more about her and they do grow closer, and there is hope for most of the comic. However, when she agrees to marry him he is horrified when he realises that he suddenly has lost all interest. His psychosis has hosed him over in the cruellest way possible. What he thought was love was his obsession coming to the fore. Working out how to get her to love him was actually just a riddle to his broken mind and now that he has 'solved' it there is nothing left for him to feel.

Mad Hatter has reformed. He hasn't had an incident in months and has been out of the asylum for a long time at this point. He has a functioning role with a normal job, colleagues and everything. Until he meets a young girl with blond hair. After the inevitable occurs he hides the body in the closet in a trance. But it is already full. He has been trapped in a cycle of healing and relapsing for months now, whenever it seems like he can get better, like he can leave the asylum for good, it happens again and he eventually ends up getting caught again.
That last one is a little bit blackly comedic, and a little bit horrifying.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Keeku posted:

Is there a difference? I've never noticed a difference between Origins story mode combat and Origins challange mode. Only thing I can think of is were you playing story mode on hard difficulty? Because I think challenge mode is normal difficulty.

No, I played on Normal. I'm not exactly what they changed, but in story mode I felt like my attacks were much slower, and I whiffed a lot more than in challenge mode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bunnyofdoom posted:

That last one is a little bit blackly comedic, and a little bit horrifying.

I've always felt Mad Hatter was a really stupid villain, but I think that just redeemed him for me.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Whenever I see the Hatter platforming sections I can't help but think what an impressive amount of effort goes into them visually. Considering the assets are only used in the "Wonderland" level, a lot of polish was given to the setpieces, the card bridge for example.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Has anyone translated this hex code on the computers in the server room in AO?

edit: holy poo poo, it translates. It's a message from Riddler. I'll have it up in a minute.

"Joining the GCPD was the easiest thing I ever did. I will find out all of their dirty little secrets. By the time they know what I know, it will be too late. This is only the beginning."

...Well, that's disappointing. As far as I can tell, nobody found it before, though! Man, if only there were better easter eggs, like in the Rocksteady games...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 14, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Discendo Vox posted:

...Well, that's disappointing. As far as I can tell, nobody found it before, though! Man, if only there were better easter eggs, like in the Rocksteady games...

I think I saw that on TVTropes or one of the Batman wikis, but yeah, not many people discuss it. Congrats on finding it, though.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Hey Bat-thread I finally picked up Origins and the season pass today, is there anything I should know before heading in or is it just City continued?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

IceG posted:

Hey Bat-thread I finally picked up Origins and the season pass today, is there anything I should know before heading in or is it just City continued?

It's City continued, but with new villains and less eye-catching locations.

I think one of the reasons people are so down on Origins could be that Asylum and City had locations that could be described as characters of their own or extensions of the villain.

In Origins, most of the villains are fought all across the city while it's still normal, so nothing really pops out aside from one segment towards the end of the game.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Keeku posted:

I've heard this repeatedly, and it seems like it maaaay be PC exclusive. Something is definately different about the story mode combat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've always felt Mad Hatter was a really stupid villain, but I think that just redeemed him for me.

In the Arkham series it's really really clear that he is an insane man that clearly needs mental and physical help. Just listen to his audio clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RiN_x0aGE

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MonsterEnvy posted:

In the Arkham series it's really really clear that he is an insane man that clearly needs mental and physical help. Just listen to his audio clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RiN_x0aGE

Also, clearly a paedophile, too. Just when you thought he couldn't get more loveable.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's City continued, but with new villains and less eye-catching locations.

I think one of the reasons people are so down on Origins could be that Asylum and City had locations that could be described as characters of their own or extensions of the villain.

In Origins, most of the villains are fought all across the city while it's still normal, so nothing really pops out aside from one segment towards the end of the game.

Which one is that? Out of curiosity

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Also, clearly a paedophile, too. Just when you thought he couldn't get more loveable.

That's been an occasionally reoccurring thing since Arkham Asylum (the comic). You should read it if you haven't, there are some horrifying references to it in Arkham Asylum (the game).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

Which one is that? Out of curiosity

The hotel you fight Bane in. Royal Gotham Hotel, I think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trickjaw posted:

That's less clear. While one of the mad hatters he's derived from in the batman universe is a pedophile( the stupidly grimdark "edgy" serious house arkham, if memory serves), it's quite possible hatter's "Alices" are all adults. It's not particularly clear he's going after them sexually, either.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 15, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Didn't the Mad Hatter have a team of crazies who were part of the Wonderland gimmick? They mentioned Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in Asylum.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Discendo Vox posted:

That's less clear. While one of the mad hatters he's derived from in the batman universe is a pedophile( the stupidly grimdark "edgy" serious house arkham, if memory serves), it's quite possible hatter's "Alices" are all adults. It's not particularly clear he's going after them sexually, either.

Hmm. Thought it was mentioned in the Arkham wiki you kindly linked for me. Its from somewhere, I guess. I am in no way casting aspersions on strange little men that obsess over a book, that actually (and this just occurred to me, honestly) was writen by a noted mathmetician and kiddy fiddler!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Trickjaw posted:

Hmm. Thought it was mentioned in the Arkham wiki you kindly linked for me. Its from somewhere, I guess. I am in no way casting aspersions on strange little men that obsess over a book, that actually (and this just occurred to me, honestly) was writen by a noted mathmetician and kiddy fiddler!

Who some* think was Jack the Ripper!

*Those people are actual retards who came up with the only theory less credible than the Royal Family theory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not particularly clear he's going after them sexually, either.

Well, how the girl in Origins keeps crying after you rescue her and says everything isn't okay, it seems to be somewhat implied she was raped.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

let's not venture down that road in the batman video game thread please.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Mad Midnight Rapist What Rapes at Midnight, Baby, YEAH

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Besides, Japan has "rapist Batman" covered already.

I wish this wasn't a thing but it is

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In Robin Year One the Mad Hatter is shown to be an incredibly effective villain - given that his role is as a human slaver taking young blonde girls to an african dictator.

Also, this is the same comic that has Two Face bludgeoning Robin nearly to death, so its definitely more adult than most. Also a great, great story for what its worth.

I'm looking forward to watching other people play the DLC for Origins, since i'm fairly certain it won't be very good at all - but I'm enough of a fan to see it through.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

IceG posted:

The Worst Nightmare Challenge system for Predator stuff is loving poo poo and if you care about it you should find / follow a walkthrough for it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think I saw that on TVTropes or one of the Batman wikis, but yeah, not many people discuss it. Congrats on finding it, though.

Aw. I was so proud of my easter egg finding cred.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Worst Nightmare Challenge system for Predator stuff is loving poo poo and if you care about it you should find / follow a walkthrough for it.

On this note, search the thread for "predator challenge" or just go back through my posts- I have several links to good guides to the challenges.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My favorite part about the combat in Origins is pressing counter to see Batman strike that stupid rear end counter pose and then get hit in the head with a steel pipe. He's just trying to look good, why do you guys have to beat up on him?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mogomra posted:

My favorite part about the combat in Origins is pressing counter to see Batman strike that stupid rear end counter pose and then get hit in the head with a steel pipe. He's just trying to look good, why do you guys have to beat up on him?

And if you know the trick to it you can make him walk the dinosaur.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Excels posted:

And if you know the trick to it you can make him walk the dinosaur.

You can only do this in areas with doors though.

So I know the developers have said the upcoming Arkham Knight is the end of this sort of series of batgames but have we heard anything about what they plan on doing after this? I'm one of those people who would really like a batman beyond setting, fuckin' jet boots.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Regarding the disruptor in Arkham Origins: Sometimes when I use it on a gun, it doesn't disable it (if I'm watching in detective mode they remain orange). Are some units immune to it? It happens fairly frequent, and I'm trying to work out if there's something I should be looking out for or is it just (another) bug?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Keeku posted:

Regarding the disruptor in Arkham Origins: Sometimes when I use it on a gun, it doesn't disable it (if I'm watching in detective mode they remain orange). Are some units immune to it? It happens fairly frequent, and I'm trying to work out if there's something I should be looking out for or is it just (another) bug?

Sometimes they have more than one thing to disrupt. You have to check to make sure it's the actual gun that's being locked on.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Sometimes they have more than one thing to disrupt. You have to check to make sure it's the actual gun that's being locked on.

They're usually just standard guys with guns. I pumped 2 disruptions into 1 guy just before and he was still able to shoot (I was in detective mode at the time so saw as both disruptions locked on, but the dude just remained orange). I've used disruptors plenty of times between City and Origins, so I'm pretty familiar with it locking onto the gun. It's only in Origins it seems to sometimes fail. You could be right and there may be something it's doing I'm unaware of. Do you know what else the disruptor affects on standard guys?

Edit: I should add, most the time it does work as it would in City. However it has failed probably 6-7 times for me. When it fails it still uses up one charge of the disruptor.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 16, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keeku posted:

They're usually just standard guys with guns. I pumped 2 disruptions into 1 guy just before and he was still able to shoot (I was in detective mode at the time so saw as both disruptions locked on, but the dude just remained orange). I've used disruptors plenty of times between City and Origins, so I'm pretty familiar with it locking onto the gun. It's only in Origins it seems to sometimes fail. You could be right and there may be something it's doing I'm unaware of. Do you know what else the disruptor affects on standard guys?

Edit: I should add, most the time it does work as it would in City. However it has failed probably 6-7 times for me. When it fails it still uses up one charge of the disruptor.
I've had the multiple disrupter hits to kill a gun happen to me a few times and it is very frustrating.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the giant update for Origins my PC just downloaded? I thought they weren't patching this thing so I assume it's files for the new DLC or something?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's the giant update for Origins my PC just downloaded? I thought they weren't patching this thing so I assume it's files for the new DLC or something?

Yep, its for Mr. Freeze.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, look what I found, you guys. The first 30 minutes of Cold, Cold Heart!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1o1fns_batman-arkham-origins-cold-cold-heart-dlc-first-30-minut_videogames

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm going to resist watching it, but if it is half an hour that hopefully suggests that it isn't a 45-60 minute long DLC!

It releases on April 22nd, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You are correct.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

You know, I could have sworn I heard them say it was about the same length as Harley Quinn's Revenge at some point. Have they said how long it'll be recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

catlord posted:

You know, I could have sworn I heard them say it was about the same length as Harley Quinn's Revenge at some point. Have they said how long it'll be recently?

I don't know, but considering that the opening sequence is 30 minutes long and there's a sidequest dealing with the Anarky thugs that disappeared into subspace in the main story, it seems like it'll be long.

• Locked thread