Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Astonishing Wolverine & Spider-Man is absolutely amazing. Astonishing, even. Everything Aaron touches is as awesome as it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BadAstronaut posted:

Who is the intended audience for this?
https://www.comixology.com/Storyteller/digital-comic/29928

If one liked the movies Labrynth and Dark Crystal, and one liked comics and stories being told, then is this one to pick up at this price?

Hmm. This seems like everyone involved is missing the point of the original show. Which was of course, using Jim Henson Studios' wizards to bring to life old fairy tales and folklore (and if you were in Europe, Greek Myths). It was a beautiful show, and my storytelling roots absolutely love it, but it really was a case of the medium being a vital element in the presentation. Just retelling old stories but drawn like how Henson would design his muppets isn't a strong selling point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm trying to catch up on some Marvel comics, are the .NOW issue still side issues that share the same number as the real thing, or does it work differently than it used to? I'm a little confused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm trying to catch up on some Marvel comics, are the .NOW issue still side issues that share the same number as the real thing, or does it work differently than it used to? I'm a little confused.

The now issues ARE the real issues. Previously we'd have Avengers #13.Au or something as well as a #13. Avengers #25.Now is the only #25 released.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

The now issues ARE the real issues. Previously we'd have Avengers #13.Au or something as well as a #13. Avengers #25.Now is the only #25 released.

Much like all the other numbering gimmicks Marvel does, this isn't confusing at all. Thanks.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Inhumanity was pretty lovely about that with some of the .INH issues being part of the regular numbering and at least one (Iron Man) not.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Much like all the other numbering gimmicks Marvel does, this isn't confusing at all. Thanks.

It's only confusing because of all the other confusing numbering that happens. Your brain balks at the very idea that a comic company isn't doing some dumb rear end numbering scheme where you have three number 25's released three months apart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

This one actually makes sense, and I wish this is how they did it before. If you bought and loved Avengers 24 and want to get the next one, there is exactly one Avengers title numbered 25, if you want the latest jumping on point, you buy the Avengers title with Now in the numbering.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 15, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Threep posted:

Inhumanity was pretty lovely about that with some of the .INH issues being part of the regular numbering and at least one (Iron Man) not.

And then Spider-Man had a completely different Inhumanity: Superior Spider-Man that wasn't a part of his numbered series at all.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
So, I might be marked as a heretic for saying this, but after reading the first two volumes of Sandman for the first time, I'm feeling like this series is just the most over-rated tripe. I mean, it's okay, but so far does not live up to the hype. Does it get better?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first two volumes are mostly traditional comic books, it isn't until after that Gaiman starts getting experimental.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shitshow posted:

So, I might be marked as a heretic for saying this, but after reading the first two volumes of Sandman for the first time, I'm feeling like this series is just the most over-rated tripe. I mean, it's okay, but so far does not live up to the hype. Does it get better?

Mine is not the majority opinion, but I think it actually gets worse. I really enjoy the first four or five volumes, but the seven or eight that come after are way too fantasy-nerdy.

But to answer your question, no, if you didn't like the first two volumes, you probably won't like the rest.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

But to answer your question, no, if you didn't like the first two volumes, you probably won't like the rest.

I would agree with this.

The second volume is Probably my favourite and I love the series so if your not on board at that point you most likely never will be...

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Shitshow posted:

It is a bit more a product of its time than Watchmen or most other great comics. I still love it because it was that great to read as a kid who didn't expect comics to treat themselves seriously and could relate a little more to Morpheus's ennui and fashion sense. If I were reading it for the first time now, I would quit soon because I'm so far past that junk and some of the best parts of the book have worked their way into main stream culture.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Try volume 3. It's a group of fantastic stand-alone stories with the main characters in the periphery.
I've been reading since the digital sale a few months ago. I'm up to Brief Lives now and the four issues in Dream Country are definitely my favorites.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had a strange thought. Has Bruce Banner ever been served?

What I mean is, the Hulk does a lot of damage. Bruce Banner must get sued all the time for that. So I was thinking, what's it like to be the guy who has to serve Bruce Banner? He might be used to it by now and no longer get angry but the first few times it would be bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aside from Superman, how many comic book heroes/villians have had a nuclear bomb dropped on them? How many survived?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wolverine, for one.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Random Stranger posted:

I had a strange thought. Has Bruce Banner ever been served?

What I mean is, the Hulk does a lot of damage. Bruce Banner must get sued all the time for that. So I was thinking, what's it like to be the guy who has to serve Bruce Banner? He might be used to it by now and no longer get angry but the first few times it would be bad.

I imagine insurance companies treat it like an Act of God. We offer full flood, fire, and Hulk protection!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Teenage Fansub posted:

Try volume 3. It's a group of fantastic stand-alone stories with the main characters in the periphery.
I've been reading since the digital sale a few months ago. I'm up to Brief Lives now and the four issues in Dream Country are definitely my favorites.

I would in turn say my favorite arc is World's End, which is also primarily an anthology bit. Once upon a time I was a serious, serious hard core Gaiman fan-boy, so I've read a lot of his stuff. It's funny how, regardless of whether it's in comics or just prose, but his best work is always his short pieces.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

zoux posted:

Aside from Superman, how many comic book heroes/villians have had a nuclear bomb dropped on them? How many survived?

Obvious Answer: The Hulk, multiple times, for obvious thematic reasons.

Obscure Answer: Team 7, a group containing Wildstorm characters like Grifter, Deathblow, and Alex Fairchild.

E: all survivors, mind.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 15, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I've heard that Luke Cage survived a nuclear blast in Age of Ultron, but I haven't read the comic in question myself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Obvious Answer: The Hulk, multiple times, for obvious thematic reasons.

Obscure Answer: Team 7, a group containing Wildstorm characters like Grifter, Deathblow, and Alex Fairchild.

E: all survivors, mind.

OK hypothetically now, which dudes could take a nuke to the face and live?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Wolverine, for one.

Wolverine's pants, for another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Captain Atom.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

zoux posted:

Could?
Juggernaut
Hulk
Superman/Bizzaro/Supergirl
Doomsday
Wolverine
Cannonball - If you buy into that invulnerable while moving bit
Kitty Pride - Possibly if she can phase through the explosion and somehow survive a walk to a non-irradiated area, but that's a big if.
Galactus
Thanos
Darkseid
Wonder Woman - I think both she and Supes took a ground zero hit recently. Self inflicted IIRC.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Wonder Woman - I think both she and Supes took a ground zero hit recently. Self inflicted IIRC.

Wonder Woman survived by being wrapped in Superman's cape. I'm not sure if she's actually durable enough herself. Although it is of note that she got up and suffered zero effects of fallout, but I guess you can chalk that up to her being magic.

More answers:

Captain Marvel. Hell the whole Marvel family.
Resurrection Man
Mr. Immortal
Franklin Richards

Gag answer: Squirrel Girl.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 15, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Could?
Juggernaut
Hulk
Superman/Bizzaro/Supergirl
Doomsday
Wolverine
Kitty Pride - Possibly if she can phase through the explosion and somehow survive a walk to a non-irradiated area, but that's a big if.
Galactus
Thanos
Darkseid

Sue Storm? If she could survive the nosebleed.

Also wasn't that WW nuke caused by her splitting an atom with her sword?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

CzarChasm posted:

Not sure about this, do you have a source?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F'realz though, Wolverine being on that list is super loving stupid.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Cannonball is often phrased as "nearly invulnerable" or "practically invulnerable" when he's "blastin'". Source.

A nuke seems like it would be out of his ballpark, but given he beat up Gladiator once, it really depends on the writer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

Captain Marvel. Hell the whole Marvel family.

Wasn't Captain Marvel was killed by a bunch of nuclear missiles in Kingdom Come?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Wasn't Captain Marvel was killed by a bunch of nuclear missiles in Kingdom Come?
Well, just the one that Superman was originally going to fly up to, but yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cannonball is often phrased as "nearly invulnerable" or "practically invulnerable" when he's "blastin'". Source.

A nuke seems like it would be out of his ballpark, but given he beat up Gladiator once, it really depends on the writer.
He got a lucky punch on Gladiator through creative uses of their respective powers. It was pretty clear he would have otherwise been outclassed.

And I'd guess most of the big cosmic dudes could take a nuke - Gladiator, Silver Surfer, etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, never mind then. I was thinking theoretically.

Oh, Lobo could probably survive with his bullshit healing factor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Metal Loaf posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Not sure about this, do you have a source?

Lobdell's run on Uncanny. When CB joined the team he took a punch from Gladiator and shrugged it off pretty quickly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SiKboy posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

Magog survives a nuclear level blast when Captain Atom (I think?) blows up in Kingdom Come.

Dr. Manhattan.

Probably Apollo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

"Jason Aaron" is a key pair of words in that sentence though, Brad Meltzer's done one good comic, ever, Aaron's done a bunch.

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah, thanks. I guess I should read more of Aaron's stuff outside of WatX.

Put it this way: When Daniel Way did the "Ghost Rider's an angel" twist I was about to drop the book, and then Jason Aaron came on and made it the most badass thing ever and turned the book around instantly. Dude rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wonder Man and Vision survived a giant fantasy space nuke, nega-bomb or something.