Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Thanks, Goo :mad: I feel like I just bought the 500s.

Seriously though it's sitting at home waiting for me and I'm very excited to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
So, after using a G5 for 8 years and never finding a worthy upgrade (barring paying exorbitant prices for used G9), I picked up a G502 yesterday. For a while I felt like a dickhead for spending so much on an impulse buy and not waiting for a sale, but the feeling has faded because drat, this is a good mouse. I wish it were built more for a claw grip- I favor a sort of semi-claw grip with my middle and ring finger on the left and right buttons instead of the index and middle- but it works fine. The shape feels good, and the lower elevation of the thumb indent feels better than the way the G5 is shaped. We'll see how time affects it, but for now the rubber on the sides is great.

The switches feel good to click, and I love the scroll wheel. I like the weight of it, and I like how 'sure' it is- the scrolling clicks precisely between detents, and the middle button can be pressed without worrying about accidental scrolling or side-clicks. The G5's wobbly wheel taught me to hate side-clicks, but the ones on the G502 have a long enough pull that I haven't had any trouble with wobbliness or accidental activation. The flat-top design also helps with this, makes it easier to apply force in only the direction you want to. My only complaint is that the wheel is a little too far back for my taste, but on the other hand that does make it easier to get a sure middle-click. Also, I've never had an unlockable freewheeling scroll wheel before, so that kinda tickles me.

The side buttons are good, much more practically positioned than the G5's high ones. The rear one is positioned so that it's right there beside my thumb, I don't have to shift my grip to press it. I use my thumb button a lot in games, more so than the middle button, so I'm really enjoying the accessibility. I still don't think it needs to be so small- I'd like the rear thumb button to be about the same size as the forward thumb button. The low-DPI 'sniper' button is completely useless, unfortunately- my hands are not small but even using a traditional full palm grip, I would need a huge drat thumb to reach the thing without shifting my hand in a stupidly awkward way.

I haven't been able to play with the sensor calibration at all, because the Logitech software update that adds support for the G502 is completely broken. I'm one of a number of users who have it just quit instantly upon starting. Can't even customize my DPI settings right now. However, I've been impressed with its performance with no driver support. The DPI setting closest to what I'm used to is still faster than I'd like, but I haven't had too much trouble adapting in games because the tracking is so drat good. For example, using full-auto weapons with high recoil in shooters, I've actually been having a slightly easier time keeping crosshairs on target, despite not being used to the mouse and settings. I'm really looking forward to whenever they get the software unfucked so I can tweak this thing.

Got a question for Goo: what do you recommend using to clean this mouse? I use denatured alcohol to clean my keyboard keys and ceramic plate 'mousepad', and while it's generally not paint-safe, would it harm the rubber on the sides?

P.S. I liked the TechBargains video you did on the G502. It's cool to see someone who enjoys what they're doing, rather than another soulless marketing spiel. :shobon:

Cathair fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 11, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

The G502 video on YouTube posted:

"Clicking and raging is what you do in League. This doesn't help you rage."
This thread should be renamed to have this appended.
Should I buy a $100 mouse? - It still won't help you rage in League

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I like everything about it EXCEPT that it's a little bit shorter in height than the G500/S. Love the scroll wheel. The shift button is interesting but it might be better for me as a toggle so you don't have to hold it down. I would imagine that is something you can change in software. The sensor is great, much smoother than the G500.

Also I feel kind of sad for the guy who designs these fancy weight systems... I guess someone uses them or they wouldn't get put in the mouse, but no one I know does. It's crazy and overdesigned though if for some reason that is a feature you want.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

That's why IBM invented the TrackPoint. The World's Lowest Effort Mousing Device.
The trackpoint is actually the best pointing device when your laptop is in your chest in bed. gently caress trackpads at that point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Josh Lyman posted:

The trackpoint is actually the best pointing device when your laptop is in your chest in bed. gently caress trackpads at that point.

you shouldn't stick laptops in your chest, the blood doesn't do them any good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

you shouldn't stick laptops in your chest, the blood doesn't do them any good.

Hey gramps it's 2014 using fans to cool computers is ridiculous and normal people don't do that anymore. Don't you know about fan death?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The G502 is cool and all but I still love the G300 and am sad it's discontinued. I was hoping I never had to go back to side buttons.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Like, every keyboard needs a track point. That thing is brilliant.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey gramps it's 2014 using fans to cool computers is ridiculous and normal people don't do that anymore. Don't you know about fan death?

Unless your laptop has an under-clocked desktop GPU. You definitely need fans then.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Roman posted:

The G502 is cool and all but I still love the G300 and am sad it's discontinued. I was hoping I never had to go back to side buttons.

If you hate them because of accidental pressing, the 502 seems to be designed to prevent that. Also you can always program them to do nothing.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I didn't get that at first either, but looking at the G300, it's got several little buttons on the edges of the two primary buttons. I think what he's talking about is having a mouse with extra buttons that aren't on the side. All of the current lineup only offers two buttons positioned that way, the ones that are used for switching DPI by default.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah, I love the buttons being on the top and on either side. It was weird at first but using anything else now takes getting used to. I ended up sticking with the G300 because paying $80 for a SUPER GAMING mouse and lowering it to 1000 dpi seems kind of a waste right now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can't loving stand the track point. I'm alone in the world apparently.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hate the keyboard clit, too.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The TrackPoint is infinitely superior to the poo poo trackpads that most laptops used to come with, even the ones on non-IBM laptops which weren't as good.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'd rather use a mouse on my pant leg than use either a trackpad or a nub. Thank goodness my next laptop will have a touchscreen.

Fake edit: Really, I only hate them because I'm horribly inaccurate with them. I struggle to hit the Start menu with anything other than a mouse.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I'd rather use a mouse on my pant leg than use either a trackpad or a nub. Thank goodness my next laptop will have a touchscreen.

Fake edit: Really, I only hate them because I'm horribly inaccurate with them. I struggle to hit the Start menu with anything other than a mouse.

If you use a mouse most of the time going to a trackpad, even a decent one, just feels like handicapping yourself. I haven't used a trackpoint in years but I remember it being similar. Strangely enough I recently got a laptop with a touchscreen and it feels faster using that than the trackpad - it's probably the touch feedback more than anything else which feels nicer than what amounts to dragging a cursor around pretty laboriously.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Roman posted:

Yeah, I love the buttons being on the top and on either side. It was weird at first but using anything else now takes getting used to. I ended up sticking with the G300 because paying $80 for a SUPER GAMING mouse and lowering it to 1000 dpi seems kind of a waste right now.

Running low DPI isn't a waste- Having adjustable DPI to flip between 6k on a windows desktop for minimum hand movement and super low DPI for extra precise aiming in games is the whole point of a fancy mouse like this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Unless your laptop has an under-clocked desktop GPU. You definitely need fans then.

Blood cooling doesn't require fans, sheesh you know nothing Ynglaur Snow.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 15, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Bought a G502. First impressions are very positive with one big caveat. I'm going to primarily compare it to the G500, which I own two of and use on a daily basis.

1. It fixes my biggest issue, by far, with the G500, which is the layout of the 3 thumb buttons, which, to be honest, I find to be just plain terrible - that was the main reason I resisted upgrading from my old G5 v2 for a long time, until finally relenting because of the lack of proper drivers on OS X. The position of the 3rd thumb button on the G502 is pretty much perfect for what I would use it most often for... once I actually can set it for that (will get to this a bit later).

2. Still has the hyper-scroll mousewheel, which is amazing and the biggest upgrade of the G500/s over the G5. It also seems like the scroll wheel tilt works a little better - will take time to truly tell, but I feel like there's less chance for accidentally middle-clicking while trying to tilt the wheel now. The non-hyper-scrolling mode is also feels quite different from the G500, but I can't really say if it's better or worse. It does the job fine, and I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

3. I think the weight adjustment system is better than in the G500 and G5, as the additional weights are less concentrated in area and easier to put in. But this is something that I'm only going to do once or twice at most, so not a big deal.

4. I'm not sure what to think of the shape yet. Dating back to the MX700, I've used almost nothing but Logitech mice of the same basic shape (during that span, I've owned MX700 x 2, MX500 x 3, MX510 x 1, G5 v2 x 1, and G500 x 2), so obviously I have great affinity for that shape. The G502 is different, but not massively. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

5. And finally, the issue I have with the mouse - I can't use it on the computers I want to, yet. While it's a gaming mouse, I actually am not going to replace the mouse that I currently have on my gaming PC, which is a G600 (I play a lot of MMOs, and among them is one that still uses the old game design model of giving you a bazillion different abilities and hotbars (SWTOR), so I really can't give that up). What I'd like to use the G502 on, is my OS X machine. Having a 3rd thumb button is perfect for activating Expose (or Misson Control, whatever - it'll always be Expose to me), and the improved location of that button on the G502, along with the better tilting scrollwheel, would make it a great upgrade for me. Unfortunately, there is no OS X support yet, and as far as I know there's no way to configure the buttons to the functions I want them to without using a OS X version of Logitech Gaming Software - I can use the Windows version of LGS to set things like DPI and generic buttons, but there's no way to assign the OS X-specific functions/keybinds. So for now, I'm using the G502 on my work laptop, taking advantage of basically none of the upgrades it offers over the G500 that I had been using. =/

goo: do you have much to do with the driver development side of things, especially for OS X? As I mentioned earlier in this post, I'm a big fan of Logitech mice, but the one bad thing I have to say is that the drivers for Mac OS are, honestly, severely lacking. Hell, even for my G500, I have to use an older version of LGS because the latest version causes problems, and there's been no update for that in half a year. Because honestly, I think the G502 has a good chance to supplant the G5 v2 as my favorite mouse ever, and with OS X support I'd buy another one, instead of ponder returning this one that I already bought because I can't use it on the computer I want to.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 14, 2014

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
PAX East almost killed me but I'm back and will try to answer some specific comments/questions you posted while I was there.

Dogen posted:

Thanks, Goo :mad: I feel like I just bought the 500s.

Seriously though it's sitting at home waiting for me and I'm very excited to try it out.

Happens every product launch, and it kind of makes me sad. Unfortunately I can't tell people that we're about launch awesome new stuff. Hope you're enjoying it.

Cathair posted:

I haven't been able to play with the sensor calibration at all, because the Logitech software update that adds support for the G502 is completely broken. I'm one of a number of users who have it just quit instantly upon starting. Can't even customize my DPI settings right now. However, I've been impressed with its performance with no driver support. The DPI setting closest to what I'm used to is still faster than I'd like, but I haven't had too much trouble adapting in games because the tracking is so drat good. For example, using full-auto weapons with high recoil in shooters, I've actually been having a slightly easier time keeping crosshairs on target, despite not being used to the mouse and settings. I'm really looking forward to whenever they get the software unfucked so I can tweak this thing.

Got a question for Goo: what do you recommend using to clean this mouse? I use denatured alcohol to clean my keyboard keys and ceramic plate 'mousepad', and while it's generally not paint-safe, would it harm the rubber on the sides?

P.S. I liked the TechBargains video you did on the G502. It's cool to see someone who enjoys what they're doing, rather than another soulless marketing spiel. :shobon:

Crash issue is being worked on with all haste. Last info I got is that it may be related to having a G15 or G105 MW3 edition plugged in. Do you have one of those keyboards?

I recommend using a mild soap and either a damp cloth or possibly a toothbrush or cotton swab. I will check to make sure that it is TPU (rather than TPE or TPR), and if so you can use a small amount of an alcohol-based solution but don't immerse it or anything and wipe it off immediately after cleaning. If it's TPE alcohol will act as a solvent.

Thanks for the encouragement on the video. I hate doing those because I am so aware that there is a good reason I am not paid to be on camera. I don't know how other people who are bad at being on camera manage to not care about how awful they are.

Ynglaur posted:

This thread should be renamed to have this appended.
Should I buy a $100 mouse? - It still won't help you rage in League

I was pretty proud of myself for that. I have a friend at Riot who IMed me "Clicking and raging? Seriously?" after he watched it.

Dogen posted:

I like everything about it EXCEPT that it's a little bit shorter in height than the G500/S. Love the scroll wheel. The shift button is interesting but it might be better for me as a toggle so you don't have to hold it down. I would imagine that is something you can change in software. The sensor is great, much smoother than the G500.

Also I feel kind of sad for the guy who designs these fancy weight systems... I guess someone uses them or they wouldn't get put in the mouse, but no one I know does. It's crazy and overdesigned though if for some reason that is a feature you want.
There is a function to cycle DPI levels in the software, but if you want to set it as a toggle you have to restrict yourself to two levels.

The weights are a difficult thing. If we don't put them in people talk about how mice without weights are fail, and if we do put them in other people complain the mouse is already too heavy and weights are unnecessary. Personal preference is funny.

GokieKS posted:

goo: do you have much to do with the driver development side of things, especially for OS X? As I mentioned earlier in this post, I'm a big fan of Logitech mice, but the one bad thing I have to say is that the drivers for Mac OS are, honestly, severely lacking. Hell, even for my G500, I have to use an older version of LGS because the latest version causes problems, and there's been no update for that in half a year. Because honestly, I think the G502 has a good chance to supplant the G5 v2 as my favorite mouse ever, and with OS X support I'd buy another one, instead of ponder returning this one that I already bought because I can't use it on the computer I want to.

I've got no updates on OSX, unfortunately, but I do really want it to happen.

Goo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 15, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I was looking at reviews today and escapist's said it was a laser sensor :what:

I realize they're reporting from the floor of a huge convention or whatever but come on.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Despite the fact that they were clearly illuminated by a red LED, people have been calling non-ball sensors "laser" sensors since they first came out. Everyone wants to believe it's a laser because of course lasers are the most awesome way possible to move your cursor around. It's just common sense.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
Are the cheap gigabyte mice any good?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Goo posted:

Crash issue is being worked on with all haste. Last info I got is that it may be related to having a G15 or G105 MW3 edition plugged in. Do you have one of those keyboards?

Yeah, I have G15. I kept up with the thread on this in the Logitech forums, and it does indeed seem to be an issue with the keyboards. I tried unplugging mine and installing the new software, using the virtual keyboard as necessary, and it worked fine.

Funny thing is, after I uninstalled the new software and reinstalled the old, my G502 retained the DPI level settings that I had set in the new software. No idea if it would retain a tracking profile, I reverted to the factory default after my tries at a custom setting were, for some reason, slightly less smooth and accurate than the default. I've got what I need, one way or another, so I'm happy with it.

Goo posted:

I recommend using a mild soap and either a damp cloth or possibly a toothbrush or cotton swab. I will check to make sure that it is TPU (rather than TPE or TPR), and if so you can use a small amount of an alcohol-based solution but don't immerse it or anything and wipe it off immediately after cleaning. If it's TPE alcohol will act as a solvent.

Okay, thanks for checking! Only reason I like denatured alcohol so much is that it's the best thing I've found for taking off skin oils without leaving any residue or film. It is relatively hazardous to use amongst a bunch of plastics though, and I use it sparingly.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
So yeah, it's TPU - but to be safe don't use a ton of alcohol on it or let it sit for a long time. It's hard to say how it would react and I don't have any denatured alcohol here at home to test. Really mild soap and scrubbing is safer.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

malefactor posted:

such a good mouse :3:

Seriously the best mouse I've ever used. I need to get another one soon in case they run out.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Goo what are the chances of a mouse exactly like the g700s being made but not having god awful rubbish battery life? I love the form factor and the wired/wireless option but the battery life is terrible even on the lowest battery usage mode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Finnin posted:

Are the cheap gigabyte mice any good?

Partial list of things that can indicate a lovely product:

- Cheap
- Made by Gigabyte

I think you may have an issue there.

big mean giraffe posted:

Goo what are the chances of a mouse exactly like the g700s being made but not having god awful rubbish battery life? I love the form factor and the wired/wireless option but the battery life is terrible even on the lowest battery usage mode.

My suspicion is that rechargeable batteries are just rubbish at lasting a long time.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

big mean giraffe posted:

I cannot participate in speculation about future products.

The Lord Bude posted:

My suspicion is that rechargeable batteries are just rubbish at lasting a long time.

I use NiMH batteries (taken from prototype G700s units) in my G602 at work, and get around 3 months of usage out of them. G700/G700s have short battery life due to the power consumption of the sensor, not the capabilities of NiMH batteries.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm about 99% sure my SO got me a G502 mouse for a birthday present. Waiting until the weekend for new hardware suuuucks. Also I'm struggling to think of a geekier present than an $80 mouse...

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

ShaneB posted:

I'm about 99% sure my SO got me a G502 mouse for a birthday present. Waiting until the weekend for new hardware suuuucks. Also I'm struggling to think of a geekier present than an $80 mouse...
Don't worry, Razer has you covered:
http://www.razerzone.com/nabu/notifications

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I already own a pebble :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

They pushed back the developer release until later this year. I was interested in it but now I'm not.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

poo poo, that's a real thing? I legit thought it was another one of their April Fools' things when I saw it, like that glove thing.

What is even happening anymore.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

By all accounts, the G602 has excellent battery life. It's not identical to the G700s, but is very similar. If you're in the US, Best Buy usually has them on display so you can see if the slightly different button layout and shape work for you. I currently have a G700 and plan to side-grade as soon as I can justify the expense for the mild inconvenience of plugging in a mouse a few times a day.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

By all accounts, the G602 has excellent battery life. It's not identical to the G700s, but is very similar. If you're in the US, Best Buy usually has them on display so you can see if the slightly different button layout and shape work for you. I currently have a G700 and plan to side-grade as soon as I can justify the expense for the mild inconvenience of plugging in a mouse a few times a day.

I bought my G602 in mid to late January. Batteries are still going, despite 4-6 hours of use per day (some in performance mode.) This is even despite the fact that the batteries the mouse comes with are regular cheap super heavy duties, not expensive lithium ones like I would have bought.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm not even going to bother RMAing the poorly constructed Coolermaster mouse I previously purchased. I'm going straight for the new Logitech one. Has all the features I want, ticks every box perfectly, and I feel like I can count on Logitech to put out a loving quality mouse much more than the sort of "we make everything now!" OEM-centric peripheral rebranders, even Corsair (despite the fact that I do feel that their products are a step above, certainly the Coolermaster or Thermaltake e-sports series which are made by the same damned company and both have significant design flaws in their wheels).

Logitech can compete on features, build quality, and arguably be superior on certain specific things if you (like me) actually really like their mousewheel - I've been digging the clickable scroll/freewheel thing since forever - and their warranty isn't a series of loving flaming hoops. I'm responsible for, it appears, about 15% of the initial cost of the mouse itself, not including initial shipping, just to get warranty service for this Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance II. That's bullshit. No thanks.

Corsair has a much better customer service approach (seriously, they're great if you get them on the phone) and gave me a replacement keyboard because of an incredibly minor problem, and it was a used keyboard at that, probably two years-ish old; that is really going out of their way to be cool about customer service. I don't include them in the "awful OEM bullshit" category because they're actually trying, here. But I trust Logitech as a brand much more. Microsoft would be a good second choice for me but I don't like any of their current offerings.

I'm not keen on the '80s sports car aesthetics of the thing, it looks like a loving Gundam or something, but I also have a strong feeling that despite its appearance it will, in fact, be quite comfortable to use, because over five or six Logitech mice now I have never had one that was uncomfortable. They've had ergonomics nailed for ages.

Free opinions, get yours today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I should make a note of when I change batteries in my 602. Had it since november-ish and I think I had to change once?