Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So everyone is talking about this new extra 1GB of data that comes free with a new tablet purchase for existing customers.

Is that a perpetual free 1GB or do you start paying eventually?

And what if I had an existing free 200MB from an earlier tablet purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
On the nerd plan, what happens if you go over the 5GB of data? Do you get cut off,throttled, or charged more?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Nondescript Van posted:

On the nerd plan, what happens if you go over the 5GB of data? Do you get cut off,throttled, or charged more?

Throttled to edge speeds.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

So everyone is talking about this new extra 1GB of data that comes free with a new tablet purchase for existing customers.

Is that a perpetual free 1GB or do you start paying eventually?

And what if I had an existing free 200MB from an earlier tablet purchase?

Short answer is that it's only for the rest of 2014. This page explains it well.

Tmo News posted:

1. Up to 1.2 GB of free data until the end of 2014
This is a combination of two different offers. Firstly, and to get it out the way, tablet buyers have been able to get 200MB of free data for life when they buy a tablet from T-Mobile since November last year. This offer remains. And regardless of what other offers you take advantage of, you will continue to get 200MB of data per month for life when you buy a tablet. That’s not changing.

The extra 1GB is a limited time offer, and is open to new and existing customers. Now here’s where it gets a little complicated. The Ts & Cs state: “$10 off 1 GB option; after promotional period (12/31/2014) 1 GB option is $20/mo. $10 discount for qualifying voice service may continue after promotional period. $10 Voice Discount: Requires one other line of post-paid phone service on the same account”

So, technically, what appears to be happening is that you get $10 off the $20 1GB mobile internet plan that you’d normally get for opening a Mobile Broadband line as well as a voice line, plus, an additional $10 off in this promotion. This is $20 total monthly discount, effectively making the data free. You can’t get the free 1GB data without a voice plan, whether that’s an existing one or one you sign up for in store when you get your tablet. The extra $10 off your mobile data plan disappears from the end of 2014, but the $10 off, that’s been on offer for taking Mobile Broadband with your voice plan might not. Clear as a bell, right?

[Update: The extra $10 off also includes the 3GB and 5GB plans. Meaning that until the end of the year you'll pay $10 and $20 per month for those two respectively. Same terms apply in regards to needing a voice plan alongside the Mobile Broadband plan.]

This offer is open to customers buying a new tablet, trading one in or bringing their own.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Brock Landers posted:

Throttled to edge speeds.

It bears mentioning that it's really drat hard to use five gigs if you're not streaming YouTube over data or something. I've only managed to do it once with a combination of YouTube, streaming radio, and tethering my laptop.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Short answer is that it's only for the rest of 2014. This page explains it well.

Oh that's kind of boring then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got my latest T-Mobile bill. First month of service with my line officially added to it. They prorated me for 29 days of my previous month, and 30 days for the next month. I added an additional line, and did the 200MB of free tablet data for life (because why not?)

So they for some reason put me on the 2.5GB plan for data instead of the 500MB plan for my phone. So I was charged roughly $20 more than I should have been. They then charged me $20 for the tablet data, but then gave me a credit for only $10.

Had to speak with two customer service reps to get it cleared up, but it's ridiculous that I was over charged by $30 on my first bill. Most people probably wouldn't have caught that poo poo.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
In my experience - and based on other anecdotes too - T-Mobile tends to be great once you're up and running, but a pain in the rear end if they botch some step in setting up your plan.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Nihiliste posted:

In my experience - and based on other anecdotes too - T-Mobile tends to be great once you're up and running, but a pain in the rear end if they botch some step in setting up your plan.

This is the case with every telecom service.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

T-Mobile taking their troll game up a notch: https://www.change.org/petitions/wireless-carriers-abolishoverages-att-verizonwireless-and-sprint

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Legere does know online petitions are useless, right? Anyhow how does TMo handle domestic data roaming (i.e. Montana)? I seem to recall them limiting users to 50mb / month of domestic data. What happens after that? I hope its not overages. Do they kick you off of you use too much roaming data after a few months? That's worse than paying an overage fee to have more data.

At least you can data roam outside of the USA I guess.

And their motivation to have other carriers follow suit makes no sense. If ATT let me go over my data at slower speeds, I would never have a reason to sign up for TMobile.

Its like Legere is trolling just to troll in this case. He must get a high off of it?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is part of why I want to switch to T-Mobile. Maybe I should start a petition to have them expand into Nebraska.

Problem is there probably aren't enough people in Nebraska to get such a petition to rise above the background noise :v: Maybe someday.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Legere does know online petitions are useless, right?

That petition is pretty obviously just a publicity stunt to rub it in the other carrier's faces.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

That petition is pretty obviously just a publicity stunt to rub it in the other carrier's faces.

Well the name of the thread is "Our CEO trolls your CEO." Also you'd be amazed how much traction poo poo like this gets inside corporate headquarters. For some reason people who work at carriers (that I've met) are really high strung, proud of their service, and worried about these sort of things.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got Sprint to drop overages and probably ATT would shortly follow.

I bet in a couple weeks TMobile starts a TV ad campaign calling the other carriers out for this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Legere does know online petitions are useless, right? Anyhow how does TMo handle domestic data roaming (i.e. Montana)? I seem to recall them limiting users to 50mb / month of domestic data. What happens after that? I hope its not overages. Do they kick you off of you use too much roaming data after a few months? That's worse than paying an overage fee to have more data.

At least you can data roam outside of the USA I guess.

And their motivation to have other carriers follow suit makes no sense. If ATT let me go over my data at slower speeds, I would never have a reason to sign up for TMobile.

Its like Legere is trolling just to troll in this case. He must get a high off of it?

I

Stick100 posted:

Well the name of the thread is "Our CEO trolls your CEO." Also you'd be amazed how much traction poo poo like this gets inside corporate headquarters. For some reason people who work at carriers (that I've met) are really high strung, proud of their service, and worried about these sort of things.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got Sprint to drop overages and probably ATT would shortly follow.

I bet in a couple weeks TMobile starts a TV ad campaign calling the other carriers out for this.

Compare ATT plans from last September to current. It's mind blowing how much lower they are, and with better options, as a response to TMobile.

hemorrhage
Aug 7, 2003
I received an email from T-mobile today saying that as of May 1st they are removing all overage charges from my account. I had 300 minutes, 400 texts and the G1 unlimited data plan. Oh, and my rate stays the same. Kind of nice, since I was pretty often going over my voice and text minutes.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
How do we capitalize on this? Should we switch our messaging plans to lower tiered ones (I think I can switch from unlimited down to 1000 or even 100).

Or have they suddenly stopped allowing you to switch features around as well because they thought of this?

Also what if a phone had no messaging plan; is one message considered an overage?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Vulcan posted:

How do we capitalize on this? Should we switch our messaging plans to lower tiered ones (I think I can switch from unlimited down to 1000 or even 100).

Or have they suddenly stopped allowing you to switch features around as well because they thought of this?

Also what if a phone had no messaging plan; is one message considered an overage?

Isn't every plan currently offered except the Walmart one unlimited talk and text?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Question:

I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and submitted a ETF reimbursement. A month or so later I moved, updated my address with T-Mobile and set up mail-forwarding.

As Months go by, it finally gets approved. Then more time goes by and I keep checking on it. It gets "mailed" on 3/19, but the expected delivery wasnt until 4/18. So today comes and its still not here.

Online chat is useless, and was like "well it would have been mailed to your old address", for which I have mail forwarding from. I quickly found out it was useless to chat with them on live chat. So I called and then got transferred to the tmobile rebates department which had high traffic and disconnected me. And again.

I have no idea where it could be, and I am out $400+ dollars. Anyone T-Mo employees have any idea? Could I go into a store and speak with someone to get it done?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kanish posted:

Question:

I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and submitted a ETF reimbursement. A month or so later I moved, updated my address with T-Mobile and set up mail-forwarding.

As Months go by, it finally gets approved. Then more time goes by and I keep checking on it. It gets "mailed" on 3/19, but the expected delivery wasnt until 4/18. So today comes and its still not here.

Online chat is useless, and was like "well it would have been mailed to your old address", for which I have mail forwarding from. I quickly found out it was useless to chat with them on live chat. So I called and then got transferred to the tmobile rebates department which had high traffic and disconnected me. And again.

I have no idea where it could be, and I am out $400+ dollars. Anyone T-Mo employees have any idea? Could I go into a store and speak with someone to get it done?

So it sounds like:
A)it was sent to your old address
B)today was the expected delivery date
C)physical mail forwarding takes additional time
D)you aren't taking into account B & C.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

tuluk posted:

So it sounds like:
A)it was sent to your old address
B)today was the expected delivery date
C)physical mail forwarding takes additional time
D)you aren't taking into account B & C.

Nah, after spending two hours I finally got through. The card got sent and bounced back by usps and they never bothered to notify me. Im a little annoyed because the "ship" date and the delivery date were a month apart somehow. So the whole time I'm thinking its still in the mail, giving them the benefit of the doubt.

My initial reaction was talking to the online chat guy who pretty much said its been too long to do anything, where the actual reimbursement department told me it got sent back to them in March. Its just all a convoluted mess.

I also had to call verizon to work out a wrong $180 fee they sent me so that compounds my annoyance.

Anyway, long story short, they are sending me a new card so its all good now, its just complete opposite of what the initial person told me on the chat.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know if anyone has a hot spot added to their t mobile account, but I activated one for a trip I was taking and was able to reduce the monthly fee from $20, to $10, which when the month plan discount is added reduces the cost to zero. You just have to switch plan to the promotional plan. Didn't know you could get a ftee hot spot but now you can. (Through 2014 anyway) 1gb per month.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
Anyone else here have problems using T-Mobile in Seattle? I just swapped to it from AT&T and I've been having all sorts of problems. I'm all over the city because of my job and I constantly keep running into no service or edge service. Last night I was expecting messages from people related to work and I never received them. Today I decided to reboot my phone because I couldn't send a message (even though I had 3/4 bars). After rebooting about 10 messages popped up from last night/early this morning. Just wondering if it's a problem with my phone or if service just sucks here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BIFF! posted:

Anyone else here have problems using T-Mobile in Seattle? I just swapped to it from AT&T and I've been having all sorts of problems. I'm all over the city because of my job and I constantly keep running into no service or edge service. Last night I was expecting messages from people related to work and I never received them. Today I decided to reboot my phone because I couldn't send a message (even though I had 3/4 bars). After rebooting about 10 messages popped up from last night/early this morning. Just wondering if it's a problem with my phone or if service just sucks here.

I have this trouble if I go more than a week between reboots. I just figured it was my phone (older HTC).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BIFF! posted:

I haven't seen that happen, but I also use Google Voice, so except for actual voice calls, everything I do uses data.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

BIFF! posted:

Im mostly in the north end ballard areas, but occasionally further south and have never had problems with T-Mobile. Usually 4/5 bars lte. Did you double check your apn settings? Thats probably the first place id check. It seems that at least in the areas i frequent this town is littered with tmo towers

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

potentiometer posted:

Im mostly in the north end ballard areas, but occasionally further south and have never had problems with T-Mobile. Usually 4/5 bars lte. Did you double check your apn settings? Thats probably the first place id check. It seems that at least in the areas i frequent this town is littered with tmo towers

I live and work in the SLU/Belltown/Downtown area and it's rare when I don't have 5 bars of LTE on my Nexus 5.

Edit: I should also add that I have great service up through Freemont, Greenwood, and Northgate. BIFF!, in what areas are you having problems?

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

ButtaKnife posted:

I live and work in the SLU/Belltown/Downtown area and it's rare when I don't have 5 bars of LTE on my Nexus 5.

Edit: I should also add that I have great service up through Freemont, Greenwood, and Northgate. BIFF!, in what areas are you having problems?

I live in green lake but I was mostly experiencing loss of service in West Seattle. That wasn't even my biggest concern. It was more the fact that I wasn't receiving any missed calls or messages at home with 4 bars of service until I restarted my phone. That's happened twice in the week I've had my phone. If it happens again I guess I'll have to look into getting a new phone. A guy I work with told me that's happened to him before on T-Mobile.
E: it's a galaxy s5 btw.

BIFF! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 1, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

No problems using T-Mobile in Columbia City!

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Just got LTE here in SW Missouri and it is niiiice. I can torrent at near-cable speeds of 1-1.5 mBps now. I can have the next show download while I watch the previous one.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Switched a week ago from Verizon . Pretty impressed aside from the horrible building penetration. Full Ltd outside. Some barely 2g inside.

12/12 up/down in Denver. Customer service actually impressed me too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I switched over yesterday. Everyone was telling me how T Mobile would be terrible compared to Verizon and I should have gotten AT&T. I haven't really gotten full signal yet, but even at 2-3 bars, I get 15 up/down on speed tests. I also have signal inside my apartment which is the most important part. Maybe that was just due to the terrible radios inside my GNex, but apparently the radios in the HTC One M8 aren't too hot either. In any case, I'm happy so far.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

With 1-2 bars, I regularly pull 50+mbit down on T-Mo LTE. Upload seems to hang out between 2-5mbit.

It's pretty drat awesome; if tethering weren't capped so low, I would totally ditch my home internet (which is fiber to the home; that's saying a bit, I think).

That said, T-Mo is absolutely horrible once you're outside of major areas - I went 6 hours (on a 10 hour drive) with no signal whatsoever, not even roaming service, in November. The return trip was more of the same. Pretty sure next time I take a road trip, I'll be taking a lowest tier Aio or GoPhone SIM with me, just in case I get in a wreck in the middle of nowhere.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I just bought my first phone that's not a flip phone and have what might seem like a terribly stupid question. I bought the T-Mobile Concord and would like to be sure I'm not going to destroy it while attempting to remove the back cover. Do I just slip my fingernail underneath the notch and yank the thing off? I started to do that, but was getting more resistance than I'd expect from a piece that was designed to be removed. Lifting it a bit at the notch and trying to slide it off doesn't appear to be working either. I'm not seeing any helpful Google results.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If it's like 99% of phones it just pulls right off. Seeing as it barely qualified for garbage phone status when it came out in 2012 it's probably not built very well.

E: seriously if you can return it do it and buy something that's even a little decent or you're going to hate it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The phone is worth 25 dollars, I wouldn't worry about breaking it.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
I want to buy a new iPhone 5s (full price upfront) and get on the nerd plan. I think I might have made a mistake though. I've already ordered a nano SIM from T-Mobile's website for $10. Now, I'm about to buy a 5s from Apple's website and see that they offer a T-Mo nano SIM for free. Would the one that Apple bundles work for activating the nerd plan? Can I return the one I bought separately?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Spectracide posted:

I want to buy a new iPhone 5s (full price upfront) and get on the nerd plan. I think I might have made a mistake though. I've already ordered a nano SIM from T-Mobile's website for $10. Now, I'm about to buy a 5s from Apple's website and see that they offer a T-Mo nano SIM for free. Would the one that Apple bundles work for activating the nerd plan? Can I return the one I bought separately?

Either sim will work fine for that plan. Just activate it online. When the sim you ordered arrives, it should come with a prepaid return label you can use to send it back if you want.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Spectracide posted:

I'm pretty sure you want the one from the web site. The one from T-Mobile is meant to be for the post paid plans ($50+) and doesn't come with an activation code. I think that was the problem with another goon and it took a long time to get it fixed. I would just forget Apple gave you one. Also, you have to register the SIM online.

EDIT: I could be totally full of poo poo and Brock Landers is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

Brock Landers posted:

Either sim will work fine for that plan. Just activate it online. When the sim you ordered arrives, it should come with a prepaid return label you can use to send it back if you want.

Well, there's no harm in getting the one from Apple for free and trying it. I'll report back with how it goes in a day or two. Thanks for the replies.